• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

This isn't in a NA patch yet, right?

Not sure, doesn't seem so. There are two versions of the game: One for Japan and Asia eShops, published by NIS, with English/JPN text support, and the other for Europe and North America published by NISA, with English/French text.

I've got the former, so hopefully the update is on its way. Was surprised to see it appear this evening, there's nothing on NIS's Japanese site.

For some reason, I can't get mine online. I try to open the netherworld browser and I get an error that it can't connect because my Switch entered sleep mode, or some such. Mario Kart connects fine and I was able to play the last Arms test. It seems like it's just Disgaea that's giving me issues.

I got a carnage arcadia.

When I'm getting my trap, should I not bother unless the trap I'm stealing from item god 2 is legendary? Or is it guaranteed legendary from item god 2? Can I reset at floor 99 over and over for a legendary one?

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
For some reason, I can't get mine online. I try to open the netherworld browser and I get an error that it can't connect because my Switch entered sleep mode, or some such. Mario Kart connects fine and I was able to play the last Arms test. It seems like it's just Disgaea that's giving me issues.

Turn your switch all the way off and then back on.

Idk worked for me

OmegaDL50

I got a carnage arcadia.

When I'm getting my trap, should I not bother unless the trap I'm stealing from item god 2 is legendary? Or is it guaranteed legendary from item god 2? Can I reset at floor 99 over and over for a legendary one?

Yeah I just my Carnage Arcadia too.

From what I understand IG2 does not show up unless you have an item that is at least level 80, once you fufill this requirement the IG2 will show up on the *00th floor of a item (i.e 100, 200, 300, and so forth)

But yeah once you get your level 80 Carnage Arcadia just use a Gency on the 99th floor of the item. Save the game and re-enter the item to the 100th floor, and if you don't see the Legendary Trapezohedron then just quit and reload your save and try again.

Another useful tip is Artina has a Evility that when you steal an item it increases it's rarity by 20.

So with this you can steal a Legendary Trapezohedron with a 70 Rarity, needing only to raise it 30 more for Epic rarity rather than another 50 to hit the Rarity cap.

How far in the game should I play before I start worrying about levels, classes, items, etc.?

I'm at the end of chapter 2 and just plowing through. It's easy. But I'm not really feeling much depth so far.

AniHawk

I'd love to get sales numbers. Must be blowing away their expectations.

it's made them look at switch very favorably. steam was a project that nisa is mainly in charge of - switch could be very similar when it comes to additional titles. touhou kobuto v happening and pushing back the ps4 version is an early sign of their willingness to support the platform with content.

don't expect anything for e3, but expect to start hearing about more stuff soon.

Cerium

it's made them look at switch very favorably. steam was a project that nisa is mainly in charge of - switch could be very similar when it comes to additional titles. touhou kobuto v happening and pushing back the ps4 version is an early sign of their willingness to support the platform with content.

don't expect anything for e3, but expect to start hearing about more stuff soon.
Very cool. 👍

Yeah I just my Carnage Arcadia too.

From what I understand IG2 does not show up unless you have an item that is at least level 80, once you fufill this requirement the IG2 will show up on the *00th floor of a item (i.e 100, 200, 300, and so forth)

But yeah once you get your level 80 Carnage Arcadia just use a Gency on the 99th floor of the item. Save the game and re-enter the item to the 100th floor, and if you don't see the Legendary Trapezohedron then just quit and reload your save and try again.

Another useful tip is Artina has a Evility that when you steal an item it increases it's rarity by 20.

So with this you can steal a Legendary Trapezohedron with a 70 Rarity, needing only to raise it 30 more for Epic rarity rather than another 50 to hit the Rarity cap.

I'm having a really hard time just leveling the arcadia without getting killed somehow 5 floors in. I've got a full land decimator setup, key characters with 10 million stats + 10 million from shards and such, getting boosted to maybe 35 million with various evilities...inevitably I don't quite kill something and it comes and kills me. Or I get stuck fighting something really difficult with stats in the 50 million range.

OmegaDL50

50 Million? That seems a bit high. You don't have Enemy Strength set at 20 Stars do you? It's not necessary to have maxed out Enemy Strength when getting a level 80 Arcadia just to grab a Trapezohedron.

Thankfully with the Alchemy Shop you can make an endless supply of Mr. Gency's and Diver 10's.

Getting a Trapezohedron is probably the hardest grind in the entire post-game in my opinion. Sometimes you can simply cheese some Item World floors by using a Geo Symbol chain-reaction doing massive damage to all the enemies and using really powerful spells like Tera Star to pick them off to proceed floor by floor.

If one of your major players gets killed off, use a Mr. Gency to leave, rest up at the Hospital (Or if you have that auto-heal thing on the Cheat Shop on), then re-enter the item and try again.

The biggest problem is that enemy strength inside an Item World is tied to the items level itself, so as your Arcadia gets higher and higher in levels, the challenge just gets ever more steeper.

I have enemies set to 20 stars based on some other advice I saw. So are 20 stars necessary when actually encountering the item god, but not for general leveling?

Also good to know I can leave, I thought I read somewhere there are certain item world activities that require you to not leave, to tough it out for so many floors.

OmegaDL50

I have enemies set to 20 stars based on some other advice I saw. So are 20 stars necessary when actually encountering the item god, but not for general leveling?

Also good to know I can leave, I thought I read somewhere there are certain item world activities that require you to not leave, to tough it out for so many floors.

20 Stars in Item World is only necessary when leveling up an item itself to increase it's stats for the kill bonus which caps at 400, once you hit this 400 cap, you can lower the difficulty to 0 stars because the training bonus has no impact on the items level, only it's rarity.

If you plan to just rush to get the Trapezohedron as quickly as possible, then it's there is no need to make the journey that much harder having 20 Star difficulty, unless you absolutely want to improve the stats of your Arcadia.

Once you get your hands on a Legendary Trapezohedron, at that point you will want to have the 20 Star difficulty to get the 400 Kill Bonus as quickly as possible.

At that point you probably be spamming Divers (Don't forget the Boss Floor Forever option) to go as deep as you possibly can killing every Item General / King / God along the way to like floor 6000+ for higher dupe chances while simultaneously increasing the kill bonus for the General / King / God kills.

Every 1000 floors is 10% chance to dupe success, so at floor 10,000 that is a 100% success to dupe a ton of Trapezohedrons to fully outfit your team with the best armor equip in the game.

Yeah, taking it off 20 stars was a big help, also not swinging at every pitch that came along in the form of mystery rooms. :)

I almost screwed up...I paid the egg person to drop eggs on 10 floors and they brought Proto Darkdeath on one floor...sure I could've warped out but I'm trying to keep a lead on levels. Fortunately it was a floor with invincible panels! And I whittled him down.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I unlocked the item world. Like 15 hours in.

I'm having trouble clearing the geo panels when there isn't an extra color, or when there's an invincibility effect.

Switch has been moving a lot of software.

I mentioned this elsewhere on GAF, but it seems like some companies are making crazy low numbers of their games. I find it insane that Binding of Isaac sold out, and had to be reprinted. and I Am Setsuna is just sold out, with seemingly no reprint coming. There are thousands of people out there still hunting for a Switch, how are companies still not making enough copies to meet demand? And how fucked are people going to be who get a Switch in a year or two who find that some older games are near impossible to find without paying inflated used prices like with Setsuna (or going digital, of course)? Just kind of weird.

Vena

I mentioned this elsewhere on GAF, but it seems like some companies are making crazy low numbers of their games. I find it insane that Binding of Isaac sold out, and had to be reprinted. and I Am Setsuna is just sold out, with seemingly no reprint coming. There are thousands of people out there still hunting for a Switch, how are companies still not making enough copies to meet demand? And how fucked are people going to be who get a Switch in a year or two who find that some older games are near impossible to find without paying inflated used prices like with Setsuna (or going digital, of course)? Just kind of weird.

BoI had a pretty big initial shipment, though I don't know how large the reprint was but I remember seeing multiple copies of the first in gamestops and such that I visited early on.

IAS just had a tiny print run, but this seems par for SE right now with all their releases. Densetsu Collection is seemingly ~50k and that's likely not going to last. In as of so far, Switch software at retail in Japan has avoided price collapse seemingly unilaterally due to low supply/high demand.

AniHawk

binding of isaac, disgaea, and puyo puyo tetris have all been outperforming expectations. it's a matter of demand and not low print runs.

So just to confirm how to handle this carnage trapezohedron.

- Load it up with 50,000 dieticians (plus more every time it gains slots?)
- Set it to item leveling path
- Turn on boss floor forever and 20 star difficulty
- Just kill everything every floor until the item level is 500, the kill bonus is 400, and training bonus is maxed out, in no particular order
- When those are done, equip explorer evility and set it to mystery room path
- Work toward duplicates and unique innocents

And nothing in this process will screw up the trap?

I can lower the stars back to 0 after I get the kill bonus to 400, and keep them there with no negative effects?

No reason to worry about going too few or too many floors down, until I focus on duping and need to descend faster?

Nothing you can do can screw it up yes.

FWIW I load it up with innocents I want to duplicate and use the Mystery Room path immediately. Doing so allows me to use the duplicate Traps as I am going, which means I can keep up with enemy difficulty much easier.

I don't know where Omega's "10% per 1000 floors" comes from, but I find it difficult to believe. I have way way too much success at duplicating on low level floors for me to believe I'm doing so with like a 5% chance.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

FWIW I load it up with innocents I want to duplicate and use the Mystery Room path immediately. Doing so allows me to use the duplicate Traps as I am going, which means I can keep up with enemy difficulty much easier.

I don't know where Omega's "10% per 1000 floors" comes from, but I find it difficult to believe. I have way way too much success at duplicating on low level floors for me to believe I'm doing so with like a 5% chance.

what language are you typing in ?

binding of isaac, disgaea, and puyo puyo tetris have all been outperforming expectations. it's a matter of demand and not low print runs.

But, it's the same thing. They aren't making enough copies because of low expectations. I mean, obviously they aren't making low prints because they don't want more sales. Mario Kart 8 was the number one selling game of April, but you will find plenty of copies everywhere you go. And that's pretty much always the case with PS4 and XOne games. That's why preordering shit is usually a joke, 'cause stores get plenty of copies and you're usually guaranteed to find full shelves on release day even for the biggest releases of the year.

My real question is, how quick/easy is it for companies to make more of their games? The Binding of Isaac situation just struck me as strange. Why was it ever even announced that they ran out of copies and were making a second run, instead of just making more and them steadily showing up in stores as usual?

Like I was getting at in my first post, the current number of Switch owners are a tiny fraction of how many people will end up owning it over its life. So, it seems weird to me that already games are selling out. And it makes me wonder if there are going to be games that become rare because a year later companies are going to stop making them. Which happens on other consoles, but is pretty rare.

Doesn't it get some benefit from the dieticians, raising its own HP as you increase training or kill bonus? I forget how that works.

what language are you typing in ?
What?

Doesn't it get some benefit from the dieticians, raising its own HP as you increase training or kill bonus? I forget how that works.

HP is the slowest stat to cap when building an item, so using Dieticians will make it happen faster, as you will get a bonus every time you kill an item world boss with a Dietician in the item.

I just worry more about keeping up with the enemy power curve as I go than I do about capping HP faster.

So just to confirm how to handle this carnage trapezohedron.

- Load it up with 50,000 dieticians (plus more every time it gains slots?)
- Set it to item leveling path
- Turn on boss floor forever and 20 star difficulty
- Just kill everything every floor until the item level is 500, the kill bonus is 400, and training bonus is maxed out, in no particular order
- When those are done, equip explorer evility and set it to mystery room path
- Work toward duplicates and unique innocents

And nothing in this process will screw up the trap?

I can lower the stars back to 0 after I get the kill bonus to 400, and keep them there with no negative effects?

No reason to worry about going too few or too many floors down, until I focus on duping and need to descend faster?

This is where I'm at right now. I started to level a Trap, but I guess I'm doing it the long way since I didn't start at 20 stars nor did I stack Dieticians. Going to start over with another Trap and equip this one. When I get stronger, I'll go back in and finish. Glad to hear there's no way to mess an item up.

Yea, trying to keep up with enemy scaling is what's slowing me down.

When it comes to the Ultimate weapons, like the Baal Sword, is there anything special in terms of leveling?

Samemind

So a while back I posted in this thread about crashing during a long session in the IW.
Two questions:

Does going multiple tens of floors in a row affect the item's growth? Like I'm not cheating myself if I back out every 10 floors to save?

And did I get really lucky with finding the tower climbing mystery room twice and it worked both times in that single lost session? I only got it once since then and it failed to dupe it.

OmegaDL50

So a while back I posted in this thread about crashing during a long session in the IW.
Two questions:

Does going multiple tens of floors in a row affect the item's growth? Like I'm not cheating myself if I back out every 10 floors to save?

And did I get really lucky with finding the tower climbing mystery room twice and it worked both times in that single lost session? I only got it once since then and it failed to dupe it.

No. The most important thing for an items growth is getting the Kill Bonus to 400 which goes the quickest at 20 Star difficulty.

The Training Bonus isn't impacted by difficulty but rather how many Mystery Rooms you clear and Invaders you defeat. The Explorer Evility will help with this since it increases the frequency of Mystery Room encounters and thus more Training Bonus. (I suppose the Adventuring Spirit Evility is useful too for the extra levels every 3rd floor cleared in Item World)

Leaving the item world every 10 floors does not reset its growth chances.

At a 400 Kill Bonus, you can simply skip the floors and concentrate on the Mystery Rooms and Item Bosses to get your Training Bonus up. One quick way is to set the Item Boss Floor Forever in the Cheat Shop to ON and use Diver-10s to skip straight to the Item Bosses. Once you max out both the Kill and Training Bonuses, then you can go hunting for the Duplication Mystery Room to try and dupe the now maxed Trap.

In the PS4 version it has been confirmed by several members that the percentages for dupe success is tied to how many floors you cleared. The higher the floor count the higher dupe success chance.

A Carnage Trapezohedron max stats 400 Million for HP, and 2 Million for everything else.

For the Item Assembly HP bills are a good option, but Jump and Movement are viable as well to basically make the Trap to make up for the lack of shoes.

Mystery Room route would be notable consideration as well for the higher chance of running into the Item Duplication Room.

OmegaDL50

Sorry for the Double post but I figure this might be interesting to note what would be the optimal true ultimate max stats for a character's armor to have in Disgaea 5's super late post game.

10 Million Stats from Levels / Class Masteries
10 Million Stats from Shards / Extracts
20 Million for Evility boosts (100% cap for double stats)

Carnage Trapezohedron stats are 2 Million each times 3 equipment slots = 6 Million.
6 Million + 100% (Epic Rarity) = 12 Million.
30% Additional Stats for Same Bonus in Use (Matching Rarity for 3 items)
12 + 30% = 15.6 Million
15.6 Million + 300% Equipment Aptitudes = 46.8 Million

Factoring weapons is variable depending on what sort of weapon it is.

But all in all with the above setup on a character should have nearly 87 Million Stats

The additional 13 Million for the 99 Million Cap will probably come from weapons.

AniHawk

But, it's the same thing. They aren't making enough copies because of low expectations. I mean, obviously they aren't making low prints because they don't want more sales. Mario Kart 8 was the number one selling game of April, but you will find plenty of copies everywhere you go. And that's pretty much always the case with PS4 and XOne games. That's why preordering shit is usually a joke, 'cause stores get plenty of copies and you're usually guaranteed to find full shelves on release day even for the biggest releases of the year.

My real question is, how quick/easy is it for companies to make more of their games? The Binding of Isaac situation just struck me as strange. Why was it ever even announced that they ran out of copies and were making a second run, instead of just making more and them steadily showing up in stores as usual?

Like I was getting at in my first post, the current number of Switch owners are a tiny fraction of how many people will end up owning it over its life. So, it seems weird to me that already games are selling out. And it makes me wonder if there are going to be games that become rare because a year later companies are going to stop making them. Which happens on other consoles, but is pretty rare.

preordering games is incredibly important to smaller companies. amazon and gamestop will usually only order a one-time quantity of titles and maybe never do it again. the binding of isaac is a very rare event.

ordering games can take anywhere between a month to two months. for something that is slated right near launch, it means that retailers probably had to guess based on nothing, and for salespeople to do a good job in talking up their games. nintendo made zelda 1:1 with the platform and konami did a good job in getting enough bombermans out there. the binding of isaac was a situation where retailers misread demand and it led to the game selling out.

and if something sells out - you want to make an announcement. it's good marketing. it means that your game is so popular that you have to make more, and it's letting people know that more stock is arriving.

for something like the binding of isaac or disgaea - you'll see them on shelves as long as retailers order them. if games sell out, it's not a matter of publishers being told to make more - it's a matter of retailers asking publishers for more stock.

mstevens

Just hit act 3. Already feeling a little overwhelmed with all the possible things I could be doing, and I know the options get much more diverse later on. Should I just be worried about leveling up the main squad and finishing the story first?

Every time I think about recruiting someone, I think about how I could recruit them as a higher level later on and reduce grinding.

Fireblend

Banned
Just hit act 3. Already feeling a little overwhelmed with all the possible things I could be doing, and I know the options get much more diverse later on. Should I just be worried about leveling up the main squad and finishing the story first?

Every time I think about recruiting someone, I think about how I could recruit them as a higher level later on and reduce grinding.
I'm focusing on the story with the occasional incursion to the Item world and I'm 30+ hours in with no end in sight. Don't worry, you're far from the optimization/crazy postgame part of the game.

And recruit away, gaining levels is trivial once you get access to the item world, cheat shop and good grinding spots. I got like 25 levels for 10 characters (from 65 to 90 or so) in 10 mins today by upping experience to like 280% :p

In the PS4 version it has been confirmed by several members that the percentages for dupe success is tied to how many floors you cleared. The higher the floor count the higher dupe success chance.

Yes, but every indication I've ever seen says it starts at like 50% even in the earliest levels. I wasn't questioning the higher dupe on higher floors, I was questioning the "10% per 1000 floors" claim.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Geo panel chains trip me up. I wish there was a "preview mode" feature where you can oggle color changes sequentially.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as a port beg. I've got a hankering to try one of these games out, but I don't have a switch yet and probably won't get one until 2018 sometime. Or until Mario breaks me but anyway.

Consoles I have access to easily-

3DS
iPad (new one)
a decent PC
Xbox One
PS4 Pro
Wii U

What should I jump in on? There are so many now and different versions of each. I'm in Australia if that makes a difference. What's a good starting off point for a beginner? The PS4 version seems to be my preference, but what is missing from the 'complete' edition on Switch? Should I just wait?

OmegaDL50

Hopefully this doesn't come across as a port beg. I've got a hankering to try one of these games out, but I don't have a switch yet and probably won't get one until 2018 sometime. Or until Mario breaks me but anyway.

Consoles I have access to easily-

3DS
iPad (new one)
a decent PC
Xbox One
PS4 Pro
Wii U

What should I jump in on? There are so many now and different versions of each. I'm in Australia if that makes a difference. What's a good starting off point for a beginner? The PS4 version seems to be my preference, but what is missing from the 'complete' edition on Switch? Should I just wait?

The PS4 version of Disgaea 5 plus it's Season Pass basically is Disgaea 5 Complete. Outside of a minor pre-order exclusive from Gamestop which was for a Bunny costume for one of the main characters. With that the PS4 + all DLC is essentially content comparable with the Switch release.

I may suggest picking up Disgaea 1 PC on Steam since you said you had a gaming PC, as that is the introduction to the Netherverse, however it is the weakest in the series mechanically. Each game just builds upon the previous installment truncating redundant mechanics and adding entirely new ones, so with that said Disgaea 5 is the most refined from a gameplay standpoint compared to the previous titles, and I won't be surprised that Disgaea 6 refines the formula even more from Disgaea 5.

Storyline wise there is no direct connections for each game. Meaning you are not required to play each game in order to understand everything, however there IS various cameos and references to other games, as well as some returning characters from previous games that show up as bonus recruits, so jumping into D5 the origin of these characters may be lost on you and the references they make in their text dialog might not make sense, but not so much to take you out of the game.

If you plan to eventually get a Switch, I say if you absolutely cannot wait, get the PS4 version, or get Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2 PC during the Steam Summer sale (Grab Phantom Brave too I suppose)

Play those games get a feel for the mechanics see how the gradual improvements are from D1 to D2. Then 2018 should roll around by then Disgaea 5 Complete will still be available to pick up when you get a Switch then, or likely released on Steam, which at that point you will be somewhat acquainted with Disgaea's level of chaos, only to just take everything up to 11 in Disgaea 5.

Abylim

So is it worth it to give people my magic extracts from interrogating prisoners? Or is it wasted when I reincarnate?

I also think I'm over doing it. Chapter 8 73 hours played. 1 level 800 and 9 level 500+'s lol. My level 800 is a dark knight with 120k attack and 60k in most other stats. I know it's chump change to the post game but my god I feel like a beast lol

Increasing movement in the character world really opens up the game, imo. Everyone having 9 or more, with a shoe equipped has made the item world a breeze. I found an evil itv that makes my dark knight fly, too which is just crazy.

OmegaDL50

So is it worth it to give people my magic extracts from interrogating prisoners? Or is it wasted when I reincarnate?

I also think I'm over doing it. Chapter 8 73 hours played. 1 level 800 and 9 level 500+'s lol. My level 800 is a dark knight with 120k attack and 60k in most other stats. I know it's chump change to the post game but my god I feel like a beast lol

Increasing movement in the character world really opens up the game, imo. Everyone having 9 or more, with a shoe equipped has made the item world a breeze. I found an evil itv that makes my dark knight fly, too which is just crazy.

Extracts and Shards are one of the methods for stat maximization.

However it's wasted if you don't use it without the Maid's Licensed Caregiver Evility. Since that lets you use an item on 5 characters at once rather than just one character getting permanent boost.

Shards and Extracts are permanent upgrades that stay with a character regardless how many times you reincarnate, however they have no influence on your stat growth for leveling up, but rather treated as their own separate stat pool entirely.

You have 10 Million stats for leveling up and mastering classes, and an additional 10 million for Shards and Extracts. So saving as many shards and extracts to combine them into a single super shard / extract later on might be worthwhile to consider.

Abylim

Extracts and Shards are one of the methods for stat maximization.

However it's wasted if you don't use it without the Maid's Licensed Caregiver Evility. Since that lets you use an item on 5 characters at once rather than just one character getting permanent boost.

Shards and Extracts are permanent upgrades that stay with a character regardless how many times you reincarnate, however they have no influence on your stat growth for leveling up, but rather treated as their own separate stat pool entirely.

You have 10 Million stats for leveling up and mastering classes, and an additional 10 million for Shards and Extracts. So saving as many shards and extracts to combine them into a single super shard / extract later on might be worthwhile to consider.
Duuuuuuuude. That's awesome.

I had a ton of level 435 prisoners. I think I had max prisoners or something. Interrogated them all and extracted it. The extract has like 10k attack and def and less for others. That's fucking permanent?!? Fuuuuck

Currently farming for shards. At first, I was doing the Asagi method but I found that too slow. So now I'm farming carnage martial training 4 (the one with 9 bears).

Laharl goes to the side and uses Rising Heaven to weaken all of them. Then I'll use my sage with Capture Skill 3 (which you get from the Capture Squad). I'll capture between 6-9 bears each time. Laharl may kill 3 of them which is why I'll have at least 6 each run.

I'm doing this with a 3* in terms of enemy strength.

I'll interrogate 128 level 9999 bears and after I extract them, I end up with a Magic Extract with around 250k in each stat.

Combine all of them and I currently have 1 mil + in each stat, ready to be used. Waiting till I hit the max before I share them with my 5 characters.

Abylim

I'm a little confused about class mastery. I read on gamefaqs that each star in my subclass adds some stats, not just full mastery, is this true?

Fireblend

Banned
I feel like I need some help. I'm at the boss battle in the Toto Bunny's Castle chapter and having tons of trouble. Most of my characters are level 75+, well above the enemies' levels, and I'm still having a ton of trouble doing damage to them.

Any help?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Anyone having crashing issues? I've had like 4 crashed and it was always at the most inopportune times deep in the item world. Fucking infuriating tbh.

Digital version btw.

Top Bottom