• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

hobart

I haven't played since D3.

This is like riding a bike... or finding an old friend. Really lovely how they've improved some of their systems. Anytime I say to myself - I wish I could do "x" - I find a way in the settings to adjust that.

Really, mostly, quality of life stuff. Setting up a group of my most used characters... having my abilities easy to select. My one peeve right now is that I cannot zoom out... and the farthest camera isn't really ideal to looks at, IMO.

I heard Puppy Paw is gone........... I'm fine with that.

I'm not sure what the real answer is because again I'm pretty new to the game, but attacking in a tower formation fills the gauge a ton. Stack up 10 people, kill everything that way, make sure the person on the bottom isn't killing with counterattacks. You can fill it easy on some levels with a lot of enemies.

I did it on like 1-4 just by using tower attacks.

Thanks for the advice! I tried this with my entire 10 person team on the very first stage and I not only got a higher bonus gauge (level 6), but the enemies dropped chests and all of my characters in the tower even learned tower-related moves.

Thanks for the advice! I tried this with my entire 10 person team on the very first stage and I not only got a higher bonus gauge (level 6), but the enemies dropped chests and all of my characters in the tower even learned tower-related moves.

Yes the tower is badass!

The last move they can learn is Tower Laser and that thing is effective at leveling up your whole team!

I heard Puppy Paw is gone........... I'm fine with that.
There's still item duplication though.
One of the item room Mystery Rooms is a tower that you can climb to the top of and talk to a person who has a chance to duplicate the item you are progressing through. The deeper in the item you are, the better the duplication chance is

7threst

This might be a stupid question but I bought Disgaea 5 weeks ago on the Japanese eShop. I like to buy the physical version too though, is it possible to continue with my save while deleting the digital version (to make room)?

I'm not sure what the real answer is because again I'm pretty new to the game, but attacking in a tower formation fills the gauge a ton. Stack up 10 people, kill everything that way, make sure the person on the bottom isn't killing with counterattacks. You can fill it easy on some levels with a lot of enemies.

I did it on like 1-4 just by using tower attacks.

Jezus, I didn't know this! I will try this immediately! Somehow I always thought the early levels you're not supposed to fill 'em up all the way :)

Insaniac

Am I missing something? I am still doing the beginning levels but I feel like my characters are randomly ending up damaged, even though they aren't being hit.

edit: Oh, I think it might be because when my guys level up they don't get healed up to their new max health.

Yes the tower is badass!

The last move they can learn is Tower Laser and that thing is effective at leveling up your whole team!

I just learned Tower Laser actually. The only issue is that I only have one character right now who has more than 75 SP lol.

It's great that I'm not even at Level 5 with any characters and I already feel like I'm breaking or cheating the game. That's Disgaea for you.

I just learned Tower Laser actually. The only issue is that I only have one character right now who has more than 75 SP lol.

It's great that I'm not even at Level 5 with any characters and I already feel like I'm breaking or cheating the game. That's Disgaea for you.

Try a female witch! 50% cheaper casting.

rdaneel72

Thanks for the replies.

You almost certainly won't get up to Rank 10 on the Bonus meter in the early game, and that's okay. It always has those 10 ranks, even when it isn't realistic.

Yeah, but they tell me to keep trying if I want that unique item at the top of the gauge. But won't my team be even stronger then?

I will try this.

Neoweee

Yeah, but they tell me to keep trying if I want that unique item at the top of the gauge. But won't my team be even stronger then?

The rewards are random. They aren't unique per stage, and you're going to get way better stuff very rapidly as you progress further into the game and start doing the side content.

Manac0r

Has something happened to EU release on eshop? Clearly states 25th and yet it is still not available...?? Anyone know anything about this?

hobart

There's still item duplication though.
One of the item room Mystery Rooms is a tower that you can climb to the top of and talk to a person who has a chance to duplicate the item you are progressing through. The deeper in the item you are, the better the duplication chance is

Do we need to spoiler that?

Is the room guaranteed in each item? Is there a way to guarantee the room.

I'm ahead of myself. Not even close to being ready to do this. Haha.

Not guaranteed, but the chance of it occurring becomes greater the deeper into an item you dive. In a sense, you're pretty much certain to make multiple copies of a piece of gear if you're dead-set on perfecting it.

Yeah. I'm only gonna run with 4 or 5 characters. It'll be too much work to have more than that if I want to build them up to some insane level. In Disgaea 1, I had two characters... Laharl and a ninja that was basically untouchable. He could run levels by himself and between him and Laharl, I could go deep into the item world with relative ease. Heh, was awesome. I don't think ninjas are as hax as they were in that game, so more backup would be good. Otherwise, it gets to be too much of a pain to handle 15 or more characters. That's how I started out in the original game, but later decided to limit my crew to 8, to 6, to 3, to 2. Of course, those characters were broken as hell by the end of the game. Heh, heh.

I've got about 6-7 and may trim one or two of those as I'm sure I will end up with new characters that I want to add to my team also.

Ok I have 10 characters and I'm seeing it's best to not have that many...... How do I store characters that I'm not using at the moment?

Some of these downloadable characters are just overpowered and some of my others do barely any damage. Not sure how to balance this, it feels pretty messy right now.

Edit: from what I can tell I can only dismiss characters which looks like it's just destroying them? What do I do with these dlc characters I have it I feel they're overpowered and I don't want to use them right now? Can I hold more than 10? Do all these characters go with me to every level even if I plan on not utilizing them?

Loving the game so far. Some questions however...
1) is it possible to change the direction a character is facing with out moving them?
2) Is there a way to prevent your own characters from doing counter attacks?

OmegaDL50

Does "making enemies harder" in the Cheat Menu just make them harder, or does it increase their level?

It increases their level.

In fact one of the early leveling tricks is adjusting Enemy Strength in the cheat shop for certain stages to make the enemies be exactly level 99.

There is some interesting math involved with level 99 enemies. If you want more information, the tutorial I written up in the OP will elaborate on this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Another good early leveling trick that have be used immediately upon unlocking the Cheat Shop is setting enemy strength to the max (20 stars) and going to Spirit Interment - Companion Zone. This will make all of the enemies level 64.

What you do is throw the yellow geo symbol into the blue area and destroy it. It will turn all of the blue panels into yellow, and then yellow into green, leading to null and a panel termination bonus.

This not only gives you maxed out Bonus Gauge, but severely weakens all of the level 64 enemies, weak enough to stack an entirely 10 character team into a tower and kill them all one by one with Tower Laser getting mass experience.

Also money gained is based on enemy levels, as well, so doing this will not only give you a good experience boost, but also about 60,000+ HL every clear.

OmegaDL50

Loving the game so far. Some questions however...
1) is it possible to change the direction a character is facing with out moving them?
2) Is there a way to prevent your own characters from doing counter attacks?

1) On the PS4 version you highlight the character and hold Square and use the D-Pad to position them, I assume the same equivalent button does this for the Switch version.

2) No you cannot prevent counter attacks if a character has a high counter stat. Generally melee attackers like Warriors and Martial Artist types have a higher inclination to use counters so if you are using a tower and absolutely do not want a character to counter, stick a mage type at the bottom to prevent this from happening,.

OmegaDL50

The rewards are random. They aren't unique per stage, and you're going to get way better stuff very rapidly as you progress further into the game and start doing the side content.

The 10th One Time reward at the top of the Bonus Gauge will always be there, at least until you actually get it. After that it's entirely random from that point on.

1) On the PS4 version you highlight the character and hold Square and use the D-Pad to position them, I assume the same equivalent button does this for the Switch version.

2) No you cannot prevent counter attacks if a character has a high counter stat. Generally melee attackers like Warriors and Martial Artist types have a higher inclination to use counters so if you are using a tower and absolutely do not want a character to counter, stick a mage type at the bottom to prevent this from happening,.

Ah, ok thanks.

MikeBison

Gone back and forth on this so many times. Pulled the trigger. Can't wait to fall into statistical insanity with the rest of you.

I spoilered it in case there are people who want to find it themselves. Probably not necessary.

No, nothing is guaranteed beyond the story missions in Disgaea games.

Was on the fence. Played and enjoyed 1 and 3 but was wondering if I really needed more.

Tried the demo. Fuck. Need more.

Stupid AU release date!

B.K.

I hated 2 and 3, never played 4, and loved 1. I've put over 200 hours in every port (except PC) of 1. Which game is 5 closer to?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dont like the fact that switch players get 1M cash and good weapons straight from the get go

OmegaDL50

I hated 2 and 3, never played 4, and loved 1. I've put over 200 hours in every port (except PC) of 1. Which game is 5 closer to?

All 5 main Disgaea games have nothing shared really in terms of story or main characters.

The only true thing that can be said is mechanically the newest game simply builds upon the previous game and refines it even more.

Just as Disgaea 2 expanded upon Disgaea 1's mechanics, the same applies from 2 to 3, 3 to 4, and so on.

Disgaea 5 is so far removed in terms of improvements over Disgaea 1 it's not even comparable.

Although the storyline is somewhat more serious in this game compared to D3 and D4, as it deals with a Netherverse wide war against a single Tyrannical Overlord commanding a massive army trying to conquer every Netherworld.

Basically a small group of Overlords from various Netherworlds decide to team up and take revenge against the Tyrant.

Each character has their own motivations, but like in Disgaea fashion it still comes off silly which has not changed since even the first game.

If you skipped D4, I'll assume you skipped DD2 as well. So D5 will feel like a massive improvement over 3 mechanically and visually. It cannot be stated enough that D5 is the most improved of the series mechanically to date.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm curious: If leveling up and grinding to level 9999 etc will be made semi-trivial eventually by late-game grinding options, why should I bother/care about doing those early leveling tricks? Is that only if I want to break the game from the get go?

oSoLucky

I'm curious: If leveling up and grinding to level 9999 etc will be made semi-trivial eventually by late-game grinding options, why should I bother/care about doing those early leveling tricks? Is that only if I want to break the game from the get go?

Out leveling content or having your items out level it is pretty much the way to break the game. Leveling items early will end up being a waste because you'll be using a completely different set late game that start with MUCH better stats and be far easier to level. Power leveling is also good if you get a new character that you want to use and have to get it up to speed. You can power level then raise the difficulty a ton to keep getting even more xp and end the story at a much higher level than you would have before. The early post game will be somewhat easier if you go higher during the story.

Pygrus

I took the 1mil HL, how much of an advantage does this give me? I'm thinking about restarting because I don't want a huge advantage.

Ok I have 10 characters and I'm seeing it's best to not have that many...... How do I store characters that I'm not using at the moment?

Some of these downloadable characters are just overpowered and some of my others do barely any damage. Not sure how to balance this, it feels pretty messy right now.

Edit: from what I can tell I can only dismiss characters which looks like it's just destroying them? What do I do with these dlc characters I have it I feel they're overpowered and I don't want to use them right now? Can I hold more than 10? Do all these characters go with me to every level even if I plan on not utilizing them?

You can have 128 characters. There's no real "storing" or "benching" them early on, they're just there and when you go to a stage you choose not to pull them out.

Because the basic story winds up with enemies around level 100 I think, with no modifiers. If you don't do any sort of leveling tricks then you'll often end up underleveled, at a disadvantage in combat, and need to grind to be able to take on the next story mission.

I took the 1mil HL, how much of an advantage does this give me? I'm thinking about restarting because I don't want a huge advantage.

Basically no advantage. The shop doesn't sell awesome gear from the start, more unlocks as you progress through the story. You'll be able to pay for heals between every battle, which normally you'll be able to do anyway even without it. All it does is let you not have to be choosy on your early game outfitting, not have to wait ~5 battles to be able to buy everything you would want. But all that gear gets replaced so fast anyway.

OmegaDL50

You can't store units no. However you can place your favorite units into a specific dispatch groups. Up to four can be made I believe.

This lets you filter the units down to the ones you use the most so you don't have a dozen plus names filling the list you need to go through.

zulux21

not much.

1 mil sounds like a lot, but in disgaea that is like pennies once you get to the meat of the game.

mrk8885

Banned
Are there any differences between this NA version just released vs. playing the Japanese version in English from launch?

I've noticed the name and title screen are different "alliance of vengeance" vs " complete. " any actual game differences?

My extreme new player question: The Dimension prinny says there are no new places to go to and to talk to everyone in the base. I feel I've talked to everyone and I'm not quite sure what to do next or what the game expects me to do.

At this point am I supposed to just grind the few levels that are open to me?

abd

My extreme new player question: The Dimension prinny says there are no new places to go to and to talk to everyone in the base. I feel I've talked to everyone and I'm not quite sure what to do next or what the game expects me to do.

There is a certain NPC you need to talk to.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

There's an NPC with no icon over their head. If it helps they're around the main square area

Luigi87

As others have said, not much.
The best thing about it is you can create Genius units right off the bat.

Top Bottom