• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm torn between just wanting to nab Laharl and all the others right away and waiting until I've got the entire main cast and figured out my favorites first...

There is a certain NPC you need to talk to.

There's an NPC with no icon over their head. If it helps they're around the main square area

Thank you both 🙂

I'm playing very sleepily and I've talked to everyone around the square.... For some reason I'm just not talking the right npc :/

Edit: ok, found him but he was a little ways off the square up towards the right, upstairs. At least I can sleepily move forward... :)

JDdelphin

I really dig this type of game.

I've loved turn-based strategy since Vandal Hearts on the PS1- never played a Disgaea tho...
-but high praise so I downloaded the demo.

Only- is Seraphina always there?
Like a mandatory main character/has to be involved/etc type of thing?

I cannot stand anything about that character almost to the point of it being a dealbreaker :/

Pretty annoyed with Amazon UK. Was looking forward to getting this today and they email me this morning saying they can't get stock from their supplier. Bit more warning would be nice.

Terrorblot

I picked this up last night! Can't wait to dig in to it. I was a big fan of Disgaea 1-3 / Phantom Brave / La Pucelle. I think 2 is still my favorite even though 3 continued to improve the gameplay by a wide margin. I petered out on Disgaea 4 before making it to the post-game but now that I'm thirsty for Switch games this seems perfect! If NIS continues to bring their games over to Switch I'd be more than happy to reinvest in their franchises.

Murkas

Is there much of a difference in stats between the 3 R40 weapons? I've just been stealing the one from the IG2.

MikeBison

Pretty annoyed with Amazon UK. Was looking forward to getting this today and they email me this morning saying they can't get stock from their supplier. Bit more warning would be nice.

Oh, really? I reinstated my preorder last night and said it would arrive today.

Checked today and it says tomorrow but assumed that was because I ordered late on.

Know if GAME has it in stock? Much prefer physical.

OmegaDL50

Is there much of a difference in stats between the 3 R40 weapons? I've just been stealing the one from the IG2.

Netherworld Research R40 weapon has a unique revenge booster innocent which can't be obtained in IW.

The r40 you get from IG2 has the strongest base stat for its class of weapon but will have 0 in all other stats.

The mystery room weapon has the weakest main stat of the 3, but has points in all other stats as well.

Also all 3 weapons have unique looks, so it really narrows down to in the end which one do you like the look of the most.

Also are you trying to get a regular R40 weapon?

There is an extra set of ranks beyond the initial 40 called Carnage Rank items.

To put it into perspective.

A Carnage R1 can be considered R41, a Carnage R2, is R42, and so on. There is basically 80 Item Ranks in the game. 40 regular and 40 for Carnage.

If you are going out of your way hunting for R40 items, a basic sword you get in from the Bonus Gauge for completing one of the Carnage maps will be far superior to any standard R40 in in the game.

Sounds like I'm not the only one! I'm currently abusing live chat who are trying to fob me off on where stock is

I ordered at £39
Amazon now sell it for £48
I'm cynical I think they expect everyone to cancel and then reorder at the higher price

Murkas

Netherworld Research R40 weapon has a unique revenge booster innocent which can't be obtained in IW.

The r40 you get from IG2 has the strongest base stat for its class of weapon but will have 0 in all other stats.

The mystery room weapon has the weakest main stat of the 3, but has points in all other stats as well.

Also all 3 weapons have unique looks, so it really narrows down to in the end which one do you like the look of the most.

Also are you trying to get a regular R40 weapon?

There is an extra set of ranks beyond the initial 40 called Carnage Rank items.

To put it into perspective.

A Carnage R1 can be considered R41, a Carnage R2, is R42, and so on. There is basically 80 Item Ranks in the game. 40 regular and 40 for Carnage.

If you are going out of your way hunting for R40 items, a basic sword you get in from the Bonus Gauge for completing one of the Carnage maps will be far superior to any standard R40 in in the game.

Ah I see, will probably just stick with IG R40 weapons.

And yeah I was referring to the carnage R40 weapons, so R80 I guess it would be. Sorry force of habit of always thinking of R40=best lol.

Zafir

Sounds like I'm not the only one! I'm currently abusing live chat who are trying to fob me off on where stock is

I ordered at £39
Amazon now sell it for £48
I'm cynical I think they expect everyone to cancel and then reorder at the higher price
If you look on Amazon UK, they're actually sold out. There's some third party sellers selling it for £48 too but that's it.

They probably got a limited amount of copies. They don't send copies out in order, so if that happens it's pot luck who gets a copy and who doesn't. Which is really shit.

MikeBison

If you look on Amazon UK, they're actually sold out. There's some third party sellers selling it for £48 too but that's it.

They probably got a limited amount of copies. They don't send copies out in order, so if that happens it's pot luck who gets a copy and who doesn't. Which is really shit.

So my Amazon order says delivering Saturday. Popped into GAME and they tried to tell me it had been delayed, then he realised they just hadn't been sent any copies.

AniHawk

they sold out on amazon us too, and right at launch. the game seems to be doing really well there. even though you can't buy it, it's still 49 in video games in the us.

Zafir

So my Amazon order says delivering Saturday. Popped into GAME and they tried to tell me it had been delayed, then he realised they just hadn't been sent any copies.

Funnily enough I can't even find it on Game.co.uk?

I guess NIS really didn't print many copies at all, or well they underestimated demand.

AniHawk

Funnily enough I can't even find it on Game.co.uk?

I guess NIS really didn't print many copies at all, or well they underestimated demand.

we know that the order was slightly higher than the ps4 version, so it seems like more of a demand thing.

If you look at more sellers Amazon has gone up to £48.48, but it was available when I preordered and all this week
Either way Amazon have no idea when they will get stock and tried telling me they sent orders out in order of when they were placed, which I've known to be crap before and they just send them as they are picked in the warehouse

I supposedly it means they did well then

Zafir

we know that the order was slightly higher than the ps4 version, so it seems like more of a demand thing.

Yeah I remember hearing they were happy with the pre-order numbers.

If you look at more sellers Amazon has gone up to £48.48, but it was available when I preordered and all this week
Either way Amazon have no idea when they will get stock and tried telling me they sent orders out in order of when they were placed, which I've known to be crap before and they just send them as they are picked in the warehouse

I supposedly it means they did well then

Oh I know it's gone up to £48 on Amazon too. But they're obviously not doing it to get you to re-order. It's sold out so you wouldn't get it much faster if you did. Which was my point.

It's more supply/demand increasing prices.

Felensis

Banned
Just got mine from a local Saturn, one of the largest in Munich. Only had a few copies in stock. Maybe 5 or 6. Demo convinced me to get my very first Disgaea. Demo is the whole first episode of the game and took me more than 3 hours to finish. I love the humor and lighthearted-ness, but at the same time it provides so much and deep content gameplay-wise.

Enjoying the game so far as being my first entry on the series. My only complain is that at times is too much information to absorb for a newcomer at the beginning of the game so you may miss some details. In my case I don't have any idea how to increase the mastery level on the classes to unlock new classes with the recruiter. I have been leveling up all classes but nothing happens with their mastery and also I can't seem to find where to check it on the status screen. Anybody help please?

I've loved turn-based strategy since Vandal Hearts on the PS1- never played a Disgaea tho...

I cannot stand anything about that character almost to the point of it being a dealbreaker :/

She's always in the story, but you never have to use any of the characters in battle.

OmegaDL50

Bamboo 竹;238150233 said:
Enjoying the game so far as being my first entry on the series. My only complain is that at times is too much information to absorb for a newcomer at the beginning of the game so you may miss some details. In my case I don't have any idea how to increase the mastery level on the classes to unlock new classes with the recruiter. I have been leveling up all classes but nothing happens with their mastery and also I can't seem to find where to check it on the status screen. Anybody help please?

Entirely new classes are unlocked by doing various quests from the Quest NPC. You need to fulfill the prerequisite requires from the quests to unlock them.

Class Mastery can be checked under the Class tab in a characters status screen

base_system_content07_pop.jpg

Class Mastery increases by one of your characters doing actions with said class. For example if you need Rank 2 Warrior then you need a character sub-classed as a Warrior or an actual Warrior generic in his default class to defeat enemies or objects in battle and continue to do so until they reach rank 2.

Each Rank is denoted by a Star. Fully filling a Star and turning it gold masters that tier and you move on to the next. Up to a max of 6.

For example to unlock Archer you need to reach rank 2 of a Fighter and Rank 2 of a Healer. So that means one gold star in the Warrior / Valkyrie and one gold star in Cleric / Clergy.

These ranks are retroactive and will also automatically apply to other class unlocks as if they also are part of the requirement to unlock them.

For example the having a Mage class (Magician / Witch) at Rank 2 and your existing Rank 2 Fighter from unlocking Archer will also fulfill the conditions for unlocking a Gunner.

If you have any other questions let me know.

tengiants

Entirely new classes are unlocked by doing various quests from the Quest NPC. You need to fulfill the prerequisite requires from the quests to unlock them.

Class Mastery can be checked under the Class tab in a characters status screen

base_system_content07_pop.jpg

Class Mastery increases by one of your characters doing actions with said class. For example if you need Rank 2 Warrior then you need a character sub-classed as a Warrior or an actual Warrior generic in his default class to defeat enemies or objects in battle and continue to do so until they reach rank 2.

Each Rank is denoted by a Star. Fully filling a Star and turning it gold masters that tier and you move on to the next. Up to a max of 6.

For example to unlock Archer you need to reach rank 2 of a Fighter and Rank 2 of a Healer. So that means one gold star in the Warrior / Valkyrie and one gold star in Cleric / Clergy.

These ranks are retroactive and will also automatically apply to other class unlocks as if they also are part of the requirement to unlock them.

For example the having a Mage class (Magician / Witch) at Rank 2 and your existing Rank 2 Fighter from unlocking Archer will also fulfill the conditions for unlocking a Gunner.

If you have any other questions let me know.

I'm not the one who requested help, but just running into the same problem so this is helpful for me. thanks.

Neoweee

Seraphina is there, but the cast grows quickly so her role diminishes a bit. I was in the same boat as you, hating her in the demo.

Red Magnus compensates enough. I can't decide whether his voice acting is awful or beautiful.

Fireblend

Banned
Just got notified that my copy will arrive on Tuesday :( I really wanted to play this weekend.

More time to finish P5 I guess.

Memnoch

You don't need to master every mechanic to succeed in the game. Some of the systems in place exist to solely allow you to break the game. Like being able to level thousands of levels at once. Most of the major stuff doesn't even matter in the main story campaign and only in the post game.

The story campaign for a Disgaea game is typical length for a regular RPG, roughly 35 to 50 hours. However if you decide to stick around for the post game battles and super bosses. It can easily go beyond 150+ hours. Play however you want, just don't think the game is forces you to learn too much at once.

You can also refer to post #2 which has some useful info. If you need help or have any questions, let me know.
That's good because after reading the OT I felt maybe this game will be too much for me. I want to play a decent rpg and enjoy it without knowing all of that stat related info.

Waji

The Hospital gives the player rewards depending on how much HP, SP, and Revives were done based on a certain milestone. There is an easy means to quickly get access some of better bonuses early on by using HP or SP increasing accessories. Using a low HP class such as Mage, equip them with your best possible Muscle accessory. This will increase the Mage's max HP but not her current. Healing the Mage at the Hospital will give you the credit towards an HP recovery milestone. Unequipping the Muscle accessory the Mage will go back her original HP value, re-equip the Muscle and again her max HP increases, which you again heal at the Hospital. Repeat this unlocking more HP recovery milestones and unlocking additional prizes for HP recovered. This also works for Orbs for the SP recovery milestones too.
On the contrary isn't it better with a High HP class, especially with high % for the muscles to give even more HP.
I'd use 120%+ characters for that. Same for SP.

OmegaDL50

On the contrary isn't it better with a High HP class, especially with high % for the muscles to give even more HP.
I'd use 120%+ characters for that. Same for SP.

Probably but in the beginning of the game, when you only have the most basic recruits available and at their base aptitudes. Simply throwing Muscle items on a character and healing the HP difference in the Hospital quickly serves it's purpose just to get a few quick and easy Hospital rewards for an early boost.

piggychan

got the EU/UK collectors box in the mail yesterday. Outer box is really flimsy and it almost feels like holding all that content within it will collapse when not held correctly..

E8C355F5-17D7-4A04-BE7A-C8FDFCC82EB1.jpg

EDarkness

I'm torn between just wanting to nab Laharl and all the others right away and waiting until I've got the entire main cast and figured out my favorites first...

I went ahead and grabbed the characters I wanted so that they wouldn't be behind the curve later. If they're available, why not grab them now? Heh, heh.

OmegaDL50

I went ahead and grabbed the characters I wanted so that they wouldn't be behind the curve later. If they're available, why not grab them now? Heh, heh.

The DLC bonus characters actually scale their levels based on your current point in the story mode.

Starting at level 3 in the very beginning at chapter one and scaling as high as 800+ into the post-game.

MikeBison

I got the email from Amazon saying they don't know when they'll have my order.
Guess i'll download the demo in the meantime. Does progress carry over? Is the demo just a feature complete slice of the game?

I want to get this, but I also know I'd probably get sidetracked with activities like halfway through and never complete it. Disgaea games do feel enormous and labyrinthine...

Oregano

got the EU/UK collectors box in the mail yesterday. Outer box is really flimsy and it almost feels like holding all that content within it will collapse when not held correctly..

Just picked mine up from the Royal Mail Despatch Office. I was surprised by the little cardboard rectangles they had to include.

Happy to support NIS though.

Zafir

I dunno I think the contents are fine, I just worry that the box could be damaged by anything. Fortunately they packaged mine well.

lt519

So how are people liking this that have never played a Disgaea game but are fans of Fire Emblem and/or Final Fantasy Tactics? I think I'd like a new game to play today and this may scratch a good itch.

Kovacs

Possibly a dumb question.

When do stop being asked if I want to skip the demo? I've just finished the fourth level of the second Netherworld and it's still appearing. I thought it would stop once I played past the ending point of the eShop demo but I'm well past that now.

Its not a problem, but I'm just worried I'll miss something.

Does the combat get any more difficult?

I'm like 3 hours in and every battle has been super duper easy, like mobile gacha crap rpg level easy even though I feel lost as hell in general.

Also is there any logic to the team up attacks? Sometimes I think I'm setup to do one...then it doesn't happen. Do certain characters only team up with specific others?

Murkas

I'm like 3 hours in and every battle has been super duper easy, like mobile gacha crap rpg level easy even though I feel lost as hell in general.

Also is there any logic to the team up attacks? Sometimes I think I'm setup to do one...then it doesn't happen. Do certain characters only team up with specific others?

Yeah battles get tougher, especially when geo panels start coming in. Also if you feel it's too easy, when you unlock the cheat shop just crank the enemy level up.

To start of a team attach you need party members either behind the character and/or on either side, when you select attack there is a percentage screen that appears below where you select the monster. So:

...E
T M T
...T

E=enemy
M=main attacker
T=teammate

Put characters in the same squad to increase the percentage, there's also an evility that makes it guaranteed 100%.

Ditch the main characters and go generics-only then

Yeah battles get tougher, especially when geo panels start coming in. Also if you feel it's too easy, when you unlock the cheat shop just crank the enemy level up.

To start of a team attach you need party members either behind the character and/or on either side, when you select attack there is a percentage screen that appears below where you select the monster. So:

...E
T M T
...T

E=enemy
M=main attacker
T=teammate

Put characters in the same squad to increase the percentage, there's also an evility that makes it guaranteed 100%.

Thanks for explaining that, I was using the exact same characters/locations and only getting it sometimes, confused the hell out of me.

oSoLucky

Possibly a dumb question.

When do stop being asked if I want to skip the demo? I've just finished the fourth level of the second Netherworld and it's still appearing. I thought it would stop once I played past the ending point of the eShop demo but I'm well past that now.

Its not a problem, but I'm just worried I'll miss something.

Skip demo means just to skip the upcoming cutscene.

Samemind

PSA

Hey, I had a crash after a few hours of straight diving through an item world and lost everything since I entered the Item World. So you should probably back out and save progress every 10 floors.

Oh man, I don't remember if this was added in 4 or not, but being able to take out all of the Innocents in an item and store them for later (regardless of whether they're subdued) is a game-changer. I had been holding on to terrible items just for their Innocents inside them just like in the old games. But now I can just rip out the Innocent in a crappy weapon or a usable item, and then just sell the item. My item list is finally manageable!

Plus you can move the Innocents into other items freely, even without subduing them in the Item World first. They don't always give huge boosts unsubdued, but it's a huge quality-of-life improvement. Now I can hold on to the best weapons or rare/legendary items and just drop Innocents into them to boost them and the character.

Top Bottom