• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DIsgaea 5 Complete (Switch) Review Thread

Fireblend

Banned
Some questions for the Disgaea players here: I played the demo last night and feel pretty overwhelmed. What's the "flow" of the game? Like, what am I supposed to do between battles?

- Do I want to make recruiting characters a priority? I guess having 12 is a priority for the early game, but eventually managing a roster of 30+ units seems pretty overwhelming. I guess I could just keep a low number but there's a high number of classes so maybe that's necessary? Can I get by having just one of each class or will there be times I'll want to bring along many of 1 type of units to a single battle?

- Do I want to care deeply about stat distribution or what to level up about a character between their skills, weapons and other stuff or is it enough to just play naturally and characters will develop decently without unit micromanagement?

- Do I want to visit the equipment shop after every battle and improve equipment as it becomes available?

- Quests are infinite, right? I cleared like 3 in the demo and there were already like 8 others to accept, I believe some were repeated? Should I just grab the ones that interest me, or obsess over clearing the quest log? Is there a thing as "clearing the quest log"?

- I don't remember how it's called, but am I supposed to be able to fill the gauge that gives me items after a battle beyond 3 as a starting player, or are those meant to be obtained much later in a playthrough? I got to the second item once, but that's it. Dunno if I'm playing wrong and not taking advantage of teams/combos correctly.

TheExodu5

Banned
Some questions for the Disgaea players here: I played the demo last night and feel pretty overwhelmed. What's the "flow" of the game? Like, what am I supposed to do between battles?

- Do I want to make recruiting characters a priority? I guess having 12 is a priority for the early game, but eventually managing a roster of 30+ units seems pretty overwhelming. I guess I could just keep a low number but there's a high number of classes so maybe that's necessary? Can I get by having just one of each class or will there be times I'll want to bring along many of 1 type of units to a single battle?

- Do I want to care deeply about stat distribution or what to level up about a character between their skills, weapons and other stuff or is it enough to just play naturally and characters will develop decently without unit micromanagement?

- Do I want to visit the equipment shop after every battle and improve equipment as it becomes available?

- Quests are infinite, right? I cleared like 3 in the demo and there were already like 8 others to accept, I believe some were repeated? Should I just grab the ones that interest me, or obsess over clearing the quest log? Is there a thing as "clearing the quest log"?

- I don't remember how it's called, but am I supposed to be able to fill the gauge that gives me items after a battle beyond 3 as a starting player, or are those meant to be obtained much later in a playthrough? I got to the second item once, but that's it. Dunno if I'm playing wrong and not taking advantage of teams/combos correctly.

Don't worry too much about min/maxing in Disgaea. Generally, anything you do will give you a benefit...you don't really get penalized for anything.

I generally use whatever class looks cool and complements my roster. I don't see the need to use duplicates since there are so many classes.

Just play, level up what you can. There's no limit to the experience your characters get so you can't make any wrong choices. I don't know if there's any equivalent in D5, but in D2 you could level up a character to 9999 in a single battle...there are often many ways to break the game.

I generally buy equip upgrades when they are significant. Disgaea is a game about massive numbers so dont feel any need to buy a piece of gear if it doesn't massively outclass your old gear. I rather get one massive upgrade for a character than a bunch of tiny incremental upgrades for all characters.

Don't worry about filling up the gauge. It's generally done on maps with huge geopanel chains.

tl;dr: you can't really screw up in Disgaea. Things will start to make sense as you try out the different systems.

Noctilum

I miss RPG's, I just don't have a lot of time to play them so my games are limited to pickup and play style. Would Disgaea 5 have any elements that would make it like that or do you need to get some good blocks of time in to make it really worthwhile? I am talking maybe an hour a day at most of play time.

EDarkness

I miss RPG's, I just don't have a lot of time to play them so my games are limited to pickup and play style. Would Disgaea 5 have any elements that would make it like that or do you need to get some good blocks of time in to make it really worthwhile? I am talking maybe an hour a day at most of play time.

Play through the demo and see how it fits your lifestyle. The demo is pretty meaty, so it should give you a good indication of how fights and the like will work for you.

God that CoolGhosts video wasn't joking about the game's Random Name Generator. It's kinda the best.

kajPHlx.png

Protome

Just checked and I didn't see any option to turn them off.

From the few times I've gotten them, they don't seem bad at all. It's exactly how it works on PS4. I'll try to take a screenshot whenever I earn another one.

Thanks for checking. That's a bummer. Not make or break, but I don't like trophies at all.

It's not really "Exactly how it works on PS4" given you can turn them off on PS4.

Thanks for checking. That's a bummer. Not make or break, but I don't like trophies at all.

It's not really "Exactly how it works on PS4" given you can turn them off on PS4.

Sorry, when I said that, I was talking about how the trophy notification pops out the same way as PS4.

I completely forgot about the Cheat Shop. It definitely helps with grinding.

Lol, the random names are definitely random as hell. I have a character named "Hips do not lie" LOL. I've always had a tough time thinking of names and this makes it easier cause I'll take the first weird ass name the game chooses for me.

If you're worried, you can rename characters using the Assembly.

Fireblend

Banned
I have another question. How do the team-up attacks work?

Sometimes I place a character next to 2 other characters, and it looks like sometimes only 2 of them team up, sometimes all 3... is there some rule I'm missing?

Also sometimes some of my characters do 0 damage, but then Killia comes in and does like 90 in a single attack. What am I doing wrong? Are some classes completely immune to others?

Voror

Wow i never knew exactly how much these games are NOT for me.

I prefer my tactics games in their simplest forms. My favorite Tactics game of all time (and the only one i ever finished) is Zone of the Enders: Fists of Mars for the Game Boy Advance:

https://youtu.be/OXVVIZHfP9Q

Oh wow, I just recently fired up this game on my old SP the other day out of nostalgia. Love that game. I'd love if they started putting GBA VC on Switch and this game came along.

This is my first Disgaea so I'm a bit intimidated but I actually kind of love making characters as strong as possible though I must confess the amount of systems is a bit intimidating.

I've never done one as complicated as this myself, but am willing to dive in and give it a try based on the demo.

God that CoolGhosts video wasn't joking about the game's Random Name Generator. It's kinda the best.

Almost all of my characters get random names. And not just random names, I mash L3 until I get a funny one.

I have another question. How do the team-up attacks work?

Sometimes I place a character next to 2 other characters, and it looks like sometimes only 2 of them team up, sometimes all 3... is there some rule I'm missing?

Also sometimes some of my characters do 0 damage, but then Killia comes in and does like 90 in a single attack. What am I doing wrong? Are some classes completely immune to others?

Team up attack %s are listed in the info window, and depend largely on evilities equipped to the characters that can join in.
Damage calculations are based largely on attack vs defense for physical attacks, and int vs resistance for magical attacks, modified by innate resistances and special defensive traits granted by evilities. If you check the character screen for any unit in the game, you'll see their magic and physical resistances listed in their general stats. It also pays to check their evilities, certain ones can drastically reduce damage taken based on the properties of the damage dealt, what direction the attacker is attacking from, etc. It pays to become familiar with certain enemy types who are generally resistant to some types of damage but not others e.g. Sludges don't take much physical damage but take lots of extra magical damage. Pick the right damage type for the target for success early on, and make sure your characters aren't punching way, way above their weight if you're seeing zero damage.

Kazerei

Banned

You should keep a low number of characters, since EXP is not distributed to the whole party, it's only given to the character(s) who deliver the killing blow. With 12 characters, EXP will be spread thin and you'll have to grind to keep the stragglers up to level. A bit later in the game, you will be able to change classes, so it's not like you need a new character for every class. I'd recommend you focus on using the main story characters (they're overall better than generic characters) and make a few generics to use as bait, meat shields, and throwers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the details. You'll be fine with keeping the story characters at their default class and sticking to one weapon type. There are a ton of features in Disgaea, but you don't have to use them to beat the story. The first time I played through Disgaea 1, I never even re-classed my characters and only entered the Item World once. I just took my time and explored those features later.

I usually check the equipment shop after every battle, but I don't necessarily buy something every time. I dunno, you just have to get a feel for it.

There are some fixed quests (green), but most are random and repeatable quests (black). So you can never clear the quest log, as it will be populated with random quests, but you can at least clear all the fixed quests. Look for quests that have good rewards, like the scrolls that can teach spells and abilities.

Yeah you won't be able to fill the gauge until much later

Sure, but it's not like its "best" games aren't available elsewhere..

But that's part of the reason why the Switch launch window has seen at least 1-2 great games released every week: Timing and good development tools.

Larger publisher titles aside, most developers didn't start working on Switch versions of games until January. It's amazing how fast the turnaround, and how good the results were, for Snake Pass for instance.

Had Switch launched in, say, late 2013, it would have been followed up with the same post-release drought as previous system launches, but Nintendo's been able to utilise how console development has hit its stride post- PS4 and One, combined with a seemingly good SDK and affordable dev kits

How much have the mechanics evolved since the first game?

The core mechanics are intact, but now there are many, many more variables powering the numbers. To compensate for the multiplied amount of bars to fill, quality of life improvements in gameplay speed, shortcuts to max level, inventory/innocent management and gear acquisition have been introduced. Also, the mechanics are introduced relatively gradually as you progress the story, as opposed to the entire post-game opening up in chapter 3 like it did in Disgaea 1.

I've played the demo for about 2 hours total and as a person that isn't very good at turn based games and is easily overwhelmed with a lot of systems, the game is surprisingly not that overwhelming and seems pretty fun.

I doubt I'll be getting it on release as I've got too many other games to catch up on, but I'll definitely keep this on my radar.

I realize the game will get a bit more strategic and complicated, but how much more so once you're past the demo portion of the game?

//ARCANUM

I laughed when I saw this on the shelf of my local walmart last night. Did not get it because I'm not intending on getting the game, but was surprised to see it out on the shelf early. I always hear about that stuff in other places, but never encounter it myself in Austin, TX.

(Walmart at Parmer and 35 if anyone in Austin wants to give it a shot.)

So after putting about 5 hours into the demo (and just finding out the save data doesn't transfer) I'm wondering if I should pick this up eventually. I have a ton of multiplayer games on Switch, but nothing to really sink my time into.

Of course after seeing a few comments I had to complicate things by downloading the demo of Disgaea 4 on Vita and I feel like the characters are *far* more enjoyable.

Is 5 a significantly improved game of 4 gameplay wise? Is it better in a way that would improve the enjoyment of a total newbie to the series?

cheesekao

So after putting about 5 hours into the demo (and just finding out the save data doesn't transfer) I'm wondering if I should pick this up eventually. I have a ton of multiplayer games on Switch, but nothing to really sink my time into.

Of course after seeing a few comments I had to complicate things by downloading the demo of Disgaea 4 on Vita and I feel like the characters are *far* more enjoyable.

Is 5 a significantly improved game of 4 gameplay wise? Is it better in a way that would improve the enjoyment of a total newbie to the series?
The gameplay improvements isn't really significant imo. For the most part, I did what I normally did in D4 in D5. Personally speaking, as someone who has played both D5 and D4 Vita, I'd go with D4 Vita if I had to choose one as it has more content and the characters and story are better.

The gameplay improvements isn't really significant imo. For the most part, I did what I normally did in D4 in D5. Personally speaking, as someone who has played both D5 and D4 Vita, I'd go with D4 Vita as it has more content and the characters and story are better.

And it's also half price. Thanks!

Wadiwasi

Banned
Wow, I am actually surprised about the Destructoid review system on this. I feel it is really accurate....

"25-49: If you are bored, rich, and are ready to buy a game that you'll probably never finish, then go for it."

Haha that is exactly what will happen. I've downloaded the demo and just waiting for some time to sink into it to see if I want to go ahead with purchase

Really liked the demo but the English voices are kinda bland. On the other hand it looks like it's more complicated than FE on the strategy side.

The Major Quality of Life improvenent that's been slowly happening since 3 is the removal of the ability to utterly balls stuff up due to the RNG / Stuff that Makes No Sense (like resetting for Fortune Tellers and Great Luck and then killing the Fortune Teller in Disgaea 2 every few floors).

Disgaea D2 removed pretty much all of it but added a looooot of grind , Disgaea 5 trimmed the grind back significantly (but put some RNG back in but nothing permanent that leads to hours of save scumming like could happen on in earlier games).

tebunker

Banned
Like this is the kind of game that would be perfect on a portable, play a map here and there and always have it around to get the fix.

But then I look and see I still have like 3 SRPGs to play, and well, not right now.

Glad to hear they already had like 110k preorders for the west, so that probably helps pay for a lot of the costs for them.

There is clearly a hunger for good games on a portable machine.

Archtreyz

Kind of off topic, but I have a few questions.
1) Does the Japenese Switch version have English VO or subtitles? And
2) How would I go about buying that version?

Fireblend

Banned
Kind of off topic, but I have a few questions.
1) Does the Japenese Switch version have English VO or subtitles? And
2) How would I go about buying that version?
Yes, I'm pretty sure the jp version is exactly the same as the English version. It has both eng VO and subs.

To buy it, create a new account on your Switch, link it to a new Japanese Nintendo account (this is easy, just create a new account and set the location to Japan), buy some Japanese eShop credit (I think you can buy it on Amazon.jp) and shop away.

moeman

I laughed when I saw this on the shelf of my local walmart last night. Did not get it because I'm not intending on getting the game, but was surprised to see it out on the shelf early. I always hear about that stuff in other places, but never encounter it myself in Austin, TX.

Damn I live really close to that Walmart but am in San Antonio for the next few weeks. Good thing I didn't see that in person or else I'd be tempted to buy it haha.

Archtreyz

Yes, I'm pretty sure the jp version is exactly the same as the English version. It has both eng VO and subs.

To buy it, create a new account on your Switch, link it to a new Japanese Nintendo account (this is easy, just create a new account and set the location to Japan), buy some Japanese eShop credit (I think you can buy it on Amazon.jp) and shop away.
Thanks! This worked easy-peasy!

Sciel

http://imgur.com/a/rUjJC

Got this today for the Switch after being bored out of my mind with Zelda.

EDIT:
Really love how this looks on the Switch in handheld mode, the sprites look very clean and crisp. My first one simce D3 and it looks like its gonna be a fun ride!

Scoops

Banned
Meta still at 87 with 16 reviews

Everyeye.it - 8.9/10

The ability to always have a game lasting hundreds and hundreds of hours with a gameplay depth and care that stands out, makes this Complete Edition an indispensable title for Switch owners with an inclination toward strategy.

Spazio Games - 8/10

There's not enough new content to recommend a second buy for the ones that have already played it on PS4, but Disgaea 5 Complete remains the best option, right now, for all the Switch owners who love their strategy games.

Trusted Reviews - 8/10

Disgaea 5 Complete is a great role-playing game for the Nintendo Switch. JRPG fans have hundreds of potential hours of content to dig into here, all of which is brilliantly presented with imaginative, zany characters that seldom disappoint. And you can make your very own curry, who wouldn't love that?

How does the strategy depth compare to other srpgs? All I'm seeing is an emphasis on the game's cosmetic presentation and gameplay functions, but are the battles legitimate brainbusters?

How does the strategy depth compare to other srpgs? All I'm seeing is an emphasis on the game's cosmetic presentation and gameplay functions, but are the battles legitimate brainbusters?

Not in the sense a Fire Emblem player would consider it. Somewhat in the sense of other RPGs were experience isn't limited.

Grinding is always available to overcome maps that involve you likely being outpowered and needing to maneuver carefully.

There's not really any mandatory solve the puzzle or lose maps in 5 either.

There are quiet a few maps that require thinking , assuming you're normally leveled though. Most maps with utterly unfair Geo effects or a suspicious layout are actually puzzles that can be made much much easier by solving the puzzle. There's also maps with enemy setups that require either cautious advancement or a well executed blitz.

And your evility setup is the real challenge on some maps which is sort of higher level than is normally the case in SRPGs.

The game is fairly mundane in terms of difficulty for a SRPG overall.

Am I going crazy or does the switch have like the highest quality of games for the first 2 months on the market ever ?

Sure, but a lot of its strength is in ports. I think the Switch is cool, but I'm remiss that a lot of people are acting like it's some huge achievement that it has a bunch of ports of great games. Breath of the Wild is an excellent launch game for instance, but it shouldn't be heralded as the best launch game because it didn't have nearly as many of the obstacles that most launch games experience. Many launch games are rushed to completion to meet a date, while BotW was actually delayed to meet a date.

Wrong, Aonuma mentioned that they needed more time and got it. It's more likely the entire Switch launch was pushed back from Holiday 2016 in order to accommodate it.

Fair enough, though my point stands that the designers weren't under the typical pressures of a launch title (though there is certainly pressure when the launch is being changed to accommodate your game, it's not the same as, say, a game releasing relatively unfinished to meet the launch).

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider

fuck i just saw this these have got to be gone right?

OmegaDL50

The gameplay improvements isn't really significant imo. For the most part, I did what I normally did in D4 in D5. Personally speaking, as someone who has played both D5 and D4 Vita, I'd go with D4 Vita if I had to choose one as it has more content and the characters and story are better.

D4 having more content is not true even factoring the Vita version in the equation against D5 Complete.

Just on the main story alone D5 has the largest / longest campaign of the entire series to date, this doesn't even factor the post game maps which can technically be another 3 to 4 chapters alone worth of content, plus the DLC recruitment maps are also mini-chapters as well.

As for lack of gameplay improvements, I find that debatable. Things like how Weapon and Armor mastery is handled are much improved, Being able to throw units diagonally, Monsters being able to throw using Mon-Toss, Classes automatically upgrading to the next tier and not needing to reincarnate. Using Sub-Weapon and being able to Sub-Class. These are all significant improvements.

This isn't even factoring the new mechanics such as the Curry Shop, Innocent Farm, and the Netherworld Investigations which are entirely new things not present in D4.

Yeah D5 certainly does not have less content than D4.

fuck i just saw this these have got to be gone right?

Walmart, Target, etc. do this occasionally. Their registers will stop the cashier from selling it to you.

Edit: more accurately, they can't sell them-- once scanned, a message will display saying the item is not for sale until the set date, and won't allow the transaction.

Top Bottom