• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea II

EGM92

Cumtastic if true, but I doubt there's a sequal coming out, no news, no screens, not even a confirmation that it's in the works.

ManaByte

EGM92 said:
Cumtastic if true, but I doubt there's a sequal coming out, no news, no screens, not even a confirmation that it's in the works.

Ok, so the publisher of the official Disgaea strategy guide in the US has word of the sequel coming out in Japan and you don't believe it?

EGM92

ManaByte said:
Ok, so the publisher of the official Disgaea strategy guide in the US has word of the sequel coming out in Japan and you don't believe it?

Thats right, until I see actual screens, I don't care whom it is that says it I won't believe it...

Mrbob

ManaByte said:

This is why I think it is true. He has no reason to lie.

Perhaps Double Jump will print more than 5 physical strategy guides this time!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Still, if the game comes out in Japan in TWO MONTHS, wouldn't we have heard about it earlier?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Tempy said:
Still, if the game comes out in Japan in TWO MONTHS, wouldn't we have heard about it earlier?

Not to mention that the guys who made it just finished that Makai game, I doubt they have time to make a whole new game in 2 months, unless of course they have multiple teams.

Vargas

Schafer said:
Not to mention that the guys who made it just finished that Makai game, I doubt they have time to make a whole new game in 2 months, unless of course they have multiple teams.

Makai Kingdom came out in Japan in March though.

Ironclad

If you read the thread that Manabyte posted, the guy who works for doublejump said he first learned about the game at E3 but since it's already been announced in Japan, he can now speak about it. He said he had dinner with the NISA president and that's when they spoke of it.

EGM92

Tempy said:

exactly, 2 months till release and no one has stated anything... AT ALL about a sequal to an awsome game besides a STRAT Publisher... and not even the developers of the game itself have said anything. Going to be a huge suprise to all those Japanese fans of the series.

bloke

Am I missing something, when was Disgaea II officially announced in Japan?
Last announced N1 game is PS2 port of Rasetsu Alternative and that's coming out in Oct. It's kinda doubtful they'd be announcing DII for Sept.

Scott

Bit more from djpubba:
There's more to Japan than the internet. There may be an embargo on the info so the print media can break the news first.

However, I too find it strange that it's not all over Japanese message boards yet if it has been announced there.

I think the only thing that may not be correct is that it's been announced in Japan already. He was very clear about the date and even told me the US date, but I'm not supposed to tell that part. I expressed my shock that the Japanese launch was so soon but he repeated and confirmed. There is absolutely no doubt that it is coming. Lynxara and Kou can back me up on that, as they were in the room with Yosh¡tsuna when he told us they were working on it.

MoxManiac

In the interview with the director of Makai Kingdom in DJB's strat guide, the director (Yoshitsuna Kobayashi) says this in response to a question asking about future titles:

"Hmmm, let's just say we have something in the works for now. Our next title's release will not be until next year, but it should geninuely suprise you."

Maybe he's refering to Disgaea II? I know Disgaea is quite popular, but it certainly would suprise me, since N1 doesn't seem to usually make direct sequels.

Vandiger

jarrod said:
Already? Man, N1 are putting even KOEI to shame.... that's what, 5 SRPGs in 3 years?

Why is this a bad thing? I wish Square-Enix would release more FFT and Tactic Orge games. They should follow thier example, imho.

ManaByte

acidviper said:
Lol a book forums source. :lol

Uh I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Double Jump Books is the official publisher of the English Disgaea strategy guide. If there is a sequel coming, they'd know as they would be doing the guide.

Well, this sounds credible based on a few tidbits from the interview with N1 in the back of the Makai Kingdom strategy guide. In it, N1 said they stopped in the middle of a production of another game and quick threw Makai Kingdom together in half the development cycle. So they were about half done on some game before they even started MK. They also said, in the interview that what they were working on next would blow everyone away and everyone would be very excited for it.

To me, it sounds pretty likely they could've stopped in the middle of a production of a hig resolution Disgaea sequel to quick whip together one more low res game (Makai Kingdom). Then gone right back and gotten this sequel on its feet and ready for sale relatively quickly.

acidviper

Banned
ManaByte said:
Uh I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but Double Jump Books is the official publisher of the English Disgaea strategy guide. If there is a sequel coming, they'd know as they would be doing the guide.

Ya I got their 9MB free Disgea PDF strategy guide which is awesome. Free strat guide.

And even though its an admin, why would this guy be the launch point for a game announcement and assuming he can leak it why wouldn't they get a higher profile media source. I'm pretty sure he has nothing to do with the Japanese Disgaea strategy guide, but I mean if this is how NIS wants to promote games through their strat guide producers, LOL to them.

Scott

This isn't the way they're promoting it.

DoubleJump was told about the game over dinner, probably signing a contract for the guide, or maybe even celebrating the release of Makai Kingdom. Who knows? Point is, the NIS America president (mistakingly) thought the game was announced in Japan already, so he only had the US release date put under NDA, and not the game's announcement itself.

So no, this isn't some official announcement, or their way of promoting the title, or anything of the sort. It's just DoubleJump being told about the game's existence, being told they can talk about it, and them doing just that on their forum. And really, why shouldn't they? If I wasn't under NDA, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut either. ;)

Senretsu

d00d!

I got all the way to the end but i couldn't beat some of the last few stages (the ones where there's a bunch of invincibility panels on the ground. I want to try it again sometime, i'd like to see how the game ends, it was great during the parts that i played.

Mashing

End? I thought Disgea never ended (awesome game but I eventually became overwhelmed)....

item world...

geezus tap dancing christ.

B.K.

http://www.doublejumpbooks.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=2685

I apologize for providing misleading information. I misunderstood what I was told. Disgaea II will not be released in Japan on 9/30/05.

What I misinterpreted was that there will be an announcement in Japan regarding a new title from NIS in late September. The details of the new title that has yet to be announced have not yet been decided -- so anything you have heard up until now is not official.

My sincere apologies. Nobody owes me Clumpy shirts.

Madame M

Banned
Himuro said:
IAWTP

Disgaea was the first game that I loved to death but was so overwhelmed I just said fuck it and decided not to touch it again out of the sheer retardation you have to go through to develop your characters in that game.

FFT is a fine example of simple but deep. Disgaea 2 needs to learn from FFT. More != better

The last thing I'd call FFT is "simple"

Anyway, simplified SRPGs are friggin' stupid. Nothing more annoying than SRPGs were height counts for shit.

Madame M

Banned
I actually found the little things from FFT to be more daunting than the little things from Disgaea

Stupid zodiac system

I'll say it again, FFT is not simple compared to Disgaea. Disgaea isn't brain surgery.

NI threads are like the old english proverb: you attract more flies with honey than with vinegar.

A new look for their greatness to be constructed on? Bestill my beating heart. :D

madara

Please be true, Please be true! Anime is great news as well I always thought that the charm and comradery of game would make an excellent show. Though I never yet seen an anime that was actually true to game, it usually instead follows the generic anime approach and ends up the total opposite of game, ala crappy Final Fantasys and Tales. Though old Ys is good...

Top Bottom