• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 Free Trial coming on April 6! (PC,PS4,X1)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Very generous, although I would argue that the first three missions are the weakest in the game. The game really picks up when you hit the
Clockwork Mansion

That area in particular is an exemplary piece of level design.

Addermire Institute is pretty good though, finding different places to enter, exploring each floor, unlocking more areas as you go along and piecing together just whats going on there.

Its a testament to how good the level design in the game is that you can start with stellar levels like Shore of Karnaca and Addermire Institute yet still getting even better and better with each level.

Dishonored 2 is the reason Im so excited for Prey. Arkane are masters of their craft.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Will this allow trophy unlocks or no? The article doesn't say.

It says your progress can transfer over which means any trophies you earned will unlock when you buy the game.

Dont expect the demo to give you trophies.

DukeBobby

Addermire Institute is pretty good though, finding different places to enter, exploring each floor, unlocking more areas as you go along and piecing together just whats going on there.

Its a testament to how good the level design in the game is that you can start with stellar levels like Shore of Karnaca and Addermire Institute yet still getting even better and better with each level.

Dishonored 2 is the reason Im so excited for Prey. Arkane are masters of their craft.

Oh, I didn't mean those levels were bad or anything. I would argue that the Addermire Institute is on par with the best levels from the first game, which, as you said, is a testament to how great the levels are in this game.

DrD

It feels like demos are making a comeback. Don't remember very many demos (except betas for MP games) at the end of last gen/beginning of this gen so this is nice to see. Great games can benefit from this, wouldn't have bought Nioh if it wasn't for the demo.

I'll definitely give Dishonored 2 a try even though I was already planning on picking it up sometime as a fan of the first.

Angry Fork

Timepiece level is in the top 3 best things I've ever played and I've been playing since mid 90s. My jaw was dropped constantly, completely floored at how technically amazing/cool the level was. I desperately wish there was more than 1 level for it or another game that was similar with multiple levels like that.

Rest of the game was great as well but I personally like the aesthetics/settings in the first game more. Lot darker and more oppressive atmosphere than the 2nd. Not a big fan of constant sunny environments especially in a stealth game. Also not a fan of multiple characters being playable with different skills and stuff, I always prefer 1 character.

For people still on the fence it's 100% worth getting, especially if you like stealth or the 1st game.

Yeah Addermire is where the game clicked for me.

Regginator

Gonna try this out to see the performance I'll get.

Also, how many missions are there in Dishonored 2? Because 3 missions for a demo sounds like a lot....

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Timepiece level is in the top 3 best things I've ever played and I've been playing since mid 90s. My jaw was dropped constantly, completely floored at how technically amazing/cool the level was. I desperately wish there was more than 1 level for it or another game that was similar with multiple levels like that.

Didn't Titanfall 2 have a similar level/mechanic?

Bronetta

Gonna try this out to see the performance I'll get.

Also, how many missions are there in Dishonored 2? Because 3 missions for a demo sounds like a lot....

Around 10 missions overall but theyre all very lengthy. It took me 22 hours to beat the game, so assuming you dont rush youll be spending 2 hours or more on each level.

And yes, 3 missions IS a lot. I'd have expected just 1 mission for a demo.

Didn't Titanfall 2 have a similar level/mechanic?

Yes it did. Lets leave it at that without getting spoilerific for either game.

If I download this trial is it a full game download, or just the 3 levels you download? I don't want to spend all my bandwidth downloading the entire game only to not like it...

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it did. Lets leave it at that without getting spoilerific for either game.

Sure. I don't actually know much about Titanfall, just what I've read on Gaf.

Dishonored 2 is a game I'd absolutely recommend people try, so this trial is a great idea, something that they should've had since the game launched. But I'm a proponent of demos anyway, since that's how I got into a lot of games back in the day.

BTA

Including the beginning seems like a really good way to scare people away from the game.

I enjoyed what I played of the game (4 or 5 missions?) and will definitely finish it in the next few months, but if I wasn't already invested, that wouldn't have sold me on it at all.

bacardi

Does this game suffer terrible LOD and pop-ins along with messed up shadows at certain angles on the PS4, same as PC? I guess i'd give it a shot since it was such a terrible port on PC.

I really hope it sells well. The world needs dishonored 3.

The game is great, stutters and runs pretty badly but the game is great! Try it out!

peakish

Turn off the objective markers, folk. Every objective has been tested to work without them and it makes the world feel very immersive as you cross reference maps, journal notes and conservation hints to explore it. It's a puzzle by itself and up to you to solve.

There are
__9__
. And yes, they are just as big, if not bigger than D1. The middle stretch of missions in Dishonored 2 are incredible. They only get better as you progress.
Yeah, the missions are varied and of extremely high quality overall. Maybe a couple that aren't as great as others, but since the peaks are some of the most impressive stuff I've seen in games that would be basically impossible. I wasn't super enthused by Dishonored 1 but this game knocks it out of the park. It's like one of those games I thought they didn't make anymore.

Is this demo safe to play if you have not finished dishonored? Any major spoilers from the first level?
It runs off from the end result of the first game. But I think you can guess how that ends.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I download this trial is it a full game download, or just the 3 levels you download? I don't want to spend all my bandwidth downloading the entire game only to not like it...

Depends on the platform. On consoles it's a full download but the Steam demo download contains just demo-related content and is significantly smaller (progress will still carry over to the full game).

Shari

Depends on the platform. On consoles it's a full download but the Steam demo download contains just demo-related content and is significantly smaller (progress will still carry over to the full game).

Do you know if we can access beta branch using the demo? Is 1.3 already pulled to master?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you know if we can access beta branch using the demo? Is 1.3 already pulled to master?

The demo's beta branch is password-protected, however the latest beta build of the full game was pushed through to the public branch a couple of weeks ago, so I'd imagine the demo is based on that same build.

It's only great if you didn't play the first game and DLC.

The sequel has some great moments, but the story is incredibly underwhelming imo. Gameplay is pretty busted in places too.

I played the first game a couple times through and I think the sequel is leaps and bounds ahead. I definitely agree on the story being underwhelming, but then I didn't think the first game was all that great story wise as well (apart from all that crazy cool shit about whales).

peakish

How long do you need to play to see the worst of the framedrops on PC?
I remember the worst being one of the last missions in the game. But I noticed the bad performance pretty early on so the demo should be enough to judge the expected performance for you.

KainXVIII

Running mostly solid 60 fps on 1080p with my GTX 970 and i5-3570 on ultra settings
in tutorial level lol
UPD - but then first real level shatter all my dreams, 45-50 fps even on medium settings 😀 Funny that even on ultra fps is mostly same in one particular room where you choose your character. Only adaptive resolution can squeeze some extra fps (but not to 60)

This would probably be more appealing to people if the size wasn't massive. Games are so damn big now and it isn't slowing down. And then once people have it downloaded, they see the mediocre performance. Which actually feels smooth compared to the disaster it was at launch.

The game really needs more exposure. Some of the best stealth game level design since Thief 2.

Zomba13

This is cool. I meant to grab the game when it came out but had other stuff to play and too little money at the time so I just put it off. This, plus it being on sale right now (on steam at least, till the 11th) makes it a good chance to play a nice chunk and then buy the game. I very much enjoyed Dishonored 1. I heard some not so nice things about the PC port so I hope they've been cleaned up by now.

I know this whole issue with PC performance is a problem but the frame rate on regular PS4 is pretty awful in places, the start of mission 2 when you ride the boat into Karnaca and the the point when you reach the first arc pylon and the part a guard speaks to a crowd of people.

something tells me it won't get better from here on and it made me stop playing than removing the demo, now hopefully my experience on PC will be slightly better.

Top Bottom