• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 Free Trial coming on April 6! (PC,PS4,X1)

jett

D-Member
Man this runs terribly on my PC. At a 60fps target I get awful stuttering. V-sync is broken in multiple ways and I'm not sure its dynamic resolution option was working at all. I'm not sure it was even holding 30fps during one part of the intro. I guess I'm gonna have to mess with its multiple vsync options + RTSS, just to get 30fps... This is one of the things I hate about PC gaming for sure, when shit like this happens. I don't even understand why is the framerate so low.

SomTervo

Man this runs terribly on my PC. At a 60fps target I get awful stuttering. V-sync is broken in multiple ways and I'm not sure its dynamic resolution option was working at all. I'm not sure it was even holding 30fps during one part of the intro. I guess I'm gonna have to mess with its multiple vsync options + RTSS, just to get 30fps... This is one of the things I hate about PC gaming for sure, when shit like this happens. I don't even understand why is the framerate so low.

That's really shit. What specs?

At least it's probably a game that looks decent if you knock down the settings

The game running like a turd is the main reason I avoided it despite loving the first. So they haven't fixed the performance?

The game running like a turd is the main reason I avoided it despite loving the first. So they haven't fixed the performance?

Game is a stutterfest for me. I've spent about 40 minutes with the game, and my frame rates are well north of 60 fps, but there is constant stuttering that ruins the game. The stutters are reduced noticeably using RTSS but it does not fix the problem entirely.

jett

D-Member

They haven't fixed anything, and enabling either vsync or triple buffering still gives me torn frames, for some reason.

It's probably pretty damn demanding on the processor with the insane amount of (very clever) AI running around. Overclock?

It ran great for me from day one. Computer probably 1.5x better than Jett's thi.

My CPU is pretty good, guess I could overclock it to 4.2. I doubt it will do anything. It was chugging during the tutorial where there's no AI whatsoever.

SomTervo

They haven't fixed anything, and enabling either vsync or triple buffering still gives me torn frames, for some reason.

My CPU is pretty good, guess I could overclock it to 4.2. I doubt it will do anything. It was chugging during the tutorial where there's no AI whatsoever.

Damn.

Guess my machine was good enough to brute force it

On xbox one
The aiming in this game is HORRIBLE, holy shit
Why the fuck is it so floaty? Its so slow when you need to make precise aims, then when you turn its too fast. The aiming acceleration is fucked i think, uninstalled after the second level.

On xbox one
Why the fuck is it so floaty? Its so slow when you need to make precise aims, then when you turn its too fast. The aiming acceleration is fucked i think, uninstalled after the second level.

Yeah, PS4 here, the controls aren't ideal. It's especially noticeable coming from BF1.

The acceleration and very low FoV put me off playing it every time I put it on. I can't get used to the controls and get confident using them switching between the two games.

jett

D-Member
On xbox one

Heh, I noticed the awful aiming on the tutorial alone.

jet1911

Well it's running kinda ok for me. Most of the graphics stuff is at medium, Vsync on and I get some slowdown here and there. 2500k and a 380X

Tainted

Props to Arkane / Bethesda for releasing a demo at all....at least now I will get a fairly reasonable idea how this will run on my PC. These days demos for AAA games are fairly rare, so I applaud this.

Will check it out when I get home from work :)

Hmm, have you tried turning on borderless fullscreen? With that and Vsync off I've gotten zero tearing and better FPS

I'm actually floored at how solid the game performs on my system given its reputation. Better than Mankind Divided, Hitman, even more consistent than Rainbow Six Siege, all on similar settings. I do have a 970 but my 2500 has been showing its age.

Unfortunately even with the option to play entirely powerlessly I still don't think I'm ready for another Dishonored experience. The game just never feels that good with its combat, and I have little gripes that end up impacting my personal enjoyment -- like for a game that has an immersive sim background, I find it offputting that I can't just have my sword out and have to be dual-wielding a gun alongside it at all times, and the delay with holstering is grating with how often I feel inclined to do it.

laxu

On my overclocked 980 Ti + 6600K @ 4.6 GHz this game runs really well with Ultra settings at 1440p. Probably not 60 fps but it is not really a fast paced game so all I care is that it runs smoothly.

I can't get into the story at all though, just don't care about it but the gameplay is solid and visually it is nice. Also really nice to get a demo, haven't had one for quite some time. They just should've had it out when the game was released or before it as a teaser.

Paragon

I'm actually floored at how solid the game performs on my system given its reputation. Better than Mankind Divided, Hitman, even more consistent than Rainbow Six Siege, all on similar settings. I do have a 970 but my 2500 has been showing its age.
That surprises me. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was perfectly playable on my GTX 960 + i5-2500K system once I dropped the graphics to appropriate settings for that card. (720p50)
Hitman is a 30 FPS game with an i5-2500K, but a very smooth one.
Dishonored 2 still runs very badly on my new GTX 1070 + R7-1700X system with a G-Sync monitor.
Framerate numbers look fine in tools like MSI Afterburner, but it's constantly stuttering all the time, even at very low settings and the game apparently running above 90 FPS.

I haven't gone back and tried the first level or two though; it's once you reach Karnaca that the performance plummets.
Is that in the demo, or does it stop right before that?
It doesn't let you download the demo if you own the game.

epmode

The thing that kills me about the PC port is that it never feels like what I'm seeing in the framecounter. Like, I get around 58 FPS in the lobby of the Clockwork Manor. There aren't any significant fluctuations either. With a G-Sync monitor and vsync disabled, it should be virtually indistinguishable from 60 FPS ..but it's not, at all. The frames seem to stutter or hiccup or whatever. Feels terrible.

Ploid 3.0

I wish I enjoyed Dishonored 1, I would download this demo just to mess around with it but I doubt I'd enjoy it. More demos please, and thanks for doing this Devs, or Bethesda.

120 fps feels very smooth. 60 fps however feels bad, I can definitely see the bad framepacing there.

It seems like my 1080 Ti can do 120 fps at 1080P, but it's obviously a waste of resources when I should be downsampling from 4K...

Favorite game I've played this year. Really excellent.

Didn't have any problems with the controls, but that's probably because I played a lot of Dishonored 1 as well and knew what to expect. I also don't play it as an FPS/combat, I play it as stealth, and so I very rarely had any times where I'd need to use quick controls for fighting/killing. Another note is that you upgrade your character throughout the game with dozens of upgrades (40 or 50), and a lot of those alter the game with things like precision aim, slowing down time when sliding or jumping, and other aspects that give you an advantage... So your character early in the game is pretty nerfed.

It's only great if you didn't play the first game and DLC.

The sequel has some great moments, but the story is incredibly underwhelming imo. Gameplay is pretty busted in places too.

I'm surprised about this opinion... I played Dishonored 1 a few times, and I liked Dishonored 2 more I think. The level design was just so original in Dishonored 2, and D1 also had great levels, but I just love how the levels are constructed and change entirely based on your play style. Agreed on story, but both games have ridiculously cheesy, scifi storylines. For gameplay, I loved how most levels introduce a mechanic and then they rarely went back to that mechanic in a later level... I thought it kept it really fresh.

Paragon

The thing that kills me about the PC port is that it never feels like what I'm seeing in the framecounter. Like, I get around 58 FPS in the lobby of the Clockwork Manor. There aren't any significant fluctuations either. With a G-Sync monitor and vsync disabled, it should be virtually indistinguishable from 60 FPS ..but it's not, at all. The frames seem to stutter or hiccup or whatever. Feels terrible.
If you have a G-Sync display, do you have the option for a hardware refresh rate monitor? I'm not sure if that's a standard feature.
I see a massive difference between what framerate monitoring programs show, and what the display reports in Dishonored 2. It can be as much as 20 FPS lower.

Yeah it would drop to like 48-50 for me. In most other games that wouldnt even really bother me, i play Dark Souls 3 maxed out at 1440p, and it will drop to 48-50 too, but its never once bothered me. In Dishonored as soona s it dropped it just feels awful. Couple that with the horrible, horrible IQ if you're playing at anything less than 4k. I gave up after Clockwork mansion. Not only because of the horrible performance but those fuckign robots in the Mansion were so not fun. D2 is probably my biggest gaming disappointment this gen.

jett

D-Member
Using borderless fullscreen fixed some issues for me, but I had to lock it to 30fps with the in-game limiter. If the framerate is unlocked I get horrible stutter. I guess it's a console experience for me. p.s. Using RTSS gave me massive loading times, when I disabled it things went back to normal.

This game is fun, but it's A LOT like the first game, basically the same, only that the levels are huge. I think that's why I ignored it last year, it looked too much like something I had already played. I'm playing as the empress but it still feels really samey.

One small nitpick I have is that there are so many documents lying around to read, and they're all so boring and uninteresting. At least something like TLOU had handcrafted visuals for each message you picked up, it wasn't just a wall of text, really added to the game (and they were better written and provided a more interesting window into the game's universe). This is really dull world-building. And I think I'm fed up of first-person cut-scenes, super boring.

Moff

messy pc version, poor stealth gameplay, some stellar level design. I loved if far less than I expected, Dishonored was my favorite new franchise of last gen.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Yeah can't enjoy this with the awful aiming. Shame Dishonored was one of my favourite titles last gen. Only held out on the second due to hearing bad performance issues.

thumb

Banned
messy pc version, poor stealth gameplay, some stellar level design. I loved if far less than I expected, Dishonored was my favorite new franchise of last gen.

I've played D1 and D2 extensively. Why do you think the stealth got worse? I have more options than before.

Moff

I've played D1 and D2 extensively. Why do you think the stealth got worse? I have more options than before.

I wrote some paragraphs about that in the OT, it just never felt right for me. I love stealth games since Thief 1 and Tenchu and think I am quite good at them, but dishonored 2 never really worked for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, if it was the lack of overview or enemies spotting me too fast, but playing a stealth game as I usually do - knocking out every enemy non lethally in the level without ever being seen - was just a huge pain in this game with tons of quickloading.

Afro

Aim acceleration w/ gamepad is dreadful. Using RTSS to lock at 60 with a 980 Ti / i7 3770 / G-Sync (1080p) and I felt the poor frame pacing in the first mission area with the guards. Uninstalled instantly.

I wrote some paragraphs about that in the OT, it just never felt right for me. I love stealth games since Thief 1 and Tenchu and think I am quite good at them, but dishonored 2 never really worked for me. I can't quite put my finger on it, if it was the lack of overview or enemies spotting me too fast, but playing a stealth game as I usually do - knocking out every enemy non lethally in the level without ever being seen - was just a huge pain in this game with tons of quickloading.

Game is just super hard your first playthrough. Enemies are much more observant and reactive than any other stealth game other than probably MGSV (until you activate i̶n̶v̶i̶s̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶ abuse prone and rolling). Once you get a better idea of the guards' vision ranges and have a good understanding of the level layout, it becomes much more manageable. I've already done a no powers no knockouts/ detections playthrough and have been working on finding reliable routes to do so without needing to spam quicksave.

Just got done trying this on Xb1. Controls took some time getting used to and there were issues with areas not loading and there would just be these white walls where the next room or area should have been instead. I was mostly taken aback by how little to no weight every hit had.

peakish

Using borderless fullscreen fixed some issues for me, but I had to lock it to 30fps with the in-game limiter. If the framerate is unlocked I get horrible stutter. I guess it's a console experience for me. p.s. Using RTSS gave me massive loading times, when I disabled it things went back to normal.

This game is fun, but it's A LOT like the first game, basically the same, only that the levels are huge. I think that's why I ignored it last year, it looked too much like something I had already played. I'm playing as the empress but it still feels really samey.

One small nitpick I have is that there are so many documents lying around to read, and they're all so boring and uninteresting. At least something like TLOU had handcrafted visuals for each message you picked up, it wasn't just a wall of text, really added to the game (and they were better written and provided a more interesting window into the game's universe). This is really dull world-building. And I think I'm fed up of first-person cut-scenes, super boring.
Yeah, the first levels in particular are a bit too much like the first game. There's proper great stuff in the game (from someone who wasn't a big fan of the first) but it's a couple of levels away from the demo.

Of course I think anyone who plays the demo should judge from what they're offered in it and not take my word for it.

Regginator

280X
8GB

These are literally my specs as well, though here and there a slight OC (4GHz on CPU and 1.06GHz on GPU).

I've played through the first mission and now halfway through the second, and outside I'm getting around 30-35fps on 1080p. Everything is set at High (so to means below Very High and Ultra). Not very satisfied with the performance, but at least I'm not having any input lag or mouse related problems.

Tainted

Finished up the trial and quite impressed tbh. The first 3 levels give a good impression of the game, really liked the level design esp in the last level (Addermire Institute)

I was expecting a bit of a shitstorm with the PC version but I had it running at a solid 60fps on V.high settings, had no issues at all with the performance.

Specs: i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM

The story didnt grab me, but I wasn't paying alot of attention to all the notes being picked up. I may pick it up one day maybe during a sale, not a terrible game by any means...I think any fans of the original will enjoy this.

PrinceKee

Can't download on the PS4. It says unable to download and then when I try again it says unable to locate.

Anyways should I play the first one first? I want to play this, but didn't wanna play the first with my already huge backlog...

Yeah can't enjoy this with the awful aiming. Shame Dishonored was one of my favourite titles last gen. Only held out on the second due to hearing bad performance issues.
Same, wish I never bought it a month ago. Aiming/controls is terrible, so janky and slow.
I cant believe someone thought it was ok, after D1 - this is what they give us? D1 was smooth and fun/responsive and easy to control.

Why havent they fixed it?

M.D

Finished up the trial and quite impressed tbh. The first 3 levels give a good impression of the game, really liked the level design esp in the last level (Addermire Institute)

I was expecting a bit of a shitstorm with the PC version but I had it running at a solid 60fps on V.high settings, had no issues at all with the performance.

Specs: i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM

The story didnt grab me, but I wasn't paying alot of attention to all the notes being picked up. I may pick it up one day maybe during a sale, not a terrible game by any means...I think any fans of the original will enjoy this.
You have it on Very high without changing anything? I have the same spec except for a 4790k for a CPU and I'm definitely getting some drops and I'm at the first level

I played the trial and had a blast. Is it necessary to play the first one to understand this one?

No, not really. If you enjoyed the gameplay then go for it. You can always go back to play the first and the DLC if you want a fuller picture, but you won't be "missing" anything.

Top Bottom