• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: Death of The Outsider |OT| The Other Side of The Coin

mujun

Does anyone know how to get past the people around the door connecting the Secton Club and Shan's house? I couldn't figure out a way.

I wish that every building/area had multiple points of entry. I don't like the way you only have one way into (in this game and Dishonored 2) some places, Ivan Jacobi's place, for example.

Lijik

Anyone else doing a no-kill playthrough getting a random death on the Bank Heist mission? Ive cleaned out the streets twice now and each time I get a random death before I even get to the bank. I have no idea what it could be. I guess next time I play ill have to remember to make frequent saves

Does anyone know how to get past the people around the door connecting the Secton Club and Shan's house? I couldn't figure out a way.

Foresight past them and set up a displacement marker out of their eyesight.
If you have the eyeless tattoo that should be sufficient and they'll let you walk around once you're in.

shiba5

I feel like it's a bit of a cop out that they let you just buy the
Poppy Tincture at the regular Black Market
. The only way to buy it should be through the
auction since the time and effort that it takes kind of offsets how insanely overpowered it is in the mission itself

It's because you wouldn't be able to get it in New Game+. No Semblance.

BeeDog

I wish that every building/area had multiple points of entry. I don't like the way you only have one way into (in this game and Dishonored 2) some places, Ivan Jacobi's place, for example.

You gotta tattoo yourself to get into the club in the first place. And for the guys in front of the door to the bridge, you can go into the side room and turn off the machine feeding the sitting Eyeless blood so they get knocked out, and then you can kill the woman standing in front of the bridge door.

I got the
Shen's place
before I entered the
Club
haha. No idea how, but I did that whole thing backwards.

It's entirely possible,
I found a note that told me about a knock and overheard a conversation about the knock to enter his house, which causes a maid to come to the door whom you can safely and quickly knock out or kill before she alerts.

What do you mean? You don't have to kill anyone in Dishonored. The level design in the first game was pretty amazing. You had awesome secondary characters like Slackjaw, Granny Rags, the Pendletons, the Boyles, etc.

I don't know who any of the people in D2 are. Paolo? Overseer Byrne? Garbage characters. Even Delialah went from mysterious powerful witch to "oh poor me, I'm actually Jessamine's sister."
Then you have the Outsider who goes from mysterious powerful being to an annoying emo dude who feels the need to sit on everything while talking to you. Oh, and his backstory being so random that he goes from kid to most powerful being in the world was pretty whack.

I didn't say you have to kill people. But I think Dishonored 2 has more approaches in each of its levels, as well as significantly better AI. Even playing Dishonored with the difficulty mod, guards are rather dull compared to 2's.

Dishonored 1 does have more focus on its characters, but both games suffer from shallow writing. Why does Daud feel regret? He just does. We know Jessamine is a good person, but why would Daud suddenly care about that? Dishonored 2 has potential for deeper ideas, such as Emily having to confront the consequences of her disinterest in ruling, but takes such an entirely predictable path that has no bearing on the main story that it ultimately doesn't matter. The lore in the books has always been far superior to the actual dialogue and monologues, and the first game's sporadically poor voice acting didn't help either.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's entirely possible,
I found a note that told me about a knock and overheard a conversation about the knock to enter his house, which causes a maid to come to the door whom you can safely and quickly knock out or kill before she alerts.

Thats exactly how I did Mission 2. I could have finished the mission entirely without visiting the Parlour or the Club.

You know its brilliant level design when you can complete main objectives without even following the directions/markers. I was just going around exploring for contracts when I figured out how to get into Shen Yun's house.

Timeaisis

It's entirely possible,

Yup, same thing happened to me. I just explore everywhere and frequently stumble upon things out of their intended order, I guess. Pretty cool, though.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished Mission 2 at 5 hours.

Love the addition of Contracts, really adds to the exploration and world building.

Kazuhira

5 missions total,right? I want to buy it but i need to save some money for The Evil Within 2.
I'm replaying D2 to scratch that itch right now,but i promise i'll buy it asap.

rackham

Banned
I didn't say you have to kill people. But I think Dishonored 2 has more approaches in each of its levels, as well as significantly better AI. Even playing Dishonored with the difficulty mod, guards are rather dull compared to 2's.

Dishonored 1 does have more focus on its characters, but both games suffer from shallow writing. Why does Daud feel regret? He just does. We know Jessamine is a good person, but why would Daud suddenly care about that? Dishonored 2 has potential for deeper ideas, such as Emily having to confront the consequences of her disinterest in ruling, but takes such an entirely predictable path that has no bearing on the main story that it ultimately doesn't matter. The lore in the books has always been far superior to the actual dialogue and monologues, and the first game's sporadically poor voice acting didn't help either.

Daud cares because he feels like he did something he shouldn't have. Plain and simple. He out right says it. He didn't think Jessamine deserved to die and feels that he made a lot of people suffer because of it. Daud isn't inherently a bad person because he's an assassin.

I think you're wrong about DH2 having more approaches to its levels. There is usually only one good way to do each level. The level design just seems cluttered and off.

Emily feels like an afterthought of a character. Her powers are just kind of bad. Far Reach feels incomplete and buggy. All of the plot threads in DH2 make no sense really. Doesn't really say why Emily and Corvo let the Empire fall to shit to begin with. They just did because gold.

At least in the first game it was falling apart due to forces outside of their control- the rat plague.

As for deeper ideas, I think that belongs to Dishonored 1 because of the mystery surrounding everything.

hotcyder

Emily feels like an afterthought of a character. Her powers are just kind of bad. Far Reach feels incomplete and buggy. All of the plot threads in DH2 make no sense really. Doesn't really say why Emily and Corvo let the Empire fall to shit to begin with. They just did because gold.

At least in the first game it was falling apart due to forces outside of their control- the rat plague.

Hopping in despite having not played DOTO yet

I didn't really get any inclination that Dunwall was in calamity during Dishonored 2? Other then the coup that happens which is obviously out of your control

Diancecht

I didn't really get any inclination that Dunwall was in calamity during Dishonored 2? Other then the coup that happens which is obviously out of your control

Dunwall wasn't in calamity but to my understanding, there was rampant corruption all over the Empire.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Why does Daud feel regret? He just does. We know Jessamine is a good person, but why would Daud suddenly care about that?

While I agree that the narrative is nowhere near as accomplished as the gameplay or world building, I think Daud's motivations and inner-workings are pretty clear and logical.

It's pretty apt that you pick that particular example; D2 makes reference to it:

The "Knife of Dunwall," feeling remorse about killing the tyrant Jessamine? As I write, I'm staring at his portrait, and I suspect that Daud always knew destiny was guiding his hand, firm and unforgiving.

The guilt Daud feels is down to Jessamine's station more than anything. He's never killed anyone as important or influential before.

How many people did I kill for you? None like the last. None like her. I'd give back all the coin if I could. No one should have to kill an Empress.

He even mentions that "something broke inside" him (something like that) to Corvo when they fight. Daud understands the mistake he's made, the enormity of the assassination and it's repercussions, and feels progressively guilty about the Chaos the Empress' death causes (which loosely ties the eponymous mechanic to the narrative).

More importantly - it undermines his ego; his understanding of himself. When he murders Kaldwin, he has an epiphany and something of an existential crisis:

He'd looked into Jessamine Kaldwin's eyes at the moment her life slipped away. And in that moment a thought occurred to him: He'd made a mistake. He'd been misled. That kind of thinking was useless. She was just as dead, whether he regretted it or not. But he'd seen his true face reflected in her eyes; seen himself for what he really was. Not a renowned assassin, not some great shaper of history. Just another playing piece in an unknowable game.

This existential crisis is made all the worse by seeing Corvo in action. He looks at the change Corvo makes to the world (in Low Chaos) with the Outsider's powers and wonders whether as a "shaper of history" he's actually made the world any better through his actions.

So, while I agree with you on the whole, Daud is probably not the best example. I think the above makes for a fairly interesting character and arc (hence why I rate the DLC over D1) compared with most of the other flatter characters in the series.

So is the base PS4 frame rate better? The demo of D2, the arrivle in Karnaca was... unstable, to say the least... and I was playing it stealthfully, just looking around the level hit the performance.

It doesn't really matter sins I didn't buy or finish D2 and I presume death of the outsider is after the ending of the second game? still an improvement is an improvement, if it is improved.

Daud cares because he feels like he did something he shouldn't have. Plain and simple. He out right says it. He didn't think Jessamine deserved to die and feels that he made a lot of people suffer because of it. Daud isn't inherently a bad person because he's an assassin.

I think you're wrong about DH2 having more approaches to its levels. There is usually only one good way to do each level. The level design just seems cluttered and off.

As for deeper ideas, I think that belongs to Dishonored 1 because of the mystery surrounding everything.

I don't know what you mean by "best route." Dishonored 2 is, if anything far less guilty of that than Dishonored 1, where you can simply Blink to high ground and effortlessly bypass all of the enemies. The entire interior of Sokolov's house is essentially extraneous because all you have to do is Blink to a roof, climb a chain, and you're at Sokolov.

The Empire wasn't "falling apart." I don't know where you got that impression. Emily didn't realize the plight of the people in Karnaca because she wasn't interested enough in ruling to pay close attention to what was really happening there.

Morts

Damn, I don’t like the name of the achievement I just got. Hope I’m not reading too much into it.

Final Release?
Yeah, I hope that's not accurate.

The ending where
you convince Daud to free the outsider
is probably the most fleshed out of the whole series. Also
Billie's motivation for actually killing the outsider isn't that convincing.

Also the sword looks cool.

shiba5

Can't you just steal it from there also? Obviously not very sneaky, of course.

You can't rob the black market in New Game+ either. =/
And it doesn't show up at the auction until you win it. I was only able to steal the painting.

CHC

You can't rob the black market in New Game+ either. =/
And it doesn't show up at the auction until you win it. I was only able to steal the painting.

Ah, I understand about the auction.

But as far as I remember you should be able to rob the market. If you go into the
sewer door on the street above the Black Market, you can shoot a dart at the red button
and open the door there.

shiba5

Ah, I understand about the auction.

But as far as I remember you should be able to rob the market. If you go into the
sewer door on the street above the Black Market, you can shoot a dart at the red button
and open the door there.

OMG, I looked forever for a way in. I know they always put multiple ways in, but I even looked online and no one had anything about New Game+ yet. There's probably a way to do the auction then too.

rackham

Banned

Yeah it's very poorly done but the Duke of Serkonos- which is part of Emily's empire, stole from his city to build his palace and Serkonos was in the shits. It's there in the dialogue of the civilians and a little bit in cutscenes. Like I said, it's poorly done.

Even some citizens IN DUNWALL, outside of the palace, right after the coup say that things haven't been good for a long time.

In Dishonored 1 it was very clear that things had gone to shit and it was way out of the Empresses control. That's where the rat plague, Pierro's remedy etc. came in.

rackham

Banned
I don't know what you mean by "best route." Dishonored 2 is, if anything far less guilty of that than Dishonored 1, where you can simply Blink to high ground and effortlessly bypass all of the enemies. The entire interior of Sokolov's house is essentially extraneous because all you have to do is Blink to a roof, climb a chain, and you're at Sokolov.

The Empire wasn't "falling apart." I don't know where you got that impression. Emily didn't realize the plight of the people in Karnaca because she wasn't interested enough in ruling to pay close attention to what was really happening there.
Read above about the Empire. It's poorly done in Dishonored 2 but it's there in dialogue. Her being disinterested in ruling is something that could have been done better too. Also, your reasoning of being able to blink anywhere can be said about any level from any of the games. They all have very quick paths to take. I think that the level design in the first game is better because it feels more cohesive and feels better and more memorable to play through. You can literally beat any level in Dishonored in under 10 minutes.
If anything, Corvo is the after-thought in D2.

Story wise, he is the after thought but powers wise, Emily feels unfinished. Far Reach feels unfinished and buggy. It's such a poor replacement of Blink. Domino is the only slightly decent power she has but it makes things way too easy if you level it up.

Timeaisis

So thoughts on the game after playing for like 8 hours (and only finishing mission 3 :p):

- Hard is hard. I don't remember D2 being this difficult (which I also played on hard). I'm thinking it has to do with the limited abilities you have now, and how you have to plan a little better. Unfortunately, one mistake on hard is basically death and forces me to reload most of the time, and that gets frustrating, but I'm getting the hang of it. Figuring out a step-by-step Displace/Foresight assassination chain is awesome. I've got the bonecharm that gives you +1 displace targets, so it's even better.
- "Escape" options seem limited compared to D1 and D2. Again, less abilities. Corvo could stop time, emily could go stealth. Billie doesn't have an easy "out" ability, so again, it takes planning ahead to make a quick escape, otherwise you are likely dead in your tracks (at least on harder difficulties)
- I haven't figured out the best way to use Hook Mines yet. They seem to be a quick insta kill, and that's it. Which is fine, I just wish there was a little more interaction I could do with them. I guess they are a good distraction...but I don't really see how they are better than a bolt to the face quite yet.
- Semblance takes a while to get used to, but once you do it's probably the coolest ability in the whole game. Especially with the reduced void energy bonecharm. Strolling into a large swatch of enemies and assassinating them one by one is just fantastic.
- I hope they have more bonecharms that change the way abilities work, they really make the game very interesting.
- Level design is a notch below D2, but still very good. I wish there were a little more options for approach is my main complaint. It seems like a lot of places have one obvious entrance and one, well hidden side entrance. Compared to D2 where everywhere had like...4 or 5?
- Some segments seem to heavily favor using an ability to get by. Like so much that it seems there might not be any other way (auction house the prime example, but there are others)
- Contracts are awesome, and I very much enjoy figuring out how to do them. I want them in every Dishonored game going forward.

Anyway, very good game. Excellent stand-alone. Doesn't quite reach the highs of D2 (yet, I still have
2?
missions to go), but it definitely scratches the itch.

Just finished Mission 2 at 5 hours.

Love the addition of Contracts, really adds to the exploration and world building.

Contracts are the highlight of this experience for me, for sure. Just wait till Mission 3 contracts, one of them especially is pretty tough.

Story wise, he is the after thought but powers wise, Emily feels unfinished. Far Reach feels unfinished and buggy. It's such a poor replacement of Blink. Domino is the only slightly decent power she has but it makes things way too easy if you level it up.

Far reach and blink are pretty different, although they seem to be the same. I never got great with Far Reach, but it's ability to build momentum and make consecutive really long jumps is much greater than blinks ability. Think of blink as being like the long jump in the olympics, and far reach being the triple jump where you can progressively build up a ton of momentum to hurl yourself across further distances than in a single blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaRHt2TvNQ

Far Reach also allows you to change direction and maintain momentum, almost using it like the grappling hook w/ wall run in Titanfall 2.

Originally I used it just like Blink and thought it was a chunkier version of blink, but for experts (and I'm definitely not one), far reach has way more creative play uses, like covering huge distances in just a couple of seconds.

rackham

Banned
Far reach and blink are pretty different, although they seem to be the same. I never got great with Far Reach, but it's ability to build momentum and make consecutive really long jumps is much greater than blinks ability. Think of blink as being like the long jump in the olympics, and far reach being the triple jump where you can progressively build up a ton of momentum to hurl yourself across further distances than in a single blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXaRHt2TvNQ

Far Reach also allows you to change direction and maintain momentum, almost using it like the grappling hook w/ wall run in Titanfall 2.

Originally I used it just like Blink and thought it was a chunkier version of blink, but for experts (and I'm definitely not one), far reach has way more creative play uses, like covering huge distances in just a couple of seconds.
My issue isn't with how they're different. It's with how buggy Far Reach is. Sometimes you can be in the same position, pointing the cursor at a certain spot and Far Reach won't latch on to the ledge you want. You let go of it and try it two more times and finally it works. That's what I mean but it feeling incomplete.

Or you could be a few feet away from something and it won't work but it manages to work on things that are a different difference. It's just cumbersome and a hassle. It never feels fun to use.

Tacitus_

Yeah it's very poorly done but the Duke of Serkonos- which is part of Emily's empire, stole from his city to build his palace and Serkonos was in the shits. It's there in the dialogue of the civilians and a little bit in cutscenes. Like I said, it's poorly done.

Even some citizens IN DUNWALL, outside of the palace, right after the coup say that things haven't been good for a long time.
Emily acknowledges that she hadn't paid enough attention to the other parts of the empire during her playthrough and vows to change that once she gets back on the throne.
In Dishonored 1 it was very clear that things had gone to shit and it was way out of the Empresses control. That's where the rat plague, Pierro's remedy etc. came in.

One of the plotters introduced the rat plague to sow chaos in preparation for the assassination and coup.

rackham

Banned
Emily acknowledges that she hadn't paid enough attention to the other parts of the empire during her playthrough and vows to change that once she gets back on the throne.

One of the plotters introduced the rat plague to sow chaos in preparation for the assassination and coup.

Yes they introduced it but there was mystery in it.

Emily acknowledges it but that a one liner doesn't really do much at all. She just lets it fall apart because she wasn't paying attention? Poor excuse. And that awful opening.

Timeaisis

Has anyone figured out a way to
steal the book from the head sister
without anyone seeing you in mission 4? Semblance gets me to her, but if I pickpocket everyone gets alerted.

Edit: just killed them all lol. Now I'm stuck hunting down
unconscious bodies I forgot to kill
for that final contract. Blech.

Lijik

Getting the Perfect Crime achievement in the bank job mission was a lot of fun, one of my favorite missions in the series (but to be fair, i always love a good heist)

Stranya

Yes they introduced it but there was mystery in it.

Emily acknowledges it but that a one liner doesn't really do much at all. She just lets it fall apart because she wasn't paying attention? Poor excuse. And that awful opening.
I agree that they didn't explain it properly, and that the start of D2 was too rushed.

There's a bit of backstory on it in The Corroded Man, the tie in novel that bridges the two games (though has an entirely separate antagonist). That novel, incidentally, goes into a lot of detail on rune and bonecharm crafting.

There was some discussion above about whether the Empire had gone to shit, or whether it was just Karnaca/Serkonos. At the start of D2, Dunwall has been neglected by Emily and her advisors, but hasn't gone to shit. It does, however, after Delilah's violent coup. There's some documents in the game that talk about what's happening in Dunwall whole you're in Serkonos, and when you get back there, you can see (and read about) her having used the clockwork soldiers to subjugated the populace generally, and Emily's supporters in particular. Many buildings have been damaged, and there are corpses hanging from lamp posts.

selfnoise

Has anyone figured out a way to
steal the book from the head sister
without anyone seeing you in mission 4? Semblance gets me to her, but if I pickpocket everyone gets alerted.

Edit: just killed them all lol. Now I'm stuck hunting down
unconscious bodies I forgot to kill
for that final contract. Blech.

Are you talking about
the book of prophecies? If so there's a copy in the elevator you can take. If you're talking about the photograph you need for the main mission,
just go meet her semblanced as the head Templar.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You need a charm for that. It is quite nifty once you get it though.

I accidentally did it last night. Blew my mind because I'd literally been thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if...."

Don't recall getting a specific charm for it though. I'll have to have another look. Which charm is it?

Are charms picked from a random pool or are they set this time? Do they carry over into OG+?

rackham

Banned
I agree that they didn't explain it properly, and that the start of D2 was too rushed.

There's a bit of backstory on it in The Corroded Man, the tie in novel that bridges the two games (though has an entirely separate antagonist). That novel, incidentally, goes into a lot of detail on rune and bonecharm crafting.

There was some discussion above about whether the Empire had gone to shit, or whether it was just Karnaca/Serkonos. At the start of D2, Dunwall has been neglected by Emily and her advisors, but hasn't gone to shit. It does, however, after Delilah's violent coup. There's some documents in the game that talk about what's happening in Dunwall whole you're in Serkonos, and when you get back there, you can see (and read about) her having used the clockwork soldiers to subjugated the populace generally, and Emily's supporters in particular. Many buildings have been damaged, and there are corpses hanging from lamp posts.
I haven't read Corroded Man because I heard it wasn't written very well.

We didn't really see Dunwall in D2 until after Dellilah fucked everything up. I think they (Arkane) wanted to show that it had gone to shit but didn't really know how. That's why there's a throw away line from the civilians directly after the coup (outside the palace) that things haven't been good in the Empire for a long time. It just makes me ask "how?? In what way?" The civilians don't really bother expanding on it past that.

That's why I think they did the first Dishonored better. The plot, lore, setting and characters all meshed together pretty perfectly imo.

CHC

Oh my god using that bonecharm that makes it so you aren't tripped when you explode someone with Displace.... easily my favorite in the whole DLC.

It's fucking crazy when there are two enemies talking and then you just Displace right into one, insta-gib him, then execute his friend in like a half second. Doesn't even count as getting spotted.

Edit: Also, Hook Mine from above + Semblance... another good combo.

NeatoKuni

Playing the game now and love it. So far though displacement is my least favorite blink ability. I feel like the new abilities are complicated for no reason.

I've ran into a few annoying glitches in the past couple missions that have cost me a lot of wasted time, loving the game overall but it just doesn't feel quite as polished as I hoped.

Bronetta

For all you Dishonored fans, I made a Billie Lurk appreciation thread. Would be great to see you there to support Arkane and spread awareness for this awesome game.

Can someone tell me how black markets work? Do you need to finish contracts before you rob them?

Or do you just get a reward when you accomplish the task?

Top Bottom