• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored - PC performance thread

I'm having a little problem with the game. While it runs perfectly fine, every time I launch the game, steam prompts me to install the msiexec. Regardless of whether I accept the install or not, the popup keeps coming up whenever I launch the game. It doesn't seem to disrupt gameplay by any means, but its still annoying nonetheless.

Is there a way to fix this?

Ok so I deleted steam, reinstalled everything, and IT WON'T WORK. Anybody here had a similar issue with Steam, cause I'm damning Gabe to hell. I could have bought the ps3 version, would have been hassle free but i'm stuck now with this. err msg: The Game is unavailable( Unspecified error.)

Thanks.

Make sure that for some stupid reason the game hasn't set itself to not allow auto updating via STEAM

If there is some download that is required to launch it and it's set to not allow downloading you can get that error message loop.

SoulClap

Not really true... there's an "Off" option if you keep checking the options inside the Anti-Aliasing field.

You're right. Well I'm an idiot.

I'm having a little problem with the game. While it runs perfectly fine, every time I launch the game, steam prompts me to install the msiexec. Regardless of whether I accept the install or not, the popup keeps coming up whenever I launch the game. It doesn't seem to disrupt gameplay by any means, but its still annoying nonetheless.

Is there a way to fix this?

I have the same issue. Thank God it's not game breaking.

Deepo

I'm having trouble with my game settings resetting between game launches. This only happens when playing in offline mode, which I was planning on doing for a few days. Seems related to Steam Cloud. Anyone else seeing this?

.nimrod

I'm having trouble with my game settings resetting between game launches. This only happens when playing in offline mode, which I was planning on doing for a few days. Seems related to Steam Cloud. Anyone else seeing this?

Yup, happens to me as well and it's very annoying.

I have the same issue. Thank God it's not game breaking.

I managed to fix the problem. The msiexec installer is apparently tied to the version of PhysX that the game wants you to install, but it wouldn't install because your computer has a version of PhysX that is newer than this one.

What I did was to remove my newer version of PhysX, and installed the older version of PhysX that the game wants me to install. After that, the popup message no longer appears. Then I just re-downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and updated my PhysX back to the latest version, and now my game launches without any problem.

epmode

So I can't remember how to fix this:

Every time I launch dishonored, I get a Windows 7 UEC prompt asking me to allow Steam Client Service to run. Regardless of my choice, the game works fine. But it keeps asking! This is a problem for Big Picture Mode.

I've already tried deleting the Redist folder in the Dishonored path but it doesn't help so the offending files must be elsewhere. Any ideas?

edit: Fixed it.

My problem was that the game wanted to reinstall PhysX but I had a later version of Physx on my computer so the installer would return an error complete. Apparently, someone didn't bother to make it so that this error message counts as a successful installation (since there's no reason to revert to an older version of PhysX). I found this out by running the EXE files in the Redist folder one at a time and found the one with an error.

I fixed it by first uninstalling PhysX through the Programs and Features section of the Windows Control Panel, then launching Dishonored. I only hope the game allows me to install a later version of PhysX without freaking out again.

Make sure that for some stupid reason the game hasn't set itself to not allow auto updating via STEAM

If there is some download that is required to launch it and it's set to not allow downloading you can get that error message loop.

Thanks guys, but none of this worked. This is garbage, and Bethesda doesn't seem to be very helping also. I downloaded a demo just to see if it's steam or the game(Project Hell Yeah demo works perfectly), Seems it's the game working with Steam that seems to be the issue.I am out of ideas.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
From this thread seems like a

69502GB flashed to 6970
16GB Ram

should handle this game maxed at 60fps? Or am I mistaken?

Can't wait, but alas I wont be getting this for a week maybe two.

Salsa

560ti 1gb
i5 2500k @ 3.3ghz

constant 60fps with everything maxed out. Noice. Will try downsampling for my second playthrough, should have the 670 again by then

SoulClap

I managed to fix the problem. The msiexec installer is apparently tied to the version of PhysX that the game wants you to install, but it wouldn't install because your computer has a version of PhysX that is newer than this one.

What I did was to remove my newer version of PhysX, and installed the older version of PhysX that the game wants me to install. After that, the popup message no longer appears. Then I just re-downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and updated my PhysX back to the latest version, and now my game launches without any problem.

Thanks. That worked.

Link to latest PhysX software:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.0613-driver.html

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How's this game with crossfire?

I have this:

CPU: i7 2600k 3.4Ghz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600mhz
SSD: Corsair Force 3 240 GB & Intel 320 series 160 GB
GPU: Diamond HD 5970

And I'm hoping I can get 60+fps at 1080p on all max settings.

You can't. SGSSAA is an Nvidia-only feature. Sucks, I know... I'm hoping to get a 680 soon to get away from AMD.
That's a 5 terraflop GPU. Support is hit or miss though.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I'm forced to use SGSSAA since MSAA doesn't work. Framerate seems fine so far, but there's definite stutter as I load and enter new areas. Seems like a VRAM issue...surprising on a GTX 680.

epmode

Textures seem so low res, even on high.

Didn't they talk about how the PC version will have higher resolution textures than the console version? Are those textures in right now or will they be released as a separate download (like Skyrim)?

TheExodu5

Banned
Not actually not sure if MSAA works at all since it's using deferred rendering, but you could try these bits:

0x000010C1
0x004040C1

Yeah, tried 10C1...no dice. Probably can't get MSAA working at all. Maybe disabling it might help my SGSSAA performance.

edit: disabling MSAA breaks SGSSAA.

The Bioshock bits work. But it's still a sizable performance hit.

The Bioshock bits don't work. They just kill performance.

Salsa

weird. Forcing this through inspector:

iDqg7GEVv27d3.PNG

and it works, but the whole game seems to have gotten way blurry. In-game AA methods are off.

Salsa

Make sure you set LOD bias to -1.0000

ah shit, I forgot

thanks. Also another issue wich im not sure if its happening to everyone or not:

when the game goes letterbox during "cutscenes", its like the black bars are too small for the screen, as in, I can still see a bit of environment on top and bottom of the whole thing

as seen here:

TheExodu5

Banned
In the ini file:

[TextureStreaming]
PoolSize=512
MemoryMargin=64

Defaults are 160 and 20. Maybe this will fix the stuttering issue...Gonna test it out.

edit: nope :(

Solo

This game is 2012's RAGE on a technical and artistic level - amazing, beautiful, cohesive world design that shouldn't be looked at too closely.

Top Bottom