• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney reportedly been in talks to buy most of 21st century fox

Kimawolf

http://www.businessinsider.com/21st-century-fox-reportedly-in-talks-to-sell-to-disney-2017-11

Disney was recently in talks with 21st Century Fox to buy most of the company, according to CNBC's David Faber.

The deal would trim 21st Century Fox's assets into a more focused slate of news and sports networks that can better compete in a changing media landscape, the report said.

An acquisition would exclude Fox News because Disney cannot own two broadcast networks, the report said. Fox's sports channels would also not be combined with ESPN to avoid anti-trust scrutiny.

Disney was reportedly interested in buying National Geographic and FX Networks, among others.

Could this be a return of Marvel properties from Fox back to Disney?! But either way this is huge! And when does Disney begin to grow TOO LARGE as a media company?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So would this mean even more content that will never be on Netflix?

DrEvil

not a medical professional
This is likely all for the full distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope.. it's the only outstanding SW license Disney doesn't hold.

This is likely all for the full distribution rights to Star Wars: A New Hope.. it's the only outstanding SW license Disney doesn't hold.

That's probably it.

If this goes thtough, Disney would own The Simpsons and Family Guy, wouldn't they? I just can't envision that.

t-storm

My thoughts.

Also, don't care much for Fox, but D. getting too big ain't good.

Disney slowly trying to take over the world...

disney-institute-research-18-638.jpg

Hobbesian

Banned
Thought Disney was about to foster world peace until I read that they aren't interested in purchasing Fox News (and subsequently shutting it down).

MEGATON

Somewhat saddens me we won't see Hugh Jackman in the MCU ever though.

Is pretty cool that we might see X-23 there one day soon.

Now to get Spider-Man full-time and bring the Maximum Carnage and Clone Saga to the big screen.

Hobbesian

Banned
We likely won't get Wolvie-Jackman, but whoever Feige okays to take the helm will likely be the next best thing or even better I'm certain.

Hobbesian

Banned
No pressure.

I can't imagine there being any pressure. It would take Feige having a mental breakdown or something for them to fuck up at this point. Marvel Studios knows its properties and what to do with them, and they stick to their guns, haters be damned.

Thor: Ragnarok is the MCU at its most cocky, screw a talking raccoon. They can get away with anything - do anything with anything at this point.

firelogic

X-Men going back to Disney/Marvel is terrible in my opinion. You can kiss R-rated comic book movies goodbye. But wait, Disney could release those under their Touchstone banner! Well I don't think they would. Why make an R-rated Deadpool movie that doesn't really tie into the MCU when they could make a PG-13 Deadpool movie and closely tie it into the MCU and cash in? Why haven't they made any R-rated movies and released them under Touchstone thus far?

Deadpool is done. X-Force is done (could have been crap anyway). Logan sequels are done (with x-23). And any other weird X property that may have been in development.

So if they get Fox, they'd own Alien, Predator, and Avatar along with X-Men. So MCU, Star Wars, Pixar, Avatar will generate billions yearly. They don't have to come up with any original ideas/IPs ever again.

tkscz

Welp, that's one way Marvel can get the X-men back. But no, Disney is too big and whatever Disney does, Warner does something to catch up and I rather these two giants not do that.

ape2man

Buying 21 century just for star wars? No hell now, that would be insane. I think its a added plus for them but the main pillars of that deal would be.

- Bigger bargaining leverage with cinema's
- Owning a lot of properties for there digital platform.
- Having 21 century fox movie business integrated with disney. As seen as 21 century fox also has a good track record of producing money making movies.
- owning 30% of hulu
- owning 73% of national geographic
- SKY

Damn they would have a lot of leverage on the cable companies

MEGATON

Somewhat saddens me we won't see Hugh Jackman in the MCU ever though.

Is pretty cool that we might see X-23 there one day soon.

Now to get Spider-Man full-time and bring the Maximum Carnage and Clone Saga to the big screen.

You know damn well that they will recast Wolverine sooner rather than later

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I can't imagine there being any pressure. It would take Feige having a mental breakdown or something for them to fuck up at this point. Marvel Studios knows its properties and what to do with them, and they stick to their guns, haters be damned.

Thor: Ragnarok is the MCU at its most cocky, screw a talking raccoon. They can get away with anything - do anything with anything at this point.

they can get away with anything except making exceptional movies

FStubbs

Makes me wonder.

At what point does Disney become big enough to invoke anti-trust lawsuits?

And who sues? Not the Trump administration that's for sure.

If they wanted the X-Men why dont they just buy the X-Men rights would be cheaper than buying the entire company that own the X-Men...

Wiped89

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen. If Disney pulls all Fox stuff off Netflix too there might not be much left.

I wont pay for another streaming service on principle. And if Disney ever stopped releasing on Bluray to push towards streaming then I'd just pirate. And I've never ever pirated anything in my life.

Ubername

Banned
Makes me wonder.

At what point does Disney become big enough to invoke anti-trust lawsuits?

How come Apple isn't getting slapped with anti-trust lawsuits when they control the revenue stream for anything purchased on an iOS device? Teddy Roosevelt is rolling over in his grave

ptuck874

That's probably it.

If this goes thtough, Disney would own The Simpsons and Family Guy, wouldn't they? I just can't envision that.

cant have 2 broadcast networks, that isnt being sold, but fx and natgeo etc cable channels will be and no fox sports, they wont get past anti trust with espn

Ugh, I hope this doesn't happen. If Disney pulls all Fox stuff off Netflix too there might not be much left.

I wont pay for another streaming service on principle. And if Disney ever stopped releasing on Bluray to push towards streaming then I'd just pirate. And I've never ever pirated anything in my life.
Get Prime.

Most of Netflix's originals go to Amazon Video (where you can buy them separately) though Stranger Things hasn't made it's way over and at this point I doubt it ever will. :

But I own and can watch Daredevil!

When we move into a Dystopian future, I feel Disney will control the largest amount of land in the world.

They'll have Jedi armies, and Iron men tanks, and mutants on the prowl taking over all other corporate nations.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Nothing against Disney, but I actually like some of these properties being spread around. The X-Men are large enough to sustain their own film universe. My desire to see more experimental X films outweighs any interest I have in Wolverine meeting Captain America.

Even beyond the comic stuff...not a fan of the idea.

Nothing against Disney, but I actually like some of these properties being spread around. The X-Men are large enough to sustain their own film universe. My desire to see more experimental X films outweighs any interest I have in Wolverine meeting Captain America.

Even beyond the comic stuff...not a fan of the idea.
Same but the Guardians franchise could really use the FF/X-Men catalogue of characters.

Also, I want to see Wolverine with Avengers. Sorry, not sorry.

Top Bottom