• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Disney Sale to Apple? Don’t Count It Out This Time

ManaByte

Gold Member

A few weeks before Bob Iger sat down for that CNBC interview in which he said Disney’s linear TV networks, like ABC and FX, “may not be core” to the company’s business, a veteran Hollywood executive mused to The Hollywood Reporter on the possibility of a deal that would rock the industry: Apple buying Disney. It’s an idea that keeps being discussed, even though many top executives have scoffed at it and many still do. Apple doesn’t want to buy a studio, they say, and there’s no way the feds would allow a huge deal like that to go through.

But this observer wasn’t so quick to rule it out. “I don’t think [Apple] would buy the company as it presently exists,” he said. “But if you see Bob start to divest things … that feels like he’s prepping for a sale. And there’s clearly no buyer like Apple.”

More in the article. Basically Iger is talking about selling off things like ABC and TV to slim Disney down so an Apple sale could go through.

Jinzo Prime

Bob is for sure going to sell ABC. He also wants ESPN to be a 50/50 partnership with another company. As far as a full sale of Disney, that is a wait and see.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
There is not a chance this would go through even if they tried. You can't have one of the largest tech companies in the world buying one of the largest media companies in the world. It's too much under one roof.

The relentless pursuit of endless profit and taking over this or that has got to end at some point. It's getting absurd. These companies do not need this much power. They do not need to be this big. They do not need endless growth.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There is not a chance this would go through even if they tried. You can't have one of the largest tech companies in the world buying one of the largest media companies in the world. It's too much under one roof.

The relentless pursuit of endless profit and taking over this or that has got to end at some point. It's getting absurd. These companies do not need this much power. They do not need to be this big. They do not need endless growth.
I think that’s part of the point. They would divest huge parts of it before that happens. I do kind of agree with your comment though. We need more competition, not less.

bitbydeath

Lots of countries approved the Microsoft/Abk merger (aside from the UK), US tried to stop it as well but with lobbying being legal in the US makes it almost impossible to win.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Lots of countries approved the Microsoft/Abk merger (aside from the UK), US tried to stop it as well but with lobbying being legal in the US makes it almost impossible to win.
There is a galaxy of difference between Microsoft buying Activision and Apple buying Disney.

They are not even the same game let alone on the same level.

DrFigs

It could be problematic considering Apple owns Itunes and has apple tv+. Seems obviously bad for competition. But our regulators let Disney buy fox and Microsoft buy activision so the rules are real loosey goosey rn.

bitbydeath

The scope of their respective fields is the difference.
I think you can imagine a world without Activision with little effort.
Can you imagine a world without Disney?
Both could be considered equal in their respective fields, so if you can imagine one then it would also apply to the other. Unless you think only Disney sized companies are never allowed to be bought? In which case history would be against you.

Many were against Fox being bought by Disney and that was far smaller than Activision.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Both could be considered equal in their respective fields, so if you can imagine one then it would also apply to the other. Unless you think only Disney sized companies are never allowed to be bought? In which case history would be against you.

Many were against Fox being bought by Disney and that was far smaller than Activision.
I'm not saying something as big as Disney couldn't be bought.
I'm saying that they can't be considered equal in their respective fields.
Disney owns a ridiculous number of the most successful and influential pop culture icons and IPs in history. The influence of Disney on culture and society is incalculable. Disney has influenced society throughout all of its history, and it's still doing that through all the new IPs it's gobbled up in recent years.

MS acquiring Activision is relevant only to a specific subset of society. Mention all the fuss about the acquisition to a random bloke on the street and they won't know what you're talking about.
Anyone acquiring Disney would be absolutely momentous, just like it was when Disney got Lucasfilm and Marvel and Fox.

This doesn't mean Disney couldn't be bought by anyone. It's just to put things in perspective.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It's not the field that matters it's the size and reach. Disney dwarfs Activision by several magnitudes.

Apple buying them isn't happening. It's just not.
Market cap of Disney: $157B

Microsoft planned to buy ABK for $90B. Market cap of $72B.

Honestly, they're closer in magnitude than I thought. Disney is about twice the size

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I doubt anyone would be allowed to buy Disney as is. Will likely split some of it off. But you never know.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Did you read the article? It says that's what Iger is wanting to do.... sell shit off so that it's make Disney "weaker" and more attractive for a buy out.
Nope. Makes sense though.

didnt-read.gif

bitbydeath

I'm not saying something as big as Disney couldn't be bought.
I'm saying that they can't be considered equal in their respective fields.
Disney owns a ridiculous number of the most successful and influential pop culture icons and IPs in history. The influence of Disney on culture and society is incalculable. Disney has influenced society throughout all of its history, and it's still doing that through all the new IPs it's gobbled up in recent years.

MS acquiring Activision is relevant only to a specific subset of society. Mention all the fuss about the acquisition to a random bloke on the street and they won't know what you're talking about.
Anyone acquiring Disney would be absolutely momentous, just like it was when Disney got Lucasfilm and Marvel and Fox.

This doesn't mean Disney couldn't be bought by anyone. It's just to put things in perspective.
How many third party publishers cost more than Activision?

You can’t directly compare Disney to Activision, but you can compare the most expensive properties in each division.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
It's not the field that matters it's the size and reach. Disney dwarfs Activision by several magnitudes.

Apple buying them isn't happening. It's just not.
What? Of course the field matters. Monopoly’s and anti trust campaigns can happen in any sector regardless of the size of individual companies. If a sectors leading company is only worth 1billion but is about to buy every competition for a couple millions, you’ll have the same anti trust campaigns started against that merger as you would with a Apple/Disney merger / buyout.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Did you read the article? It says that's what Iger is wanting to do.... sell shit off to slim them down so that it's make Disney "weaker" and more attractive for a buy out.
Seems odd to try to shed TV and media for sale to Apple, aren't those the parts Apple would want the most? I can't imagine Apple has much interest in theme parks, its the film catalogue, the Fox, Marvel, Lucasarts, and Disney IP, and the television/sports stuff that apple needs.

I wouldn't mind a total split of the theme parks and the rest of it though. Let the parks flourish without having to serve as promos for everything else "Disney". Do we really need a 100 meet n greets of every rando Disney Junior character? Or rides always tied to some film IP? Let the imagineers have more creative license to make rides that don't need to hew to a specific marketing push (remember how cool that horror themed Alien Encounters attraction was before they toned it down as a Stitch theme?). They can just have a "first look" deal with the movie company for any joint projects.

Dural

Not really, they bought Fox for $71 billion and Fox was one of their direct competitors. Activision wasn't really a direct competitor of microsoft in gaming.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Anything is possible, but I don't think that acquisition would suit Apples strengths. I would say it is unlikely and does not add the value their shareholder would want. I think a large media property for APPLE becomes an albatross and not an asset. I would say they continue to fund their attempts at prestige TV, and licensing sports.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Anything is possible, but I don't think that acquisition would suit Apples strengths. I would say it is unlikely and does not add the value their shareholder would want. I think a large media property for APPLE becomes an albatross and not an asset. I would say they continue to fund their attempts at prestige TV, and licensing sports.
I agree with this. Apple likes to do very specific things, in small quantities, very well. Less products, but more attention and quality to each. Even with Apple TV they do not have as many active productions as the rest, they just make sure the productions they do have are all A-tier. Taking on a company with the library size of Disney, with so many interest and productions and parks and stores and merchandise would be very anti-Apple in terms of core Steve Jobs/Apple philosophies of doing less but better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom