• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scary Fast" Apple Mac event on October 30th to have a heavy focus on gaming

Tams

Then they sign a deal with Nintendo for console versions of thier games for 5-10 billion.

That would be utterly stupid of Nintendo. Selling those rights for less than they have in cash on hand and enabling a monster that would eat their market.

Thankfully, Nintendo know that.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You probably could have ARM CPU's and discreet GPU's. Apple supports PCIe in their super pricey top of the line Mac Pro workstations. Not a leap to see how it could support a GPU.

In the context of how Apple creates their devices having both be on the same die is at least partly a cost and manufacturing efficiency decision. In general there are other efficiencies, such as simpler cooling. The loss of modularity is definitely a downside.
I mean yeah but almost all of these new ARM chips come with a dedicated gpu and you're assumed to use that.

When will we see these on desktops too? News is regarding laptops and NUC but never the full atx cases.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Never underestimate the "apple appeal". Image a world where this apple tv device (ok lets call ...the Apple game console.
Imagine they did this:

Say the m3 is a monster, and it's 10.teraflops, or they even put 2 together (ultra) for 20.

They throw mad money at ea, ubisoft, square, and a bunch of other developers to port games. Then they sign a deal with Nintendo for console versions of thier games for 5-10 billion. (Portable rights stay with Nintendo)

Then they put this shinny.sleek apple toy in the hands of every influencer on the planet. Must have. $500 just makes them want it more since its apple special and the m3 has the "best graphics and ai on the planet". Here's what the bing ai came up with when described.....now I want one.......
Let’s assume the dream part of your scenario comes true.

Then would come the hard reality:
- regular controller (it will have issues) $149.99, Magic Controller $249.99
- proprietary cables, $49.99 each
- quasi-mandatory subscription, $79.99/year for base plan
- optional dock/stand, $179.99
- no physical media option
- social features tied to iPhone/Apple Watch, if you an Android user then you’re out of luck or there’s an extra to pay

Imagine.

I got the new iPhone, my first upgrade in about 6 years. Lets go!!!

I can tell by the new iOS they really are making strides in gaming. Connecting controllers is now more front and center.
Also when I use remote play with my DualSense, it connects by just pressing the PS button. On the other iOS's that would never work for me.
I had to go to the bluetooth devices, forget the device, and pair the controller again.

LordOfChaos

That would be utterly stupid of Nintendo. Selling those rights for less than they have in cash on hand and enabling a monster that would eat their market.

Thankfully, Nintendo know that.

Honestly why would I ever play Nintendo games on an 8 year old underclocked Tegra X1 if I could run it native on M3

Imagine an M3 based Switch though...Drool

Yeah, no.
When apple used intel you could directly compare things. Apple was twice or sometimes even three times more expensive for the same part than just buying it from newegg for your PC.
I remember back then when the pundits were saying Macs could decrease in price due to switch to intel…YEAH RIGHT!!! 🤣🤪

Last edited:

Tams

Honestly why would I ever play Nintendo games on an 8 year old underclocked Tegra X1 if I could run it native on M3

Imagine an M3 based Switch though...Drool

Because Nintendo are only ever going to release their main games on their own hardware, where they can decide what 'gimmicks' they want and guarantee all customers have them.

You could just emulate them if you care that much, but that's too much for the 'It Just Works™️', 'Magic™️', Kool-Aid drinkers.

LordOfChaos

Because Nintendo are only ever going to release their main games on their own hardware, where they can decide what 'gimmicks' they want and guarantee all customers have them.

You could just emulate them if you care that much, but that's too much for the 'It Just Works™️', 'Magic™️', Kool-Aid drinkers.

I was replying to you replying to the idea of Apple paying Nintendo to crossport to native Apple Silicon lol

Yeah, no.
When apple used intel you could directly compare things. Apple was twice or sometimes even three times more expensive for the same part than just buying it from newegg for your PC.
I was mainly referencing how everybody continues to suck off Nvidia despite them price gouging more then Apple has in the same time period not as much as the pc space as a whole.

KellyNole

I was mainly referencing how everybody continues to suck off Nvidia despite them price gouging more then Apple has in the same time period not as much as the pc space as a whole.

Another issue is with AI taking off, Nvidia looks to be moving their focus to that. There is way more money in AI and gaming is becoming a second thought. We need more competition and AMD and Intel have not provided that. Apple possibly can. If M version chips in Mac minis or Mac book pros can hit similar performance as the mid range to lower Nvidia cards could force Nvidia to change things.

Good, about time they stopped being stupid. Losing out on billions. That silicon tech is amazing.

Hopefully they make PC gaming more simple.
Pricing and all the typical Apple bullshit aside: Imagine a Mac/"PC"-Gaming storefront made by them, as a competitor to Steam. It could just be some addition to their existing App Store or whatever, but the ease of use and quality of life stuff could be something else.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Apple already, in terms of revenue and users, has the biggest game store. They are just extending it with more powerful hardware and APIs/tools that let devs port over their games to the devices easier. If you can run Village on an iPhone I don't think it is a stretch to run it on every device. They don't need to release a console, just keep doing this. I could be wrong, maybe they announce Pippin 2 tomorrow, but I'd be surprised.

I mean yeah but almost all of these new ARM chips come with a dedicated gpu and you're assumed to use that.

When will we see these on desktops too? News is regarding laptops and NUC but never the full atx cases.
Apple has one full desktop, the Mac Pro, and it is also entirely unnecessary because it uses the same CPU as the Mac Studio and does NOT support external GPUs. I don't know who is buying the Mac Pro because honestly I think for 99% of use cases it makes more sense to get the Studio. Maybe they will fix this for a later revision, I dunno, but Apple's not in the business of selling towers. Their normal cadence is to release the Mx for laptops, then sped-up/doubled/quad versions for the Mini/Studio/Pro. So they'll do that again.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Lol, who would buy it for 500$ outside of enthusiasts? People buy iPhone because it is a necessity (mobile phone) and Apple TV is relatively cheap (less than 200$).

I had this discussion with somebody the other day and they mentioned a repurposed Apple TV, that would have the hardware to play serious AAA games.

I think if the Mac mini would be a better candidate. But I think the apple premium might put some off….. but then others won’t mind.

Either way….. seems like they are going to take gaming more seriously, going forward. I think some devs and publishers are up for apple getting more serious about it too.

I wonder if they are gonna maybe Aquire a few studios or maybe a publisher?

RickMasters

Apple has one full desktop, the Mac Pro, and it is also entirely unnecessary because it uses the same CPU as the Mac Studio and does NOT support external GPUs. I don't know who is buying the Mac Pro because honestly I think for 99% of use cases it makes more sense to get the Studio. Maybe they will fix this for a later revision, I dunno, but Apple's not in the business of selling towers. Their normal cadence is to release the Mx for laptops, then sped-up/doubled/quad versions for the Mini/Studio/Pro. So they'll do that again.

I’ll tell you why one chooses a max pro over the studio….. recording engineers and record producers. Those extra usb slots, and them PCI slots come in handy for everything from MIDI instruments to pro tools HDX cards.

I find the Mac Pro to just be a more utilitarian work horse than the lil mac studios. They are probably better suited to bedroom producers and content creators. They are pretty Damn weighty! 😅😅😅 wish I ordered the wheels for mine but i think it was £400 option. That’s 400 bucks better spent increasing memory and/or storage.

But speaking of 400 buck, castor wheels….. I wonder how much an apple made controller would cost after apple tax? It’s gotta be Atleast 200 bucks and initialy only comes in white or silver 😅😅😅

T-Cake

I would love to have a Mac mini/PS5 gaming combo but there's still so much work to do on the Mac side. I briefly owned an M1 Mac mini and trying to playing American Truck Simulator was a nightmare. Obviously it was still an Intel+OpenGL binary but could barely run at 720p. :( I'd settle for an M3 Pro Mac mini but would need to see how it goes otherwise it's back to Dell for a 4060Ti.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The generic Apple bashing is always funny to see.

Apples internal tech is very impressive and we’ve seen huge improvements to stuff like gaming since they released their M series chips. Supposedly the porting is also super easy now and while their upscaling tech isn’t on par with Nvidia or even AMD as far as I know it’s still very impressive as their first try.

You can hate Apple all you want and worship your pc gods (who also practice the same pricing bullshit you hate Apple for) but it’s still impressive all the same and will only improve from here especially since they seem to have a focus on it.

It’s the same thing with Intel GPUs. People shit on them constantly but as a first gen product is super impressive and one of the best values for budget builds.

Everybody should always want competition.
Competition is typically good, when it enhances quality or lowers prices. I’m not sure that will be the case in the games industry.

To be clear, I don’t mean Apple is bad, I actually really like their stuff, I just mean it might not be good for too many players to enter the arena.

Until Apple starts pricing their products more sensibly, such that folks don't need to have to sell a kidney to afford one, then I couldn't give a shit.

All the most amazing silicon in the world means nothing when it's locked behind a paywall that requires you to sacrifice your firstborn child in order to gain entry.

The Qualcomm chips would be a bigger deal, as at least there is a shot for them to be applicable in 3rd party more budget-friendly products... and I'd actually love to see this. If Qualcomms' top-end chips get pushed into cheap PC devices, fucking over Intel and AMD, and commoditizing bleeding edge CPU performance, then maybe Apple is forced to try an actual reasonable pricing strategy for their products.

$3000 for ps5 performance? And I get one of those apple stickers for my car? Sign me up.
M2 Max chip is already at around ps5 performance, in theory. I’m curious about the M3, it might be finally the step where people say you can game on Macs.

I have an M2 pro which is around the power of a ps4 pro if I remember correctly and it’s pretty fun to play some steam games on it, as long as it’s not too taxing on the hardware. Love how quiet the MacBook Pro is (literally 0 sound), and the battery lasts very long too.

I don’t like pc laptops so much because even though they can be much more powerful, they’re very loud and the battery lasts max 1 hour when you game on them. Also the screens are vastly inferior unless you buy a really high end laptop.

- social features tied to iPhone/Apple Watch, if you an Android user then you’re out of luck or there’s an extra to pay

Imagine.
You should take a look at the MacBook Pro 16.
Ps5 controller works just fine on it. Cables are usb c and there is actually a full size hdmi port built in.
No subscriptions necessary.
No dock needed anymore because all the important ports are built in (finally)
Yes there’s no physical media option by default, but does anyone really buy cds still in store? (Honest question)

Social features are not tied to anything, you can use whatever you want. Macbooks don’t work the same as iPhones in any way. You can install literally anything on it, as long as it’s compiled for Mac of course.

M2 Max chip is already at around ps5 performance, in theory. I’m curious about the M3, it might be finally the step where people say you can game on Macs.

I have an M2 pro which is around the power of a ps4 pro if I remember correctly and it’s pretty fun to play some steam games on it, as long as it’s not too taxing on the hardware. Love how quiet the MacBook Pro is (literally 0 sound), and the battery lasts very long too.

I don’t like pc laptops so much because even though they can be much more powerful, they’re very loud and the battery lasts max 1 hour when you game on them. Also the screens are vastly inferior unless you buy a really high end laptop.

Err... MacBooks are really high-end laptops. So you should be directly comparing apples to apples.

If I have $3000 to burn on computing hardware, I'd buy a desktop PC that shits on a MacBook and a cheap laptop to address my portable computing hardware needs (and I'd probably still have change left-over to spend on games---games that actually run on my hardware).

Apple sells off brand name not software. Qualcomm ain't doing shit to them. The only thing Qualcomm is doing by this is bringing the apple tier ARM performance to the masses.

When you eliminate the clear advantages of a brand, eventually the unwashed masses will move on. And all Apple will be left with is their die-hard, cult-like fanboys.

Brand strength is not some perpetually immutable quantity.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

$3000 for ps5 performance? And I get one of those apple stickers for my car? Sign me up.

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A PS5 also can't do a lot of what you can do on macOS. For a lot of video editing and sound work it's actually extremely competitive and at much lower power use and higher battery life. If someone wants to be able to game on that power on the side besides the main point of using it, what's the problem and what's hard to understand with people here?

Confused Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A PS5 also can't do a lot of what you can do on macOS. For a lot of video editing and sound work it's actually extremely competitive and at much lower power use and higher battery life. If someone wants to be able to game on that power on the side besides the main point of using it, what's the problem and what's hard to understand with people here?
People in the market for a gaming device only are not going to spend $3000 on a device that does everything other than gaming really well and barely offers any games to play.

Unless you think that every gamer globally also does recreational video editing, then your comment is asinine at best.

LordOfChaos

People in the market for a gaming device only are not going to spend $3000 on a device that does everything other than gaming really well and barely offers any games to play.

Unless you think that every gamer globally also does recreational video editing, then your comment is asinine at best.

It's not for people in the market for a gaming-only device, that's the obvious point. Video editing is just one example. Pot and kettle with the asinine comment.

If you already need one for any other purpose, what's wrong with wanting to use its power for gaming as a secondary benefit, why does this concept get so many panties in a twist?

Last edited:
This is a funny thread right here
Explain please. I'm sure you have great reasons.
Until Apple starts pricing their products more sensibly, such that folks don't need to have to sell a kidney to afford one, then I couldn't give a shit.

All the most amazing silicon in the world means nothing when it's locked behind a paywall that requires you to sacrifice your firstborn child in order to gain entry.
They aren't even overpriced anymore or at least not nearly as much. The closest equivalent in terms of build quality and specs would be a Surface. Surface laptop starts at the same $999 as the MacBook Air. I believe the Dell XPS also starts at basically the same price unless it's changed recently.

You can absolutely get a laptop for cheaper than a MacBook Air but it won't have the same battery life, display quality, build quality, etc as the MacBook. There are definitely some overpriced products in Apple's lineup but it's not the same industry it was 5-10 years ago.

Personally, I use a MacBook Air for my primary computer. My desktop is simply for games (ITX build w/ a 3600/3060ti) and with the way the GPU market has gone and the state of PC ports I want to use said PC less and less. Even with all of the freedom of the PC space I would love to be able to have a Mac that can also take care of my PC gaming needs. I'm not saying that's what is going to happen but it would be nice.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Everyone focuses on Apple's $2500 laptops and the $400 wheels and shit but the truth is their baseline prices are very reasonable, and they have excellent customer service and support. Of course they try to steer you to higher tiers, but that's just how it is. Most people are not spending that type of money.

Their Studio Display is all the bad Apple stereotypes though.

Last edited:

Comandr

Imagine.
Comments like this really show how far the haters are up their own asses.
You should take a look at the MacBook Pro 16.
Ps5 controller works just fine on it. Cables are usb c and there is actually a full size hdmi port built in.
No subscriptions necessary.
No dock needed anymore because all the important ports are built in (finally)
Yes there’s no physical media option by default, but does anyone really buy cds still in store? (Honest question)

Social features are not tied to anything, you can use whatever you want. Macbooks don’t work the same as iPhones in any way. You can install literally anything on it, as long as it’s compiled for Mac of course.
Thank god some people are here to shut them the fuck up. Apple isn’t nearly as anti-consumer as people want to believe they are.

I expect very soon we will have an Apple TV device with very good gaming performance. I also think that the starting price of Apple TV has the potential to go down. Apple TV is a gateway to other Apple subscriptions and services like Apple TV+, Apple Fitness, Apple Arcade, etc. They are going to want one of these boxes under every television.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When you eliminate the clear advantages of a brand, eventually the unwashed masses will move on. And all Apple will be left with is their die-hard, cult-like fanboys.

Brand strength is not some perpetually immutable quantity.
The BRAND is the clear advantage Apple has. Everyone knows what Apple is. Their widespread recognizability is what keeps the other superior competitors left in the dark. No one is going to buy a "fairphone" or a "Framework" laptop when they can just buy a Macbook.

Err... MacBooks are really high-end laptops. So you should be directly comparing apples to apples.

If I have $3000 to burn on computing hardware, I'd buy a desktop PC that shits on a MacBook and a cheap laptop to address my portable computing hardware needs (and I'd probably still have change left-over to spend on games---games that actually run on my hardware).
Ok I can buy a high end pc laptop that has the around the same performance but worse battery and screen for like 40K kronor, so that’s like 4000 dollars? Apple is not so expensive in comparison if you really compare the quality/money.

It will not shit on the MacBook for that money even. Yes the graphics are better because video card but everything else is worse. Especially the noise and battery.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Thank god some people are here to shut them the fuck up. Apple isn’t nearly as anti-consumer as people want to believe they are.

I expect very soon we will have an Apple TV device with very good gaming performance. I also think that the starting price of Apple TV has the potential to go down. Apple TV is a gateway to other Apple subscriptions and services like Apple TV+, Apple Fitness, Apple Arcade, etc. They are going to want one of these boxes under every television.
Apple TV is already cheap for an Apple Product. $149 for the premium version (128 GB storage + Ethernet port). I don’t think it’s that crazy to imagine a more powerful gaming-focused model, maybe with a 1-2 generations old M SOC.

Honestly Apple has the tech, money, and brand recognition to dominate gaming if they wanted to. It’s mostly a question of whether they think it’s worth the investment to directly compete against Sony/MS/Steam/Nintendo. So far they’ve been more than happy to have several (highly profitable) devices that can play games but that aren’t game consoles per se. Is it worth it to them to sell a dedicated game system at razor-thin profit margins in an attempt to “out-PlayStation” PlayStation?

ozzrik

Neo Member
I work everyday on a mac (mac studio M2 Ultra atm).
I If I could also play more with it, it would save me from having to buy a PC.
I can dream ^^

Comandr

Apple TV is already cheap for an Apple Product. $149 for the premium version (128 GB storage + Ethernet port). I don’t think it’s that crazy to imagine a more powerful gaming-focused model, maybe with a 1-2 generations old M SOC.

Honestly Apple has the tech, money, and brand recognition to dominate gaming if they wanted to. It’s mostly a question of whether they think it’s worth the investment to directly compete against Sony/MS/Steam/Nintendo. So far they’ve been more than happy to have several (highly profitable) devices that can play games but that aren’t game consoles per se. Is it worth it to them to sell a dedicated game system at razor-thin profit margins in an attempt to “out-PlayStation” PlayStation?
I don’t think it is. But I do think it’s worthwhile to continue courting prolific developers into porting their existing and upcoming games to Apple platforms. While I don’t see them organizing any major exclusives, I do see them continuing to bolster their relationships with developers to continue to pad their library with bigger titles.

Apple has been positioning Apple TV to be the center of the home for years.

It can…
Wirelessly stream content from your devices.
Play games on controllers
Do big screen facetime calls
Act as a smart home hub for all of your connected devices
Connect to all of your home security cameras and alert you in real time if someone is at your door, for instance.
Access all of your favorite streaming services from one centralized app*
Fitness classes with Apple Fitness.

At a starting price of $129, there is a tremendous amount of things the Apple TV can already do compared to other similar products. Continuing to add to that value proposition is something Apple has been chasing across all of their platforms for years.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

Of course not, they love consumers with a big bank account :messenger_beaming:

You can call me a hater when Apple don’t sell a set of wheels for €849, when every basic computer accessory in Apple Stores doesn’t cost at least double what you can find anywhere else for basically the same quality, and when they stop adding the “magic” moniker to pretty daily stuff that they didn’t invent out of thin air.

I’m typing this on an iPad Pro fyi. A trillion dollar company doesn’t need you defending them from a jab on an internet forum, my friend.

TVexperto

"heavy focus on gaming" so some old games will get ported or another horror game? stray is still no on m1 available

Top Bottom