• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scary Fast" Apple Mac event on October 30th to have a heavy focus on gaming

LordOfChaos

Go ahead and and do the typical scoffing and laughing at this, but I'd love to see Apple pull more titles into native mac ports and maybe even some Apple Silicon exclusives, would be even better if they had a fund for those efforts like the TV+ programming budget. No, no one buys a mac exclusively for gaming and shouldn't, but if you already need or want the machine for other work it would be nice to be able to do some better gaming on the side.

The rumor is the event for the first time shifted to a night time reveal to coincide with Japan business time, likely bringing on a Japanese game dev, and Kojima's been on a few times, could also be Capcom as RE is "scary".

Last edited:
Apple Iphone GIF by Lukesistegià

Comandr

Apple used the same “scary fast” tagline to introduce M1 and it send shockwaves through the industry. That was a long time ago. The world has shifted more towards these APUs. Even Qualcomm is now entering the arena. Apple has some of the best engineers in the world, and with control over both the hardware and software, they are going to squeeze every god damn drop of performance out of whatever comes next with absolutely bleeding edge tech.

With. That. Said. … I would be very surprised to see anything really crazy here. M1 was revolutionary at the time. M2 was.. an improvement but nothing quite like the leap we saw from intel to their own chip. Perhaps Apple was really waiting for 3nm to showcase what the next generation series of chips could bring.

Should be an interesting show.

gendo-ikari-evangelion.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There's no exclusives right now...And many ports are afterthoughts.

I'd like to see that change though
I mean sure but if you're (reasonably) deducting that we shouldn't buy a Mac for gaming purposes.... you probably shouldn't be advocating for Apple Silicon exclusives as that's what happens when Mac gets their own games. it's happening with consoles already lol

LordOfChaos

Apple used the same “scary fast” tagline to introduce M1 and it send shockwaves through the industry. That was a long time ago. The world has shifted more towards these APUs. Even Qualcomm is now entering the arena. Apple has some of the best engineers in the world, and with control over both the hardware and software, they are going to squeeze every god damn drop of performance out of whatever comes next with absolutely bleeding edge tech.

With. That. Said. … I would be very surprised to see anything really crazy here. M1 was revolutionary at the time. M2 was.. an improvement but nothing quite like the leap we saw from intel to their own chip. Perhaps Apple was really waiting for 3nm to showcase what the next generation series of chips could bring.

Yeah M1 caught everyone with their pants down, but it's not quite the same state of things now, you can beat M anything on single or multicore including in laptop parts from Intel or AMD, the impressive bit is still how little power they use but Qualcomm and Nvidia are ready to throw down there too soon.

With the slogan focusing on speed, I wonder if they can throw down and regain and retain their edge including vs the new ARM entries

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
my question is how these x86 to arm translation layers work, and when we will get a revolution in them that will ensure 90-99% compatibility? That's the real thing here

Also, why can't we just have ARM cpus and use regular dedicarted PCIE GPus like with X86?

Apple going in on gaming with Apple Silicon, someone tell Qualcomm and Nvidia if they are going to make a move for Windows on ARM they need to go fast because x86 is going to be dead before 2030

LordOfChaos

my question is how these x86 to arm translation layers work, and when we will get a revolution in them that will ensure 90-99% compatibility? That's the real thing here

Also, why can't we just have ARM cpus and use regular dedicarted PCIE GPus like with X86?

From what I've seen game porting tookkit wrappers on M2 is sometimes outperforming Proton on Steam Deck, despite also translating an ISA. The M chips CPUs are fast, enen with CPU overhead from translating it's like the last x86 Intel MBP 13 CPUs in performance or something

Last edited:

Mercador

"Breakout, Super Breakout, Photoshop"
For those who are too young to get that reference :

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Apple going in on gaming with Apple Silicon, someone tell Qualcomm and Nvidia if they are going to make a move for Windows on ARM they need to go fast because x86 is going to be dead before 2030

They are

That marks just about everyone coming for it lol. It's going to be way more interesting having a multi way comparison when everyone is doing ARM chips than comparing the old duopoly for the last decades. Intel wants to be the fab for many of these chips, but they should have an ARM Windows chip effort too.

supernova8

Banned
Go ahead and and do the typical scoffing and laughing at this, but I'd love to see Apple pull more titles into native mac ports and maybe even some Apple Silicon exclusives, would be even better if they had a fund for those efforts like the TV+ programming budget. No, no one buys a mac exclusively for gaming and shouldn't, but if you already need or want the machine for other work it would be nice to be able to do some better gaming on the side.

The rumor is the event for the first time shifted to a night time reveal to coincide with Japan business time, likely bringing on a Japanese game dev, and Kojima's been on a few times, could also be Capcom as RE is "scary".

Not because it's suggesting something about gaming but because the vast majority of the typical Apple rumor mill bullshit youtube/blog sphere literally a few days ago was banging on about how there wouldn't be any new Macs at all, and that we would only see new iPads.

Now there's a 180 and suddenly these people (including macrumors) claim to know everything that's coming. Even Ming Chi Kuo and Mark Gurman were split on this event so Mr Macrumors has no chance IMO.

So yeah forgive me for calling bullshit.

Besides, the whole thing about Japan business time makes no sense since it's probably a pre-recorded event, whatever video message (if any) comes from Kojima or someone else would be added in with the edit. The biggest target audience for any major Japanese game (especially RE) would be the Western audience anyway. I just don't see the connection with Japan business time at all.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

I think Mark Gurman and/or Ming Chi Kuo claimed that sales for the M2 Macbooks haven't been that good, probably because anyone who bought an M1 device saw no need to upgrade. The question I have is how much more performance they're really willing to give us without jacking the prices like crazy.

I've never bothered with the Resident Evil stuff.
But in the past month I've bought a Resident evil game on my Iphone and on a Quest 3.
I went from not giving an F about Resident Evil to buying it on 2 devices. Arm is already doing wonders.

Crayon

Last thing we need is another tech monster. I'm always interested in whatever they are doing next, though. I would really like to see windows games running easily on macs with arm apu's. I don't use macs but they are nice. A cool running arm chip might make a good laptop for gaming.

I don't know much about the apple's rosetta but i'm sure it will be proprietary. We need an open source arm translator.

Apple tv with m3 for $499.......hmm......pure speculation but wouldn't this be fun??
Lol, who would buy it for 500$ outside of enthusiasts? People buy iPhone because it is a necessity (mobile phone) and Apple TV is relatively cheap (less than 200$).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Lol, who would buy it for 500$ outside of enthusiasts? People buy iPhone because it is a necessity (mobile phone) and Apple TV is relatively cheap (less than 200$).

Never underestimate the "apple appeal". Image a world where this apple tv device (ok lets call ...the Apple game console.
Imagine they did this:

Say the m3 is a monster, and it's 10.teraflops, or they even put 2 together (ultra) for 20.

They throw mad money at ea, ubisoft, square, and a bunch of other developers to port games. Then they sign a deal with Nintendo for console versions of thier games for 5-10 billion. (Portable rights stay with Nintendo)

Then they put this shinny.sleek apple toy in the hands of every influencer on the planet. Must have. $500 just makes them want it more since its apple special and the m3 has the "best graphics and ai on the planet". Here's what the bing ai came up with when described.....now I want one.......

upLy6Rl.jpg

Last edited:
Never underestimate the "apple appeal". Image a world where this apple tv device (ok lets call ...the Apple game console.
Imagine they did this:

Say the m3 is a monster, and it's 10.teraflops, or they even put 2 together (ultra) for 20.

They throw mad money at ea, ubisoft, square, and a bunch of other developers to port games. Then they sign a deal with Nintendo for console versions of thier games for 5-10 billion. (Portable rights stay with Nintendo)

Then they put this shinny.sleek apple toy in the hands of every influencer on the planet. Must have. $500 just makes them want it more since its apple special and the m3 has the "best graphics and ai on the planet". Here's what the bing ai came up with when described.....now I want one.......
So basically a bunch of dream scenarios....We saw with Google, that porting the games is quite expensive and Steam has to literally use Proton to run the games as devs are not willing to develop games from scratch. So Apple has to offer something like this and port the games themselves, otherwise nobody would do that. We have a couple of games on MacOS, but that's basically it. And that's without the history of compatibility that Windows have.

Also LoL at "signing a deal with Nintendo".

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
I think that apple TV for 299$ is the sweet spot. A device which will be used for streaming, gaming, music and other Apple ecosystem goodies.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m not sure we should be making threads with definitive headlines, based on articles with speculative headlines.

OP made it look like Apple had hinted or signaled a heavy gaming focused conference.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What do you mean entry? Apple makes more than Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo combined - just from gaming.
Their serious entry into the AAA console gaming space with games like RE7, RE4, AC Mirage, Death Stranding, etc. They haven't done this before at this scale.

Del_X

This chip should leapfrog Qualcomm’s announcement from yesterday.

Also, Apple Arcade just got a price hike to $10 - I’m hoping they include a few AAA ports to Mac as part of it.

Hudo

I mean, I am interested in Apple's Proton fork and what they'll do with that. If they get their gaming stuff on the same level as Valve has with Linux, it would be cool.

I have switched to Linux since the beginning this year for gaming and haven't missed anything so far. Everything works. And old-ass games like Tiberian Sun work via Lutris quite well.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It is laptops so don’t get too excited. It will be fast for thin laptops though and big step for apple to get back into gaming since the apple 2 lol.

Zathalus

The end is near for consoles and PC, once apple gets involved they will all fall behind.
Consoles have the appeal of being cheap, something Apple has no interest in. PC has the appeal of being highly customizable and fully open, something Apple has no interest in. Apple cant compete with AMD for price and cant beat Nvidia when it comes to feature and performance.

They will continue to dominate in mobile however.

Gaming in Mac? Maybe but I guess there is some benefits to some. I think I've only done Diablo 3 and and some sim game. I use a ps or xbox when I want to game and it's from a couch.

My apple stuff is so overpowered already for what I need it to do these days it should last 7+ years.

Interfectum

If you've been using Apple products lately you can see aspects of gaming seeping in everywhere. From controller support, to a renewed interest in Game Center (activity feeds, global % completes on achievements, etc), Apple Arcade starting to impress, Game Mode on MacOS, etc. Then there are is the new iPhone 15 Pro Max chips that feature upscaling and RT... no doubt shit that will be in the new M3 chip.

Whether any of these initiatives will lure hardcore gamers remains to be seen but there is no doubt there are engineers at Apple interesting in pushing this shit. Just gotta convince the money guys it's worth the time... and perhaps that Acti-Blizz purchase was the push Tim Apple needed to get fully into gaming.

Last edited:
The generic Apple bashing is always funny to see.

Apples internal tech is very impressive and we’ve seen huge improvements to stuff like gaming since they released their M series chips. Supposedly the porting is also super easy now and while their upscaling tech isn’t on par with Nvidia or even AMD as far as I know it’s still very impressive as their first try.

You can hate Apple all you want and worship your pc gods (who also practice the same pricing bullshit you hate Apple for) but it’s still impressive all the same and will only improve from here especially since they seem to have a focus on it.

It’s the same thing with Intel GPUs. People shit on them constantly but as a first gen product is super impressive and one of the best values for budget builds.

Everybody should always want competition.

ReBurn

Gold Member

You probably could have ARM CPU's and discreet GPU's. Apple supports PCIe in their super pricey top of the line Mac Pro workstations. Not a leap to see how it could support a GPU.

In the context of how Apple creates their devices having both be on the same die is at least partly a cost and manufacturing efficiency decision. In general there are other efficiencies, such as simpler cooling. The loss of modularity is definitely a downside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom