• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scary Fast" Apple Mac event on October 30th to have a heavy focus on gaming

ThisIsMyDog

"

heavy focus on gaming"​

so-that-was-a-fucking-lie-v0-wu4duw9m1oc81.jpg

bitbydeath

Bruh what are you talking about, being "bigger" isn't enough. 2.5T market cap for MS vs 2.6, and it's cash or debt that would buy it, the cashflow or money in the bank isn't remotely enough to buy Microsoft's public float. This is 100% wrong.

That’s not how acquisitions work, it’s not just about cash.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am curious how much it will cost. I am absolutely picking up the macbook pro M3 Max edition sometime next year!

LordOfChaos

That’s not how acquisitions work, it’s not just about cash.

Enlighten us then, because I already said that too. It's debt, or cash, or convertible notes, or paying out in your own shares in part, but a company can't absorb a company of its own market cap. Merger maybe, buy no.

You went with "Apple is bigger" when they're almost the same size, sort of feels like you didn't know that and don't want to say so lol.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
For what I found on the prices:
the Macbook starts at 1600 for the M3 14 inch (400 dollars cheaper than the previous model)
1999 for 16 Inch, and 2499 for the M3Pro.
M3max is estimated around ~3000-3500 then?

Not too bad.

The Hardware Ray-Tracing and Meshers are great new features to improve performance in games - but we need to see more games. As much as I would love to just game on my Mac over Linux, there just are far too many games that I would miss out on. However for work and research, still the best.

LordOfChaos

the Macbook starts at 1600 for the M3 14 inch (400 dollars cheaper than the previous model)

Not too bad.

The Hardware Ray-Tracing and Meshers are great new features to improve performance in games - but we need to see more games. As much as I would love to just game on my Mac over Linux, there just are far too many games that I would miss out on. However for work and research, still the best.

Well the M3 14" is sort of the replacement for the 13" with M2, which was 1299, so the price meets in the middle. Still you get a much better display, so that seems like a good model for those who want real HDR but not need more powerful chips

Not too bad.

Doesn't Proton/WINE work pretty good these days? Valve has almost all the Steam library of games working on Steam Deck. How well it performs compared to native x86/Windows with a dedicated Nvidia GPU is the question here, I'm interested in seeing how the new M3 GPU performs running games this way.

LordOfChaos

Doesn't Proton/WINE work pretty good these days? Valve has almost all the Steam library of games working on Steam Deck. How well it performs compared to native x86/Windows with a dedicated Nvidia GPU is the question here, I'm interested in seeing how the new M3 GPU performs running games this way.

I was seeing the M2 with Game Porting Toolkit wrappers performing as well and often better than the Steam Deck. So it's sort of viable, but I would have liked to see a big monetary push for native games.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They showed BG3 running on one of the units and it looked smooth as well.

Will snag an upgrade for sure. The M3 max looks amazing and stoked for Space Black ;)

bitbydeath

Enlighten us then, because I already said that too. It's debt, or cash, or convertible notes, or paying out in your own shares in part, but a company can't absorb a company of its own market cap. Merger maybe, buy no.

You went with "Apple is bigger" when they're almost the same size, sort of feels like you didn't know that and don't want to say so lol.
Apple is bigger overall, you expanded on the rest above now. Go look at the purchase of Zynga by Take-Two for reference.

Comandr

M3 looks like a nice improvement over the previous generation. I noticed how they chose to frame the narrative as a big jump from M1. This whole event seemed to be focused on people with older Intel Macs or M1 series Macs, incentivizing the upgrade, and at that, heavily skewed towards those with professional use cases. I mean, admittedly, the overwhelming majority of the information was about the macbook PRO. Wake me up when they do a macbook air event.

native is ideal.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Is proton mac compatible?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Doesn't Proton/WINE work pretty good these days?
Proton yes, but Wine for windows apps in general is still 50/50. I mainly use Windows for audio and music production, and wine support on that is quite mediocre. However on Mac most audio related tools have Mac ports anyways. You could have better (or worse) luck with what you do however

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Lol you do have to jump to M3 Pro to get the Space Black, not the new base M3 model. I guess there's still a way to tell people you got "the real pro not the fake pro guys"

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They showed BG3 running on one of the units and it looked smooth as well.

Will snag an upgrade for sure. The M3 max looks amazing and stoked for Space Black ;)
Runs smooth as hell in my m2 pro as well. No reason to updated to m3 unless they doubled down on gaming my rending is fine for 99% of my use and they raised the pro max prices in a recession lol…

Tams

Lol you do have to jump to M3 Pro to get the Space Black, not the new base M3 model. I guess there's still a way to tell people you got "the real pro not the fake pro guys"

In the UK at least, the M3 version is simple not worth it compared to the M3 Pro. Only £400 more and you get a decent amount of RAM too.

Though you can't upgrade the storage after, lol. Apple life, eh.

LordOfChaos

Apple is bigger overall, you expanded on the rest above now. Go look at the purchase of Zynga by Take-Two for reference.

So when their caps flipflop as they frequently do, Microsoft can buy Apple

It only takes a .1T difference per you

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Not too bad.

the 1999 has 18 gigs of ram now instead of 16. its an odd number for sure but its easily a far better deal than the last MBpro at the same price.
I am just curious why Apple still thinks it's ok to make pro with only 8 gigs of ram.

Dream-Knife

Banned
the 1999 has 18 gigs of ram now instead of 16. its an odd number for sure but its easily a far better deal than the last MBpro at the same price.
I am just curious why Apple still thinks it's ok to make pro with only 8 gigs of ram.
Keep in mind that's shared memory too.

Worse than a $500 console.

Cyberpunkd

Apple base models are almost always the worst deal possible - little HD space, little memory, etc. I bought M1 Pro 14” because for the same configuration in MacBook Air would end up paying more. That applies to a lot of “base models” from various companies, these are the ones having the best profit margins.

Holy shit, I'm getting the black one! 🖤😍

I was just about to pull the trigger on the M2 version, phew! I just need to wait and see some benchmarks for the SSD to see if they gimped the speed on the 512gb version or not this time as well.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

I clicked on this and nearly shit myself seeing the price. It wasn't until I went back after closing the tab and realized "Oh, that was Canada pricing. Not Freedom Dollars".

StereoVsn

Well the M3 14" is sort of the replacement for the 13" with M2, which was 1299, so the price meets in the middle. Still you get a much better display, so that seems like a good model for those who want real HDR but not need more powerful chips
That 14” starts with lower non Pro processor and 8GB of RAM. So you can expect a minimum of $200 to go to 16gb.

supernova8

Banned
OK I'm gonna go through all of the "news" from that absolute bullshit site MacRumors and demonstrate how they (via quoting other bullshitters) got almost everything wrong up until it was practically impossible to get it wrong anymore:

September 28 2023: Will There Be An Apple Event in October?
Earlier this month, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman told The MacRumors Show hosts that he does not expect Apple to hold an October event [WRONG]because the company does not have enough new products and features to justify it. Major new ‌iPad‌ and Mac launches are not expected until 2024, suggesting it will be a slow holiday season for Apple outside of the ‌iPhone‌ and Apple Watch.

There is a possibility that we will see at least one iPad unveiled in October [WRONG], perhaps an iPad mini, an iPad Air, or an 11th-generation low-cost ‌iPad‌, but these will be minor refreshes. iPad Pro models with OLED displays and M3 chips won't be coming until 2024.

We could also see at least one Mac with a new M3 chip, and this could be a MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, a Mac mini, or a 24-inch iMac [lol so basically Apple might release M3 and it might come to.... *lists every single Mac product wow genius guys*]. Gurman said that if these products do come out in 2023, Apple is likely to unveil them via press release [WRONG]rather than with an event.

While Gurman believes M3 Macs could come out in 2023, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said recently that Apple will not launch new MacBook models with M3 processors before the end of the year [WRONG], which may narrow down any M3 Mac releases to desktop models.

Apple did not hold an October event last year, but there were October events in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020, and 2021.

October 24 2023: Apple Announces October Event for Macs: 'Scary Fast'
Mac rumors have been confusing in recent months, but there are several possibilities. We could see a refreshed version of the 24-inch iMac, as that machine is still using an M1 Apple silicon chip [low hanging fruit, slow clap]. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said not to expect a MacBook Air refresh, but the 13-inch MacBook Pro [WRONG], 14-inch MacBook Pro, and 16-inch MacBook Pro could potentially get new chips.

It is not clear if the refresh will focus on new M3-series chips, but depending on what's being overhauled, we could see the ‌iMac‌ and the MacBook Pro models adopting the 3-nanometer M3 chip lineup.
Clearly just pissing in the wind here

October 25 2023: Next-Generation iMac Chip, Stand, and Color Details Rumored Ahead of Apple Event
Apple's upcoming iMac refresh will feature a new chip, an internally redesigned stand, and a similar array of color options to the current model, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. OK this seems to be correct, not sure about the redesigned stand though.

October 25 2023: Apple Event Next Week Likely to Emphasize High-End Gaming on Mac
Apple yesterday announced that it will be holding an online event on Monday, October 30 starting at 5 p.m. Pacific Time, and there are several reasons to believe that gaming on the Mac will be one of the major focuses of the event. [WRONG] as we now know, there was no heavy emphasis on gaming. There was a passing mention of ray tracing but that was it.

October 27 2023: New Magic Mouse With USB-C Port Expected at Apple Event Next Week
Apple will likely announce new versions of its Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad for the Mac at its "Scary Fast" event on Monday, October 30, according to a report today from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The updated accessories are expected to be equipped with USB-C ports instead of Lightning ports for charging. [hahaha WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG]

October 27 2023: What to Expect From the 'Scary Fast' October 30 Apple Event
14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro

Apple is expected to update the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with its next-generation M3 Pro and M3 Max chips [no mention of the base of M3 chip, so this is low-hanging fruit], which will come less than a year after Apple debuted the ‌M2‌ Pro and ‌M2‌ Max chips.

The base M3 Pro chip will have a 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU [WRONG - it's 11-core CPU and 14-core CPU base], with upgrades available for a 14-core CPU and 20-core GPU [WRONG - max upgrade for the Pro chip is actually 12-core CPU and 18-core GPU]. The base M3 Max chip will have a 16-core GPU and a 32-core GPU [WRONG, base M3 Max is 14-CPU, 30-GPU], with an option to upgrade to a 40-core GPU [CORRECT but they got everything else wrong].

Upgrading from ‌M2‌ Pro/‌M2‌ Max to M3 Pro and M3 Max should bring notable performance improvements [that's a play-it-safe non-statement], especially when it comes to the GPU and the ability for the MacBook Pro to run high-end games [there was hardly any mention of games so I'll say WRONG here].

There was a recent rumor from DigiTimes suggesting that the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will get more power-efficient miniLED displays [WRONG, no mention of this], so there is a chance that we'll also see tweaks to display performance.

If we get the M3 upgrade and a new miniLED display, the MacBook Pro models could have significant improvements to their battery life [WRONG, basically same battery life as M2 Macbook Pros]. Aside from the new chips and the possible new display, we are not expecting any other design changes for the MacBook Pro models.

iMac
Apple hasn't refreshed the 24-inch iMac since 2021, and it's still using the M1 chip. The ‌iMac‌ is expected to get an update at Apple's event, and the new version will use the M3 chip, the same chip that will be in the 13-inch MacBook Pro. I was going to say "CORRECT" but the mention of the 13-inch Macbook Pro, which didn't show up, demonstrates at this whole thing was a guess anyway.

So there we have it, they don't fuckin know anything.
What exactly did Mark Gurman get right (which couldn't have possibly been a guess) that led to him being quoted so often?

Last edited:
Top Bottom