• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scary Fast" Apple Mac event on October 30th to have a heavy focus on gaming

supernova8

Banned
so what was that japanese publisher? another faker rumor?
It's all fake lol.

Basically one person says something that is just an educated guess at best, and then the entire Apple-centric youtube rumor mill runs with it. They basically make money off youtube ad revenue via spreading absolute bollocks. It's funny but I suppose it's entertainment in a sense.

magnumpy

Apple is bit late to the gaming... er game but they would be a welcome addition IMO. assuming more competition=more betterer. I'd like to see what they can do!

hopefully though this doesn't lead to >$10,000 gaming machines :eek:

hang on there was already the Apple Pippin... well hopefully they do a better job this time around...

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
hopefully though this doesn't lead to >$10,000 gaming machines :eek:

I wonder how they plan to do gaming, without bringing the rest of their pricing into question - as such, I don't see gamers dropping a massive premium if they don't get the benefit of it - some people might like the Mac prestige, but most gamers are more price/performance conscious. I also don't see Apple selling machines that are more reasonably priced but undercut their other products' price/performance relationship.

As such, I assume the right thing for them to do is probably deliver competent performance on their machines and say "Mac does games too!" Rather than attempting to convince people to buy a Mac to play games.

I would imagine they see themselves as being able to sell more software to their existing users and perhaps convince some people trying to decide which machine to get next.

It could certainly be interesting to see what happens if they are prepared to gamble however. The least interesting thing they could do IMO would be to make a prohibitively expensive gaming computer and have it be rejected by all but the most moneyed.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
That 14” starts with lower non Pro processor and 8GB of RAM. So you can expect a minimum of $200 to go to 16gb.
Plus the fact that they made the base model 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD instead of 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD says to me that they know exactly what they're doing. They know hardly anyone in the market for a Macbook Pro is realistically going to go with 8GB RAM. It's just there so they can show the $1599 "lowest price" and make people think they're doing us a favor. Then, surprise surprise, as soon as you upgrade to 16GB on the base M3 Macbook Pro you're miraculously close to the M3 Pro territory.... ah why not just pay a bit extra and get M3 Pro, with better CPU, GPU, along with the extra port for another display.

The last time they gave us a good deal was the M1 Macbook Air but they certainly won't make that mistake again huh.

I see straight through it.

Anyone who only needs 8GB probably doesn't need a Macbook Pro in the first place.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I wonder how they plan to do gaming, without bringing the rest of their pricing into question - as such, I don't see gamers dropping a massive premium if they don't get the benefit of it - some people might like the Mac prestige, but most gamers are more price/performance conscious. I also don't see Apple selling machines that are more reasonably priced but undercut their other products' price/performance relationship.

As such, I assume the right thing for them to do is probably deliver competent performance on their machines and say "Mac does games too!" Rather than attempting to convince people to buy a Mac to play games.

I would imagine they see themselves as being able to sell more software to their existing users and perhaps convince some people trying to decide which machine to get next.

It could certainly be interesting to see what happens if they are prepared to gamble however. The least interesting thing they could do IMO would be to make a prohibitively expensive gaming computer and have it be rejected by all but the most moneyed.
The only thing I can imagine them doing that would be remotely interesting is making it possible to play video games at reasonable settings unplugged for more than like an hour (even like 4 hours would be awesome). That's probably the big Achilles heel of modern gaming laptops. Sure they are very powerful but they die pretty quickly as soon as you're not tethered to the wall.

If they could even pull that off while also keeping the laptop relatively cool and quiet, that would be a big win. You're right that they would charge a massive premium for it, but I think some would be willing to pay for that "hey your ASUS ROG XYZ doesn't do this though" feature.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Do they really sell computers with 8 GB of RAM for $1600? Lmao.
They charge an extra $200 per 8GB ram and $200 for an extra 512GB storage
jefBFxC.png

M3 looks like a nice improvement over the previous generation. I noticed how they chose to frame the narrative as a big jump from M1. This whole event seemed to be focused on people with older Intel Macs or M1 series Macs, incentivizing the upgrade, and at that, heavily skewed towards those with professional use cases. I mean, admittedly, the overwhelming majority of the information was about the macbook PRO. Wake me up when they do a macbook air event.

Well the CPU performance jump is not that great from M2. GPU has more modern features and more performance.

Apples performance claims are quite vague, and mostly because of the new GPU and smaller node.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
For 99% of people M1 is already too fast. I know it is for me.
I've got an M1 Max and it is great, on one of the programs I use for work I would welcome it being faster, but I suspect that's the devs, not the hardware at fault since everything else is amazing.

Tams

They really don't care about gaming on Macs.

Gamers will absolutely want more than 8GB of unified memory, and even the 18GB isn't enough for more than mid-level gaming. Then there's the storage. 512GB is peanuts in 2023, especially if you're talking about high-end gaming.

Gaming laptops and handhelds can get around this because you can upgrade the RAM and storage. Good luck doing that with a Mac (and likely the Qualcomm devices coming next year).

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Me: I hope Apple moves to 192 bit busses in M3

Apple: We here you, here's 192 bit in M3....Pro....

Me: Nooooo!

M3 Pro got a few cuts. I wonder if the binned chip is even faster than the full core count bin of M2 Pro. It also only has 1 more P-core than base M3, in that weird 11 core config which is likely a bin with a disabled P-core on 6+6. But then again once you get 16GB in the base M3, jumping to the M3 Pro is right there.

smbu2000

Plus the fact that they made the base model 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD instead of 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD says to me that they know exactly what they're doing. They know hardly anyone in the market for a Macbook Pro is realistically going to go with 8GB RAM. It's just there so they can show the $1599 "lowest price" and make people think they're doing us a favor. Then, surprise surprise, as soon as you upgrade to 16GB on the base M3 Macbook Pro you're miraculously close to the M3 Pro territory.... ah why not just pay a bit extra and get M3 Pro, with better CPU, GPU, along with the extra port for another display.

The last time they gave us a good deal was the M1 Macbook Air but they certainly won't make that mistake again huh.

Anyone who only needs 8GB probably doesn't need a Macbook Pro in the first place.
Well the previous M2 MBP was only 256GB at the $1299 price (+$200 for 512GB) so it could be argued that the new model is only $100 more compared to the previous MBP with a lot more going for it compared to the previous touchbar 13” MBP.

Still lame that it only ships with 8GB though. Definitely seems like a push to get you to go with the M3 Pro version. For 8GB only model it would be better to go with an Air instead.

supernova8

Banned
Well the previous M2 MBP was only 256GB at the $1299 price (+$200 for 512GB) so it could be argued that the new model is only $100 more compared to the previous MBP with a lot more going for it compared to the previous touchbar 13” MBP.

Still lame that it only ships with 8GB though. Definitely seems like a push to get you to go with the M3 Pro version. For 8GB only model it would be better to go with an Air instead.
It'd only be $100 more if it were $1399 :D

Yeah I know what you're saying, I guess it's just annoying that they force the 512GB. I'd rather they offered it as 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD standard so that I could just upgrade the RAM to 16GB, but of course we can't do thaaaat because then there's too large a price gap with the M3 Pro MBP, which (most likely) a lot of people don't need.

Kinda reminds me of a lot of the suit shops here in Japan. They ostensibly show a "from XX price" in the window but when you go inside to see what they have, that price only applies to the absolute garbage tier suits that nobody would ever want to buy or wear.

After (not) much deliberation, think I'll just pick up an M1 Macbook Pro 14 inch as originally planned. Silly me for expecting them to offer anything genuinely good price/performance-wise.

Frwrd

Your avatar matches perfectly with this comment right here. Well said, sir!

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wouldn't buy it specifically for gaming, but I'm buying a 14 inch M3 Pro next year. MacBook Pro laptops have been the best laptops for software engineering that I have ever used. Large system builds were faster for me on a MacBook Pro even on Intel Macs than a similarly specced Dell machine running Windows or Linux. After Apple Silicon what was 20% to 30% faster became 50% to 60% faster. You can definitely tell when a machine is built for a purpose and not just a set of cobbled together components that simply meet a specification.

That said, don't buy a Mac for gaming. It's a bad idea.

smbu2000

It'd only be $100 more if it were $1399 :D

Yeah I know what you're saying, I guess it's just annoying that they force the 512GB. I'd rather they offered it as 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD standard so that I could just upgrade the RAM to 16GB, but of course we can't do thaaaat because then there's too large a price gap with the M3 Pro MBP, which (most likely) a lot of people don't need.

Kinda reminds me of a lot of the suit shops here in Japan. They ostensibly show a "from XX price" in the window but when you go inside to see what they have, that price only applies to the absolute garbage tier suits that nobody would ever want to buy or wear.

After (not) much deliberation, think I'll just pick up an M1 Macbook Pro 14 inch as originally planned. Silly me for expecting them to offer anything genuinely good price/performance-wise.
Yeah, but I guess they kind of want that minimum price for their “premium” MBP. Like how on the iphone 15 pro max they eliminated the 128GB model and started it at 256GB (with the corresponding price) if you want the larger Max size. 128GB option is still available on the smaller size 15 Pro.

Well now that the M3 versions of the Macbook Pro are being released it should push down the prices on the 14”/16” M2 Macbook Pros (new and used), so you might be able to get one of those at a good price. Just released early this year as well.

K' Dash

Just got a 15" MB Air M2 with 16GB of RAM, so I'm waiting a few years to refresh.

What impresses me the most is that I had a 13" MB Air M1 with 8GB RAM and the thing never felt restrained, I used it for work and college and it never struggled with anything I did on it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I've always been very impressed with the speaker quality in these (basically best of the best), the build quality, and the battery life, but damn do they look boring as hell, especially in the bottom half / keyboard layout. Give me a numpad or some extra buttons or something. And I'm so partial to OLED it's a hard sell to get anything else. So a mild interest, but not for me, too many neat and more interesting choices on the other side of the lake still.

supernova8

Banned
What irritates me more than Apple releasing these bullshit spec laptops is all the Apple fanboy youtube channels that not along ago with their "shopping guides" saying "oh yeah I definitely recommend upgrading to 16GB just to be safe" are now U-turning and saying "oh 8GB is totally fine, stop whining". Fuckin idiots the lot of them.

supernova8

Banned
Best laptop for casual pc user / laptop user.

Feels so premium!
Oh yeah for sure I'm still rocking my 2015 11inch Macbook Air and the battery life still beats my wife's much newer windows laptop.

I know I won't regret splurging on a Macbook Pro, I just don't wanna get shafted more than I absolutely need to (plus my girlfriend at the time in 2015 had a student discount so I got it cheaper... ah those were the days...)

Mattyp

Gold Member
Used to run a carbon X1, but ever since they moved to the M chips I converted. All it’s used for is emails and work, but I like to do a lot of that on long haul flights.

Now never having to untangle a god awful mess charger and plug it in after an hour in the air is fucking bliss, laptop into water bladder section of my back pack, kindle, Bose, and I’m set for the next 15 hours.

Emedan

What irritates me more than Apple releasing these bullshit spec laptops is all the Apple fanboy youtube channels that not along ago with their "shopping guides" saying "oh yeah I definitely recommend upgrading to 16GB just to be safe" are now U-turning and saying "oh 8GB is totally fine, stop whining". Fuckin idiots the lot of them.
Who said that? I haven't recommended 8GB ram for the past 5 years, barely enough to open fucking facebook now a days. Apple by a large margin makes the greatest laptops out there gotta say. Windows laptops a truly trash in comparison, with the M-series it hasn't been to bad playing games on the Mac, though the list isn't nearly as comprehensive as for Windows.

adamosmaki

I'm guessing their foray into gaming besides scary fast will also be scary expensive. No one gives a s***t about an overpriced apple product for gaming outside casual gaming. What's the point? No games, expensive and underwhelming

Top Bottom