• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scary Fast" Apple Mac event on October 30th to have a heavy focus on gaming

Comandr

Of course not, they love consumers with a big bank account :messenger_beaming:

You can call me a hater when Apple don’t sell a set of wheels for €849, when every basic computer accessory in Apple Stores doesn’t cost at least double what you can find anywhere else for basically the same quality, and when they stop adding the “magic” moniker to pretty daily stuff that they didn’t invent out of thin air.

I’m typing this on an iPad Pro fyi. A trillion dollar company doesn’t need you defending them from a jab on an internet forum, my friend.
It's not about defending a trillion dollar company, it's about stamping out the perpetuation of uninformed, destructive misinformation. You say this shit in jest, but there are no doubt a good percentage of people reading your comments that really believe it.

Let's talk about these $700 wheels that are made for a BASE PRICE $6000 computer. The always incredible MKBHD explains the wheels best. In this clip, some other examples of luxury products from luxury brands include a $250,000 belt. A fucking BELT. If the price of a product doesn't make sense to you, it's probably not for you. This isn't a product for joe consumer. But if a company like Pixar wants to buy a bunch of $50,000 mac pros for rendering, throwing in $700 wheels is fucking nothing. It's not always about the price, it's about the perception. Public perception is everything to a company like this.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I was mainly referencing how everybody continues to suck off Nvidia despite them price gouging more then Apple has in the same time period not as much as the pc space as a whole.
Yeah Nvidia seems to want to emulate apple. Excited to see their ARM cpus for desktops in the coming years though.
M2 Max chip is already at around ps5 performance, in theory. I’m curious about the M3, it might be finally the step where people say you can game on Macs.

I have an M2 pro which is around the power of a ps4 pro if I remember correctly and it’s pretty fun to play some steam games on it, as long as it’s not too taxing on the hardware. Love how quiet the MacBook Pro is (literally 0 sound), and the battery lasts very long too.

I don’t like pc laptops so much because even though they can be much more powerful, they’re very loud and the battery lasts max 1 hour when you game on them. Also the screens are vastly inferior unless you buy a really high end laptop.
Yeah laptops are terrible in general. I wish my work just gave me a NUC or something. A portable desktop would be way more convenient between docks.

It's not about defending a trillion dollar company, it's about stamping out the perpetuation of uninformed, destructive misinformation. You say this shit in jest, but there are no doubt a good percentage of people reading your comments that really believe it.

Let's talk about these $700 wheels that are made for a BASE PRICE $6000 computer. The always incredible MKBHD explains the wheels best. In this clip, some other examples of luxury products from luxury brands include a $250,000 belt. A fucking BELT. If the price of a product doesn't make sense to you, it's probably not for you. This isn't a product for joe consumer. But if a company like Pixar wants to buy a bunch of $50,000 mac pros for rendering, throwing in $700 wheels is fucking nothing. It's not always about the price, it's about the perception. Public perception is everything to a company like this.
It's similar to how if a company primarily sells to the government. If the govt is the main consumer, then the price will be jacked up since they can't sell to the commercial market for less money. The consumers who want that product end up paying contract prices at minimum.

LordOfChaos

Sony's PS5 cloud streaming is launching on the 30th in the US too...The event is pushed back to night for us to coincide with business time in Japan. It's a stretch but...

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Tired Cat GIF

Yeah Nvidia seems to want to emulate apple. Excited to see their ARM cpus for desktops in the coming years though.
I think it's more they know they are at the top when it comes to PC GPUs and know they can get away with it and people will continue to eat shit until somebody makes something better. That's why I want Intel to release a 2nd generation line of GPUs that can actually compete with cards above the XX60 level.

GPU space is only going to get worse with how hard upscaling is being pushed. Besides the top tier GPUs they all rely on it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Let’s assume the dream part of your scenario comes true.

Then would come the hard reality:
- regular controller (it will have issues) $149.99, Magic Controller $249.99
- proprietary cables, $49.99 each
- quasi-mandatory subscription, $79.99/year for base plan
- optional dock/stand, $179.99
- no physical media option
- social features tied to iPhone/Apple Watch, if you an Android user then you’re out of luck or there’s an extra to pay

Imagine.

Come now, mainstream Mac products don't normally suffer the "MacBook pro" taxes.
And most of thier most popular products have had regular purchase options vs subs.
No physical media is a real possibility, but most of its buyers just won't care, and will prefer it anyhow.

Ok I can buy a high end pc laptop that has the around the same performance but worse battery and screen for like 40K kronor, so that’s like 4000 dollars? Apple is not so expensive in comparison if you really compare the quality/money.

It will not shit on the MacBook for that money even. Yes the graphics are better because video card but everything else is worse. Especially the noise and battery.

You clearly didn't read my post.

I'm saying I'd buy a desktop that shits on the Macbook in terms of performance and will still be just as quiet, AND a separate cheap laptop for all my mobile personal computing needs. The cheap laptop battery life will be comparable because I'm not buying something high-end, just something cheap to let me do productivity shit on it. So I will have the best of all the MacBook offers on the two devices and have still spent less.

MacBooks like all Apple products are overpriced. And just because MS and others have started selling shittier overpriced high-end PC laptops, doesn't make them or Apple's devices any less overpriced.

The generic Apple bashing is always funny to see.

Apples internal tech is very impressive and we’ve seen huge improvements to stuff like gaming since they released their M series chips.
relative to gaming, it went from shit to very bad.
though that is an improvement.

basically the only people gaming on apple hardware are people who already have apple hardware.
no one is buying new apple hardware just for gaming.

this isnt the first time theyve focused on gaming. this is just the first time the result isnt shit (which is an important milestone, dont get me wrong).

we'll see what happens, competition is great, if apple throws a ton of weight behind designing big boy GPUs that'd be cool... but there's nothing exciting yet.

T-Cake

No Vulkan = no games.

Apple knows this, they just don't care. They'll get a few token ports and then nothing.
Why would they use Vulkan when they have their own Metal API which is tied into their own silicon for (presumably) even more of a performance advantage?

Last edited:
relative to gaming, it went from shit to very bad.
though that is an improvement.

basically the only people gaming on apple hardware are people who already have apple hardware.
no one is buying new apple hardware just for gaming.

this isnt the first time theyve focused on gaming. this is just the first time the result isnt shit (which is an important milestone, dont get me wrong).

we'll see what happens, competition is great, if apple throws a ton of weight behind designing big boy GPUs that'd be cool... but there's nothing exciting yet.
The fact that something like a M1 MacBook Air with how thin it is and without any active cooling can even run something like RE Village or Tomb Raider is extremely impressive.

And most of stuff is thinking through compatibility layers and not running natively. Basically emulating and still pulling playable framerates.

There’s a ton of people that are Mac only users so this all is super useful. Mac gaming will never be as big as PC but any growth is a good thing.

The exciting part for me is this is really their first actual try and it’s been a pretty quick turnaround as well. These porting toolkits are new and the M processors are only a couple years old. With how fast they are moving who knows what can happen.

T-Cake

The exciting part for me is this is really their first actual try and it’s been a pretty quick turnaround as well. These porting toolkits are new and the M processors are only a couple years old. With how fast they are moving who knows what can happen.

Yeah, I keep seeing videos on YouTube with people playing full-blown Windows titles on Mac with the Game Porting Kit (GPK). Even Crossover now has it built in so there is no Terminal configuration. Yes, it's well below par - 1080p60 if you're lucky but it opens up a massive library.

As I mentioned previously, if the M3 Pro Mac mini is out soon, I'd be severely tempted and use a combo of Crossover/GeForce Now and PS5 to get my gaming fix. I'm the exception to the rule in that I would actually buy a Mac primarily for gaming. I'm already in the Apple system with an iPhone and Watch so it would be nice to have macOS as well.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Imagine apple buying Nintendo and announcing all Nintendo games coming to iPhones and iPads
The internet would explode
Around 18 months ago I heard rumours that Apple and EA were “in discussion“ (From a non-gaming tech source based in SF - whether anything came of it I don’t know but this guy had no agenda or reason to make stuff up).

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Around 18 months ago I heard rumours that Apple and EA were “in discussion“ (From a non-gaming tech source based in SF - whether anything came of it I don’t know but this guy had no agenda or reason to make stuff up).
Nintendo’s a Japanese company so no chance of that. But Apple could literally buy any other company outside of Japan if they wished, even Microsoft.
They could afford it but that’s a very un-Apple thing to do. Apple tends to buy up lots of smaller, younger companies who have some interesting new tech or product that Apple is looking to expand into.

It’s very rare for them to buy a big company with a well established brand. Their biggest acquisition ever was Beats in 2014 for $3 billion, and that was a really unusual + surprising move for them. Looks like chump change compared to the recent megaton acquisitions in the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
They could afford it but that’s a very un-Apple thing to do. Apple tends to buy up lots of smaller, younger companies who have some interesting new tech or product that Apple is looking to expand into.

It’s very rare for them to buy a big company with a well established brand. Their biggest acquisition ever was Beats in 2014 for $3 billion, and that was a really unusual + surprising move for them. Looks like chump change compared to the recent megaton acquisitions in the gaming industry.
Beats makes sense for their market. Corner the fashion audio market to make airpods huge.

Holammer

They'll show the new M3 chip, a new mac, ipad, keyboard and pencil.
A few demanding games running on the system. For a regular console gamer it'll be an expensive nothing burger.

THE DUCK

Nintendo’s a Japanese company so no chance of that. But Apple could literally buy any other company outside of Japan if they wished, even Microsoft.

Um, no, Ms and Apple are almost the same size. You seem to have an overinflated value of the fruit company.

THE DUCK

I mean it looks nice but it's not like it's a 30tf gpu......still though could be dangerous in a portable.....

Maybe if you could get ultra cheaper would be cool?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It’s unlikely to happen but they could.
Apple’s bigger than Microsoft.

Bruh what are you talking about, being "bigger" isn't enough. 2.5T market cap for MS vs 2.6, and it's cash or debt that would buy it, the cashflow or money in the bank isn't remotely enough to buy Microsoft's public float. This is 100% wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom