• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney XD to show Doraemon in America for the first time this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

t26

Fujiko Fujio must be rolling in his grave now. He wasn't happy with the name change for the Chinese market and now Disney is doing this.

Holy shit lol, americans are more than 1700 episodes behind! I know, this is only for the new series, but is surprising that this never aired there. How could you get Shin Chan before this? they basically have the same amount of japanese culture in them.

As a spaniard Im pretty proud that I could watch the whole series untoutched on tv (and they even brought the majority of the movies), it's pretty fantastic although really repetitive. The best episodes are the ones that they go to the future with the time machine inside the drawer. I also think the new series is better, the art is pretty great and they've tried to get rid os some of the repetivness the old series had (more special episodes, Gegant and Suneo being only dickheads when they really have to and being friends with Nobita most of the time, Shizuka being a real character, etc...).
We have a cartoon channel in spain that airs Doraemon nearly non stop during the whole day, the channel is supposed to have other cartoons (gumball, adventure time... the majority are cartoon network ones) but probably 6 or 7 of the whole 24 hours is only Doraemon repeats and new episodes (of course with other cartoons in between). It's pretty crazy, and yeah, theyve also done 24 hours marathons when a new movie is released. Even the color of the channel's logo is the same type of blue lol People call it the Thematic Doraemon Channel.

Still the version you are going to get is pretty censored with idiotic changes (holy shit at the pizza, how the fuck are you going to explain that) so I don't know if that will be a good compromise. And how are they going to treat Shizuka's nudes? lol

BYW Doraemon's in japanese voice is the same as Monokuma from Danganronpa. He has a really raspy voice (some dubs omit this) because of something that happened in the future. I question if they will decide to keep the raspy voice in america or make it similar to Monokuma's english voice.

I guess in the future cats don't need ears anymore.

The ears where because the were biten by mice (he is really afraid of them), the color blue (he was yellow before) and his raspy voice because he couldn't stop crying when he was abandoned in an alley in the future (he was a robot). Then came Nobita's grandson (he is a scientist) and repaired him. Nobita's family in the future is shit because of Nobita's fault, so he decides to send the robot to the past to rework Nobita's life when he is a child and make him a better person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom