• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doraemon US localization shows Doraemon eating Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Kids can't be allowed to know a country called Japan exists. It's gotta be all USA son.

Hopefully they don't butcher it that bad. I remember when 4kids did this with One Piece.

sd_helmeppo1.jpg

It always bugged me how Japan is ok with violence in anime but their video games try to censor it or give it a high rating.

Whereas in the West, violence is bad in anime but video games can be as bloody as you want and still get the Teen rating.

zeopower6

Its fucking gross.

I thought shit like this stopped happening years ago.

It should be illegal to mangle other peoples work like this.

Isn't Shogakukan assisting with this localization? I know some of the changes are in the manga too...

Still, 140 million copies of official editions of the series have been published in 17 countries, including France, Italy and Spain. But the manga has not arrived in the huge U.S. market.

“It has been pointed out that Nobita’s passive attitude--he always relies on Doraemon--would not appeal to the U.S. readers,” said Ryutaro Mihara, former industry ministry official who has studied Japan’s pop culture in the United States.

But senior Fujiko Pro Co. official Yoshihiko Shinoda said the time had come to change its cautious stance on advancing into the United States.

“With the manga’s popularity having been established in Spanish-speaking countries, we thought it was time to move to the United States, where the Hispanic population is increasing.”

Mitsuru Saito, who heads the Doraemon Room at Shogakukan, is upbeat on the move.

“Any child can understand Nobita,” Saito said. “I want U.S. readers to know the manga series.”

EDIT: Hm... AltJapan with VoyagerJapan seem to be behind it. You may know them from games like Lunar: Silver Star Story or Lollipop Chainsaw :eek:~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidGdg__yso&feature=youtu.be
This is a video explaining their choices in localization at least for the new English version of the manga.

This thread made me go look up what "Omelette Rice" is and... you know, something about chicken and egg going into the same dish kind of repulses me. It's like, you're taking out the whole family.

There's a dish called oyakodon (parent and child rice bowl) that is essentially that. It's chicken wrapped in softly cooked egg in a rice bowl~

I hate this type of censorship so much. Most of it seems like they're trying to rub away any evidence that this is a show from Japan. Is its so bad to introduce characters living in foreign countries to children?

This thread made me go look up what "Omelette Rice" is and... you know, something about chicken and egg going into the same dish kind of repulses me. It's like, you're taking out the whole family.

But it's so good.

There's also Oyako-don which directly translates to parent-and-child bowl and it's awesomely delicious.

oyakodon.jpg

The pizza edit and the latest two posted are odd. I guess they're taking some pretty strong creative liberties and changing scenes and dialogue around.

I've been curious about the show, but I haven't seen much of it. Has there been any substantial work done on an English-subbed version, either commercial or fanmade?

There are some subs online. I'm still glad to see such a charming show get some form of an official localization. Still waiting on a faithful dub for Shin Chan...

Yeah, he lost his ears.

Whaaaat? I thought Doraemon was a cat without ears this whole time.

Wonder if they'll really say why Doraemon has no ears...

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but Doraemon is a robot, not a cat.

I also grew up watching Doraemon-- it's been dubbed into Filipino over here-- and it's wholly uncensored, which is amazing considering this is the Philippines, one of the most conservative countries in the world. Remember that episode where Nobita took inappropriate pictures of Shizuka via one of Doraemon's? Yep, that happened.

Nobita is a notorious pervert. How on earth will they even adapt that?

mavs

I guess Doraemon isn't hurt in that situation anymore so the first aid kit shouldn't be there anymore... but of all things to have... a pizza? :|

Dump a Little Caesar's on the floor and eat the pizza off the floor like a fucking animal you piece of shit

Why can't we just have shows from other countries take place in other countries? Is a world existing outside of the US too controversial to show kids in 2014?

Qvoth

i've never watched the anime, but i remember there's nudity on the manga, how are they going to deal with that?

muteki

I see 00's kids still have it just as bad as 80's and 90's kids. And here I thought we had made some progress.
Kids can't be allowed to know a country called Japan exists. It's gotta be all USA son.
This bothers me more than violence censorship. Heaven forbid our kids get any amount of culture.

xk0sm0sx

i've never watched the anime, but i remember there's nudity on the manga, how are they going to deal with that?

They would have to edit if it's the old show. The ones being brought over is already very family friendly in the Japanese version (though the animators had been a little naughty recently).

Zaptruder

Banned
There's some degree of irony in a country with a much higher incidence of gun and sex related violence taking the children's media of a county with much lower incidences of either (or even just violence period), and censoring anything that might even remotely whiff of that sort of irksomeness.

Koppai

Ugh what the hell is this shit, 4Kids all over again?

We finally get Doraemon but it's gonna be edited, fuck that.
will watch anyway...

When's it coming out?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why they have to censor tears and turn it into USA.

Also, I wonder what will happen to the scenes where Doraemon takes out bombs and what not whenever he wants to eliminate mice.

Zornica

Banned
I don't get why they have to censor tears and turn it into USA.

Also, I wonder what will happen to the scenes where Doraemon takes out bombs and what not whenever he wants to eliminate mice.

those mice turn into terrorists with poison gas (and oil) obviously...
Bombs are OK as long as you use them to kill evil people.

/sarcasm

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I get, like, covering up a little kid's dong with some undies if it is airing on U.S. Television. The rest of this is terrible. I can't stand the whole Phoenix Wright "we love hamburgers, welcome to America!" style of localization. All the stuff that did this when I was a kid was just weird and I saw right through it.

Let kids see other cultures for what they are. God knows that's the best time to do it. But this is likely more about the parents than confusing children.

Can't see why parents would be against their children watching cartoons based in other countries. I mean the cartoon already features a robot cat that came from the future and has really weird gadgets, some which are powerful enough to take over the world if fallen into the wrong hands.

I started reading Doraemon manga when I was 5 and even though some of the copies I had were localised to be set in Taiwan or some other Chinese city/country, the vague sense of it being not-where-I-live was strong but never distracted nor bewildered me. As I aged I understood it was set in Japan, mostly in the 70s and it was interesting to me as a kid to have a setting that was different from my own.

Shouta

JYB as Nobi? lol

Some of the edits make sense, I guess. Seems like the JPs want to make it more relevant to America and asked for them though. The only one that seems weird is the pizza one. Feeding the cat pizza, lol.

The crying edit probably was because it's not a visual convention used in the US to convey crying. So it probably seemed weird is all. Having JYB crying there would be enough.

Translation Gummy should've been Gab Gummy using the Gummy of Gab suggestion in the thread.

sub_o

I thought you needed to coat chicken parts with egg before breading them, in order to fry them.

Rarity

A lot of those changes make sense. I don't know why the changed the medicine into a pizza though.

I'm a little confused...

Why would they replace a first aid kit with pizza of all things?! :|

Some of the changes are appropriate (name changes, English signs, changing the test results), some are unnecessary (chopsticks into forks, yen into dollars), and some don't make any sense (pizza...?).

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic...? Still, there really is no point to "Americanize" a show that so obviously takes place in Japan. It'll just look weird.

They probably cut the scene where you see Doraemon getting hit in the face, because violence is bad or something. So they had to put something in front of him or his pose would make no sense. Bam, floor pizza. Logic!

I also like that they're willing to edit out all the Japanese on Nobita's homework but then his answers make even less sense, like he's writing down two random numbers as answers to basic integer division. Nobita's dumber in this version he doesn't even know how to write 'remainder.'

I do think to a large degree this stuff is unnecessary, but at the very least it's not as poorly done as it was in Pokemon, at least from the stills. And it's mostly tasteful enough, though the pizza is really questionable. Also I'm kind of questioning how well the "forks" are going to animate when placed over the chopsticks.

I guess Doraemon isn't hurt in that situation anymore so the first aid kit shouldn't be there anymore... but of all things to have... a pizza? :|

The pizza edit and the latest two posted are odd. I guess they're taking some pretty strong creative liberties and changing scenes and dialogue around.

I've been curious about the show, but I haven't seen much of it. Has there been any substantial work done on an English-subbed version, either commercial or fanmade?

I don't get the pizza change... I can understand the others mostly.

JYB as Nobi? lol

Some of the edits make sense, I guess. Seems like the JPs want to make it more relevant to America and asked for them though. The only one that seems weird is the pizza one. Feeding the cat pizza, lol.

The crying edit probably was because it's not a visual convention used in the US to convey crying. So it probably seemed weird is all. Having JYB crying there would be enough.

Translation Gummy should've been Gab Gummy using the Gummy of Gab suggestion in the thread.

I'm just going to say, for the most part, the pizza edit makes sense in context.

Thought I'd bump the most recent Doraemon thread:

So I've been catching a handful of episodes the dubbed series, and it's honestly pretty decent. Everyone was cast extremely well, Mona Marshall being the perfect match for Doraemon. Nobi remains the exception however, sounding a little too old. The bgm for the show seems to be the biggest casualty of the dub, but what they've replaced it with never drops to 4kids One Piece levels of drek music. Other changes seem relatively minor, thankfully. I even saw them use chopsticks at some point, Nobi still has waterfall tears, and some Japanese names have slipped through, so perhaps they reigned in some of the more sweeping alterations?

Anyway, not a bad adaptation I'd say. All the charm and humor is still there. Hopefully it sticks around.

Thought I'd bump the most recent Doraemon thread:

So I've been catching a handful of episodes the dubbed series, and it's honestly pretty decent. Everyone was cast extremely well, Mona Marshall being the perfect match for Doraemon. Nobi remains the exception however, sounding a little too old. The bgm for the show seems to be the biggest casualty of the dub, but what they've replaced it with never drops to 4kids One Piece levels of drek music. Other changes seem relatively minor, thankfully. I even saw them use chopsticks at some point, Nobi still has waterfall tears, and some Japanese names have slipped through, so perhaps they reigned in some of the more sweeping alterations?

Anyway, not a bad adaptation I'd say. All the charm and humor is still there. Hopefully it sticks around.
Ugh. I'll never wrap my head around this practice of replacing music in dubbed anime. It's never as good. The only time it kind of worked was for Zatch Bell and even then they kept some of the Japanese music.

Castcoder

Banned
Ugh. I'll never wrap my head around this practice of replacing music in dubbed anime. It's never as good. The only time it kind of worked was for Zatch Bell and even then they kept some of the Japanese music.

I wouldn't mind if they just turned the original Japanese intro song into an English song, or at least used the original background music and gave it a new vocal track.

For a kids show, changing the music is fine. No kid is going to like the Japanese song, and don't be so stubborn and think a kid will actually sit through it. It's like when you're flipping through channels and land on the Spanish channel when you don't speak Spanish. You skip it immediately.

As far as changing background music, THAT's stupid, unless the original song had Japanese lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom