• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doraemon US localization shows Doraemon eating Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but in the original context they are meant to be ordinary and not "special." Which for most of the intended audience would be lost. Little kids don't care about the anime aspect.

I guess I can understand that, but I do think there's a point where the editing can be too overzealous, even if your target audience is little kids. I mean, look at the One Piece comparisons above. I don't want any other localized show to be treated the same way that 4Kids treated One Piece. That particular localization is the very definition of overzealous editing.

That's not my experience.

Why would they?

You guys never went to any Asian restaurants or ordered takeout from them as a kid? o_O

I mean, I grew up in the Miami suburbs (where I ate Cuban food 90% of the time) and I've seen chopsticks plenty of times.

Zee-Row

Banned
I think the changes are dumb , most middle school and High School kids are well aware of anime and Japanese culture. The internet has made these things more accessible than ever. Kids aren't gonna freak out if they see kanji.

Zoe

You guys never went to any Asian restaurants or ordered takeout from them as a kid? o_O

I mean, I grew up in the Miami suburbs (where I ate Cuban food 90% of the time) and I've seen chopsticks plenty of times.

Yes, and we ate with forks. This was in DFW.

I think the changes are dumb , most middle school and High School kids are well aware of anime and Japanese culture. The internet has made these things more accessible than ever. Kids aren't gonna freak out if the see kanji.

Your age range is a little high there...

massoluk

Banned
I wish they left it as is and may be devoted half a minute at the end explaining the weird Japanese things they assumed kids wouldn't understand in the episode.

Totally missing the point of Doraemon being Japan's biggest cultural export, guys.

Stitch

Gold Member
Why do people assume the young children this show is targeted at know about chop sticks?

If Disney wouldn't have changed them into forks then kids could actually learn something by watching this show. But I guess learning is not cool anymore, that's why there are shows about ghosts and aliens on History...

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
How young are we talking about? I knew about chopsticks when I was 5.

You did. I guarantee most children don't. If this show is now set in America, it makes perfect sense to use forks. I think they should have just kept it in Japan, but whatever.

Valhelm

contribute something
Why do people assume the young children this show is targeted at know about chop sticks?

The majority of 6-10-year-olds are at least familiar with chop sticks. Many American cartoons show Asian characters eating with them and I'm guessing most kids have had some kind of East Asian cuisine. Even at Panda Express, they give you chop sticks if you don't specify that you want a fork.

Chop sticks are as stereotypically Asian as a straw hat. I doubt more than a minority of kids wouldn't recognize them.

You did. I guarantee most children don't.

gdXIHWl.gif

I know this goes both ways. I just wanted an excuse to post this GIF lol.

8NrkcaI.jpg
pWg4l3C.jpg

two more changes

kinda weird with the second one, they're putting things into a time capsule and i guess the girl putting a doll in was... uh...?

Because most of us had or were given or had seen chopsticks by the time they entered school... I still remember being taught how to use chopsticks in first grade (I still use them to this day for chinese food, sushi, and fried rice).

jph139

Man, you all must have grown up in some seriously multicultural areas... I don't even think I saw chopsticks in person until college. Or maybe I just live in a wasteland of whiteness.

I like the name changes mostly. Doraemon's tools and stuff have catchy monikers actually. But the damn visual changes are just too much. Pizza? Kids can't learn about chopsticks? Nobita can't cry? I could understand erasing signs and text, but this is just too much.

dan2026

Name changes
Changing Japanese objects in American ones
Random censorship

Has 4kids returned from the 90s to haunt us?

Allow me to fucking throw up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I don't get the pizza change... I can understand the others mostly.

The pizza edit and the latest two posted are odd. I guess they're taking some pretty strong creative liberties and changing scenes and dialogue around.

I've been curious about the show, but I haven't seen much of it. Has there been any substantial work done on an English-subbed version, either commercial or fanmade?

I'll give this a shot, as I loved the cartoon from when I was little.

Also, missed opportunity to use Sam Riegel (Teddie from Persona 4 Golden) as Doraemon's VA just to mess with people who have played both/either Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa.

KuGsj.gif

mnemovore

Is it just me, or is it weird that cartoons that take place in a fantasy world are okay, but a cartoon that takes place in another country is not allowed?

andymcc

Banned
damn, dorayaki is like a nationally recognized food in japan because of this series and they're changing it? lmao

Dai101

Banned
I love to live in a country that doesn't need localization of foreing media, just a translation, a dub and done.

IpsoFacto

1292281096654.jpg

Mother of God, I was 8 years old when I watched these episodes and I'm pretty sure I wasn't shocked or offended by any of this.

I'm still wondering why they think a show as Japanese-centric as Doraemon's gonna seem "American" after the doctoring. Even if the target audience doesn't know all of the cultural differences that define Japanese society, they'll still know this ain't America. Better just to introduce younger viewers to chopsticks and Japanese homes' lack of insulation than to edit it out.

On the other hand, Doraemon's not a bad choice for a children's show, not at all.

8NrkcaI.jpg
pWg4l3C.jpg

two more changes

kinda weird with the second one, they're putting things into a time capsule and i guess the girl putting a doll in was... uh...?

The tearstream thing is literally identical to the example of Saban's editing for Dragon Ball Z (where they censored Gohan's tears in an early episode).

We've gone back to 1996 standards of anime censorship. Let that sink in for a moment.

This thread made me go look up what "Omelette Rice" is and... you know, something about chicken and egg going into the same dish kind of repulses me. It's like, you're taking out the whole family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom