• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I herd joo liek catz : The Official Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G thread!!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kyoufu said:
Less exciting PSO? How does that happen?
Crappy interface weighs it down a bit and if there are skills they should have given something to start with! This triangle, triangle, triangle, circle!, triangle, circle!, circle! hasn't been too enamoring yet.

Wollan

Radd Spencer said:
New Rajang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJJPCT2htzY

Stays gold the whole time, and when raged he glows. You can see a couple new moves too.

That was pretty impressive. I haven't seen Monster Hunter in the flesh since the Beta for the first one on PS2.
How that Rajang moved around was very action game esque unlike what you're used to in other mp rpg's.

I'll see if I can get a friend to pick up MH2 (standard, cheap) here in AU along with me.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Crappy interface weighs it down a bit and if there are skills they should have given something to start with! This triangle, triangle, triangle, circle!, triangle, circle!, circle! hasn't been too enamoring yet.

The combat takes some getting used to. It's all about spacial positioning and timing. Not so apparent with the SnS, but more noticeable with a GS or lance. It's easier when you think of your opponent the same way you would in a fighter game. Don't attack openly, wait for gaps to appear and take advantage of them.

You're doing 1* quests, so I doubt you'll even encounter an actual "boss" type monster?

Once you have to hunt down a Giadrome/Kutku you can see more of the game's content start to shine.

Defuser

PuppetMaster said:
Been playing it for about 80 hours now. It's the only thing I have been playing.

Even stopped in the middle of Twilight Princess and have never looked back because this game is the only thing I feel like playing. It truely is like crack!
Wait till you get Xlink and Wifimax/planex. You will be put in more hours then you can imagine when you're hunting with people online.

Kyoufu

I'm taking a break from G, after 320 hours of sex. Got all the armor I wanted (all 6 fatalis G sets, Uca, etc etc).

Great expansion.

Did they change Stout Bone drop in 2G? I'm trying to upgrade in the Diabolos Hammer tree and I can't find Stout Bone anywhere. In mhf2 they are supposed to drop off of babakonga and blangonga G rank quest if you capture with decent frequency. However I've captured dozens and no dice...

They also made Devil Slicer require a Kirin drop >.>

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
kirbybreezy said:
Did they change Stout Bone drop in 2G? I'm trying to upgrade in the Diabolos Hammer tree and I can't find Stout Bone anywhere. In mhf2 they are supposed to drop off of babakonga and blangonga G rank quest if you capture with decent frequency. However I've captured dozens and no dice...

They also made Devil Slicer require a Kirin drop >.>

Try doing a HR4-6 bla/baba konga? Or is that what you mean by Grank?

A lot of things have been changed, but little has been documented so far. Kirin drops for Devil slicer is news to me...

spindoc said:
Try doing a HR4-6 bla/baba konga? Or is that what you mean by Grank?

A lot of things have been changed, but little has been documented so far. Kirin drops for Devil slicer is news to me...

Oh jeez, thanks. I was doing HR1 guild quests >.> yikes. I'm a 5 star villager so hopefully I can unlock up to that far in the guild

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
spindoc said:
The combat takes some getting used to. It's all about spacial positioning and timing. Not so apparent with the SnS, but more noticeable with a GS or lance. It's easier when you think of your opponent the same way you would in a fighter game. Don't attack openly, wait for gaps to appear and take advantage of them.

You're doing 1* quests, so I doubt you'll even encounter an actual "boss" type monster?

Once you have to hunt down a Giadrome/Kutku you can see more of the game's content start to shine.
Yeah I'm doing the boss fight for the * missions and I'm just not getting it at all. I attack, it moves out of the way, I can't move because I'm still in the middle of some animation, it jumps on me, I lose half my health and then I die trying to heal. :lol
And the one time I get some damage on it it runs off the map. Wtf?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a translated list of the DLC released so far? I'm trying to find the Late Night Egg Thief quest, but info is hard to come by.

DCharlie

Banned
How that Rajang moved around was very action game esque unlike what you're used to in other mp rpg's.

huh? MH has been like that since the first one. It's not an rpg per se, it's a multiplayer action game with mild rpg elements.

Anyways, about 30 hours in to MH2G - i simultaneously love and hate this game, it's an awesome grinder, but some of it is just ass backwards.

The kimo (fish liver thing i assume in english) was a pain in the arse.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
tetsuoxb said:
Do they use the English text from Freedom 2 as a base, or is it based on the previously poorly translated portable 2nd patch?

From what I've seen so far, most elements are based off Freedom 2. There's some sort of character limit, so a few of the longer item names have been truncated. The new stuff is obviously created from scratch.

There are 2 or 3 patches out there however, each with their own names for certain skills/items/weapons. It's really confusing.

I've jump started my MH sessions again, especially with the introduction of the browser based Kai UI. Anyone on GAF playing? My xtag is spindoc

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
spindoc?! That was you!

So I have played with a Gaffer!

It's a refreshing change, but I've decided to start from scratch. Resisting the urge to get someone to convert my save.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've been trying to get kai running for the longest of time, but I always get the same "runtime" error... Something about the kaiEngine. Don't know what's wrong.

When I DO get it working, my network is unreachable... bleh I shouldn't have updated.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro Madoushi said:
spindoc?! That was you!

So I have played with a Gaffer!

It's a refreshing change, but I've decided to start from scratch. Resisting the urge to get someone to convert my save.

Oh? Whats your xtag? I could never bring myself a start a new save. Maybe if each weapon class was save specific, but as it currently stands, I can't even entertain the idea.

Error said:
I've been trying to get kai running for the longest of time, but I always get the same "runtime" error... Something about the kaiEngine. Don't know what's wrong.

Strange about the unreachable networks, I've left my options untouched from the previous Kai configuration and it worked out of the box.

As for the runtime error, see this, it might be helpful:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32242&sid=4c96e228b7050fcc35c3d1fd5e4299b0

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've done what that link suggested multiple times and still the same error. I'm about to give up, I can't find a way to get an older version either.

Defuser

Tailzo said:
Still no word on an english release of the game?
Nope, G versions on MH never made it to the states. How good did MHF2 sold in US? I doubt it's good. But nevertheless continue hoping it will come.

PantherAttacks said:
Is there any good Monster Hunter game on the PS2/3? (I'm not really into the small screen gaming)

There is MH1 on PS2. MH2 never came to the states,MHFrontier is PC and Japan only.
MH3 was thought to be a PS3 game but Capcom said : Hey!! Let's make MH3 a Wii exclusive because it prints money!!! And thus lots of MH fans were kicked in balls and thus MH3 is coming on the Wii.

Defuser

Woot,finally got a new psp to replace my broken psp so now I can play Monster Hunter again!!

Any gaffers still up for a quest slaying?Cause I'm online right now although the new xlink giving me problems.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:
Woot,finally got a new psp to replace my broken psp so now I can play Monster Hunter again!!

Any gaffers still up for a quest slaying?Cause I'm online right now although the new xlink giving me problems.

I'm online, did you manage to sort out the new kai? The web client is much more stable.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
New update for the english translation patch, CFW required to use:

Included in this update:
* Weapons and Armor descriptions now complete.
* More Item descriptions have been added.
* All menus and menu descriptions now in English.
* Chef conversations completely in English.
* Gallery is now completely in English.
* Some Guild conversations added.
* Random bugfixes etc etc.

http://www.teamhgg.org/

Top Bottom