• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doraemon US localization shows Doraemon eating Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xk0sm0sx

n8BBeJG.jpg

dFiaDpv.jpg

Source in Japanese

Doraemon will start airing on channel "Disney XD" this summer, and some cuts of the US edition has been released. The show for the first time is localized for English audiences instead of just being dubbed over.

Changes include :
"Nobita" will be called "Noby"
"Shizuka"'s name is not changed, but she will be referred to as "Sue" by others.
"Giant" will be called "Big G"
"Suneo" will be called "Sneech" which is derived from "Sneer"
"Giant's sister" will be called "Little G"
"Dekisugi" the genius will be called "Ace"

The items :
"Dokodemo Door" will be called "Anywhere Door"
"Takecopter" will be called "Hopter"
"Honyaku Konyaku" (The eaten item that allows one to listen and speak any languages) will be called "Translation Gummy"

The setting is more based in America, and as such :
Characters now hold forks instead of chopsticks.
The dish Omellete rice is changed to Pancakes.
A shop selling stone grills is turned into a truck selling popcorns.
Signs written in Japanese being changed to English.
Nobita's 0 mark test sheet is now called an "F".
The Japanese Yen notes being changed to American Dollar notes.
The episode where Doraemon gets furious at being called a racoon is changed to being called a seal, to make the joke easier to understand.

Also, to promote healthy living, the scenes Doraemon is shown eating his favourite red bean pancake has been shortened. Nobita's teatime snacks has been changed from biscuits to fruits. Also, the translation for Giant's most famous phrase is "What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine!" (Ore no mono ha ore no mono, omae no mono mo oreno mono)

Episode 1 of the US version will feature the first story of the original comic, "I came from the future", the story of how Nobita met Doraemon.
Producer Eric P Sherman says "We are really thankful to be able to bring over the show of what they call "the jewel of Japan" ". The voice actress of Doraemon, Mona Marshall, added that she hopes to be able to give the America's kids the fascination of Doraemon.

xk0sm0sx

As a big fan of Doraemon myself, having read all of the books since young and can still recall any chapter clearly, I find the edits rather interesting and would be interested to watch it haha.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I don't get the raccoon thing. We have them in America.

Gonna watch.

I've been interested in seeing the show for years. No idea why I haven't yet.

'healthy living' also equates to eating pizza instead of bandaging your wounds.

also 2000 yen became 10 bucks.

localized noby got stiffed.

xk0sm0sx

Ah, I missed a small part while translating. The change was to let the viewers understand easier why Doraemon could be mistaken as another animal. (It's already hard enough to see how Doraemon resembles a Tanuki, so they changed it to a Seal)

Post updated

xk0sm0sx

I don't get the raccoon thing. We have them in America.

Gonna watch.

I've been interested in seeing the show for years. No idea why I haven't yet.

It's really a great show to watch to pass the time.
The short stories in the comics/show are complete, and have a certain level of ingenuity in how each story ends.
Examples include time paradoxes induced by time traveling, the consequences of a person holding too much power and doing anything he wish, how a tool that seems to solve all problems can backfire on the user. To me, the science fiction aspect is as good as any adult show.

The show has been going on since the 1980s, and used to show 3 stories each episode, then in the 2000s, they changed the art style, voice actors, and adapting the stories to be longer, becoming 2 per episode.

The old format were more explicit than the new ones, which were toned down.
Despite the series being meant for children, the original comics had some very dark stories, and even some drawings were sexual in a non explicit way. There were even situations where the kids were going to die. The new ones were toned down, and kind of boring due to it, hence I myself prefer the anime before the 2000s.

zeopower6

Ooo, Mona Marshall (Izzy from Digimon) is going to be Doraemon. :eek:

I guess one thing that I am okay with is that the edits don't look as halfassed as a lot of the Pokemon ones. WTF was with that floating sandwich? The money swaps and the pizza box at least look like they were 'originally there'. The store sign though maybe not so much.

"Honyaku Konyaku" (The eaten item that allows one to listen and speak any languages) will be called "Translation Gummy"

Gummy of Gab might have worked better here tbh

Stitch

Gold Member
Yeah let's change everything that looks different. Don't want kids to learn about foreign cultures.

Some of the changes are appropriate (name changes, English signs, changing the test results), some are unnecessary (chopsticks into forks, yen into dollars), and some don't make any sense (pizza...?).

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic...? Still, there really is no point to "Americanize" a show that so obviously takes place in Japan. It'll just look weird.

I'm a little confused...

Why would they replace a first aid kit with pizza of all things?! :|

They probably cut the scene where you see Doraemon getting hit in the face, because violence is bad or something. So they had to put something in front of him or his pose would make no sense. Bam, floor pizza. Logic!

I also like that they're willing to edit out all the Japanese on Nobita's homework but then his answers make even less sense, like he's writing down two random numbers as answers to basic integer division. Nobita's dumber in this version he doesn't even know how to write 'remainder.'

Did this get localized previously in the US? It was localized in Italian decades ago and it was basically left untouched, down to the scene
where shizuka was under the shower
which made me go ''WTF!?'' at the time

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Maybe it's because they don't want to encourage kids to go out get pet raccons

Or eat medicine.

Some of the changes are appropriate (name changes, English signs, changing the test results), some are unnecessary (chopsticks into forks, yen into dollars), and some don't make any sense (pizza...?).

I guess I'm cautiously optimistic...? Still, there really is no point to "Americanize" a show that so obviously takes place in Japan. It'll just look weird.

It's for little American kids. Who can relate to and learn from forks. Leaving it Japanese in every detail makes it something it's not originally intended to be. Localization makes perfect sense

Whaaaat? I thought Doraemon was a cat without ears this whole time.

Edit: Ignore me.

Oh, and I am ready to eat some donuts! (🍙)

xk0sm0sx

Did this get localized previously in the US? It was localized in Italian decades ago and it was basically left untouched, down to the scene

Yes it was translated to plenty of languages before. And that was the version pre 2005. This is the first time they are bringing the new version out of Japan and comes with all these localization.

And yep, the old version can be a little kinky at times, it was all due to the original manga which depicted panties and even non-explicit penises.

zeopower6

I think it only recently started to get releases here. The manga only started coming here last year.

It's for little American kids. Who can relate to and learn from forks. Leaving it Japanese in every detail makes it something it's not originally intended to be. Localization makes perfect sense

I never said that it had to be Japanese in every detail (and even said that quite a few of the alterations are good), but even "little American kids" know what chopsticks are.

zeopower6

Maybe the pizza thing is Domino's trying to get their hands into all thing anime. First was Hatsune Miku, now its Doreamon.

Domino's also had a Tiger and Bunny tie-in where they made the character's faces with the pizza toppings. It looked pretty good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I never said that it had to be Japanese in every detail (and even said that quite a few of the alterations are good), but even "little American kids" know what chopsticks are.

Sure but in the original context they are meant to be ordinary and not "special." Which for most of the intended audience would be lost. Little kids don't care about the anime aspect.

It's tanuki, not racoon. Americans don't know what tanuki are.

The OP mixing that up is pretty indicative of that.

Wonder if they'll really say why Doraemon has no ears...

That was shown in the special episode, 2112: The Birth of Doraemon.
Doraemon was originally yellow with ears but a mouse ate them. He then turned blue after drinking a sorrow potion.
. They could dub that too if they want to fully show off Doraemon's origin story.

Zoe

That was shown in the special episode, 2112: The Birth of Doraemon.
Doraemon was originally yellow with ears but a mouse ate them. He then turned blue after drinking a sorrow potion.
. They could dub that too if they want to fully show off Doraemon's origin story.

Really, it took them that long to explain it?

It's just something I always knew.

Boogiepop

I do think to a large degree this stuff is unnecessary, but at the very least it's not as poorly done as it was in Pokemon, at least from the stills. And it's mostly tasteful enough, though the pizza is really questionable. Also I'm kind of questioning how well the "forks" are going to animate when placed over the chopsticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom