• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doraemon US localization shows Doraemon eating Pizza!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the trailer, I realize I completely forgot to watch the episodes on TV.

And the powers that be should have gotten Brian Beacock for Doraemon...

Christopher

I wouldn't mind if they just turned the original Japanese intro song into an English song, or at least used the original background music and gave it a new vocal track.

For a kids show, changing the music is fine. No kid is going to like the Japanese song, and don't be so stubborn and think a kid will actually sit through it. It's like when you're flipping through channels and land on the Spanish channel when you don't speak Spanish. You skip it immediately.

As far as changing background music, THAT's stupid, unless the original song had Japanese lyrics.

The sailor moon music was fuckjng awesome dub wise

At first I wasn't sure about Doraemon's voice, but after a few episodes, I love it. Cute show, too. I just want to hug Doraemon endlessly.

Ugh. I'll never wrap my head around this practice of replacing music in dubbed anime. It's never as good. The only time it kind of worked was for Zatch Bell and even then they kept some of the Japanese music.

Say what you want about the US dub of Sailor Moon, but the music was AWESOME.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Probably just cheaper for american studious to make their own soundtrack. I believe more must be paid to use the original soundtrack.

Toad.T

Banned
For those wondering about the swap, the context was shown in an episode. Nobita used a device on himself to become a vampire, and was being a dick to everybody. Doraemon included. After Nobita bit him on the nose, Doraemon counter-attacks with a garlic topped pizza, subduing him. So it was probably just a copyright dodging thing all-along (The Red Cross is pretty protective of their branding)

Apparently the show's bombing in ratings too, IIRC.

TxdoHawk

I just really don't get this argument that the show has to be drastically changed so that little kids aren't confused. I mean, we live in a globalized world. Why not give the younger set exposure to the idea that hey, there's a whole world out there and yes, not all of it is the same?

And sure, okay, they're going to ask questions, and they're going to wonder why certain things are the way they are, and why does the money look weird, and why are those people eating with sticks, and so on. So what? Is that such a bad thing? Are we all that terrified of giving little kids an excuse to use their brain and ask questions?

Zornica

Banned
Say what you want about the US dub of Sailor Moon, but the music was AWESOME.

compared to? after watching American sailor moon and Japanese sailor moon side by side, I have to disagree strongly.

I just really don't get this argument that the show has to be drastically changed so that little kids aren't confused. I mean, we live in a globalized world. Why not give the younger set exposure to the idea that hey, there's a whole world out there and yes, not all of it is the same?

And sure, okay, they're going to ask questions, and they're going to wonder why certain things are the way they are, and why does the money look weird, and why are those people eating with sticks, and so on. So what? Is that such a bad thing? Are we all that terrified of giving little kids an excuse to use their brain and ask questions?

nah, apparently Americans wanna keep their young ones living in bubbles. there is no world out there, only communism and other kinds of evil.
(which, I think, is very sad...)

Christopher

compared to? after watching American sailor moon and Japanese sailor moon side by side, I have to disagree strongly.

nah, apparently Americans wanna keep their young ones living in bubbles. there is no world out there, only communism and other kinds of evil.
(which, I think, is very sad...)

The American sailor moon music was awesome the Japanese one feels dated cheesy and like it came straight out of the 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom