• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Pocahontas is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy enough to ignore, isn't it? Being a DTV movie by a different studio and all.
I guess you could but it just bothered me so much.
I recently rewatched all the main series of Disney animated movies, most of the DTVs were actually good or at least watchable
(TLM2 and the series, Mulan 2, Aladdin 2, 3 and the series)
Couldn't believe how bad Pocahontas 2 was and much it felt like it was trying to ruin the original.

Village

Its a not good retelling of a horrific story.

The upside is that the animation is well done. That does not make the movie unterrible, its just nice looking terrible.

Goldrush

DON'T DO IT. Pocahontas II is baaaaad. It's a borderline insulting plot about Pocahontas going to England liberally peppered with uninspired gags featuring the animal sidekicks.

I don't remember anything about Pocahontas II except for the feeling of anger I had watching it. I don't mind watching a bad movie, but something happen in that movie that just left me angry.

Pocahontas sucks. Had a weak resolution, non-compelling characters, useless animal sidekicks; the only saving grace was the top notch illustration and the songs.

I wrote a paper during my Freshman year of college about how inaccurate it is.

So yeah, definitely agree that it's bad.

the attempt at historical "correctness" is one thing that lead to 2 being awful.
John Rolfe
which is kind funny because in The New World I liked John Rolfe more than John Smith

and Avatar has the same story as Disney's Pocahantas...

it is so wrong to select an historical event then spin it into a fairy tale.

the real Pocahontas first met the real John Smith when she was 10/12 years old, just to tell ya how off and different the real story was

ByeBitch.gif

her hair would make great all-natural tampons.

but without it we would have never gotten Avatar

On a serious note, when Lion King and Pocahontas were put in development Pocahontas actually had more resources available to it because it was considered the next AAA film after Aladdin. Lion King was being worked on by a B-Team. It wasn't until very late in development that Katzenberg saw the potential in it and beefed up the budget but even up to release day Disney was considering this a lower tier film like "The Rescuers Down under".

NEO0MJ

On a serious note, when Lion King and Pocahontas were put in development Pocahontas actually had more resources available to it because it was considered the next AAA film after Aladdin. Lion King was being worked on by a B-Team. It wasn't until very late in development that Katzenberg saw the potential in it and beefed up the budget but even up to release day Disney was considering this a lower tier film like "The Rescuers Down under".

Yeah, it was pretty ironic.

The Lion King is one of my all time favorites.

qindarka

Banned

Heard this story tonnes of times but I suspect it has been exaggerated for narrative effect, to emphasize the underdog success and the failure due to hubris.

qindarka

Banned
Mulan 2 was good(though not even close to the original), TLM 2 was alright.

Actually heard that TLM2 was one of the worst ones, along with Hunchback 2 and Cinderella 2. Ones which I've heard may be decent were Cinderella 3, Lion King 1.5, Bambi 2 and Aladdin 3.

Only watched Aladdin 3, though, which indeed was decent.

Actually heard that TLM2 was one of the worst ones, along with Hunchback 2 and Cinderella 2. Ones which I've heard may be decent were Cinderella 3, Lion King 1.5, Bambi 2 and Aladdin 3.

Only watched Aladdin 3, though, which indeed was decent.

I guess it could technically be bad but I thought it was just meh at worst.(though there is easily alot of bad in it; the daughter is annoying, new animal sidekicks) It felt the most like a proper expanse and conclusion.
I haven't seen 3
Aladdin 2 & 3 are alright imo, 3 is better than 2 though.
Meh on Lion King 1.5 but I didn't love the original though so that might be the problem.

CassSept

It was terrible and easily the worst '90s Disney movie. Colors of the Wind is amazing though and at least somewhat justifies the existence of this movie.

I'm not overly fond of any of the huge production modern era Disney movies. There's something about the computer aided tweening that always bugs me, the musical numbers keep getting sappier and more generic, and the comic relief has veered consistently into hamfisted smart talking in-yo-face territory for, what, two decades? They also feel like they're tailored to a market, whereas early Disney films had loftier artistic ambitions. Even the better of the modern ones are vastly overrated, and imo don't even scratch at the quality and vision of early Disney films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, etc. Then again, I think Jungle Book was the last stone cold classic, so I realize I'm in pretty firmly the minority on the subject. You don't know how defeated I feel every time someone ardently defends the Lion King as the pinnacle of Disney's output. It's embarrassing.

PaulloDEC

I'm not overly fond of any of the huge production modern era Disney movies. There's something about the computer aided tweening that always bugs me, the musical numbers keep getting sappier and more generic, and the comic relief has veered consistently into hamfisted smart talking in-yo-face territory for, what, two decades?

I'm not really sure what you mean there; I don't think Disney animation has ever included "computer aided tweening", unless you're talking about digital additions like the stampede in The Lion King or the "Deep Canvas" tech used on the backgrounds in Tarzan. Pretty sure the actual character animation is all still entirely hand-drawn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

PaulloDEC

Fuck that. I remember shit about Hercules and Mulan

I don't remember a damn thing about Pocahontas.

....also Goofy Movie > All

I've learned to really love Hercules over the last few years. So much of that movie is a kind of weird genius, from the casting of James Woods as Hades to the mind-bogglingly left-field idea of having a gospel choir perform a lot of the songs via the Muses.

I'm not really sure what you mean there; I don't think Disney animation has ever included "computer aided tweening", unless you're talking about digital additions like the stampede in The Lion King or the "Deep Canvas" tech used on the backgrounds in Tarzan. Pretty sure the actual character animation is all still entirely hand-drawn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

Have you seen Hercules? The hydra is completely cgi and looks cheap and nasty, some of the clouds are cgi around mt olympus as well, but they look decent.

PaulloDEC

Have you seen Hercules? The hydra is completely cgi and looks cheap and nasty, some of the clouds are cgi around mt olympus as well, but they look decent.

Oh sure, I'm aware of the various uses of CGI in 90s Disney (magic carpet, stampede, hydra, Hunchback crowd scenes etc etc), I just thought GrotesqueBeauty was referring to the practice of using computers to automatically generate in-between frames (ala Adobe Flash) as opposed to having them hand-drawn.

I'm in the process of buying all the late 80s and 90s Disney films on BR and seriously, Mulan is fucking awesome and for me personally comes very close to the Lion King. Definitely better than most of their other films. People should actually rewatch all these movies and then come back and try to argue that film x is better than y.

And to add something to the topic: Yes, Pocahontas sucks. Actually I would say that it is the only 90s Disney movie that sucks.

entremet

Lion King is still the greatest Disney animated film of all time. Fuck the haters.

Who hates Lion King lol

Ranking time!

Lion King>Beauty and Beast>Aladdin>Mermaid>Tarzan.

Those are probably my top tier movies of that era.

Honorable mentions:
Lilo and Stitch
Hercules
Emperor's New Groove

Yeah, I was never a fan of Pocahontas as a kid and I especially hated the Vanessa Williams song.

Speaking of '90s Disney, I recently watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time since I think it hit VHS. It was okay but man that soundtrack is amazing.

Pocahontas was the end of the Disney Animation renaissance, which peaked with Lion King.
2 years after Poca' we got this:
479.gif

The problem with Poca' and Mulan is that's really difficult to get interested on the characters for many people around the world, I remember something about the poor sales of the movie in Latinamerica for example, honestly I think that the most interesting character of the movie is the talking tree. Not to mention that the real story was very different.

Yeah, I was never a fan of Pocahontas as a kid and I especially hated the Vanessa Williams song.

Speaking of '90s Disney, I recently watched The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time since I think it hit VHS. It was okay but man that soundtrack is amazing.

OUT THERE. living in the sun, give me one day out there, all I ask is one! To hold forever.

Underrated as fuck, especially the creepiest villain song ever.

The New World still has that historically inaccurate "mythical" romantic relationship between John Smith and Pocahontas though.. but my god the attention to detail is so damn good and avoids a lot of those cliches in terms of it's portrayal of native indians.

Yup, beautiful film but it's basically Disney's mythical Love Triangle story for adults.

olQhCuN.jpg

John Smith was a scary motherfucker - not the dashing blonde in Disney or the brooding Hamlet Ferrell. Dude and his bar mustache was brutal and psychotically egotistical. Pocahontas was like 10 or 11 when he was in Jamestown - there was never an affair.

eQHnOso.jpg

Poor Pocahontas was westernized beyond recognition by the time she lived in the colonies and onto England. Nobody knows what Rolfe looked like, but I bet he was an ugly motherfucker and a lot heftier than Christian Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom