• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Pocahontas is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunavi

Banned
ByeBitch.gif
perfect

I'm not overly fond of any of the huge production modern era Disney movies. There's something about the computer aided tweening that always bugs me, the musical numbers keep getting sappier and more generic, and the comic relief has veered consistently into hamfisted smart talking in-yo-face territory for, what, two decades? They also feel like they're tailored to a market, whereas early Disney films had loftier artistic ambitions. Even the better of the modern ones are vastly overrated, and imo don't even scratch at the quality and vision of early Disney films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi, etc. Then again, I think Jungle Book was the last stone cold classic, so I realize I'm in pretty firmly the minority on the subject. You don't know how defeated I feel every time someone ardently defends the Lion King as the pinnacle of Disney's output. It's embarrassing.

I'm... going to have to agree with you on that. A lot of the musicals do feel kind of phoned in. It's like, hey, let's have a big musical number to draw out the running time.

Ristlager

Stop this dissing of Emperors New Groove. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Its non stop laugh from start to finish with high class and exellent delivered jokes/gags/slapstick. Fantastic animation, great voice acting and no singing.

Emperor's New Groove is absolutely awesome.
I feel indifferent to Pocahontas and to be honest I hate Lion King. Everything about it's plot is offensive to me. Don't know why so many love it.

DerZuhälter;85883854 said:
I feel indifferent to Pocahontas and to be honest I hate Lion King. Everything about it's plot is offensive to me. Don't know why so many love it.

Best Disney movie in years.

Oh, and I love Cool Runnings.

I kinda liked Atlantis tbh.
Up until the point I found out it was a bite of Nadia, the anime.

But I remember Atlantis being among the first of new Disney movies where no one sang and thinking to myself it was kindof a big deal.

marrec

Banned
Stop this dissing of Emperors New Groove. It is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Its non stop laugh from start to finish with high class and exellent delivered jokes/gags/slapstick. Fantastic animation, great voice acting and no singing.

DerZuhälter;85883854 said:

Best Disney movie in years.

Oh, and I love Cool Runnings.

These three people get it. Emperor's New Groove is top notch.

Yes

90s Disney hierarchy is like

B&TB
Lion King
Aladdin
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Rescuers Down Under
Tarzan
Mulan
Hercules
Pocahontas

The first half of that list is fairly fluid, they've all been my favorite at one point or another.

But yes Pocahontas is dumb. Weak story, weak characters, good music and art, that's its saving grace.

Maron

I wish The Sweatbox was available for more public viewing. Knowing what went down for Emperor's New Groove will make you respect the film even more for knowing that it went through so many iterations and came out not shit.

Basically the film started out as an epic in the Lion King vein, but things became really muddled and confused so they brought in another director who went in a slapstick direction.

I torrented Sweatbox a couple of weeks ago and it's really something to see those Disney executives tear down the original film and insist on changing pretty much everything. Unfortunately not enough of the original Kingdom of the Sun film is shown to make a judgement on whether or not it was a good idea to change so much in the end, but stuff like the degradation of Yzma's character still really sucks.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
lol, official

whoever counts Mulan in the same breath as Aladdin doesn't deserve to have any authority within the cartoon renaissance governing body
Mulan is way better than Aladdin.... Aladdin hasn't aged well. It has imo one of the worst soundtracks in Disney history.

Einbroch

Banned
Glad to see The Emperor's New Groove love. Absolutely hilarious, by far the funniest Disney movie. The writing, voice acting, and direction was top notch.

Also, Mulan + Hercules > Aladdin + Lion King. Even though Hercules is totally Disney'd and false, it's awesome.

Astral

Colors of the Wind really is the only good thing to come out of that movie. It's amazing. Everything else is so forgettable.

Azuran

Banned
The lack of love for Hercules in this thread is disheartening. That film was a comedy masterpiece and a breath of fresh air from their sappy stuff. .I wish Disney would make a lot more movies that don't take themselves too seriously.

Hades is still the best villian in any Disney film. He stole the entire film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QIOo0qS5k

Still ranks as the most hilarious scene ever by Disney. I couldn't stop laughing for minutes after that.

but without it we would have never gotten Avatar

On a serious note, when Lion King and Pocahontas were put in development Pocahontas actually had more resources available to it because it was considered the next AAA film after Aladdin. Lion King was being worked on by a B-Team. It wasn't until very late in development that Katzenberg saw the potential in it and beefed up the budget but even up to release day Disney was considering this a lower tier film like "The Rescuers Down under".
Damn, really? Makes me wonder if they had similar feelings on other major pieces like Bambi. Was the fact the cast was all animals had something to do w/ their feelings on that b/c I notice every other Disney film from that era had at least one human in the cast.

The lack of love for Hercules in this thread is disheartening. That film was a comedy masterpiece and a breath of fresh air from their sappy stuff. .I wish Disney would make a lot more movies that don't take themselves too seriously.

Hades is still the best villian in any Disney film. He stole the entire film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7QIOo0qS5k

Still ranks as the most hilarious scene ever by Disney. I couldn't stop laughing for minutes after that.
I'm a Hercules fan; very under-appreciated indeed. Hunchback gets even more of that; tbh I have yet to watch that one fully b/c I've never had the chance. Just remember this scene of him on the roof when it's raining and the girl is crawling after him up there.

Too bad Netflix and Hulu don't have it up there; I'd watch it if they did.

entremet

Yes

B&TB
Lion King
Aladdin
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Rescuers Down Under
Tarzan
Mulan
Hercules
Pocahontas

The first half of that list is fairly fluid, they've all been my favorite at one point or another.

But yes Pocahontas is dumb. Weak story, weak characters, good music and art, that's its saving grace.

Missing The Goofy Movie.

Toxi

Banned
I agree, Poccahontas was awful. The animation was pretty... And that was it. The gross historical inaccuracy combined with the lack of quality makes it offensive for me to watch nowadays.

Also, The Goofy Movie was fucking amazing. It's kinda like Lilo and Stitch, in that it portrays a more mundane but funny family situation.

Toth

I always wonderd how they could make a Pocahontas II in London. She died there IRL after contracting an illness lol

Aselith

Yes

B&TB
Lion King
Aladdin
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Rescuers Down Under
Tarzan
Mulan
Hercules
Pocahontas

That definitely isn't the best Disney era though Great Mouse Detective, Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood shit on those movies from great heights.

Cat

I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's a Disney movie I have no interest in seeing again or owning unless my daughter wanted it when she's older.

I appreciate Hercules more and more over time.

I used to think Aladdin was my favorite, but The Little Mermaid is the one I've gone back to watch the most, so I think that is.

Toxi

Banned
That definitely isn't the best Disney era though Great Mouse Detective, Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood shit on those movies from great heights.
You're crazy. Sword in the Stone was a solid "okay" with the transformation battle being the highlight, Robin Hood was hot garbage both in animation and in everything else.

(Although I can't get the march theme from Robin Hood out of my head the second I think about it, so I guess there is that.)

Aselith

You're crazy. Sword in the Stone was a solid "okay" with the transformation battle being the highlight, Robin Hood was hot garbage both in animation and in everything else.

(Although I can't get the march theme from Robin Hood out of my head the second I think about it, so I guess there is that.)

You are outside of your mind,

Dead

well not really...yet
I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's a Disney movie I have no interest in seeing again or owning unless my daughter wanted it when she's older.

I appreciate Hercules more and more over time.

I used to think Aladdin was my favorite, but The Little Mermaid is the one I've gone back to watch the most, so I think that is.
Little mermaid and B&B GOAT

What on earth is wrong with you! Sword in the Stone is one of the few Disney films that was "cool" to like as a young boy because it didn't cram a smarmy love story down your throat. Arthur turned down that girl squirrel stone cold!

Also Emperor's New Groove is the only thing starring David Spade that doesn't make me want to choke him.

KingK

The plot and writing was really weak, but the animation was gorgeous and it had some fantastic songs. Colors of the Wind is one of my favorite Disney songs from any movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom