• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

dan2026

I'll be honest, that demo level was more interesting and varied that any of the levels in DMC4.
Not combat wise, but it just felt more vibrant and actually encouraged you to explore (a little bit).

I read in other place that the combat feels slow, it's that true?.

No, you can tell its 30fps, but the combat is very fast.

rvy

Banned
I read in other place that the combat feels slow, it's that true?.

It's not slow, but it doesn't feel like it's 60fps either, lol.

I'll be honest, that demo level was more interesting and varied that any of the levels in DMC4.
Not combat wise, but it just felt more vibrant and actually encouraged you to explore (a little bit).

Right. Which, again, brings me to my previous point that it's a very neat action game.

Zabka

It's the opposite of what I expected after Enslaved. Gameplay runs well and looks good. Voice acting in cutscenes is pretty weak and the cutscene graphics have problems.

rvy

Banned
It's the opposite of what I expected after Enslaved. Gameplay runs well and looks good. Voice acting in cutscenes is pretty weak and the cutscene graphics have problems.

NT got their priories straight after spending time with Japanese developers.

zoukka

Soon it's time to reminiscence on the DmC threads of old. And prepare the crow. Oh yes, all the crows in the world...

dan2026

What levels are in the demo?

On NT's twitter they said that they're not full missions, but a large portion of a couple.

That level we have all seen into the videos. In the street where the walls morph and you have to destroying the demon camera eyes.

And the boss that hangs from the ceiling above the lava. (You don't do the whole fight though)

Also God help me I actually chuckled at the 'Fuck you!, no fuck you!' exchange.

Asriel

The demo was a blast!

It was hard for me to get used to the new combat, but boy when it is mastered, it's going to be crazy. I look forward to seeing some of the combo vids that will come out.

Going to try to get 100% next time around.

Also, the Dante and boss exchange works so much better within the realm of the game for some reason.

DR2K

Banned
Game is so gorgeous, one of the best looking games this gen. So pretty and colorful, and the framerate is an all time high for NT, a solid 30fps.

The boss battle was a blast, there's a few hidden missions to uncover in the demo.

Going to try the game on hardest mode, just unlocked it.

V_Arnold

Game is so gorgeous, one of the best looking games this gen. So pretty and colorful, and the framerate is an all time high for NT, a solid 30fps.

The boss battle was a blast, there's a few hidden missions to uncover in the demo.

Going to try the game on hardest mode, just unlocked it.

Then the fun is just about to begin for ya :p

Majukun

is possible to upgrade in the demo?it gives me "upgrade" points but i don't know where to spend them

anyway,quick impression after a run at both the boss and the normal level

-controls are easy to learn for what concern the combat..definitely clunkier for the platform parts..with the difference between oper a platform and clim on different triggers.

-to put a button only for launchers is a colossal waste after bayonetta and his combat system

-i don't know if it's only a problem in the beginning when you are not upgraded and such..per the number of combo was underwhelming.

-Dante is really a bad character,really bad.

-all in all the combat seems good,not top tier good,but good nonetheless

-the boss battle was disappointing,a big part of that due to the fatc that launcher don't work on a gigantic boss..that means that the options in combat are halved.

p.s. i'm not an expert and i did only one run..si all the previous ponts can change

p.p.s. how the hell do you kill the red glowing monsters on the last difficulty setting?

V_Arnold

-to put a button only for launchers is a colossal waste after bayonetta and his combat system

I do not think that it was a colossal waste, or even a waste at all. This game focuses heavily on the aerial combat, and with the different angel/devil weapons (angel modifier almost always sustaining enemies in the air and/or pulling them up from the ground or from the air, to even further heights, demon modifier always knocking down from the air, working as a sort of finisher + projectile from air to ground), it would be a mess if you need to use combinations and direction+attacks all the time you want to get an enemy into the air.

With the different enemies on the first level, it is already worth it for many situations to stay afloat, I can only hope the developers build on that premise with even more variety (and mobs that do not like you in the air, maybe :p)

Gbraga

I do not think that it was a colossal waste, or even a waste at all. This game focuses heavily on the aerial combat, and with the different angel/devil weapons (angel modifier almost always sustaining enemies in the air and/or pulling them up from the ground or from the air, to even further heights, demon modifier always knocking down from the air, working as a sort of finisher + projectile from air to ground), it would be a mess if you need to use combinations and direction+attacks all the time you want to get an enemy into the air.

With the different enemies on the first level, it is already worth it for many situations to stay afloat, I can only hope the developers build on that premise with even more variety (and mobs that do not like you in the air, maybe :p)

But isn't this yet another reason why it's such a waste to have a button that only launches and knocks down (or relaunches if you're using Osiris)? If at least they gave the launch button more uses, like a stinger motion + B move or something like that...

EDIT: Not saying I disagree with their decision though, it seems to be a good call to have a launcher button if you don't have hard lock-on.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Those pics in the OP look incredible. I haven't been following this game (or any games). Is that what the game actually looks like?

Sectus

First impressions of the demo are honestly a lot higher than I expected. The combat feels a lot better than in Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. I had some fun in the demo, but I'd have to spend more time with the game to really judge it. I played Vanquish recently, and while that had a positive first reaction, I ended up pretty much despising the game once I had played about halfway through the game (dodge->slomo->shoot->go into cover and repeat, and that's the entire game). So I dunno if this could end up the same way. But well, I guess it could go the other way around and it becomes even better with time. That's how it was with the previous DMC games, I ended up liking it more with each difficulty playthrough.

I'm curious how the game plays at higher difficulties as that's where previous DMC games really shined. I played through some fights in son of sparda and it felt like the difference was that the enemy blocks almost all the time so you need to use the grab move often, and that one enemy could only be hurt with one weapon. I dunno if that's a good way or not to increase difficulty, but at least it felt different than nephilim (which I have to say is too easy).

The writing is absolutely terrible. Every line in that boss fight was just embarrassing.

I'm not convinced to get the game day one, but maybe I'll get it if it drastically drops down in price.

ezekial45

Banned
Those pics in the OP look incredible. I haven't been following this game (or any games). Is that what the game actually looks like?

No sir, those are just concept images. Go take a look at the videos at the bottom of the first post. It's quite a looker in game.

I really liked the demo, nice showcase of the level destruction and of a boss battle. the boss battle itself was a little frustrating on hard, but after a few tries it started to click. one thing, I hate the default layout of the controls, seriously bad choice of controls.

I think this demo has old me the game, will aim to unlock son of sparta mode and see how much of a challenge it offers there, but I'm going to be pre-ordering this. good job, ninja theory, just this demo puts all your past work to shame.

the fluidity of combat was very unexpected after enslaved, perhaps that's capcom's hand in the game shining through, whatever it is, I hope NT take some lessons from this for their next action game.

remz

I really fucking hate the blue/red enemies. Fighting with rebellion feels so much better then using either the shitty scytche or axe, which seem more like dedicated situation weapons then something i want to use exclusively to kill one guy.

There also seems to be more moves unlocked then the game lets on. You can do stinger with >>+Y and yy -wait y in the air does what it's always done.

Top Bottom