• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

You can throw back the rotating knife with cool parry? Gotta try that. I was thinking about the witch's triple spears, actually.
You can either Parry them back or grapple them I believe. But yeah the rotating knife of the Hunter can be "Epic Parried" back at him and if you do that it initiates a mini-cinematic. In fact I am pretty sure that's the way to beat him quick because that whole sequence of trying to dodge the sword takes so long, it cuts it short.

You can also parry back the chainsaws of the Butcher enemy. In addition, Pop is the most braindead way to get parries in this game. Any time you think some enemy/boss is going to attack just start spamming Pop Shredder in the general vicinity of the attack.

Kacho

Just curious guys... do these mean anything to you?

dmc4nerospeargrab1355xheoj.gif

I'm wondering because apparently it's no longer possible to make inferences from gameplay footage.

Fuck. That's really cool.

Dahbomb

Best way to beat that enemy is to just throw out Round Trip. Shield is taken out instantly and safely.

In fact Round Trip might be one of the most powerful/useful moves in the game. Only caveat to it is that enemies like Drak who can parry your attacks can parry it back at you and well... something funny occurs when that happens.

V_Arnold

Maybe 1/6th of my post discussed combat, and that small paragraph wasn't meant to be an exhaustive analysis of what's possible in the game. I've noticed that the people who keep piling on have had nothing to say about the majority of my impressions, which concern the story, level design, visuals, and other elements that can be plainly observed without playing. Instead there's this idea that I purposefully posted a "review" that was meant to be an authoritative evaluation of the game. And weirdly—you'd think there would be a contradiction in here somewhere—there are also jeers about the fact that I announced ahead of time precisely where I was coming from and why my thoughts on the gameplay should be read skeptically.

I have to say this atmosphere of hostility is puzzling. I get the sense that some of you haven't taken ten seconds to inform yourselves about what I actually said.

So, just to clear things up a bit.

1) I never attacked any part of your posts that was not regarding the combat, except for providing my view on the platforming. But, it has been brought up not by me, and obviously so, that a combat game's merits REALLY cannot be properly understood and judged by looking at a GAMEPLAY VIDEO.

Your reaction to this? You post gameplay bits from other game, clinging to the notion that indeed, you can judge DmC gameplay with those and your demo experience. It could have been very simple to say "okay folks, you are right: I will not say much about the fun factor/depth of the combat, seeing as I only played the demo". That would have been the end of it, and you come out of this as the person who invested a lot of energy in that youtube-based review, and putting energy into something should not be looked down upon.

2) I did not write anything to other parts of the post cause I will not get into a fight with it. I enjoyed the non-combat aspect of the game. It was not surprising, hell, it was not even too daring, but it was enjoyable nevertheless. And if the weaker part of the game is enjoyable, and the combat is genuine awesomeness, then what is the problem? According to me, nothing. So I will not try to argue with you on those points: you are entitled to your own view, so am I.

It would help a lot if we would stop clumping people together to prove a point. I am wrong and was wrong when I tried addressing "fuck you gif-haters" in this thread, when the discussion was already more mature than that. Now it is time to allow the sharing of experiences without the need to group people together and dismiss dozens of viewpoints just by that nature.

(And I don't mean you, V_Arnold.)
Ah, I did not see this edit, even though I just quoted it. Yeah, I hoped it was not me you are talking about, although as admitted, I am just as faulty for still trying to prove a point to "da haters".

Monocle

So, just to clear things up a bit.

1) I never attacked any part of your posts that was not regarding the combat, except for providing my view on the platforming. But, it has been brought up not by me, and obviously so, that a combat game's merits REALLY cannot be properly understood and judged by looking at a GAMEPLAY VIDEO.

Your reaction to this? You post gameplay bits from other game, clinging to the notion that indeed, you can judge DmC gameplay with those and your demo experience. It could have been very simple to say "okay folks, you are right: I will not say much about the fun factor/depth of the combat, seeing as I only played the demo". That would have been the end of it, and you come out of this as the person who invested a lot of energy in that youtube-based review, and putting energy into something should not be looked down upon.

2) I did not write anything to other parts of the post cause I will not get into a fight with it. I enjoyed the non-combat aspect of the game. It was not surprising, hell, it was not even too daring, but it was enjoyable nevertheless. And if the weaker part of the game is enjoyable, and the combat is genuine awesomeness, then what is the problem? According to me, nothing. So I will not try to argue with you on those points: you are entitled to your own view, so am I.

It would help a lot if we would stop clumping people together to prove a point. I am wrong and was wrong when I tried addressing "fuck you gif-haters" in this thread, when the discussion was already more mature than that. Now it is time to allow the sharing of experiences without the need to group people together and dismiss dozens of viewpoints just by that nature.

Ah, I did not see this edit, even though I just quoted it. Yeah, I hoped it was not me you are talking about, although as admitted, I am just as faulty for still trying to prove a point to "da haters".
I don't believe my thoughts on DmC's combat should be taken as seriously as though I'd played the game. I noted in my impressions post that I was talking about a YouTube playthrough for that reason. Like I said earlier, I didn't want to mislead anyone. What I didn't expect was that so many posters would be so eager to mislead themselves. And all for the sake of making a cheap point that we agreed on from the beginning: watching a game is not the same as playing one.

Let's avoid derailing this thread further. I'll have more to add once I've bought DmC.

V_Arnold

I don't believe my thoughts on DmC's combat should be taken as seriously as though I'd played the game. I noted in my impressions post that I was talking about a YouTube playthrough for that reason. Like I said earlier, I didn't want to mislead anyone. What I didn't expect was that so many posters would be so eager to mislead themselves. And all for the sake of making a cheap point that we agreed on from the beginning: watching a game is not the same as playing one.

Let's avoid derailing this thread further. I'll have more to add once I've bought DmC.

Alright. Here is to hoping that you enjoy it : )

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Just beat it, spent all night because it was so much fun.

Seriously impressed with what Ninja Theory pulled off. Many of the environments were just fuck all amazing. The platforming is also a ton of fun as a compliment and balance to the action. There's a couple of dull missions sure, but I really enjoyed the narrative, the bosses and moreso Dante by the end of the game.

The combat doesn't feel as refined as previous DMC's, but it is it's own thing. The fact that it's associated with the DMC series is why people will eventually hate the game. Damn I still can't get over how gorgeous some of the boss fights/environments were.

Personally would give it a 9/10.

As for the rest of the series.
DMC1 - 10/10
DMC2 - 6/10
DMC3 - 9/10
DMC4 - 8/10

kewlmyc

Seriously impressed with what Ninja Theory pulled off. Many of the environments were just fuck all amazing. The platforming is also a ton of fun as a compliment and balance to the action. There's a couple of dull missions sure, but I really enjoyed the narrative, the bosses and moreso Dante by the end of the game.

The combat doesn't feel as refined as previous DMC's, but it is it's own thing. The fact that it's associated with the DMC series is why people will eventually hate the game. Damn I still can't get over how gorgeous some of the boss fights/environments were.

DMC1 - 10/10
DMC2 - 6/10
DMC3 - 9/10
DMC4 - 8/10

Did you play with Matt like you've been doing on your YoVideogames channel?

TheExodu5

Banned
Agreed. I am playing it now. People who bitch about this game need to be committed. Super beautiful, super smooth, super fun. holy shit.

The mechanics and battles are great, but the level design is quite bad and the story is Ninja Gaiden levels of terrible. DMC3 wasn't perfect, but DMC4 was worse in almost every way.

Anteater

Agreed. I am playing it now. People who bitch about this game need to be committed. Super beautiful, super smooth, super fun. holy shit.

The animations are fluid as fuck in dmc4. Only problem is the backtracking, but I didn't mind it, same background in a corridor game, not a big deal to me compare to games with linear corridors with different backgrounds, same shit.

Bosses were pretty weak though compare to dmc3.

LTWheels

We will be going through it together for the channel. However, on this playthru I went solo as I really wanted to learn the combat to show stuff off when we begin filming.

For your filmed play through are you going to play it on one of the harder difficulties? I'm curious to see what Matt's opinion of the game will be when he has played. Based on a couple of your conversations from watching the other dmc play throughs, he seemed much more down on this compared to you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The mechanics and battles are great, but the level design is quite bad and the story is Ninja Gaiden levels of terrible. DMC3 wasn't perfect, but DMC4 was worse in almost every way.

Who cares about story, really? I just don't care. It has awesomely hilarious Dante making sex metaphors to the Mexican Hat Dance. Hater be vanquished.

Level design badness is overstated imo because of how awful the castle is and the backtracking. The opera house -> port -> castle arc is nice, and the forest isn't too bad.

I mean, ultimately, who cares about those elements? All anybody wants is bloody palace.

edit: Agreed that the bosses were weak. I still think I'd rather play DMC4 than 3.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
For your filmed play through are you going to play it on one of the harder difficulties? I'm curious to see what Matt's opinion of the game will be when he has played. Based on a couple of your conversations from watching the other dmc play throughs, he seemed much more down on this compared to you.

I actually played through it all on Nephilim which was the hardest default difficulty, and found it to be perfect. Died every once a while, but the combat puzzles are great. Very well thought out when you have certain enemies combined with others in a small area. Challenging but rewarding for beating it.

Yes. I will never understand the hate it got. The backtracking complaint is dumb, you play as a totally new character with a vastly different move set, it is all new gameplay. DMC4 is right up there with Bayonetta as one of the best action games of this gen.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Yes. I will never understand the hate it got. The backtracking complaint is dumb, you play as a totally new character with a vastly different move set, it is all new gameplay. DMC4 is right up there with Bayonetta as one of the best action games of this gen.

I remember hating on it for those reasons when it came out. However, after finishing it again last week...I really liked DMC4. It's not perfect, but goddamn it does some stuff so well it's hard to ignore.

Dahbomb

DMC: Bloody Palace Edition

Drakavak + Shadows + Hell Vanguard + Blitz

Ghost Rage + Blood Rage + Agni + Rudra

This game HAS to happen.

Also as expected I am getting accused of getting paid off by NT for my 8/10 reviews on other forums. Dem Benjamins... sssooo good.

NT I will up my score by 1 point for more money hatz plz.

DMC: Bloody Palace Edition

Drakavak + Shadows + Hell Vanguard + Blitz

Ghost Rage + Blood Rage + Agni + Rudra

This game HAS to happen.

Also as expected I am getting accused of getting paid off by NT for my 8/10 reviews on other forums. Dem Benjamins... sssooo good.
You picked all the enemies I suck against.
Day 1

NT I will up my score by 1 point for more money hatz plz.

Everyone is paid off these days... in Doritos and Mountain Dew! The new currency.

Trojan X

Banned
Gosh. From everything I've seen so far, the game seems pretty dull in many areas. So disappointed. I was hoping for more but I believe I may have been heavily spoiled by Bayonetta and DMC3. Oh well.

Dahbomb

Sorry, we're British.

Dahbomb, will you accept payment in Frazzles and IrnBru? :)
Peonic I asked you a question on the stream a few days ago but I left before I read the answer.

Has NT addressed or planned to do something about the style gauge/ranking? Also is there something in the title update that will be coming on launch day? I feel that the game could be improved a lot just by having the style ranking go down in grades if you aren't attacking or mixing up moves.

How is the skill buying progression in this game? Is it a little bit "grindy" as in previous DMCs in order to get all the necessary skills?

Also: Yay I finally decided to use an avatar!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Peonic I asked you a question on the stream a few days ago but I left before I read the answer.

Has NT addressed or planned to do something about the style gauge/ranking? Also is there something in the title update that will be coming on launch day? I feel that the game could be improved a lot just by having the style ranking go down in grades if you aren't attacking or mixing up moves.

Maybe they think the style system isn't broken. Having an easier time getting to and maintaining SSS could be part of that "pro gamer magic" they want casuals to experience.

peonic

You didn't miss much - I'm really not allowed to go into what may or may not be coming in future patches. Best I can do is talk to Dom tomorrow and find out when we can get you some more information...

peonic

LOL. Nice. Yeah sorry everyone went crazy in the stream I had going the other day. Those people were freaking brutal.

Watching people hit CTRL-V with their favourite DMC meme gets old real fast. Enjoyed the stream up until that point, was good to watch someone try the game for the first time.

I'd be great if they could add an extra difficulty level that made the style ranking much closer to the previous games. I'd go a long way to help mend the relationship with fans of the older games.

It would be quite trivial to do but the hard part is admitting that the current style ranking isn't exactly perfect.

Dahbomb

You didn't miss much - I'm really not allowed to go into what may or may not be coming in future patches. Best I can do is talk to Dom tomorrow and find out when we can get you some more information...
Alright cool, would love more info and updates on the game.
How is the skill buying progression in this game? Is it a little bit "grindy" as in previous DMCs in order to get all the necessary skills?
You start off getting skill points frequently but towards the end you don't get skill points THAT frequently. I think you are going to need at least a couple walkthrough to get all the skills.

V_Arnold

Now I am wondering about that Day 1 title update that is supposed to come.
Maybe the Demon Dodge scaling "bug" was fixed in it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd go a long way to help mend the relationship with fans of the older games.

It'd fix the game-side issues a little. But it won't fix my issues of no-lock-on, no taunting, and Donte's "edginess" problems.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd be great if they could add an extra difficulty level that made the style ranking much closer to the previous games. I'd go a long way to help mend the relationship with fans of the older games.

It would be quite trivial to do but the hard part is admitting that the current style ranking isn't exactly perfect.

The only thing that's going to mend that relationship is DMC5.

Alright cool, would love more info and updates on the game.

You start off getting skill points frequently but towards the end you don't get skill points THAT frequently. I think you are going to need at least a couple walkthrough to get all the skills.

Isn't it also based off your overall score at the end? Since your get rewarded with them at the end of the missions.

rmanthorp

DMC1 - 10/10
DMC2 - 6/10
DMC3 - 9/10
DMC4 - 8/10

Awesome to hear you liked it. I loved it too. Bit high of a mark for DMC2 there.

Top Bottom