• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

How is the skill buying progression in this game? Is it a little bit "grindy" as in previous DMCs in order to get all the necessary skills?

Also: Yay I finally decided to use an avatar!

Eh, the only truly grindy DMC game in my estimation is DMC4 thanks to the scaling of the Proud Soul system. Maybe, also, the very very beginning of DMC (when Air Raid and Stinger are both extremely important moves to purchase). But DMC3 has an extremely simple curve and it feels like upgrades come along quite regularly and when you need them (well... as long as you mostly ignore the gun upgrades and focus on first buying moves for yourself, then getting DT upgrades, then getting HP upgrades, and finally upgrading your guns the very last).

Dahbomb

Now I am wondering about that Day 1 title update that is supposed to come.
Maybe the Demon Dodge scaling "bug" was fixed in it.
It's hardly a bug... it's an intended feature. Demon Dodge is supposed to increase your damage and since damage on attacks is proportional to its style gain... well you get both from that buff. They might nerf it though.

Drewfonse

Can you bring your upgraded Scronte into new game, or do you have to start fresh with a plain vanilla Flaunte' every time you begin a new game?

I love me some new game plus.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
So far 3 unlockable skins, concept art and the standard extra difficulties. Nothing compared to Bayo.

I think he means by actual content, I mean fluff like that is nice, but the most impressive part of bayonetta content wise wasn't the skins and concept art etc (though old Jeanne custom was pure awesome)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Didn't know there was this much love for DMC4. I thought that game bombed?

Didn't really bomb, at most you could really say it didn't live up to expectation aside from combat, due to backtracking, some of the environments story (though I doubt people cared too much about this one).

mandas

Neo Member
Just beat it, spent all night because it was so much fun.

Seriously impressed with what Ninja Theory pulled off. Many of the environments were just fuck all amazing. The platforming is also a ton of fun as a compliment and balance to the action. There's a couple of dull missions sure, but I really enjoyed the narrative, the bosses and moreso Dante by the end of the game.

The combat doesn't feel as refined as previous DMC's, but it is it's own thing. The fact that it's associated with the DMC series is why people will eventually hate the game. Damn I still can't get over how gorgeous some of the boss fights/environments were.

Personally would give it a 9/10.

As for the rest of the series.
DMC1 - 10/10
DMC2 - 6/10
DMC3 - 9/10
DMC4 - 8/10

So you put in on par with DMC3?

Dahbomb

Didn't know there was this much love for DMC4. I thought that game bombed?
DMC4 is the best selling DMC game...

LMAO @ people thinking it bombed.
Can you bring your upgraded Scronte into new game, or do you have to start fresh with a plain vanilla Flaunte' every time you begin a new game?
This post makes no sense to me. Are those supposed to be nicknames for DmC Dante?

Zaventem

DMC1 is awful compared to the improvements made to the series.Nostalgia really has a strong effect, i tried replaying it with the HD collections and boy did it leave me with a sour taste.

LTWheels

DMC4 is the best selling DMC game...

LMAO @ people thinking it bombed.

This post makes no sense to me. Are those supposed to be nicknames for DmC Dante?

Not a commercial bomb. It sold on its good name, first multiplat dmc, first HD dmc, but more of an opinion bomb after people played it. It did leave a sour taste to a lot of people.

Carbonox

DMC1 is awful compared to the improvements made to the series.Nostalgia really has a strong effect, i tried replaying it with the HD collections and boy did it leave me sour taste.

I still find it to be a fantastic gaming experience. In-fact, getting the Platinum in DMC1 HD made me love it even more than I ever have done and now regard it as my favourite DMC game.

Just beat it, spent all night because it was so much fun.

Seriously impressed with what Ninja Theory pulled off. Many of the environments were just fuck all amazing. The platforming is also a ton of fun as a compliment and balance to the action. There's a couple of dull missions sure, but I really enjoyed the narrative, the bosses and moreso Dante by the end of the game.

The combat doesn't feel as refined as previous DMC's, but it is it's own thing. The fact that it's associated with the DMC series is why people will eventually hate the game. Damn I still can't get over how gorgeous some of the boss fights/environments were.

Personally would give it a 9/10.

As for the rest of the series.
DMC1 - 10/10
DMC2 - 6/10
DMC3 - 9/10
DMC4 - 8/10

Great to see you liked it, Max. Hopefully I Have similar impressions when I pick this up next week.

How much content is in this game in comparison to something like Bayonetta?

Quite a bit. The standard DMC stuff, concept art, higher difficulty settings, unlockables, bloody palace. Also the game demands replay due to its metroidvania like skill concepts that unlock new areas in previous missions. Then there is the Vefgil campaign, but that costs menu unless you got it for free at gamestop.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think he means by actual content, I mean fluff like that is nice, but the most impressive part of bayonetta content wise wasn't the skins and concept art etc (though old Jeanne custom was pure awesome)
I'm aware. Bayo is basically the king queen of content in this genre. I haven't seen anything else come close and the best part was that it was all on the disc day 1. Novel concept.

DMC1 is awful compared to the improvements made to the series.Nostalgia really has a strong effect, i tried replaying it with the HD collections and boy did it leave me with a sour taste.

The only improvements came to the combat system. DMC1 still blows 3 and 4 out of the water in so many areas it hurts.

Damn I'm nostalgic for a game that I first played 3 years ago, and am recently replaying. Better take off my goggles if anyone is going to treat my opinion of it respectfully.

Also my god I popped in Devil May Cry 2 again just to see how that aged and my memory of it was. Wow it's worse then I recalled. If anyone needs to absolutely put hate on any DMC game, my goodness it was that one.

Yeah, I replayed DMC2 when the HD release came out. Not great. Watched your review on DmC - nice job, man!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Need help on a boss.
Ok so I've beaten the game but for some reason I can't beat the Baby boss battle with Lilith. I try and pary the moves from the sound waves and disco ball but nothing happens. I see to be taking forever to drain any health it has.

Dahbomb

Need help on a boss.
Ok so I've beaten the game but for some reason I can't beat the Baby boss battle with Lilith. I try and pary the moves from the sound waves and disco ball but nothing happens. I see to be taking forever to drain any health it has.
It has a blue spot on his body where you can latch on to and start attacking it for good damage.

You know DMC1 got a lot of stuff right when 75+% of my playtime with its sequels is using mostly the same equipment from the first game. My only complaint about DMC1 is some camera angle stuff (which DMC3 has some of that problem as well to be fair, DMC4 much less so).

Dahbomb

I can do that but it still seems to take forever to do. Is there any specific weapon I have to use?
I don't think so. The fight does take quite a while to bring him down because you have to take care of 2 life bars. Try to demon dodge a lot to boost up the damage of your weapons and keep at it.

I saw the DMD stream and out of all the bosses this one took the longest and was the hardest for the guy. I think he might have some extra gimmick that we haven't figured out yet.

Yeah, I replayed DMC2 when the HD release came out. Not great. Watched your review on DmC - nice job, man!

Thanks man! Slight off topic but loved the new episode! Can't wait for more! :D

Anyways back to DmC talk. So was it my understanding that the Vergil DLC won't be at launch but later?

Varth

It's hardly a bug... it's an intended feature. Demon Dodge is supposed to increase your damage and since damage on attacks is proportional to its style gain... well you get both from that buff. They might nerf it though.

Dunno. Arbiter's power, especially when coupled with demon dodge, stood out as a bug to me since the first run as I mentioned earlier in the old thread. If you take that out, the combo system makes perfect sense even comparing it to previous DMCs. Asked it to NT themselves some days ago, actually. Still no answer, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I disagree about that as well. If you did enough homework on something then you can make as good of an argument on the game as someone who played it. The only thing that would be different is talking about secrets that a walkthrough or review wouldn't touch, but discussing something on the core level and what works/doesn't work is entirely possible. I know because I did it. Playing Hitman Absolution and beating it in the last couple of weeks didn't expose me to anything that I did not already know beforehand on a level design or mechanics level, so all of a sudden my old arguments before the game came out suddenly become "valid" just because I played it? Even though nothing changed or was proven wrong? That doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way I only keep bringing up Hitman here because it applies to what we're talking about here.

Knowing the mechanics and design is only that. Knowing the mechanics and design. It doesn't transfer into knowing how a game plays or how good it it.

SkylineRKR

I love DMC1 HD, its graphically and aesthetically still quite pleasing. It has the best level design in the series.

So yeah, I made up my mind. Gonna buy DmC tomorrow and pick up a cheap DMC4 along the way as well.

FYC

Banned

I literally just finished DMC2 again in the HD Collection less than an hour ago. God damn, man. What a disaster.

I'll pick this up when it goes down in price. My backlog is bad enough, once I clear it out I'm looking forward to trying this. Nice review Slasher.

Drewfonse

Can anyone confirm that, once I finish the game, my leveled up Dante can be used to play the game on harder difficulties? Do upgrades and weapons make the jump with you?

Yes, I'm asking if there is new games plus. Thanks.

Varth

Can anyone confirm that, once I finish the game, my leveled up Dante can be used to play the game on harder difficulties? Do upgrades and weapons make the jump with you?

Yes, I'm asking if there is new games plus. Thanks.

Yep, everything stays the same, regardless of the difficulty of your new game. the only difference is that if you choose an harder difficulty level, of course you won't be able to pick a level, you'll have to play start to end.

I find it amazing that a developer who totally ignored this and many other forums during a games development all of a sudden remembered they have a GAF account.

I love when people like JP , Trag and Rubyeclispe when they post here but i find it distasteful with others.

I find it amazing that a developer who totally ignored this and many other forums during a games development all of a sudden remembered they have a GAF account.

I love people like JP , Trag and Rubyeclispe when they post here but i find it distasteful with others.

It's almost like this and many other forums were very hostile totwards that one developer.

/edit/ Case in point right below me.

Moze

Banned
i personally consider ninja theory to be one of the worst AAA developers of all time. they are extremely generic imo

i have a feeling this might get 8/10s though

Top Bottom