• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
QgVtI.gif

glad to be back. Thanks for the nice words.

ikkGrqqjSXfU.gif

Dahbomb

Im going to give credit wheree it is due

Aquila might be the best DMC weapon since agni and rudra and top 25 in action games full stop.

also dreamrunner might be the first Ninja gaiden enemy in a DMC game.
Aquila and Dreamrunner are the 2 best contributions DmC has made to the series. Kablooey is nice too.

Also everyone should be playing on Nephilim. It's "normal" for anyone who has played games before. Devil Hunter is normal for genuine game journalists. I think I died once on Mission#14.

Aquila and Dreamrunner are the 2 best contributions DmC has made to the series. Kablooey is nice too.

Also everyone should be playing on Nephilim. It's "normal" for anyone who has played games before. Devil Hunter is normal for genuine game journalists. I think I died once on Mission#14.

I'm playing on Nephiliem but I've died a handful of times. Nothing too hard though. Trying out normal felt damn easy.

Dahbomb

Dreamrunner? So there's still something in this game I haven't heard of yet? I guess that's nice.
Ah fuk I meant to spoiler that.

Dreamrunner is just a "palette" swap of Drakavak. They are essentially the same enemies. I think Dreamrunner might be a stronger version of Drak but it's hard to say, I haven't had much experience against it.

Also people are seriously thinking I sold out/got money hatted by NT on other boards. Imagine the meltdown if I had given the game 9/10 - 10/10... I would've been branded a traitor and would lose all respect points from the community!

remz

Ah fuk I meant to spoiler that.

Dreamrunner is just a "palette" swap of Drakavak. They are essentially the same enemies. I think Dreamrunner might be a stronger version of Drak but it's hard to say, I haven't had much experience against it.

Also people are seriously thinking I sold out/got money hatted by NT on other boards. Imagine the meltdown if I had given the game 9/10 - 10/10... I would've been branded a traitor and would lose all respect points from the community!

I think the idea that NT would pay a forum poster off is pretty ridiculous, but i don't know

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's all good, enemy names aren't a spoiler, at least for me.

And yes, Dahbomb you obviously got money hatted. Your credibility is at IGN levels.

Just wait until the "Best DMC ever, hold dat dick, haters" reviews start coming in, that's when the accusation of moneyhats start

edit: speaking of moneyhats, welcome back Ezekial

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just wait until the "Best DMC ever, hold dat dick, haters" reviews start coming in, that's when the accusation of moneyhats start

Everyone is getting paid except me. How do I get into the Doritos and money hat business?

chrono01

Are they confirmed to go up in a few hours, or is it going to be one of those random, mid-day uploads? If it is, I might be tempted to stay up a bit later myself tonight/early morning and see how things end up.

Despite the game already being pre-ordered, I am curious as to how the general reviewers will receive it.

antitrop

Are they confirmed to go up in a few hours, or is it going to be one of those random, mid-day uploads? If it is, I might be tempted to stay up a bit later myself tonight/early morning and see how things end up.

Despite the game already being pre-ordered, I am curious as to how the general reviewers will receive it.
I would assume the major players (Polygon, Gamespot, IGN, GameTrailers) will have theirs up at midnight.

I hope.

ezekial45

Banned
Your back! Better put the seatbelt on! Thing about to get bumpy :D

Glad to be back. Saw your reviews, they're very well done. Keep at it!

lol

I knew you'd miss me. I can't wait to see you join the fold.

Dahbomb

I think this is the first time I have played a game before review embargoes went up. Should be fun checking out which reviewers actually played the game and which were obviously influenced by PR.

I can see that the reviews will do well for this. It's at he end of the day devil may uncharted.

Problem is, personally I hate uncharted.

Only review that matters to me Is my own. dahbombs was my first guide and I do agree with a lot of what he said, but I won't know for sure until I have the controller in my own hands.

My copy should come in by tomorrow or on Tuesday. Can't wait to play it. HD collection should be coming soon as well. I'll probably play the new DMC and then go to the old ones.

Pingoreous

Well i just ordered DMC4 from Amazon for cheap. One advantage of skipping a game at launch.
Ive always found that the true reviews come out months after that game has been out. Ive heard many professional reviewers give a real opinion of a game months later when the Hype time has expired. I always hear it on Podcasts when there's no repercussions.

Varth

6-8 hours for genuine gamers. 10 hours for journalists. 15 hours for Tameem.

Not really. 6-8 hours going trough the game fight only, maybe. If you stop to smell the roses on some level* and look for lost souls and keys along the way as I did, basically playing it as an action adventure, 10+ hours is only normal.
Going online this morning with the review. Made a video with all the secret missions to go with it, should anyone care.

*and you should. They did an incredible job on graphic design for some levels. I expect game photographers to have an hell of a time with the PC version.

iavi

The wait till the 25th is so hard right now. fantastic impressions, good reviews, I enjoyed the hell out of the demo. Why can't we PC people ever get day and date releases with console versions? It's usually worse; with it being only a week wait.

It's UE3. Ain't a thing to worry about.

Plenty of UE3 games are shitty experiences on PC, but the studio behind this port did a highly successful port of a recent Capcom fighter I believe.

Why can't we PC people ever get day and date releases with console versions? It's usually worse; with it being only a week wait.

Tell me about it. It's awesome that previously console experiences are now coming to PC regularly but how long until the conception that PC delays somehow stifle piracy drops away?

antitrop

Plenty of UE3 games are shitty experiences on PC, but the studio behind this port did a highly successful port of a recent Capcom fighter I believe
Spec Ops: The Line required you to delete a folder in My Documents or suffer extreme fps issues every boot of the game after the first.

The studio handling the port is QLOC, and they have a great track record. They did Super Street Fighter IV PC, and after DmC they're doing Resident Evil 6 PC.

edgefusion

Good chance I'm way late with this but here's a screenshot of the two new Dante outfits for the Steam DLC:

351436.gif

I think the one on the left looks awesome.

s-bojan

Banned

It is called Drekavac (pronunciation is also different) - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drekavac.
It is funny seeing the enemy being called like that, as the word is still used as a child scare in rural parts of the country.

I don't know what is with Capcom and Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian language this year.
Resident Evil 6 had a lot of enemy names taken from this language(s):
J`avo - from Djavo, meaning the Devil, Demon
Ustanak - from Ustanak, meaning Uprising, Rebellion
Lepotittsa - from L(j)epotica, meaning a Beauty, as in a beautiful woman
Ogroman - from Ogroman, meaning Huge, Gigantic
Strelats - from Str(ij)elac, meaning Marksman, Shooter, Archer
Napad - from Napad, meaning Assault, Attack

Please let the PC port be competent.

Everybody chant with me...

That aside, glad to hear the combat is good if not amazing. Even if it's sub-par compared to DMC4/3/Bayonetta, I'm still happy to have a decent action game to sink my teeth into. The only thing I'm still worried about it the lack of lock-on and whether the game is actually going to be hard enough. What's the concensus about DMD?

Actually, the art style reminds me a lot of Alice: Madness Returns in a good way.

I've not missed dedicated lock on at all, the lack of directional inputs being needed for launchers kinda reduces the need for it. I've not hit the wrong target with a charged Aquila for instance.

Do you know what I like? The combat in this game. Jesus Christ.

This game has the potential to make the stylish brawler genre bigger by opening the minds of new audiences and the industry. It's satisfying as hell to interact with on every level. Unlike Bayonetta (which is my favourite game of all time if that isn't obvious) it doesn't have the brick walls of mastery curve of learning input combos, then learning dodge offsets, then getting the muscle memory down before it really opens wide; I feel the mastery curve is more of a smooth slope from start to finish even if the skill ceiling is ultimately a bit lower.

What really excites me? While Joe and Jen Public are having fun interacting and slowly discovering the combat's possibilities, they are being treated to examples of good looking and complex combos in every loading screen; they will be asking "How do I do that?" and challenging themselves to recreate it. The later versions of these loading screens feature jump cancels. Yeah.

I'm so fucking glad this game exists.

Jintor

I dunno, I'm finding the trigger things more difficult to deal with that Bayonetta's relatively easy inputs. I'm sure I'll adapt to it though...

ArjanN

Do you know what I like? The combat in this game. Jesus Christ.

This game has the potential to make the stylish brawler genre bigger by opening the minds of new audiences and the industry. It's satisfying as hell to interact with on every level. Unlike Bayonetta (which is my favourite game of all time if that isn't obvious) it doesn't have the brick walls of mastery curve of learning input combos, then learning dodge offsets, then getting the muscle memory down before it really opens wide; I feel the mastery curve is more of a smooth slope from start to finish even if the skill ceiling is ultimately a bit lower.

What really excites me? While Joe and Jen Public are having fun interacting and slowly discovering the combat's possibilities, they are being treated to examples of good looking and complex combos in every loading screen; they will be asking "How do I do that?" and challenging themselves to recreate it. The later versions of these loading screens feature jump cancels. Yeah.

I'm so fucking glad this game exists.

Even in the worst case scenario at least this game probably made Ninja Theory better at designing combat in their future games.

Facism

yeh the triggers are something i hated in the demo. I'm hoping that DmC being EU3 someone can mod that shit into a toggle instead of a hold. Hell i'd be happy with the removal of the colour coded enemies needed the right colour weapon.

Finished the game on Nephilim an hour ago. Some quick thoughts:

Pro:

- The most important thing first: It's a really good game. DmC can be judged from many different angles, but I'd say most people with basic interest in the genre would have to try really hard to not get fun out of this game.
- The combat is great in its own right. It's neither 60fps nor does it have the speed or quite the responsiveness of previews games, but NT still managed to create a combat engine that offers enough depth, control and variety to make the game fun to play and learn.
- Only one puzzle in the whole game. Praise the lord!
- Level completion carries over. You only have to collect shit once.
- Great boss designs. The art in general is hit or miss for me, but the bosses all looked really great. Too bad there aren't a lot them in the game.
- Uh, I liked the platforming. I mean it's just mindless filler and shouldn't add anything to the experience, but I somehow enjoyed it.

Con:

- It is way too easy on the initial difficulties. Offering three difficulty options from the get-go where not even highest one offers a good challenge is just odd. I did not die once (I used two golden orbs, though) and that ultimately made the fights fell less intense than they should. Calling the last boss a pushover is also giving him too much credit. I hope Son of Sparda will improve that.
- The game doesn't deliver on the promise of a good story/narrative. Now I wont pretend that I ever gave a rats ass about the fiction of DMC or what color Dante's hair has, but DMC at least used to have cutscenes that were fun and ridiculous enough to watch them once. DmC doesn't have THE CRAY nor is there anything interesting or intriguing about plot. Dante fights demons and Ninja Theory has really amazing performance capturing technology. Now you know everything DmC has to offer inbetween fights.
- Holy shit, the music is annoying. Just eww.
- Too many cutscenes interrupting the gameplay. It's not the end of the world when you only intend to play the game once, but this will get super annoying on consecutive playthroughs.

Overall, this is certainly a good way to start 2013.

Top Bottom