• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While I think the obnoxious never ending hate fest this game received was borderline insanity at times, I do think however that in the end, it only helped the game and probably really pushed Ninja Theory to deliver a more competent action game experience. So I will eat-crow on that front, but I am really happy to see people are actually enjoying it now (for what it is) and seemingly put aside the bullshit reasons to brush off the game entirely. I hope that the dedicated fans get the DMC5 announcement they wanted now...

This is exactly what I'm thinking as well. Really looking forward to sinking into it tomorrow.

V_Arnold

Damn, my girlfriend is playing through Demon Hunter, and I saw her accidentally parry an ice spike back to the mob.... DAMN, that is hot. I wonder if the aoe ground molten stuff can be somehow parried back as well.

Kouichi

Have you guys heard about this? It's a prequel comic about Vergil releasing in France a day after the game comes out.
http://www.xboxfrance.com/news-360-dmc-devil-may-cry-aura-droit-a-sa-bd.html

8262.jpg

Month old news, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Vee_One

Any consensus on which is the better platform (360/PS3)? Any differences with texture quality and slow down?
I really should hold off for the PC version but I want this bad :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any consensus on which is the better platform (360/PS3)? Any differences with texture quality and slow down?

I think they're supposed to be pretty much the same during gameplay but cutscenes seem to have a lot of framedrops on PS3. Obviously that doesn't matter too much so I'd day make the decision based on controller preference.

Biff

So for those who are farther in the game, do you recommend playing on Devil Hunter or Nephilim difficulty?

I am no stranger to the series, but I remember hard being really fucking hard on DMC3. Boss battles in particular.

How is Nephilim? Controller-smashing frustration? Or a fair challenge?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

The nod is going to 360 so far (that I've read). Typical UE3 PS3 deficiencies.

So for those who are farther in the game, do you recommend playing on Devil Hunter or Nephilim difficulty?

I am no stranger to the series, but I remember hard being really fucking hard on DMC3. Boss battles in particular.

Definitely play on Nephilim if you has any experience with action games at all.

I unlocked Son of Sparda after finishing but I think there are another 3 difficulty settings after that too.

Dahbomb

Nephilim is fairly easy nothing too hard. That's the difficulty the game should be played by everyone, not just people who have played action games before. Game has generous checkpoints, easy mode platforming, enemies/bosses don't hit that hard or often.

If you are no stranger to the series then Nephilim is the standard difficulty for you absolutely.

This is BOSS AS FUCK!!!!

This would be my avatar right now if it weren't for the avatar bet...

Man the GB comments for the review is an even worse cesspit than the DmC threads here before the game game out.
It's to be expected when the guy basically admits that he never played DMC3, DMC4 or Bayonetta. He skipped out on genre staples and thinks this stylish game is godlike. It's like playing Halo Reach or Halo 4 for the first time without ever having played Halo 1/2/3 or even COD4 before it. Fans of the series and the genre are not going to take the review seriously and why the hell should they?

Nephilim is fairly easy nothing too hard. That's the difficulty the game should be played by everyone, not just people who have played action games before. Game has generous checkpoints, easy mode platforming, enemies/bosses don't hit that hard or often.

If you are no stranger to the series then Nephilim is the standard difficulty for you absolutely.

This is BOSS AS FUCK!!!!

This would be my avatar right now if it weren't for the avatar bet...

It's to be expected when the guy basically admits that he never played DMC3, DMC4 or Bayonetta. He skipped out on genre staples and thinks this stylish game is godlike. It's like playing Halo Reach or Halo 4 for the first time without ever having played Halo 1/2/3 or even COD4 before it. Fans of the series and the genre are not going to take the review seriously and why the hell should they?

Your right his review carries no weight and yet I see it getting praised smh.

waypoetic

Banned
Does a reviewer need to have played all the games before this one? I'd love to have reviewed DMC, but like Brad, i haven't played the previous games in the series.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does a reviewer need to have played all the games before this one? I'd love to have reviewed DMC, but like Brad, i haven't played the previous games in the series.

Not necessarily, but it gives the reader a context of where you're coming from.

Ein Bear

Normally, if it was a standard game sequel, I'd say no. But in the case of a controversial reboot of a well known series I think it would be appropriate to have someone who's familiar with the previous games reviewing it.

Dahbomb

What's the difference between a reviewer and some regular joe guy on the street who plays games for fun? If the answer is that the reviewer can write and express his feelings better than I am afraid we don't have much of a standard for reviewers these days.

If I wanted a casual person's opinion on DmC, I will go to some college and start randomly asking dudes who have played DmC on their opinion on the game. I mean chances are they haven't played DMC3/DMC4/Bayo either so it would be a good insight on how casuals see the game.

Also there's no Western conspiracy with this game. Game is reviewing the same as DMC4 and lower than DMC3SE/DMC1.

The stylish action genre is a niche genre though like fighting games are. It would be hard to take any review that seriously for that matter because not too many people mess with the genre like that. Not that this game doesn't deserve the praise it's getting, just saying.

It probably helps. But it not being DMC5, I couldn't see it mattering as much. I think the point of this one is to be a starting point for those new to the series, perhaps encouraging those that haven't to go back and play DMC1-4. Maybe driving up more support for a proper DMC5.
What's the difference between a reviewer and some regular joe guy on the street who plays games for fun? If the answer is that the reviewer can write and express his feelings better than I am afraid we don't have much of a standard for reviewers these days.

If I wanted a casual person's opinion on DmC, I will go to some college and start randomly asking dudes who have played DmC on their opinion on the game. I mean chances are they haven't played DMC3/DMC4/Bayo either so it would be a good insight on how casuals see the game.

Also there's no Western conspiracy with this game. Game is reviewing the same as DMC4 and lower than DMC3SE/DMC1.

I'm pretty sure that the hardcore DMC fans know what to expect though and wont really care about reviews outside of the DMC community anyways (as it's apparent in some of the DmC threads, most people would rather just listen to you).

Dahbomb

Even if this was someone's first DmC game, you would be very hard pressed to give it a perfect score. It's no RE4.... it has legit issues.

Deitus

It probably helps. But it not being DMC5, I couldn't see it mattering as much. I think the point of this one is to be a starting point for those new to the series, perhaps encouraging those that haven't to go back and play DMC1-4. Maybe driving up more support for a proper DMC5.

Maybe so, but having played a game in the genre would probably be helpful for establishing a baseline. I just don't see that a review on SFxT by someone who has never played a fighting game before, much less a Street Fighter game, or a review of the upcoming Starcraft 2 expansion by someone who has never played an RTS as being particularly useful content.

I'm not saying it doesn't serve an audience. Certainly there are people out there who have also never played a game in the genre and want to know if its friendly to new players. But for anyone who has played other games in the genre and wants to know how this game compares, it comes off as "I've never had steak before, but this is the best steak I've ever had."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Even if this was someone's first DmC game, you would be very hard pressed to give it a perfect score. It's no RE4.... it has legit issues.

Perfect score or max score or w/e you want to call it doesn't mean it's a perfect game. I wish sometimes people would read the score/rating breakdown for publications. Also, a score is a numerical summary of the review at best. The written review is much more important.

http://www.giantbomb.com/help/

Maybe so, but having played a game in the genre would probably be helpful for establishing a baseline. I just don't see that a review on SFxT by someone who has never played a fighting game before, much less a Street Fighter game, or a review of the upcoming Starcraft 2 expansion by someone who has never played an RTS as being particularly useful content.

I'm not saying it doesn't serve an audience. Certainly there are people out there who have also never played a game in the genre and want to know if its friendly to new players. But for anyone who has played other games in the genre and wants to know how this game compares, it comes off as "I've never had steak before, but this is the best steak I've ever had."
Yea, that's a good point. But I don't think this is Brads first action game, I believe he played DMC1 and 2 (losing interest after 2) and has played other action titles. And this being a new take on the series, it's safe to have someone with little experience of this gen DMC to review it, especially because I think none of the giant bomb guys liked DMC4 anyways.
That's probably true, I haven't played it yet so I have no idea. Just commenting on the merits of someone that isn't necessarily a fan of a series reviewing something.

Dahbomb

Perfect score or max score or w/e you want to call it doesn't mean it's a perfect game. I wish sometimes people would read the score/rating breakdown for publications. Also, a score is a numerical summary of the review at best. The written review is much more important.

http://www.giantbomb.com/help/
I did read the review, that's when I figured out the reviewer really had very little context for the game that he was reviewing.

I never said that he was implying that it was a perfect game. But nothing in the review suggested to me that this game is in the upper echelon of its genre which to me is what should be getting perfect scores or close to it. Yeah ok it's in the top tier action games if the guy has played GoW games, DMC1 and this...

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont even know why some of you people are hellbent on criticizing these reviews. DMC series was done after 4. 4 had a lackluster overall reception just a matter of weeks after it came out. Reviews scored it lower than 3 and fans and gamers in general stated their dislike for it, even saying the reviews were too high and it was more a '7' game (i distinctly remember all these threads and no im not crazy). That was the East's last shot. Now this new one is getting just as good if not better reviews and its a different take on the series and a reboot. It will either sell or it wont. If it doesnt, then nothing has changed and the series will be dead just like it as after 4. If it does sell, great, those that like it get sequels.

kayos90

I did read the review, that's when I figured out the reviewer really had very little context for the game that he was reviewing.

I never said that he was implying that it was a perfect game. But nothing in the review suggested to me that this game is in the upper echelon of its genre which to me is what should be getting perfect scores or close to it. Yeah ok it's in the top tier action games if the guy has played GoW games, DMC1 and this...

Let's see what five stars mean for GB. "While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation." A five star game is a game that is recommended with no hesitation basically. Actually, they're the same thing. So what problem do you exactly have with why he gave the game a five stars. It doesn't matter if you think the game is "in the upper echelon of its genre" or not. For what criteria and description is given for that score, it fits and makes sense.

There's an enthymeme here where you believe that perfect score translates to perfect game or the best in the genre or whatever. Otherwise, I wouldn't have pointed it out otherwise. So, you have a problem with the five stars out of five. In the rhetorical situation that's given, what exactly is your problem?

Dahbomb

I never said that a perfect score means perfect game (this is the second time I am saying this) nor did I say perfect score means BEST in its genre. But a game should be top shelf material in its genre to get that much score, otherwise a perfect score is meaningless.

If a 5/5 is just "I would recommend it" then that to me doesn't mean much. What's the point of a 5 point scale then? Just do a 3 point scale of "Buy it", "Rent it" or "Don't Buy it" then. Or 2 thumbs up, 1 thumb up, no thumb up. Even in their own scale, they essentially say that a 4 star game doesn't live up to its potential... but that would mean that a 5 star game DOES live up to its full potential. That is what I am contesting here... that they feel that DmC lives up to its full potential and I disagree heavily on that.

so the only experience of the guy reviewing DMC is of an 11 year old outdated game and not the two later entries to it. But he can definitely say it's wholly successful reboot of a "nearly forgotten franchise"

I see.
Was about to bring this up as well. Nearly forgotten franchise... when the last game was the highest selling in the series.

so the only experience of the guy reviewing DMC is of an 11 year old outdated game and not the two later entries to it. But he can definitely say it's wholly successful reboot of a "nearly forgotten franchise"

I see.

kayos90

I never said that a perfect score means perfect game (this is the second time I am saying this) nor did I say perfect score means BEST in its genre. But a game should be top shelf material in its genre to get that much score, otherwise a perfect score is meaningless.

If a 5/5 is just "I would recommend it" then that to me doesn't mean much. What's the point of a 5 point scale then? Just do a 3 point scale of "Buy it", "Rent it" or "Don't Buy it" then. Or 2 thumbs up, 1 thumb up, no thumb up.

And I'm saying that it doesn't matter whatever you think a score means or whatever you think. What each thing means is laid out on the table. Your thoughts and opinions have no place in it at all. If you have a problem with their critera, breakdown, or w/e then you're free to disregard them. It's what I do when I disagree with a review criteria. What you're posing is that you disagree with what's on paper and what it stands for in relation to your ideals or perspective.

Honestly, the way you post makes it seem like you didn't even read what I linked or what I posted. Either that or you don't understand. Or you're failing to communicate your thoughts.

Dahbomb

Honestly, the way you post makes it seem like you didn't even read what I linked or what I posted. Either that or you don't understand. Or you refuse to accept what I laid out.
Read the edited portion again. I compared what they think is a 5/5 (game living up to its full potential) vs a 4/5 (a game that doesn't live up to its full potential).

vg260

GiantBomb said:
The best sort of dumb fun is the kind that knows how dumb it is, and I consistently got the sense from Devil May Cry knew that the entire time I was playing it.

I really don't get this vibe at all. I feel like I'm pretty discerning when it comes to this kind of humor, and everything I've seen reeks of a poor attempt at doing dumb/crude for shock value without getting it (i.e. lowest common denominator). To me this game's writing looks like Scary Movie where DMC3 was Airplane.

The combat may be fun, but this is the thing that's keeping me from getting it. It bothers me that much.

kayos90

Read the edited portion again. I compared what they think is a 5/5 (game living up to its full potential) vs a 4/5 (a game that doesn't live up to its full potential).

Yeah. I just read it. This is a solid argument. While you can make a case for it I don't think it would really go anywhere though. That score and what it stands for in relation to DmC is what Brad thinks. It's formed on his preference and his feel of the game. If that's how he feels and there's no change involved then the discussion sort of ends there. In other words, while you may think otherwise, he feels differently from you and as a result there's no point in trying to call him out on it because what he feels is his personal truth whether we want to admit it or not. Of course, if the point is to dissect and discuss for the point of knowledge then that's a different story.

Top Bottom