• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DNA Barcoding study concludes 200,000 years ago there was a catalyst for genetic change after period of mutation stability

appaws

Banned
Everyone knows we are all descended from a hot blonde named Ayla. She also was the first person to ride a horse, invented the atl-atl, the first person to domesticate a wolf, and the first person to figure out that babies were started by a man's organ and not by spirits. She was also super hot.

You just gave Christians the biggest argument for their cause of why you should follow religion.

"Adam and Eve's story TOLD YOU THIS! PRAISE THE LORD"

Last edited:

Uhtred

source.gif

So two people fucked, had 7 kids, 2 of them were daughters. There is so much incest in that story that genetic mutations would be fairly abundant.

Last edited:

I_D

Al Abaster

If humans and 90% of animals suddenly appeared 250,000 years ago, the questions that arise are what existed before them and what led to the extinction of those?

"Science" used to think the whole universe revolved around the Earth. "Science" used to think life ... like maggots ... spontaneously arose from garbage. "Science" thinks things have been around billions of years.

I'm wagering nothing existed before them. Then one day ... there was light. Bang. Big Bang.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anything that long ago is incomprehensible to me. I prefer just to keep an overly simplified version of humanity.

Stone: 10,000 - 2,000
Bronze: 2,000 - 1,200
Iron: 1,200 - 500
Antiquity Greek Half: 500 - 0
Antiquity Roman Half: 0 - 500
Dark Ages: 500 - 1,300
Renaissance: 1,300 - 1,700
Enlightenment: 1,700 - 1,800
Victorian: 1,800 - 1,900
Modern: 1,900 - Release of Metal Gear Solid 2
Post-Modern: Release of Metal Gear Solid 2 to present

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I like the idea that humans were somehow around so far in the past like that. We got some unexplored history.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
being an atheist is a religion if you didn't notice, you believe.

This is probably the dumbest counter-argument to atheism I've seen. The "a" in "atheism" or "ag" in "agnosis" literally means "lack of." Your "lack of religion is a religion!" makes zero sense. Lack of religion is our default state. Anything that comes after that is our attempt at explaining our existence and the meaning of it all. Surprise surprise, a method based on objective, observable evidence and falsifiable, repeatable experimentation tends to conform to reality moreso than the 2,000 year old ramblings of sheep fuckers from the Middle East. But perhaps the biggest difference is: someone who understands this accepts that it's all tentative and subject to change. Everything we know is actually "as best we can tell..." and nobody is afraid to just say we don't know. Gaps aren't filled in with "God did it!" or "his ways are mysterious!"

It's a really silly thing to say as a gotcha statement.

Religion is a belief, you believe in your "facts" is a belief, thats your religion.

That's a silly, overly-broad simplification of religion.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Religion is a belief, you believe in your "facts" is a belief, thats your religion.

Religion is a social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.

If I believe in something that does not mean I am religious. Lay off the weed my dude. I believe your mom is hot, does that make me a religious person? Am I a milfenite?

Last edited:
Religion is a social-cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, worldviews, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.
All this resulting from a belief, thats why a person choose's a religion that suits him.
If I believe in something that does not mean I am religious.
It does you just dont know it.
Lay off the weed my dude. I believe your mom is hot, does that make me a religious person? Am I a milfenite?
Out of contest.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
All this resulting from a belief, thats why a person choose's a religion that suits him.

Out of contest.

You can keep making nonsensical affirmative statements about what you think the definition of religion is, but if you're going to have any sort of meaningful interaction with people, you have to acknowledge that words have accepted meanings and your interpretation of what "religion" means is completely different from the common accepted meaning.

Religion != belief. If you want to use the two interchangeably, fine, but you sound about as sane as someone who thinks a Volkswagen Beetle is a Star Destroyer because they both move people around.

You can keep making nonsensical affirmative statements about what you think the definition of religion is, but if you're going to have any sort of meaningful interaction with people, you have to acknowledge that words have accepted meanings and your interpretation of what "religion" means is completely different from the common accepted meaning.

what is your definition of religion.

Religion != belief. If you want to use the two interchangeably, fine, but you sound about as sane as someone who thinks a Volkswagen Beetle is a Star Destroyer because they both move people around
Out of contest.
This is probably the dumbest counter-argument to atheism I've seen. The "a" in "atheism" or "ag" in "agnosis" literally means "lack of." Your "lack of religion is a religion!" makes zero sense.
Didnt say lack of religion is a religion.

2,000 year old ramblings of sheep fuckers from the Middle East
Dont come in here throwing racist comments.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
what is your definition of religion.

Out of contest.

Didnt say lack of religion is a religion.

Dont come in here throwing racist comments.

1) the definition The Cockatrice The Cockatrice posted which you summarily dismissed for no reason was a pretty good definition.

2) No, it's valid analogy for how you're reducing two very different things to a singular thing that they have in common and saying they're the same thing when they're not. Your boiling down religion to "belief" is absurd.

3) Atheism is literally a lack of religion/belief in God. You said "being an atheist is a religion if you didn't notice." So which is it?

4) The comment isn't meant to be racist but to point out there was a tiny segment of the world where the biggest religions stem from, and it's the Middle East. The people that wrote the holy texts were primitive people. There was and is a whole big world outside of that small area where most of this stuff comes from. No offense to anyone from that region was intended, but other civilizations existed 2,000 years ago too.

1) the definition @TheCockatrice posted which you summarily dismissed for no reason was a pretty good definition.
what definition ?
Nice try religious fanatics.
someone responded.
You have your own religious ideology as well you just don’t know it.
Prove it.

2) No, it's valid analogy for how you're reducing two very different things to a singular thing that they have in common and saying they're the same thing when they're not. Your boiling down religion to "belief" is absurd.
im not reducing anything, just fact, belief is the base.
3) Atheism is literally a lack of religion/belief in God. You said "being an atheist is a religion if you didn't notice." So which is it?
you got that wrong being atheist is not a lack in religion but believing in other things (can be anything).
4) The comment isn't meant to be racist but to point out there was a tiny segment of the world where the biggest religions stem from, and it's the Middle East. The people that wrote the holy texts were primitive people. There was and is a whole big world outside of that small area where most of this stuff comes from. No offense to anyone from that region was intended, but other civilizations existed 2,000 years ago too.
not arguing anything here, too many wrong and ignorance on your part.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
what definition ?
someone responded.
im not reducing anything, just fact, belief is the base.
you got that wrong being atheist is not a lack in religion but believing in other things (can be anything).
not arguing anything here, too many wrong and ignorance on your part.

So you can't be bothered to look at the definition you already quoted and dismissed, then say you're not doing what you clearly are doing without any sort reasoning behind it, then call a comment racist but say you're not even going to respond to the simple facts pointed out to explain what the comment actually was intended to mean. This is some grade A shitposting on your part.

So you can't be bothered to look at the definition you already quoted and dismissed, then say you're not doing what you clearly are doing without any sort reasoning behind it, then call a comment racist but say you're not even going to respond to the simple facts pointed out to explain what the comment actually was intended to mean. This is some grade A shitposting on your part.
being an atheist is a religion if you didn't notice, you believe.
That makes absolutely no sense. I simply am not religious at all. I believe in facts. Keep trying religious fanatics.
If I believe in something that does not mean I am religious.
Lay off the weed my dude. I believe your mom is hot, does that make me a religious person? Am I a milfenite?
Out of contest.
Alright, I was just fucking around but you're clearly a fucking moron so take that as a genuine "religious" belief.
Out of contest, ill be happy to keep the conversation going if its on topic 🙂.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Best to just move on/ignore. He's been clearly brainwashed.

O-N-E

This is probably the dumbest counter-argument to atheism I've seen. The "a" in "atheism" or "ag" in "agnosis" literally means "lack of."

Is there a word for someone who believes there's definitely no creator? That's certainly a belief.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Is there a word for someone who believes there's definitely no creator? That's certainly a belief.

See the post right above yours. Also, to correct myself (early morning with baby and no coffee), "gnosis" is the the word agnostic comes from, so it's not "ag" it's "a" gnosis. I'm caffeinating myself now...

Anyway, atheism is a broad term. A gnostic atheist is claiming to know there is not a God, which certainly is a belief, but it can hardly be called a religion when you look at all the factors that contribute to what a religion is and what it takes to be a "hard/gnostic atheist."

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Atheists pontificating on religion is always entertaining.

Because no atheist was ever religious at any point in their lives? What's funny is religious people pontificating on what it is to be an atheist, when very few religious people are raised atheist. The opposite is likely true of atheists: most were probably raised in some religion and left it behind at some point.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
People in general have strong beliefs at the core of their beings. You have to believe in something. Even if that something is just the latest scientific consensus.

iconmaster

Banned
Because no atheist was ever religious at any point in their lives? What's funny is religious people pontificating on what it is to be an atheist, when very few religious people are raised atheist. The opposite is likely true of atheists: most were probably raised in some religion and left it behind at some point.

Atheists always want to hear from those who walked away from religion, but never those who journeyed in reverse. I did my time as an atheist, had my big book on refuting theistic arguments.

We don't particularly worry about you, though. IME, atheists are usually closer to the faith than those who are simply indifferent. You care about truth. Keep digging.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Atheists always want to hear from those who walked away from religion, but never those who journeyed in reverse. I did my time as an atheist, had my big book on refuting theistic arguments.

We don't particularly worry about you, though. IME, atheists are usually closer to the faith than those who are simply indifferent. You care about truth. Keep digging.

I actually do want to hear from those who go the opposite way. I think there's a natural tendency to move around on the spectrum, and pick sides, and sometimes in so doing people go overboard with it. Especially as a hot-headed youth, I think I was guilty of that. I'm much more accepting of people's faith and spirituality now, inasmuch as it's a healthy part of their lives. But for some people, some faiths can make them absolutely neurotic. I grew up in a devout Mormon family so I'm quite aware of how a fundamentalist religion can fuck with people and cause lasting damage. But I'm also aware that it's not the only thing out there or representative of religion as a whole.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Flashback to a couple of hours ago....

I don't see a conflict here. To me the Abrahamic religions come from that. Also, if people practice their faith in a healthy way that enhances there lives, and don't push it on other people, I'm not going to look down on them. What works for someone else doesn't have to work for me.

Top Bottom