• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do a Barrel Roll! (MLB2K9 is Broken Edition)

Shit like this is why I'm glad I bought a PS3...just for baseball.

MLB should be pissed and strip them of the rights with now 3 huge turds in a row.

eznark

Banned
2K did that shit house GM game this year too right? I bought that POS for the PC. My God what an awful mess. Played it once and it didn't recognize the benefits of a Bill Hall/Russ Branyan platoon. Uninstalled immediately.

Outcast2004 said:
MLB should be pissed and strip them of the rights with now 3 huge turds in a row.

According to one of the guys from the MLB09 team MLB isn't going to be doing anymore exclusive contracts. So once 2K's contract expires that's it. Of course 2K's contract runs through the 2012 season.

This is the second time 2k released a dead product and hoped to prop it up later via updates after their money train already takes off.

Its complete bullshit.

This is why exclusive contracts are bullshit. Even if you don't want to blame EA or 2K for bidding on them, government-granted monopolies like the MLB and NFL should never be allowed to offer them in the first place.

SolidSnakex said:
According to one of the guys from the MLB09 team MLB isn't going to be doing anymore exclusive contracts. So once 2K's contract expires that's it. Of course 2K's contract runs through the 2012 season.

Fuck me.

eznark

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
This is the second time 2k released a dead product and hoped to prop it up later via updates after their money train already takes off.

Its complete bullshit.

2nd time in a month. Billy Beane GM basball mess was indeed a 2K product.

This is why exclusive contracts are bullshit. Even if you don't want to blame EA or 2K for bidding on them, government-granted monopolies like the MLB and NFL should never be allowed to offer them in the first place.

I actually don't think the NFL has the same type of government granted rights as the MLB.

SolidSnakex said:

If EA gets the opportunity to do MVP again, it may give The Show a run for it's money.
2K's efforts have been terrible. Their opportunity to run with a sport after losing football fell flat on it's face.

eznark

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
If EA gets the opportunity to do MVP again, it may give The Show a run for it's money.
2K's efforts have been terrible. Their opportunity to run with a sport after losing football fell flat on it's face.

As long as EA gives it the NHL treatment and not the Madden treatment. Imagine how rad it would be to have a team like in NHL09?

eznark said:
As long as EA gives it the NHL treatment and not the Madden treatment. Imagine how rad it would be to have a team like in NHL09?
i keep hearing a lot about NHL09, is it THAT good?

(Bear in mind I'm not a huge hockey fan...Cleveland has no NHL exposure)

2real4tv

SolidSnakex said:
315ldep.gif

I can't stop laughing:lol :lol :lol

eznark

Banned
I am a huge hockey fan, but not an NHL fan. (Milwaukee missed out on the Whalers by a fraction so I'm a college guy). The game really is fantastic, but the only huge improvements over 08, which was the best sports game of last year, is the online. If you aren't interested in the online but just want a flavor of how awesome the game is pick up 08 which is probably like $10 at this point, especially since you don't care about the rosters.

I do love hockey games though, always have, so my opinion may be skewed.

Also, Columbus is only two hours away!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does MS have a non-compete deal with whoever they sold their sports games to?

If not, why don't they seize the opportunity to make their own MLB game again? Platform holders are exempt from the exclusivity contract 2K has (as we obviously see with Sony).

eznark said:

Time will tell of course but the new Madden team seems to be as focused as the NHL team about being more "realistic" in it's approach to the sport. It's about damn time too. A lot of this change has come about with Peter Moore at the helm.

codecow

Those bugs are great. To me it looks like they have the old:

I'm playing a motion captured asset which translates and/or rotates the character but I'm not updating the object to world matrix; instead I'm looking for transition points where I can pop it to a known value except WHOA I got interrupted and I missed the transition point - bugs.

Makes me want to work on a baseball game again (not that one)... Are you listening evil masters?

I still remember the glitch video from either 2K7 or 2K8 with the player sliding into home, but starting his slide from 2nd base and going all the way through the backstop.

I almost pissed my pants laughing. :lol

eznark

Banned
storybook77 said:
Time will tell of course but the new Madden team seems to be as focused as the NHL team about being more "realistic" in it's approach to the sport. It's about damn time too. A lot of this change has come about with Peter Moore at the helm.

Every year I get excited about the new exciting things Madden is doing. Every year it is the third best sports game.

eznark said:
Every year I get excited about the new exciting things Madden is doing. Every year it is the third best sports game.

The same could've been said about NHL or even Triple Play before they completely changed design teams and in Triple Play's case, the name.

eznark

Banned
storybook77 said:
The same could've been said about NHL or even Triple Play before they completely changed design teams and in Triple Play's case, the name.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying that I am now skeptical until proven otherwise.

Barrett2

TheJollyCorner said:
I still remember the glitch video from either 2K7 or 2K8 with the player sliding into home, but starting his slide from 2nd base and going all the way through the backstop.

I almost pissed my pants laughing. :lol

Wut? I need to see this. :lol

DuMaurier

Holy crap, 2K Sports somehow made a game worse than NHL 2K9. The Wii version had a bug that caused franchise move to crap out after a few games, 2K Sports response was to tell people that bought the game to just avoid certain game modes - like franchise! Thanks assholes!

These guys used to make the best freaking sports games. I think it's finally time to admit that these aren't the same guys that made the 2K games for the Glorious Dreamcast.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
God I wish The Show team would spin off and do a football game. They're just a cut above every other sports franchise.

i just checked wikipedia on this game and just noticed this:

Big Bug on PC Version

This game can't install on non-english windows system.

:lol :lol :lol seriously, were they drunk?

timetokill said:
:lol :lol

AWESOME.

I guess I'll stick to MLB Power Pros :lol

i forgot about power pros. i kinda wanted to get the wii edition last year but it came out like half way through the baseball season. i want would prefer it come out right around the start of the season. also is there a way for the rosters on pro to update?

eznark

Banned
DeeVoc said:
God I wish The Show team would spin off and do a football game. They're just a cut above every other sports franchise.

Damn shame they can't figure out online or voice chat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Holy shit at the barrel rolls :lol

this game is complete shit, MLB the show is amazing

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Like I've been saying, 2K needs to give up their internal baseball game and just commission Konami to do a MLB version of PYS if they want to give a comparable experience to The Show.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DuMaurier said:
Holy crap, 2K Sports somehow made a game worse than NHL 2K9. The Wii version had a bug that caused franchise move to crap out after a few games, 2K Sports response was to tell people that bought the game to just avoid certain game modes - like franchise! Thanks assholes!

These guys used to make the best freaking sports games. I think it's finally time to admit that these aren't the same guys that made the 2K games for the Glorious Dreamcast.

It's a glitch in 2k9 that if you start a franchise, you can't play any playground modes at all. If you do, all the rules are set to off when you go back to your franchise and you can't change it.

NBA2K9

Barrett2

Honestly, its games like this that show how valuable reviews can and should be in warning people. If I were a 14 year old kid and this was the one game I got for the next few months, I would be pissed!

Wizman23

Banned
Outcast2004 said:
i keep hearing a lot about NHL09, is it THAT good?

(Bear in mind I'm not a huge hockey fan...Cleveland has no NHL exposure)

NHL 09 is PHENOMINAL...and I'm from Cleveland too. We don't need NHL exposure we have LeBron:D

Wow! That's too bad. TBH after playing the demo for both it was obvious that "the show" had better grafx and more polish, but 2K9 PLAYED better, at least IMO. I found the hitting mechanic in "the show" to be too difficult and annoying.

Chrange

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Holy shit at the barrel rolls :lol

this game is complete shit, MLB the show is amazing

Yeah, no bugs there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwrZGGdHAzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVWd1hx_NbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I81sV8632O8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RujfGhejAlw - does the ball just not come down? :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M52ubN9--Rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybPLUQklWqU - I know, that one's not a glitch, he's just holding out for more pay

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
lowrider007 said:

Now, hold on a minute! You guys don't remember Kirby Puckett using the trap door behind home plate after hitting that walk off home run in game 6 of the '91 World Series to beat the Braves?

I'm disappointed in you people....

GQman2121

Banned
storybook77 said:

To be fair though, the Madden team does a good job every season of hyping what ever BS features or changes they're making or trying to make to the series. It's burn after burn no matter who they add to their team. The core problems still continue to pop up.

However, Ian Cummings latest blog about the game play speed changes for this season do look and sound like quite the breakthrough for the series.

And this MLB shit is just too funny. What's not funny is that I can't bat worth a damn in The Show. I'm averaging less than 4 hit per 9 innings. :(

GQman2121 said:
To be fair though, the Madden team does a good job every season of hyping what ever BS features or changes they're making or trying to make to the series. It's burn after burn no matter who they add to their team. The core problems still continue to pop up.

However, Ian Cummings latest blog about the game play speed changes for this season do look and sound like quite the breakthrough for the series.

And this MLB shit is just too funny. What's not funny is that I can't bat worth a damn in The Show. I'm averaging less than 4 hit per 9 innings. :(

Ian and co. are also backing their shit up with vids showing what changes have been made instead of just saying it without showing us any proof.

Top Bottom