• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do a Barrel Roll! (MLB2K9 is Broken Edition)

SolidSnakex said:
315ldep.gif

Ok so if this happened in a real baseball game I would totally watch more of the sport.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:lol

the glitches get better every year

Drek

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Wow! That's too bad. TBH after playing the demo for both it was obvious that "the show" had better grafx and more polish, but 2K9 PLAYED better, at least IMO. I found the hitting mechanic in "the show" to be too difficult and annoying.
Slow down the pitch speed so you have more time to recognize what kind of pitch it is maybe?

GQman2121 said:
And this MLB shit is just too funny. What's not funny is that I can't bat worth a damn in The Show. I'm averaging less than 4 hit per 9 innings. :(
I had a hard as hell time batting in The Show when I first started playing it, and I used to play World Series Baseball on the OG Xbox with aiming on (a much smaller aiming reticule than what The Show gives you).

A big part of the problem is how accurately they recreate pitch speed, and the fact that even on veteran the AI isn't dumb enough to throw you meatballs if you chase trash.

I've gotten much better now and average between probably 8-12 hits a game with on average probably about 2 or 3 doubles and 1 or two homeruns.

The big thing is that you aren't going to T off on an ace if he's having a good day. Its supposed to be realistic and if Roy Halladay is dropping his pitches on the black, well, you're kinda fucked (unless you pitch a gem yourself). I faced Halladay when he was having an excellent game back on Monday and only managed two runs on five hits with zero walks (he went 8, one hit came in the 9th). Luckily Harden manned the F up and was hitting all his spots for me that game, so I threw a shutout with 11 K's.

My approach at the plate is to first do a little scouting on the pitcher before the game. How many pitches does he have? Is he a sinker ball type, a power fastball guy, etc.. Think about that when you start the game because its important. I'm a Sox fan so I play the Yanks a ton, here's a few examples based on their pitching staff.

Sabathia/Chamberlain - I love facing these two guys. They both have limited pitch selections and basically work off their 4-seam fastball. So all I do is call the 4-seam every single pitch, and if the pitch indicator doesn't sound off I know they're going off-speed. Timing swings gets a lot easier with that knowledge. Since they like their sliders and curves, and a high slider is hard to land for a strike, I typically call low on location. If its not a fastball and its not low you're pretty safe to take the pitch, unless you see a dead fish that's going to break straight down the plate for you.

Wang - he's a sinker baller and I absolutely feast on sinker ballers. They work a basic mix of the 4 seam with the sinker, and typically only go to their other pitches as a change of pace. So its not too different from the above power guys with limited repetoirs. Call low (protection from the sinker) and call 4 seam. If he's going 4 seam in a hitters' count he's probably throwing you a fastball up in the zone, a great ball to shoot for the fences on. If it isn't the fastball and it's coming in low on non-pitcher's counts its probably the sinker, so you can predict the curve and speed and loop it into the outfield.

Burnett/Hughes - these two give me the most problems, especially Burnett. They have big pitch repetoirs, can spot them anywhere in the zone (especially Burnett, he doesn't fear throwing you a 98 mph fastball high in the zone), and have a secondary fastball (2 seamer for both I believe). With them I typically call for the location on the same side as their throwing arm (both are righties so thats inside for a right handed batter, outside for a left handed batter) because thats the shortest distance for them to the catcher's mit and therefore your hardest location to time. Then I just try my best to figure out what they're trying to work me with. I typically start by calling 4-seams but if they start hitting me with a ton of 2 seamers or curve balls on the black I might change to something else.

The biggest thing is that I find its better to watch balls you're unsure of than to swing away, unless you're facing a 0-2 or 1-2 hole. If you swing at everything you think might be a ball you'll get the umpire to start widening the strike zone on you and the pitcher will start throwing you nothing but junk, expecting you to chase. As a rule of thumb, unless I call pitch and location I take until he throws me a strike. Then I'll get aggressive enough to swing if I call just one of the two and feel like I'm timing it well. Only when I'm facing a two strike count will I consider swinging at something I haven't called or see obviously coming down the middle of the plate.

eznark

Banned
Drek said:
Sabathia/Chamberlain - I love facing these two guys. They both have limited pitch selections and basically work off their 4-seam fastball. So all I do is call the 4-seam every single pitch, and if the pitch indicator doesn't sound off I know they're going off-speed.

The reason pitch calling should not be an option online.

Torgo

Ninja Scooter said:
MLB needs to force Sony to make The Show multiplatform.

In my opinion, that would make the game start moving downhill. They'd have to generalize a lot about the development process to make it work on the 360, and they'd be limited by the media limitations of standard DVD ie the game is made from the ground-up for the PS3.

Also, the reason that a game is exclusive like The Show is ultimately to get someone to BUY their respective console for said exclusive game. That's the reason the MS shells-out so much money to secure the exclusives that they have.

Zezboob

Chrange said:
You wasted your time, people will not pay attention to your post. It would not be funny if MLB09 The Snow wasn't better, in bug wise.

Torgo said:
In my opinion, that would make the game start moving downhill. They'd have to generalize a lot about the development process to make it work on the 360, and they'd be limited by the media limitations of standard DVD ie the game is made from the ground-up for the PS3.

Also, the reason that a game is exclusive like The Show is ultimately to get someone to BUY their respective console for said exclusive game. That's the reason the MS shells-out so much money to secure the exclusives that they have.

I think he was kidding.

JBuccCP

It would have been awesome if he descended into the field after hitting the ball and popped back up at each base on his way around to score.

FF_VIII said:
Videos still work for me

Wierd. What happens exactly. I was getting "We're sorry this video is no longer available." for all three. They are back up at this moment. Did anybody else get a "no longer available." message?

Birbo

Didn't MS buy the rights to High Heat baseball? Know it isn't gonna happen, but I wish they'd use that license and give us a decent baseball game instead of this crap.

Ridli

Birbo said:
Didn't MS buy the rights to High Heat baseball? Know it isn't gonna happen, but I wish they'd use that license and give us a decent baseball game instead of this crap.

We're going to need another "IT'S SOOOO REEEEAL" commercial if this happens.

Anyway, this is pretty hilarious, the outfielder antics in particular are too funny.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Am I the only one who really wants to go out and buy this game now? :lol :lol :lol

If I was guarenteed to run into a glitch that was as hilarious as the ones in this thread in every game I played, I would be laughing non-stop!

Drek

eznark said:
The reason pitch calling should not be an option online.
I'd agree with that. Against another player a lot of very good pitchers become very one dimensional.

Glad I'm a Red Sox fan though. :D All our boys throw four or five pitches, even Paps and Oki out of the bullpen.

The only thing I can think of that you could do online to negate pitch calling would be to significantly vary your pitch speeds, and by significant I mean bouncing from the first pixel of yellow for one pitch, to the very end of the bar on the next. You'd create a pretty solid difference there, enough to screw up someone's timing, and you'd still technically be throwing the same pitch.

Returners

GQman2121 said:
And this MLB shit is just too funny. What's not funny is that I can't bat worth a damn in The Show. I'm averaging less than 4 hit per 9 innings. :(

Thats normal (and higher than the pros too)

eznark

Banned
Drek said:
I'd agree with that. Against another player a lot of very good pitchers become very one dimensional.

Glad I'm a Red Sox fan though. :D All our boys throw four or five pitches, even Paps and Oki out of the bullpen.

The only thing I can think of that you could do online to negate pitch calling would be to significantly vary your pitch speeds, and by significant I mean bouncing from the first pixel of yellow for one pitch, to the very end of the bar on the next. You'd create a pretty solid difference there, enough to screw up someone's timing, and you'd still technically be throwing the same pitch.

I just go to the "pitch calling off" rooms and find games in there.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Top Bottom