• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do All Xbox One Exclusive Launch Games have Microtransactions?

QaaQer

I think the list so far is Ryse, Forza, Crimson Dragon, Killer Instinct, Lococycle, & Powerstar Golf.

Not sure about Kinect Sports.

Xbox Fitness is subscription.

Zoo Tycoon and Dead Rising 3 have none afaik.

Is the addition of F2P style micro-transactions to avoid "grind" becoming mandatory on Microsoft published games?

So far we have seen:
Forza
...such tricks appear a little unsavoury, and in Forza 5, mechanics greedily smuggled from free-to-play games trample over the elegant RPG elements the series once embraced so effectively.
EG Review

Crimson Dragon
There's the option to grind, of course, and come back to levels with more firepower at your fingertips. And if you don't want to grind, you're covered by micro-transactions, with Crimson Dragon's economy another facet of Microsoft's bold redefinition of free-to-play gaming.
EG review

Ryse
Ryse includes Booster Packs similar to those in FIFA Ultimate Team. You can buy these packs, which include armour items for use in multiplayer, with in-game currency and real world currency
. EG Article

Killer Instinct suddenly does not look so crap now because at least you don't have to pay for the base game... and the one character everyone else has.

eurogamer said:
Here's where Microsoft's blanket policy of micro-transactions for its first-party Xbox One games comes in, because equipment (and consumables) only come in random booster packs which you buy for game gold, and you guessed it, gold is earned slowly but is also available to buy. (You can also use game gold to buy the single-player upgrades if you like, but you won't really need to.)

destructoid said:
Another unfortunate addition [to Powerstar Golf] is the presence of microtransactions. For a fee, you can buy "booster packs" that will randomly grant you outfits, one-time boosts, and permanent pieces of equipment (read: golf clubs). Now, in some games (mostly PVE or co-op based titles), the addition of microtransactions wouldn't bother me so much.

But in a competitive title like Powerstar, it simply feels wrong to offer players the ability to get ahead if they spend a little bit of cash. If you're the kind of person who just wants to enjoy the game by yourself, it's entirely possible here with a bit of grinding, but for everyone else you may feel the sting of this DLC model.

There is no micro-transactions in KI like there is in other MS games. There is no buying currency or anything like that.

The way the game is structured is that it's a free download with one character. You can then buy the entire game for $20, or buy the character's individually for $5 each. My understanding is that once you have purchased $20's worth of characters, the rest become free downloads. There is also a 'collectors edition' for $40, that also contains some alternative costumes and the original arcade game.

Doffen

Putting Microtransactions in retail games are BAD!
Bad, Microsoft!

And those who buy those should be slapped with a glove across their face.

Skeff

So you are talking about F2P consumable style microtransactions.

An example of Forza is You need to earn a million dollars to buy a car and get 100k for winning a race, If you buy a power up using real money you can double the cash earned in game cutting the grind in half. It's dirty.

Jonty

Dead Rising 3's just got a season pass. KI is F2P-ish, so not really microtransactions. Fairly sure Zoo Tycoon doesn't have anything.

JaggedSac

An example of Forza is You need to earn a million dollars to buy a car and get 100k for winning a race, If you buy a power up using real money you can double the cash earned in game cutting the grind in half. It's dirty.

Forza 4 had that too I think.

QaaQer

So you are talking about F2P consumable style microtransactions.

In-app-purchases, so yeah f2p kind of stuff, not separate gameplay addons like Dawnguard/Ballad of Gay Tony/etc. For me, the important part is that I-A-P have a tendency to hurt game design, whereas DLC does not. Although sometimes DLC is just IAP in disguise, like in Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Xater

It's pretty deplorable. Seems to be a MS initiative for this gen. This shit has no place in games people pay good money for. If you try to excuse it as a "time saver" then maybe you should design your game in a way that it is not a chore to play!

AHA-Lambda

Crimson Dragon even has them?

ibotN18KxoB2Fc.gif

Skeff

Anyone else surprised no gaming websites are running with this considering that they have played all of the games and the embargos are up?

Eusis

Really does make it seem like even if Microsoft fixes one thing I find abhorrant they'll just throw in other stuff I feel about as badly about. Knack may've been only somewhat above average, but at least it lacked microtransaction garbage.

... Still had grinding bullshit in the form of an optional iOS game that could've screwed up the balance of earning parts in the main game, but that stuff was far from essential for beating the game anyway, and it wasn't demanding more of your money in the process at least.

QaaQer

Dead Rising 3's just got a season pass. KI is F2P-ish, so not really microtransactions. Fairly sure Zoo Tycoon doesn't have anything.

So I'll put those in the 'no' category. Really glad to hear about Zoo, becaue IAPs in kids games are borderline evil.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Could you tell me what do these microtransactions consist of, for each game? I'm quite interested and curious for this.

Xater

Could you tell me what do these microtransactions consist of, for each game? I'm quite interested and curious for this.

In Ryse you can basically bypass the character progression by just straight up buying upgrades for real money.

Anyone else surprised no gaming websites are running with this considering that they have played all of the games and the embargos are up?

Nobody called out Candy Crush for turning Bejeweled into pure evil.

Press had the power to call bullshit on devs who were trying to scam people's money, none of them actually do it, even from devs who aren't even major publishers.

QaaQer

Well, they have mentioned zero problems with the underlying tech despite live streams all being borked and CBOAT's warning of an ass storm, so not surprised at all.

Ok, someone start tweeting SONY about this, I WILL NOT accept any sort of crappy microtransaction on PS4 if that happens, I am done with gaming. I gave up iOS gaming because of it and I sure as shit aint supporting this crap on consoles.

DLC is another thing, its new maps or a whole new mission etc. but if they are "gimping" games from the start just so they can sell me a sword, car, or any other typ of item that is actually making the game fun to play, then I am done.

I guess I could let it slip if the game is priced at like 10 dollars or something but if it is full price then I expect to get a full game with all the bells and wissels

Bor

Neo Member
Well, they have mentioned zero problems with the underlying tech despite live streams all being borked and CBOAT's warning of an ass storm, so not surprised at all.

what do you mean by livestreams being borked ? ( Im not a native speaker) The twitch.tv delay ?

Discusguy

That's how DLC was first presented to us.

Now it can all cost you the game price and more these days.

That's exactly how I remember it. The reasons I don't buy certain games day one or play online.

Microtransactions are the future of gaming just as DLCs are today.

Eusis

So I'll put those in the 'no' category. Really glad to hear about Zoo, becaue IAPs in kids games are borderline evil.
Well, I'd think Killer Instinct technically counts, but the nature of the game makes it more permissible: it's not buying to get an advantage short of a larger character roster, and the base product is free. Basically it's just one of the potential models for F2P design and one of the more benign ones at that, not like something like Forza that seemingly does the opposite and demands them to make progress in reasonable time (though people say that's been overblown for the series? We'll see once a week passes perhaps.)

Huggers

Putting micro transactions in games is hugely short sighted. People aren't fools. The second they're asked to spend money they more often than not become disinterested. Very poor form from Microsoft. Even Ryse has this

A lot of gamers use the fact mobile games are full of micro-transactions and "F2P Gateways" as a giant excuse to not even play these type of games. Wonder if the perception of these will change as we head to a future where the lines are seemingly beginning to blur.

I personally don't find these things offensive in cheap or even free mobile game I play (I haven't paid for anything, yet.) and don't really have a problem with the practice in general myself but it'll be interesting to see if people hold their staunch opposition as it bleeds into full priced games.

dani_dc

According to eurogamer it's 110K per series (which takes nearly an hour). Not per race.

Top Bottom