• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do All Xbox One Exclusive Launch Games have Microtransactions?

QaaQer

I don't know why some people are assuming Microsoft has some sort of mandatory microtransaction policy for all of their first party games; it's simply not true.
Eurogamer:
Here's where Microsoft's blanket policy of micro-transactions for its first-party Xbox One games comes in, because equipment (and consumables) only come in random booster packs which you buy for game gold, and you guessed it, gold is earned slowly but is also available to buy. (You can also use game gold to buy the single-player upgrades if you like, but you won't really need to.)

Can't believe MS are mandating this shit for first party titles and again, when the games press should be loud and clear in their criticisms of this, all you can hear is a whisper.

That will help turn what is a creep towards microtransactions into a flood before we know it. Cheers.

KI's is fine. It is like something like Zen Pinball, or Pinball Arcade, where you get a base game and can unlock additional content. Basically it's a free base game with DLC.

The rest, though, is ick. It doesn't matter if it is optional. It matters if it affects the enjoyment of the game by the "average" gamer. Now I know that is hard to nail down, but basically if the game's pace is pleasant (not too rapid as to feel unearned, not too slow as to feel grindy) for the maximum number of gamers then offering micro-transactions as an "impatience tax" is fine.

The problem is that we don't know if developers will find that sweet spot consistently. The RMAH in Diablo 3 sure as heck did not (a different sort of micro-transaction, in terms of a %age of sales to the developer) and there is little doubt it affected the pace of the game negatively.

I'm also uneasy about how the desire to create a steady stream of revenue from micro-transactions could affect the game over time. Not trending high enough for the month? Do a micro-patch to slow down the progression a little bit. Now for something like Forza where you get a fixed amount of credit per series this would be immediately spotted but for something like Diablo 3 lowering the drop rate could be done and, for a while, gotten away with.

MadSexual

They seem to have been introducing this slowly for a while now with their second-tier releases. Fable III had a fait amount of trivially priced DLC. Not much of stretch from here to see Halo 5 launch with microtransactions.

taoofjord

I can't express enough how thoroughly disgusting micro-transactions are in games that are not free to play.

What Microsoft is doing is dooming the more niche games by pushing these sleazy business practices onto gamers that know better. The hardcore type of gamers that look for these "B" level games won't stand for it as easily as the casual/mainstream gamers do. For me, games like Crimson Dragon having them means I'll be skipping them completely.

The big must-haves AAA games, though, can typically get by with whatever kind of micro-transaction they shoehorn into it, and the publishers know it. The whole thing is so incredibly sad and the younger generation that has grown up with it and sees this practice as normal is going to make it even easier for them to continue pushing it on the hardcore gamers.

I really hope Sony doesn't take this route too, but there's no reason they wouldn't eventually. In the end, though, great games will always be made no matter how much more broken the industry gets.

coldfoot

Banned
DLC like GTAIV is fine, KI is fine, but any game where it's an open ended spend to get coins and shit needs to be F2P (and fail). Full priced + buy coins in bullshit. I don't even touch FUT mode in Fifa for this reason.

I don't know why some people are assuming Microsoft has some sort of mandatory microtransaction policy for all of their first party games; it's simply not true.

Why is assuming they don't have this policy any better than assuming they do? Which upcoming games don't have microtransactions?

I have a PS4, GTA6 will have microtransactions. This problem isn't confined only to Xbox.
Indeed. Is it confirmed that GT6 has undergone a design philosophy change that causes money to be more dear this time around? Because that's what has happened with Forza.

Repeating this from the Forza thread because it's topical:
Look, guys, I don't think that the only thing we should be taking from this is that the tokens have a stupid, disingenuous pricing table. I think the far more important takeaway is that we are seeing a full retail title rely so heavily on microtransactions in the first place. According to a few reviews I've seen, Forza 5 deviates from previous entries insofar as one's ability to earn credits quickly has been drastically reduced to push these transactions--a practice eerily similar to many F2P games. From what I understand, it's hard to make over 100,000 tokens in an hour, while several great cars cost in the million credit range. So you essentially can grind for ten hours for one car, or you can pay a couple of dollars/Euros for the pleasure of owning a car in a game you paid $60 for.

The main issue is that this iteration has been downgraded in the number of cars and tracks available in the game along with the addition of far more grinding to get what you want. There is less content that they are forcing you to play more to get less rewards than previous entries. I for one think it's despicable, and am glad that they aren't seeing a dime of my money this time around.

I have a PS4, GTA6 will have microtransactions. This problem isn't confined only to Xbox.

GT6 and we don't know if the economy will be changed for it like F5. GT5 highest race gives 100k and 20 million for top car so if you want the rarest cars you are going to have to grind a lot. Now if GT6 makes it even more then that then its apparent the economy has been changed to make people pay.

GT6 and we don't know if the economy will be changed for it like F5. GT5 highest race gives 100k and 20 million for top car so if you want the rarest cars you are going to have to grind a lot. Now if GT6 makes it even more then that then its apparent the economy has been changed to make people pay.
You managed to say what I said in half the words, you beautiful bastard.

jaypah

Before I get outraged I need to know if these games unfairly make the grind more tedious than we are used to from games. If it's the same grind but some chump can pay for an easy out I don't give a shit. If they purposely gimp the grind to try to force you to use money then fuck them, I'm not buying those games.

UberTag

It's interesting that the more expensive console is the one with the abundance of games with microtransactions.
Makes sense to me.
Clearly the people who've bought the more expensive-less powerful system have more disposable income.
They'll also be more inclined to fall into the "a fool and his money are soon parted" doctrine.
Why not exploit them? They clearly deserve to be.

Theeze

Neo Member
If Sony had something similar planned, they'll just do the same thing they did last time. Stay quiet, let the fire burn and then come out as the hero. MS is making this way too easy for it's competition not to take advantage.

Empty

this is really infuriating

i don't love nickel and diming dlc but really there's ways to get the value back - buying the game on sale, waiting for psn sales on dlc, waiting for goty editions to get cheap. the f2p elements though are insidious. they actively make the game you're paying for more tedious to encourage you to pay them more money. crimson dragon and forza 5 sound like they'd be better games without them. that's really troubling. it's like getting a smaller portion of a delicious pizza vs getting a horrible pizza that's only nice if you're willing to spend a big premium on extra toppings. which you only know about for next time, after you've bought a horrible pizza.

i really hope we can get another xbox 180 on this stuff. it's horrible and can easily catch on.

jaypah

If Sony had something similar planned, they'll just do the same thing they did last time. Stay quiet, let the fire burn and then come out as the hero. MS is making this way too easy for it's competition.

Well, it's true that they don't have as many exclusives out so they have less opportunity to even go there. However, they could have used Killzone MP for micro transactions or even Knack for powerups but they didn't so maybe Sony just isn't interested in going that route. Although if they do I will lol at the knee-jerk fanwarrior responses to this. It's to early to fly flags for any of this shit because anything can happen.

ironcreed

Banned
A disgusting practice, to be sure. One I fully expect to get much worse before it ever gets any better. I'll just continue to ignore such fishing attempts like the bait on a hook that it is.

flkraven

EA had microtransactions in ME3, and they said it was very profitable. So much so infact that they included similar systems in their following games. Microtransactions are here to stay, and it will only grow and grow this gen. Games used to go up in costs every few years. I remember games costing $80 or $90 at one point. Now games have leveled off at $60? Yeah right. $60 is the trap they lay so they can bleed you dry with DLC and microtransactions.

nib95

Banned
Pretty damn shitty. But Microsoft have a history of nickel and diming so I'm not altogether surprised. This will be the pay for online of this generation. I'm not buying in to it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Theeze

Neo Member
Well, it's true that they don't have as many exclusives out so they have less opportunity to even go there. However, they could have used Killzone MP for micro transactions or even Knack for powerups but they didn't so maybe Sony just isn't interested in going that route. Although if they do I will lol at the knee-jerk fanwarrior responses to this. It's to early to fly flags for any of this shit because anything can happen.

They technically do have their F2P lineup that has micro transactions. DCUO, Warframe, Blacklight Retribution. That's fine since they're F2P...as long as they don't shove that on their $60 exclusives.

The fact MS decided to okay this type of system on their exclusives so early is borderline stupid.

Copying my post from the Forza thread here for good measure:

This kind of greed puts me off of the gaming industry completely. Modern games are going to get more and more brazen about it and a lot of you are going to eat it up. I was fed up with doors you couldn't enter or quests you couldn't accept without DLC purchases in the last gen of gaming, adopting the free to play monetization model for full price games is just... I give up.These kinds of IAP transactions just disgust me.

Enjoy Next-Gen guys.

For all the uproar that microtransactions cause... i have bought many games with them and never made a single purchase. i can't say i've ever felt forced to purchase them and knowing that they exist haven't hurt my enjoyment with said titles either.

Rather not have them, but whatever. I'll continue ignoring them and hopefully they go away.
It's the reason why a lot of the games have huge grinds to get stuff. It was designed to suck money out of people after they got tired of the grind. It's not going away thanks to f2p and the monetiization of p2w.

BigDug13

Why do people keep saying this? MS claiming KI is F2P does not make it F2P. 1 character for free is a glorified demo, not F2P.

And there's no grind to unlock characters either. It's a demo that you can build on individually with characters purchased or just buy the game. That's not f2p. I'm not sure what to call it as I've never seen this method of game delivery before.

Yeah, we don't know yet. Gt has always been a grind as well.

Tobor

This thread is confusing.

Regular DLC is still a microtransaction. Every small purchase is a microtransaction.

You guys are talking about consumables.

Online booster packs + fucking up SP gameplay to encourage microtransactions = go fuck yourself.

Why do companies see shit like this fail and continue to go down the same stupid route?

Into

Disgusting and as usual very few journalist are barely even mentioning it. Kudos to Eurogamer for at least including it in their review.

What is next? If you play a game over X hours they start charging you per hour?

I mean it seems absurd right, but so was the entire idea of DLC, online passes, micro transactions in boxed games and much more.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
FUCK THAT

and fuck them for doing this. Want to make it so your consumer can buy their way through the game? Great, don't sell it for 60 fucking dollars.

Orca

Is it apparent the economy in Forza has been changed?

First they sold people horse armour, and I said nothing because horses look sweet in armour.

Then they forced people to buy multiplayer map packs by turning off playlists without them, and I said nothing because I loved teabagging noobs.

Now they're selling me half a game for $60 and expecting me to shell out double that gradually for the other half, and there is nobody left to speak for me because they're buying PS4s.

Reallink

Doesn't really matter if they change the economy or keep it the same. The simple fact that you can buy your way to something that previously had to be earned is game changing and game breaking in its own right. Forza 5 and GT6 are competitive games online, this is 100% pure pay2win. I don't really see what people get out of this, it's like fixed sporting events. What's the point? Anyone that gives these properties a single penny deserves to be shit on with microtransactions.

Top Bottom