• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to be worried about recent disappointing sales and quick pricedrops?

Where can I get watch dogs 2 on sale 🤔. I wanna buy it to support the choice to have a black protagonist but I'm not spending 60 when I didn't even have the willpower to finish the first one. Got to a motorcycle chase and quit .

No but publishers do. It seems like the aaa market has finally inflated to the point of near bursting. What im hoping this means is that publishers see people are tired of the same franchises weve been getting for ten years and focus on new ip. And maybe not spend this proposterous amount of money on game development anymore. Maybe spend way less money on something smaller and unique

wapplew

This is a good thing. Publishers have to learn big budgets don't make good games. Their obsession for high budgets led to the homogenization of the industry and the dissolution of gaming studios since they had to play safe to make sure they'd make money.

But most of them are good maybe great game! TF2 nominated for GOTY!
That game half the price within 2-3 weeks. Seems like no a healthy race to the bottom.

IvorB

A follow up to a game no one bought, a buggy game that launched with day one reviews and a sequel to a "franchise" that's been flogged to death... I don't think I will be shedding any tears over these games to be honest.

Why should I be worried about the AAA industry?

Serious question.

Canonical answer: Because the vibrancy of the market is made possible by the stability of the CoDs and the GTAs and the Madden/FIFAs. A healthy AAA market ensures that the overall industry is large enough that publishers can take risk on obscure titles and afford them being financial failures. Child of Light is made possible by Assassin's Creed.

This may be true for consoles, but PC gaming will exist until the end of time, with or without big publishers.

As you have said each of those games can be explained individually - I think it's been a while since a game has had high expectations and also been a good game.

Most of the games people have had high expectations for this year have absolutely reviewed badly

You make it sound like a bad thing, when it's a good thing the AAA bubble is finally bursting (to a degree).

Problem is, game sales are down period. Not that gamers are buying cool indie games instead. Yeah, it's really too bad console gamers have such little interest in games outside of the AAA scene, but enough for quite a lot of it to at least make it to the console space, so I guess there is that.

Forkball

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is already half off on Steam. That game is less than 100 days old. This year does seem to be filled with sequels that get good reviews, yet the audience isn't taking to them for some reason.

jblank83

Canonical answer: Because the vibrancy of the market is made possible by the stability of the CoDs and the GTAs and the Madden/FIFAs. A healthy AAA market ensures that the overall industry is large enough that publishers can take risk on obscure titles and afford them being financial failures. Child of Light is made possible by Assassin's Creed.

This may be true for consoles, but PC gaming will exist until the end of time, with or without big publishers.

I don't buy that.

Nintendo is one of the healthiest software producers in the industry and they do it without insane AAA budgets. They also put out much more medium and small sized projects than any other publisher.

Your example of PC is good as well. The indie industry seems to be doing very well on Steam. IIRC, the top sellers/most popular on Steam doesn't really include AAAs either.

IMO, let console AAA burn. Force some innovation and some diversity in the types of games they produce. Let them get experimental.

Trup1aya

We shouldnt be worried... publishers should though.

They really need to rethink their annual scheduling, and franchise saturation strategies.

Spaced throughout the year, without having to share marketing windows with competitors, i think all of these games perform better.

I know everyone covets the holiday window, but gamers have limited spending power and playing time. Publishers should think about releasing sooner, but planning major content updates around the holidays to capitalize on the shopping season.

It seems only Battlefield, COD, FIFA and Nintendo games can sell on christmas season.

In other hand, sequels of Watch Dogs, Titanfall and Dishonored belong to oversaturated genres even though, they have some new ideas(?)

Oneself

Some publishers should change the way the industry works. There are too many games and yearly iterations. But then again, gamers are the problem. We accept shoddy products and buy half-assed games every year.

Games are doing better than ever. We are living in a world where My Summer Car (http://steamspy.com/app/516750) and ClusterTruck (http://steamspy.com/app/397950) can easily sell 100k copies.

ARK: Survival Of The Fittest, Stardew Valley. Undertale. Starbound have millions of owners on Steam. Then there are the enormously popular F2P games. Dota 2 and League of Legends to mention a couple.

Only thing that has happened is people have noticed that there are games outside the so-called AAA space. This is on PC. Consoles are in a more difficult position because of extreme control console manufacturers have over their own platform. This limits their number of games and price points. So I guess that's the real question, what will become of home consoles?

Markoman

Worried? Hell no, gaming demand is growing each day, it's the devs and pubs who have to worry if what they are offering is good enough for a mass market.

Here's a question I've been asking myself the last 3 years: would GTAV have become the same major success without hundreds of hours of voice-overs, cut-scenes and tons of licensed music?

Ragona

I agree, that annualized franchises should just die, but I dont really see franchise fatique in 3 out of the 4 mentioned games. Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 are significant upgrades over their predecessor and had a multi year development. Titanfall 2 adds a pretty great campaign ontop of the great multiplayer.

Also its not about complaining about lower prices, but being worried, that Publishers get the right message and the market doesnt just crash. They could look at Dishonored 2 and say guess noone wants this game, but Iam 100% sure the game could have been a hit in..say July.

wapplew

I agree, that annualized franchises should just die, but I dont really see franchise fatique in 3 out of the 4 mentioned games. Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 are significant upgrades over their predecessor and had a multi year development. Titanfall 2 adds a pretty great campaign ontop of the great multiplayer.

Also its not about complaining about lower prices, but being worried, that Publishers get the right message and the market doesnt just crash. They could look at Dishonored 2 and say guess noone wants this game, but Iam 100% sure the game could have been a hit in..say July.

Let's hope those publisher don't analyze those result in a wrong way.

Well to be fair this is on the publishers. They killed the mid budget games and put all their eggs in one basket. Not to mention doubling down on games only selling in the holidays.

redcrayon

Some publishers should change the way the industry works. There are too many games and yearly iterations. But then again, gamers are the problem. We accept shoddy products and buy half-assed games every year.
I'd argue that publishers wanting us to play games longer, either through open worlds, bloated lists of quests, online multiplayer, DLC or randomly generated content, all so they can put a big round number of hours on the back of the box and stave off trade-ins, is also not doing huge AAA games that all launch together any favours. If you play through a 12-hour game in November, you might buy another before Christmas. If you're still only scratching the surface of the online/SP content come Boxing Day, all the rest can wait for the January sales.

Deus Ex and Gears 4 also underperformed despite being well received games.
I think is worrysome because AAA gaming is being concentrated in a couple of on going games. Its like last gen situación with big games killing AA, now persistent/always update games are killing other AAA games. Well, the sooner we move to digital, the better.

Alebrije

Deus Ex Mankind Divided is already half off on Steam. That game is less than 100 days old. This year does seem to be filled with sequels that get good reviews, yet the audience isn't taking to them for some reason.

Think is game saturation , lots of gams these days and not even counting mobile market.

Also maybe a lot of people were waiting for Black Friday deals and Christmast

danmaku

Worried? Hell no, gaming demand is growing each day, it's the devs and pubs who have to worry if what they are offering is good enough for a mass market.

Here's a question I've been asking myself the last 3 years: would GTAV have become the same major success without hundreds of hours of voice-overs, cut-scenes and tons of licensed music?

Was Sleeping Dogs successful? Kinda, but not enough for a sequel. Here's your answer.

Z3M0G

Titanfall 2 (and Perhaps Dishonored 2) is a shame...

Watch Dogs 2 is not surprising...

Call of Duty is mostly good news.

wapplew

I'd argue that publishers wanting us to play games longer, either through open worlds, bloated lists of quests, online multiplayer, DLC or randomly generated content, all so they can put a big round number of hours on the back of the box and stave off trade-ins, is also not doing huge AAA games that all launch together any favours. If you play through a 12-hour game in November, you might buy another before Christmas. If you're still only scratching the surface of the online/SP content come Boxing Day, all the rest can wait for the January sales.

That certainly the case.
Every publisher want their game to be the title that everyone buy, have enough content to play for all year long. But only a handful of those will succeed.

I think the GTA brand is stronger than any of that. Want proof? GTA Online, it's basically what you just said and it's raking in cash.

KHlover

Banned
Too busy playing Overwatch, Pokemon and my newfound love -VNs- to care right now. If I'm buying a new game this fall it'll be Steins;Gate. The rest will have to wait for the steam christmas sale..

You make it sound like a bad thing, when it's a good thing the AAA bubble is finally bursting (to a degree).

Yep. Games have been overpriced for the entirely of 2010's. When indies try to charge $80 for a contentless game, you know we are in trouble. Games need to drop half of the price to make it worth purchasing.

I now believe in GAF's voice of reason i.e. buy games when they're 50% off, or $20 or less.

Nah OP it's just Black Friday and holiday sales that are pushing price drops more quickly more anything else.

I'm not complaining though, I hope Titanfall 2 reaches some real bomba prices between now and Xmas, because my gaming budget is already stretched a little thin.

Maybe, just maybe people eventually gets fed up of the continuous reiteration of the same titles? The fact that the OP lists all sequels is telling.

The AAA industry is in dire need of some innovation and the longest developers and publishers keep pushing the same models the worse is going to get, since technology advances relentlessly and development costs go higher every year. Season passes and bullshit microtransactions are not going to bring back the interest of the public, especially when they can get the game for half the prince in a couple of weeks after release.

KORNdoggy

Or developers could look at releasing games the other 10 months of the year...

this

this push for early and late in a year releases with nothing in between seems stupid and always has. games need room to breath, even the big AAA ones that are part of popular franchises (rise of the tomb raider bombed at launch because of this) publishers need to realise they'll get more sales when their game(s) aren't all fighting over a consumers wallet at the same time of year.

people can argue games like tomb raider aren't in direct competition with something like fallout 4, which thematically is true, but the fact is, from a consumer standpoint, they are competing because people can only maybe afford one in any given month.

we need big games all year round. not 12 massive releases in the space of 2 months.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You think console makers are going to continue putting out consoles for niche games? Hope you like playing on PC.

Like? I love playing on PC. I got it hooked up to my TV and a controller, i'm set.

nah, it just sucks that i paid full price at launch because they never did this kind of sales too soon before (at least on the biggest names)

If this ends the dumb race to buy in on 'DAY ONE!!1!' then i'm not against that either.

Buying on day one you risk paying a sucker's tax. Them's the breaks.

I think we need to see more data. My guess is that the online multiplayer space is getting saturated and become a zero sum game. Let's see how the more single player focused titles Horizon and Mass Effect Andromeda do early next year for a more complete picture.

Call of Duty and Titanfall have a single player campaign, but I think gamers have associated those titles with the multiplayer part. As a sample size of 1, I have discounted their single player offerings even though I know Titanfall 2 has been praised for its campaign. That's because I assume that regardless of its quality it will be short, and I am not interested enough to look into it more.

As for Watchdogs, I think it is a fundamentally weak IP. People don't care enough about it to give a second look after its poor initial outing. I don't know what to say about Dishonored 2 which probably speaks to its niche status.

Chobel

If you only care about AAA games? Maybe. Otherwise, nah. The video game industry now is better than ever

jelly

This is a good thing. Publishers have to learn big budgets don't make good games. Their obsession for high budgets led to the homogenization of the industry and the dissolution of gaming studios since they had to play safe to make sure they'd make money.

I would say publishers wanted to push the envelope so there is less competition. Greed has got the better of them. It's funny though, there is less of them but they keep releasing at the same time.

Top Bottom