• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to be worried about recent disappointing sales and quick pricedrops?

Yep. Games have been overpriced for the entirely of 2010's. When indies try to charge $80 for a contentless game, you know we are in trouble. Games need to drop half of the price to make it worth purchasing.

I now believe in GAF's voice of reason i.e. buy games when they're 50% off, or $20 or less.

Agree, I will be able to buy more games thanks to this

lmao what is this

A crash would not make games go down in price at all, at this point it's almost a miracle that they're still $60. What would happen is that we would have less games at all since big publishers and studios would just die. I hope you enjoy indie games and only that because that would be the future

If the AAA market crashes, a lot of people will be out of a job, so as someone working in the industry, I do care.

I think its pretty short sighted to say it would be a good thing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully publishers realize that spacing releases out (especially similar games) is more important than hitting the holiday window. Other than Watchdogs 2 which was hurt by the poor first game, the others noted I feel suffered from releasing too close to bigger games in the same genre.

lmao what is this

A crash would not make games go down in price at all, at this point it's almost a miracle that they're still $60. What would happen is that we would have less games at all since big publishers and studios would just die. I hope you enjoy indie games and only that because that would be the future

What is wrong with Indy games?

Also, i don't think people are playing less / fewer games on their home consoles. I think too much AAA crap was released in late 2016 and people are tired of certain franchises. - the demand for games in general doesn't change.
I think there are a lot of people without the money to just buy every game they want, who used to spend more of their disposable income on games, but are now concentrating on games like ARK or Warframe that you can basically play forever.

Prices fall so quickly makes me hesitant on buying any game day 1.
This is my personal reason, I only bought 1 (edit: full price) game on day1 this year. Why should I spend 69€, if I can buy the game only 2 months later for only 34€?? That's like a 2-for-1 deal if you can wait out 2 months, which I absolutely can, because I have quite the backlog and get PS+ and GWG every month (PS+ not anymore very soon though).

labaronx

this

this push for early and late in a year releases with nothing in between seems stupid and always has. games need room to breath, even the big AAA ones that are part of popular franchises (rise of the tomb raider bombed at launch because of this) publishers need to realise they'll get more sales when their game(s) aren't all fighting over a consumers wallet at the same time of year.

people can argue games like tomb raider aren't in direct competition with something like fallout 4, which thematically is true, but the fact is, from a consumer standpoint, they are competing because people can only maybe afford one in any given month.

we need big games all year round. not 12 massive releases in the space of 2 months.

In the past 3, years some amazing games have been overshadowed by releasing in fall when they couldve benefitted from a spring/summer release... sunset overdrive being the biggest victim so far, i cant say the game would've been a megahit, but low numbers is probably why a sequel is still questionable/dead, sony has had some pretty good success in the past releasing exclusives outside the holiday much to the cringing of some of gaf. Uncharted 4 Overwatch and the witcher 3 found great success in may, July has had success with the last of us, publishers just need to spread out more, especially ea

Will be interesting to see how The Last Guardian performs as well. Especially when it's up against FFXV.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons games aren't selling as well as expected this fall, but I get the feeling market saturation is a big one. In particular for CoD/BF1/TF2 sales. What were EA thinking?

Let me ask you this? If you buy a multiplayer focused shooter and invest in a season pass with map packs that fragment the community are you worried about the game not having a large enough community to sustain it? Have you tried playing the original 'titanfall' on pc? the game is amazing but I don't even bother keeping it installed anymore because I'm playing against the same 100 or so people in the same game mode over and over.

III-V

There is so much new hardware on sale I wonder if it is eating into game purchases. Low prices are good for consumers, as long as the business model is sustainable.

Madame M

Banned
The XBox One version of Final Fantasy XV is having some really hilarious black friday deals before the game is even released ($35). I can't tell if it's a story about FFXV's outlook or XBox One's outlook or what, but it doesn't bode well either way. Maybe they're just trying to give XBox One owners who otherwise aren't interested an incentive to believe the hype?

GodofWine

I think its the non AAA games eating into sales. Dev tools are so good and relatively easy to use now that smaller studios can create pretty cool games. Why buy ANOTHER open world GTA clone (no one matches GTA yet) that will just dissapoint you, when for 10 bucks you can get a really cool indie title.

I basically buy 1 AAA game a year that will last me a year (like a AAA shooter), the rest of my time is spent on smaller titles.

Top Bottom