• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever "finish" your XBLA/PSN/WiiWare games?

I got 200/200 on Jewel Quest a few days ago, four years after getting my first achievement for it :lol

I do find I get so many though that I don't finish loads, but my main problem is that I've got loads that I haven't even started.

DryvBy

XBLA:
None, actually. Beat all the games I have on here.

PSN:
Trine

Wii:
Donkey Kong Country 2
Legend of Mystical Ninja

My actual disc log is REALLY backed up though. I usually finish downloadables because they're not near as lengthy, at least the ones I get. However, if I got Phantasy Star II on XBLA, that would be another story.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I have never finished a DD game. I use them as 10-30 min distractions, but never commit. They also get pretty hard fast.

Actually, I've been on a hard run to going back and 'beating' my PSN games instead of just buying new ones. I've almost finally defeated the nightmare that is NovaStrike, I finally beat all of the original content of PAIN and I'm clearing out some Critter Credge right now. New games and fun but I need to start getting more out of what I have.

I finish most of the ones I buy but I don't buy that many and I usually don't buy the arcadey ones. I'd be ashamed if I didn't finish games like Monkey Island, Braid and Symphony of the Night.

NinjaBoiX

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, can't think of one I haven't beaten, except for maybe Bit.Trip.Runner, cause I only got it a few days ago.
You have it all to come! World 2-11: Odyssey, what - a - bitch. Half way through world 3, I will not be beaten!

WiiWare:
LostWinds 2 - Getting there, bit by bit
World of Goo - Enjoying taking my time
Swords and Soldiers - "Spam build, spam heal, spam build". No thanks

XBLA:
'Splosion Man - Too fucking hard!
Trails HD - Too fucking hard! 2.0 (extreme tracks)
Monkey Island: SE - About an hour or so to go

PSN:
WipEout HD Fury - Just so much content. It's not like I don't play it often!
Siren: Blood Curse - It's all a bit of a slog to be honest
Echocrome - That game is broken

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This thread is nuts. The most games I've finished are PSN/XBLA games... I have completed almost everyone I own.

I view these titles like Movies. If I pay $10 for a title and play it for more than 2 hours. I feel I got my money worth if I beat it or not.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Diablohead said:
I finish them all since they are usually shorter and more fun then most full retail games.

Games that aren't padded with filler and can be beaten in a single sitting are pretty great.

thcsquad

I finish some, but many are just way too hard to finish, like Everyday Shooter and Pixeljunk Eden. I've never had a disc-based game that was too hard to finish.

Steroyd

I finish them eventually.

Just being 1 click away no matter what I'm doing on the console makes me lazy to complete it compared to retail games.

OnPoint

I finish just about every one of them I buy. I only don't if I don't like them, and even then, I have to really not like them. My XBLA collection skews this sorta, since I just bought a bunch of games during that sale 2 weeks ago, but whatever.

WiiWare: 4 total unfinished, 2 of which will be taken care of in the future

ArtStyle Orbient - no, didn't like, gave it a lot of time
Bit.Trip BEAT - yes
Bit.Trip CORE - yes
Bit.Trip VOID - yes
Bit. Trip RUNNER - yes
Blaster Master Overdrive - yes
Castlevania Rebirth - yes
Cave Story - yes
Contra Rebirth - yes
Defend Your Castle - no, but I don't even know if you can
Gradius Rebirth - yes
Jett Rocket - no, but I'm currently playing it so i will
LostWinds - yes
LostWinds 2 - yes
Max and the Magic Marker - no, but I might eventually
Mega Man 9 - yes
Mega Man 19 - yes
Muscle March - yes
Nyxquest - yes
Space Invaders Get Even - yes
Tomenna Sanner - yes
World of Goo - yes

PSN: 1/4 unfinished
Flower - yes
PixelJunk Eden - no, maybe someday
Shatter - yes
TMNT: TIT - yes

XBLA: 7/10 unfinished, but several are new buys
Braid - no, but currently playing
Castle Crashers - no but I just bought it
Geometry Wars 2 - it's not really a "finish me" type of game
IMADEAGAMEWITHZOMBIES: no, is it finishable?
Johnny Biscuit's Platform Romp - yes
Jump, Arkedo 01 - yes
Pac Man Championship - it's not really a "finish me" type of game
Pixel, Arkedo 03 - yes
PT Winterbottom - no but I just bought it
Weapon of Choice - no, it sucks

Doopliss

Out of about 10 Wiiware/VC games the only ones I haven't finished are Mega Man 3 and Swords & Soldiers, both because they got too hard.

If we were to throw Steam into the equation, then I don't even begin playing most of the games I buy, let alone finish.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I finish more of these than I do disc games. Thus far, these have tended to be decidedly old-school in their content:padding ratio.

I must have 50+ download games across my Wii, PS3 and 360 that I have bought but haven't played yet. I need to get going on some of them.

I'm better about downloadable games than I am with real games a lot of the time. I think the only game I think I never beat that I've downloaded was MM9. I just go tired of one of the stages and stopped playing because I was a perfectionist about it.

There are other games I have or purchased on sale, but I don't really like them, so I wouldn't count them (PixelJunk Monsters, Novastrike)...

There are some I just haven't gotten to, because the nature of the game is "play a little whenever", like Critter Crunch and PixelJunk Eden.

But I do finish most of them, at least once.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Vinterbird said:
I must have 50+ download games across my Wii, PS3 and 360 that I have bought but haven't played yet. I need to get going on some of them.
How the fuck does this happen. :lol

Jesus.

Icarus

I finish some, don't finish others. That said, I come back to my XBLA/PSN DD games more than I do my retail games for some reason. More often than not I get more value/play time per dollar out of them than full retail titles.

Sixfortyfive said:

Jesus.

I have a bunch of games I buy and barely play too. Because XBLA space bucks go on sale so much and I have such a backlog of them that I got for dirt cheap, I spend them more lavishly.

nli10

Skiptastic said:
Puzzle Quest is the only game I've gotten every achievement for on my 360.

But no, I usually don't finish them.

Same here - (finished Dash or Destruction too actually thinking about it) - will probably finish PQ2 as well.

Mostly though I do the single player to end and forget about extras.

Sixfortyfive said:

Jesus.

Primarily due to wanting to support developers in the first week of release, since the launch period is where it counts for them to get green lighted by publishers for a sequel, or coming out saying "we had amazing sales!".

But it makes my summers far less dull!

thcsquad

Sixfortyfive said:

Jesus.

Well, I've made impulse buys on sales. 10 or so of my PSN games are unplayed but I bought them each on half off sales for $5 or less.

Curufinwe

Super Stardust HD is too hard for me to finish, but I got about half the trophies even without buying the expansion pack.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've finished more disc games than XBLA/PSN games, afaik. Not sure why.

dwsn

Neo Member
Out of roughly a dozen XBLA games I've only completed 1 or 2. I haven't played more than a half hour of at least 3 or 4 of them. Wow, what a waste.

lljride

DeadGzuz said:
I have never finished a DD game. I use them as 10-30 min distractions, but never commit. They also get pretty hard fast.

This is pretty much me exactly. The only PSN game I've completed 100% is Linger in Shadows:lol. I beat Flower, but I'm still missing a good number of trophies.

Pixeljunk everything, Shatter, Joe Danger, BC:R, Trash Panic, Lumines...I'm sure I'm missing a ton more. All are in my digital pile of shame. I think it's mental, I can't just sit down and play most of these for long stretches for some reason.

jergrah

For the most part I finish all of them. I have a couple that I havent, like Joe Danger, but I would say 9 out of every 10 I complete.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I actually do have a problem with this, I do buy a lot of downloadable games on Steam, XBLA, PSN & Wiiware without finishing them. I guess it might have something to do with the fact that they're impulse purchases and that it's easy to forget about them. I've probably finished/cleared like half of my DD games, but some aren't story based like Trials/Geowars/Peggle etc and you can play them a lot without ever finishing them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I did at first but any games I recently get are automatically back logged. I havent even beaten Shadow Complex from last year...

I decided to just stop 80% of digital download purchases that I would normally get and wait for sales. Some games I havent really played much at all (Monkey Island, Stardust HD...)

XBLA:
Streets of Rage 2
Castle Crashers
KOF 98
SSF2 HD
Puzzle Fighter :lol
TMNT 1989
TMNT #2
Fatal Fury (Did everything possible in 1 player mode)
Double Dragon
Shadow Complex
Castlevania
Final Fight (From the double pack)
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Achievements Complete
Duke Nukem 3D
Puzzle Quest (non expansion)
Galaga
Soul Calibur
Doritos

PSN
Flower

I think fighting games DO count....because I will possibly never be able to defeat Shao Kahn :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Well, its going to be a lot less daunting after realizing a lot of the games I got were complete shit and deleted them permanently from my PSN.

The lower price point combined with getting PSN cards as gifts and being one poor-ass white boy led me to downloading the fuck out of titles, now I need to get off my ass and play the good (Grandia, how did I never know how amazing you were before? <3) and give up on the terrible...

Although to this day the very best money I spent was Critter Crunch which I'd have 100 percent by now if I wasn't playing online (small community still going, but most of them completely slaughter me)

fernoca

I usually..don't.
I just leave the games, for those moments I have nothing to play, or don't want to play nothing..

I do finished Braid....*sniff*

gokieks

Yes. Outside of games where there's no real "finishing" to speak of (Street Fighter/Puzzle Fighter HDR, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Virtual On Oratorio Tangram), I've finished most of them. Mostly it's because the games are just a lot shorter, but not always (I've played more WipEout HD than a whole lot of retail games).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
At The Moment with My xbox dvd drive being broken I am back into playing the XBLA games
I Have completed Shadow complex and now working my way through Alien Breed Evolution,

I find I have to many games and not enough time so dip in and out of games at random

Jay Sosa

I finished Afterburn Climax twice today!!
on easy and with 5 continues, I really suck at this kind of games

Only DL game I'll probably never finish is Banjo Tooie, I'm in this dinosaur level and it just doesn't make any fun anymore(loved the first)

Top Bottom