• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Put Gameplay FIRST? Then PC>XSX>PS5

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
tenor.gif

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
davidjaffe davidjaffe
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony wants to have a word with you.

I LOVE Nintendo. I didn't include them because:

a- they're not really in the 'new hardware out this week' discussion.
b- they release fantastic games that are gameplay rich (and they have a good number of indies on switch) BUT for sheer volume of unique games to play, it's still hard even for Switch to beat the PC.

But yeah, Nintendo is the shit.

Clarissa

Banned
I LOVE Nintendo. I didn't include them because:

a- they're not really in the 'new hardware out this week' discussion.
b- they release fantastic games that are gameplay rich (and they have a good number of indies on switch) BUT for sheer volume of unique games to play, it's still hard even for Switch to beat the PC.

But yeah, Nintendo is the shit.
Have you played Disco Elysium yet, David? It's FANTASTIC!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Which raises another question for me since Gamepass is already available on PC why would you need two devices running the same services

Gamepass on console has a large enough % of games that are not on PC to justify the purcase. And with more games coming from the new studios, just seemed a good thing to buy.

But yeah, if I was smart, I woulda waited a year or so. But I saw one for sale and jumped cause I've been condition to give corporations money when they convince me things are scarce and my life will be better if I fill that hole of scarcity as soon as possible. Ugh, fuck pure, unregulated capitalism :/...

bender

What time is it?
When did Jaffe start using the youtube jump cut editing style? I get such a massive headache trying to watch these style of videos.

He sounds like someone that just discovered PC gaming and has entered that annoying phase of trying to extol its' virtues to anyone that will listen as if the platform needed justification. Framing the conversation as a necessity is also weird. We don't need any of this shit, dude.

Last edited:
only thing I know, Ratchet & Clank is coming beginning of the next year and I didn't see a game that looks like that on Xbox or PC.
to me, that's good enough reason to buy ps5 and to buy it now. and try Astro with Dualsense lol
I wanna play 60fps Days Gone and just relax in Sackboy and grind in Godfall on Christmas day after this sh*tty year.
I wanna fast UI, fast loading, stable framerate in Battlefield 1, I wanna go to stats tracking to see if I played Binding Of Isaac for 2000 hours...

Xbox has nothing at launch and IP's they have are not for me. Halo always looked like s*it to me. Gears looks good.
Doom and Dishonored are only Bethesda games that are for me.
paying 180$ (?) per year for Game Pass + Live is not something that I need.
games on Gamepass come and go and I like more when I put my ps+ games in library and play those games after a year if I want to.
sometimes I spend a month just on Battlefront 2 or World War Z working on getting a platinum.
plus, don't like the Xbox controller (sticks not on same position, batteries, size) and UI is same as before meaning ugly.
I don't get what about Series X would get me excited

TonyK

The Demon's Souls statement about being technically better than anything he has seen in PC it only added more hype!!

JimiNutz

Banned
Gamepass is an incredible service with great games. Such great value that could probably keep me entertained for months and months (maybe even a full year?) without having to buy a single game.

That being said, I'm drawn to those juicy 'next gen' exclusives so PS5 is gonna be my priority for now.

lock2k

Banned
Colour me curious, David. I will watch it now.

I'm primarily a PC gamer at this moment but I'm platform agnostic so I'm interested in seeing what you have to say here.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I put gameplay first and I give your opinion a clickbait/5.

Congrats “sir that once worked on a game people care about”, you made me click!

I think people get clickbait confused with engaging or interesting.

Clickbait is when you lie about what your video, story, movie,whatever is about JUST to get people to watch it.

Writing a title that gets eyeballs and clicks isn't clickbait if the video on the other side of the click is literally about what the title is about.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I spent many hours playing PS5 last night (and I played it into the early morning).

So, naturally, I made a video :).

Here's my review of the Playstation 5, from a person who puts gameplay first and from a guy who has been designing games for 20+ years:

You're not the fucking man.

/s

davidjaffe davidjaffe
I my opinion you are way to naive towards those sub services for gaming.
I don't see how thats gonna be any good for games development/ design in the long term.
Theres no incentive to produce good and valuable stuff.

Netflix has competition therefore its not comparable to gaming.

I might be wrong but I don't want gaming to degrade because of subscription services.
We see enough of that sort with Activison Ubisoft and so on. More of the same stuff in different colors.

And I do enjoy a lot of indies on PC. "Yes, my grace" was an epic game ( just as an example ). But I also want to have those blockbuster games. Judging by MS Studio output though I don't see that happening on gamepass at all.

CobraXT

Banned
I saw people who never played a Souls game in their life being excited for Demon Souls Remaster lol
Sony fans sure know how to hype anything Sony make, i bet in 3 months everybody will trun off the
adaptive triggers and never talk about it again

Y'all stop trolling the man. If you don't care about his opinion, cool, there's plenty of other threads for that. But he took the time to make a video, with great content, so respect his hustle and discuss or move on. Its annoying to see this happen to anyone, no matter if you are team red, green, blue, grey, or no affiliation to any team.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I saw people who never played a Souls game in their life being excited for Demon Souls Remaster lol
Sony fans sure know how to hype anything Sony make, i bet in 3 months everybody will trun off the

And what does Demon Souls have anything to do with his statement ?

But on a second though..

qfRhpC6.jpg

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally someone speaks the truth about the controller. It’s nice, but I don’t get all the hype.
I disagree.

The controller blew my mind when I first used it with Astro's Play Room. If implemented (which it probably won't be much beyond first party titles sadly) it makes games much more engaging and fun. Even the subtleness in DS Remake from making contact with enemies adds so much more to the combat feel.

The biggest thing for me though was the triggers. The feedback from them, especially during the rocket section, was simply amazing. Imagining how this controller will be used in future titles such as GT7, Horizon 2, and GoW makes me even more excited to play them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The PS5 is flush with third person games in which you press up on left stick and attack or jump over different enemies or platforms that get in your way as you make your way through a level.

Games the industry has been flooded with since the PS2.

I think that's an acceptable way to launch a console but Sony needs to start showing games that feel fresh in terms of design.

God of War Ragnarok probably isn't going to do that.

Cool contribution bro

M_A_C

Ok... You readily admit Demon's Souls is the best looking game you’ve ever seen regardless of platform. It also plays amazing. The rest of the Sony exclusives area also fantastic. Not sure why you’d rank it 3rd because PC has Indie games you can get anywhere even on Switch but ok you do you.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Clickbait is when you lie about what your video, story, movie,whatever is about JUST to get people to watch it.

Writing a title that gets eyeballs and clicks isn't clickbait if the video on the other side of the click is literally about what the title is about.

The title is the definition of clickbait. You write a controversial and inflammatory title that triggers at least two quadrants of your potential audience.

The story behind the click doesn’t support the title either, as you fail to show, prove or argue why PC offers games with better gameplay. You are actually talking about quantity, which leads to your asinine assertion that... Xbox also offers a better experience to people who put gameplay first, because.. of Gamepass.

You’re all over the map. But you did it, I watched the video and I am here talking about it.

I respect your opinion, but find there’s very flimsy logic behind your reasoning. Don’t think I have to share your opinion, but wish I could comprehend it better.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Guess you also mute games and listen to podcasts/music or something else while playing?
I don't understand people that don't want or hate against immersive games/media.

I have never really felt all that immersed by rumble or beeps coming out of the controller. Like I said before, they are nice features and I do like them. I just don’t really think it is a huge game changer like a lot of people and media folk have been gushing about. Just my opinion though!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ok... You readily admit Demon's Souls is the best looking game you’ve ever seen regardless of platform. It also plays amazing. The rest of the Sony exclusives area also fantastic. Not sure why you’d rank it 3rd because PC has Indie games you can get anywhere even on Switch but ok you do you.

Because there's a looooot of people who value interesting and new gameplay design over graphics.

The PS5 is currently lacking in terms of games that provide new and interesting gameplay design.

Hopefully that changes in 2021.

mancs

I spent many hours playing PS5 last night (and I played it into the early morning).

So, naturally, I made a video :).

Here's my review of the Playstation 5, from a person who puts gameplay first and from a guy who has been designing games for 20+ years:

Nice enuff to play till the early hours and makes a video review.... Lmfao 😂 kiss my bottom David

bender

What time is it?

It's clickbait. You are purposefully conflating variety in experiences with game play and then positing that PlayStation/Xbox can't provide the same game play experiences which is nonsense. Your premise would be valid if you said the barrier to entry for PC development and publishing is far lower than the console platform holders which leads to a much wider breadth of experiences but that certainly wouldn't have generated the same page/video views as what you said in your title. How droll.

Last edited:

mancs

Worse choice??????? Haahahhahahhahaha gtfo David.

Please , you know , as I , Sony will kill it the first year with better games and the pad is fkin sick.

Go back to playing , type and play , hitchhiker guide to the galaxy lol....

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Some consider me like one of the biggest Sony fans around here, and I'm not touching Demon's Souls, nor Persona games, even if you give them to me for free. The hype is genuine from SoulsBorne fans, Bloodborne to some is the generational game.

Also the triggers are extremely immersive, you know, you can turn everything off.

I respect his opinion because it appears genuine. He probably more of an indie fan, which is ok. To me, the mass majority of indie games are shit, and extremely rare to find something worth my time. Money isn't an issue here as they're pretty cheap.

I liked Journey, Limbo, and I think Kena, Stray and some of the new indies are stepping up their offering instead of those 8-bit BS games.

And yes, give me more massive experiences with top-of-the-industry production and quality from Sony Worldwide Studios instead of the GamePass shovelware games and bloated indie games. I would rather have indie games blocked in the PS store and have their own category instead of flooding the library with useless games.

M_A_C

Because there's a looooot of people who value interesting and new gameplay design over graphics.

The PS5 is currently lacking in terms of games that provide new and interesting gameplay design.

Hopefully that changes in 2021.

I’d argue Bugsnax meets all that and more and it’s free. I love games like Spelunky 2 etc that are PLayStation/PC only. I’m sure there are some games out there that you can’t get on Playstation also but seem few and far between. The logic seems extremely flawed.

MiguelItUp

Imagine getting upset about someone else's opinion, lmao.

I definitely see where he's coming from and can agree with it.

AAA budget titles aren't nearly as creative and unique as a lot of AA or indie titles these days. That's because the cost of game development is so damn high in the realm of AAA that those devs and pubs usually just don't want to take any risks. Sure, you'll see them occasionally, but a lot of the time it's mechanics that are already successful with another coat of paint so that it will be alright worse comes to worse.

But again, it's just one man's opinion. Not everyone may agree, lol.

KaiserBecks

Cheers Dave, watching now. Not sure how a console with no/terrible next gen launch games can be considered better than PS5 if you're talking about gameplay, but here we are.

if were talking about gameplay, what are those PS5 games doing that hasnt been done last gen? Listen to what he‘s saying.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PC>>> is correct. Performance/input lag+the right controller for the game+ best IQ+mods = best. Smile at anyone prizing 30fps/100+ms input lag games aiming with slow analog sticks with aim assist as the best thing.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
You're not the fucking man.

/s
I’d argue Bugsnax meets all that and more and it’s free. I love games like Spelunky 2 etc that are PLayStation/PC only. I’m sure there are some games out there that you can’t get on Playstation also but seem few and far between. The logic seems extremely flawed.

It's clear you don't play on PC, which is fine. But my logic isn't flawed. It's based on experience. Here- from earlier in the thread- are 3 games (I THINK Ultrakill IS on PS4?) that you can't get on consoles:

Right now I am loving a new FPS called Prodeus. Super violent and bloody but really well paced.

There's also a very cool FPS called ULTRAKILL that blends a bit of FPS with the game VANQUISH with a touch of...hmm...no idea...when you kill enemies they bleed and you get health by being in the splash zone of their blood so there's a great risk/reward to getting close enough to get covered in enemy blood. Creates a very cool dynamic.

TEARDOWN is an amazing physics based heist game where you use cars, trucks, cranes, sledgehammers,etc...kinda ANYTHING (stuff just WORKS) to pull off crimes. It's like GTA 3 was back in the day where you could just TRY stuff. But it's way more robust than that so it feels like there are infinite ways to solve the crimes and whatever you think to try- while you may not win the level- will often times work and/or result in totally surprising changes to the play that you then must adapt to on the fly.

UNPACKING is a demo right now for a game out next year and it is- I kid you not- SIMPLY about unpacking boxes. But it's an amazing narrative where you journey with the unpakcer from childhood, to college, to marriage, and eventually- it would seem- to death. And all the things you take out of the boxes are story elements so you learn about the character thru gameplay and exploring the boxes, not cut scenes. The core game is kind of like tetris in 3D real life environments. Here's a video I made of it:

I get those looking for AAA visual feasts and such will not be into these sorts of things and I totally get that. But for me- a guy who puts the interactive aspect front and center- it's hard to go back to console gaming ONLY after you've been spoiled by PC. But as I say in the PS5 review- PS5 is great for those sorts of Marvel Cinematic Universe style games. For THOSE sorts of games? Seems like PS5 is second to none.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Some consider me like one of the biggest Sony fans around here, and I'm not touching Demon's Souls, nor Persona games, even if you give them to me for free. The hype is genuine from SoulsBorne fans, Bloodborne to some is the generational game.

Also the triggers are extremely immersive, you know, you can turn everything off.

Xbox controllers have done that for years. Just go play Forza and press the brakes, does nearly the exact same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom