• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Put Gameplay FIRST? Then PC>XSX>PS5

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I love you back.

Let's make a tiny baby together.
Can we call it "boy"? Even if it's a girl?

On topic, I'm really enjoying my XSX. I do want a PS5 asap though. I'm watching your video now. Looking for an explanation of what you mention in the thread title. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT:
In terms of gameplay, you say it is akin to the variety of games you have to play at launch right now. I suppose I can see that as I'm a gamepass ultimate subscriber so I play on PC and XBOX SX for now. Do you also have a series X?

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Can we call it "boy"? Even if it's a girl?

On topic, I'm really enjoying my XSX. I do want a PS5 asap though. I'm watching your video now. Looking for an explanation of what you mention in the thread title. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT:
In terms of gameplay, you say it is akin to the variety of games you have to play at launch right now. I suppose I can see that as I'm a gamepass ultimate subscriber so I play on PC and XBOX SX for now. Do you also have a series X?

I have Gamepass on the PC and love it! Ordered a Series X and it should be here sometime in Dec.

jonnyp

David, what are some the more unique games and experiences on PC that isn't available on console which you would recommend?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
David, what are some the more unique games and experiences on PC that isn't available on console which you would recommend?

Right now I am loving a new FPS called Prodeus. Super violent and bloody but really well paced.

There's also a very cool FPS called ULTRAKILL that blends a bit of FPS with the game VANQUISH with a touch of...hmm...no idea...when you kill enemies they bleed and you get health by being in the splash zone of their blood so there's a great risk/reward to getting close enough to get covered in enemy blood. Creates a very cool dynamic.

TEARDOWN is an amazing physics based heist game where you use cars, trucks, cranes, sledgehammers,etc...kinda ANYTHING (stuff just WORKS) to pull off crimes. It's like GTA 3 was back in the day where you could just TRY stuff. But it's way more robust than that so it feels like there are infinite ways to solve the crimes and whatever you think to try- while you may not win the level- will often times work and/or result in totally surprising changes to the play that you then must adapt to on the fly.

UNPACKING is a demo right now for a game out next year and it is- I kid you not- SIMPLY about unpacking boxes. But it's an amazing narrative where you journey with the unpakcer from childhood, to college, to marriage, and eventually- it would seem- to death. And all the things you take out of the boxes are story elements so you learn about the character thru gameplay and exploring the boxes, not cut scenes. The core game is kind of like tetris in 3D real life environments. Here's a video I made of it:

I get those looking for AAA visual feasts and such will not be into these sorts of things and I totally get that. But for me- a guy who puts the interactive aspect front and center- it's hard to go back to console gaming ONLY after you've been spoiled by PC. But as I say in the PS5 review- PS5 is great for those sorts of Marvel Cinematic Universe style games. For THOSE sorts of games? Seems like PS5 is second to none.

I'll probably get a PS5 further down the line when availability isn't an issue but i can't help but think this review applies to Xbox as well right now, a good upgrade but not necessary until actual new games start releasing (first party). I'm assuming you will be doing a review of the X when it comes?

Hopefully they have a smaller unit (PS5) by that time and have fixed any issues that they are currently having.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You should probably add a big *and be able to pay more than twice the price of a console

But sure, being able to afford the best hardware will generally net you improved gameplay performance.

Yet PC, in comparison to consoles, puts the most obstacles between the player and playing the game. :pie_thinking:

It's all a matter of perspective. If you put gameplay first, then the platform should fade into the background.

Gaming on console is just much more simple and relaxing than on PC.

While PC gaming is easier and simpler than it used to be, it still isnt the same experience.

Some computers work almost flawlessly, some dont. Then all server, software, driver and OS problems = consoles are ahead of that.

PC gamers tend to forget that they have had any problems, but googling around with games name + problem = always people whom arent so lucky.

If looking at pure gameplay, then there isnt major differences. Yes PC have useless(to non competitive gamers) 360Hz displays and other stuff that people think makes them super good gamers, but in the end if game is good, platform doesnt matter much.

So imo it is not fair to say that this is better than that, they are just different and people prefer different things.

If one player can enjoy 30fps games and one can enjoy only 144Hz games, then latter is less of a gamer and more of a person whom stares FPS counter :messenger_beaming:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
You should probably add a big *and be able to pay more than twice the price of a console

But sure, being able to afford the best hardware will generally net you improved gameplay performance.
It actually has nothing to do with price or performance. It really comes down to the fact that PC doesn't have the 'walled garden' ecosystem of consoles and thus developers are free to try all kinds of crazy shit and just upload it to steam, itch.io, their own platforms,etc.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Yet PC, in comparison to consoles, puts the most obstacles between the player and playing the game. :pie_thinking:

It's all a matter of perspective. If you put gameplay first, then the platform should fade into the background.

It used to. And sure, comparatively speaking, it still does. But I'm no tech guy; I used to HATE PC gaming cause of drivers and having to adjust settings and all this crap. And then crashes you don't know how to fix, etc.

Those days are mostly gone with Steam and Epic Game Store and such. From time to time those headaches still crop up. But it's very rare these days.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Gaming on console is just much more simple and relaxing than on PC.

While PC gaming is easier and simpler than it used to be, it still isnt the same experience.

Some computers work almost flawlessly, some dont. Then all server, software, driver and OS problems = consoles are ahead of that.

PC gamers tend to forget that they have had any problems, but googling around with games name + problem = always people whom arent so lucky.

If looking at pure gameplay, then there isnt major differences. Yes PC have useless(to non competitive gamers) 360Hz displays and other stuff that people think makes them super good gamers, but in the end if game is good, platform doesnt matter much.

So imo it is not fair to say that this is better than that, they are just different and people prefer different things.

If one player can enjoy 30fps games and one can enjoy only 144Hz games, then latter is less of a gamer and more of a person whom stares FPS counter :messenger_beaming:

Sounds like you are talking about performance. I'm talking about game types, gameplay variety, and the massive freedom that devs have when developing outside of the Sony/Xbox/Nintendo ecosystem/walled garden.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

to me it's all about how much do you like to tinker. I am really all about the min max, but with the new tech that's come out recently there aren't many games that require the tinkering as much. Even when it becomes a thing, I enjoy figuring out how to get the best out of my PC. There's something about doing overclocking and seeing real results in terms of gaming performance. I stream as well and plan on jumping into youtube at some point so PC does offer more than just the best gameplay.

What I'm more curious about is the comparison of PS5 to XSX Jaffe is referencing. Like how does Gamepass compare to PSNow.

jonnyp

Right now I am loving a new FPS called Prodeus. Super violent and bloody but really well paced.

There's also a very cool FPS called ULTRAKILL that blends a bit of FPS with the game VANQUISH with a touch of...hmm...no idea...when you kill enemies they bleed and you get health by being in the splash zone of their blood so there's a great risk/reward to getting close enough to get covered in enemy blood. Creates a very cool dynamic.

TEARDOWN is an amazing physics based heist game where you use cars, trucks, cranes, sledgehammers,etc...kinda ANYTHING (stuff just WORKS) to pull off crimes. It's like GTA 3 was back in the day where you could just TRY stuff. But it's way more robust than that so it feels like there are infinite ways to solve the crimes and whatever you think to try- while you may not win the level- will often times work and/or result in totally surprising changes to the play that you then must adapt to on the fly.

UNPACKING is a demo right now for a game out next year and it is- I kid you not- SIMPLY about unpacking boxes. But it's an amazing narrative where you journey with the unpakcer from childhood, to college, to marriage, and eventually- it would seem- to death. And all the things you take out of the boxes are story elements so you learn about the character thru gameplay and exploring the boxes, not cut scenes. The core game is kind of like tetris in 3D real life environments. Here's a video I made of it:

I get those looking for AAA visual feasts and such will not be into these sorts of things and I totally get that. But for me- a guy who puts the interactive aspect front and center- it's hard to go back to console gaming ONLY after you've been spoiled by PC. But as I say in the PS5 review- PS5 is great for those sorts of Marvel Cinematic Universe style games. For THOSE sorts of games? Seems like PS5 is second to none.

Cheers! Yeah, I've been following Teardown's development for a while - still waiting on upgrading my PC early next year before trying it. Looks like a lot of fun

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
We are literally 5 seconds into the next gen. Xbox doesn't even have a next gen game yet. It's way too premature to use that thread title, which feels clickbait-y. Definitely can appreciate some of the insights, but no one should be judging the Xbox and PS5 gameplay before any games come out.

It used to. And sure, comparatively speaking, it still does. But I'm no tech guy; I used to HATE PC gaming cause of drivers and having to adjust settings and all this crap. And then crashes you don't know how to fix, etc.

Those days are mostly gone with Steam and Epic Game Store and such. From time to time those headaches still crop up. But it's very rare these days.
Yeah it's way better on PC nowadays, thankfully.

However I don't necessarily think that variety = most "gameplay". It's kind of like the 100 monkeys on typewriters producing Shakespeare fallacy. The market necessitates craftmanship which is why walled gardens exits.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
to me it's all about how much do you like to tinker. I am really all about the min max, but with the new tech that's come out recently there aren't many games that require the tinkering as much. Even when it becomes a thing, I enjoy figuring out how to get the best out of my PC. There's something about doing overclocking and seeing real results in terms of gaming performance. I stream as well and plan on jumping into youtube at some point so PC does offer more than just the best gameplay.

What I'm more curious about is the comparison of PS5 to XSX Jaffe is referencing. Like how does Gamepass compare to PSNow.

Gamepass- for me- has been better by far.

PSNow is nice but it's like going into a Gamestop and 90% of your choices are used games. Lot of GREAT games, but stuff that's been around for a while.

Gamepass has this too, for sure. But they also drop first party games day one BUT ALSO TONS of indie and bigger 3rd party publisher games day 1. In the last month alone Gamepass has gotten such gems as:

Hotshot Racing
Ikenfell
Wastland3
Streets of Rage 4
Gears Tactics
Tetris Effect: Connected
Katana Zero (this is over a year old but it's not on PSNow...I just played it...amazing!)
Knights and Bikes
Crusader Kings 3
Msft Flight Sim
Outer Wilds
Spiritfarer

And on and on and on.

So- as per the topic- if you dig playing games that are fresh and unique, Xbox offers more of them at the moment and they offer them frequently as part of Gamepass.

PSNow is really good teach and service wise, but they have a real curation problem over there.

Terenty

Unless Kojipro decides to go full PS5 with no PC release for their next game then not buying PS5 is a no brainer.

Sony has become as predictable and boring as it can get.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
You say "gameplay" but I think you mean variety. And arguably, you get variety with any console, but Gamepass does have that sort of Netflix of gaming thing going for it, I'll give you that. If that's what appeals to someone, the Xbox makes a lot of sense for them. For me, I prefer exclusives. And if an indie title looks like something I can't miss, than it'll either end up on PS4/PS5, or you can just play it on PC.

Ewww.

ipsyk.jpg

Fbh

I appreciate the more grounded take on the controller. Feels like every time there's some new feature like this people doing early impressions freak out...and by the time I get to try it it's just ok.
Like HD rumble on the Switch controllers or the 3D effect on the 3DS.

To me the best combo is still PC for the variety and customization, and then a Ps5 down the line for the cool exclusives.

The argument seems to be more "If you put gameplay first then subscribe to gamepass" as opposed to the merits of the hardware itself.

The Xbox Series X console itself seems to be a bit of an antithesis to this idea. It seems purposely designed to discourage any ideas that would stray away from safe harmogineous design concepts (even down to having their last gen controller be compatible with everything as one of their selling points).

Gamepass- for me- has been better by far.

PSNow is nice but it's like going into a Gamestop and 90% of your choices are used games. Lot of GREAT games, but stuff that's been around for a while.

Gamepass has this too, for sure. But they also drop first party games day one BUT ALSO TONS of indie and bigger 3rd party publisher games day 1. In the last month alone Gamepass has gotten such gems as:

Hotshot Racing
Ikenfell
Wastland3
Streets of Rage 4
Gears Tactics
Tetris Effect: Connected
Katana Zero (this is over a year old but it's not on PSNow...I just played it...amazing!)
Knights and Bikes
Crusader Kings 3
Msft Flight Sim
Outer Wilds
Spiritfarer

And on and on and on.

So- as per the topic- if you dig playing games that are fresh and unique, Xbox offers more of them at the moment and they offer them frequently as part of Gamepass.

PSNow is really good teach and service wise, but they have a real curation problem over there.

Serious question. Do you believe the current gamepass system/price is a sustainable business model?

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Serious question. Do you believe the current gamepass system/price is a sustainable business model?

I have no idea. I know lots of devs so far dig it. But all I know is two things:

a- as a customer, I adore it. If it lasts for 2 more years or becomes the norm, I'm pretty happy with it. My gut says it's the future. Most customers flock to what is convinient, even over things that are clearly better and it's hard to argue against how Gamepass lowers barrier to entry.

b- I assume companies messing with this sort of sub system (be it Gamepass, or Amazon's Luna service) have smarter people than myself who have run the numbers and decided they have a business model they want to invest in. Would seem weird for such big companies to greenlight such expensive programs without a sense of how they will see return on investment.

as1m

Banned
Good review but you put PS5 at the bottom, lower than xbox. Since you allready state that PC has everything, why is XBOX higher than PS5 since the PS5 has at leasst an exclusive? Genuine question.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
You say "gameplay" but I think you mean variety. And arguably, you get variety with any console, but Gamepass does have that sort of Netflix of gaming thing going for it, I'll give you that. If that's what appeals to someone, the Xbox makes a lot of sense for them. For me, I prefer exclusives. And if an indie title looks like something I can't miss, than it'll either end up on PS4/PS5, or you can just play it on PC.

No, I know the difference. Don't get me wrong, the variety is nice too. But I mean mechanics at a moment to moment level, meta mechanics, and how those mechanics are often couched in narrative and/or interesting concepts.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Good review but you put PS5 at the bottom, lower than xbox. Since you allready state that PC has everything, why is XBOX higher than PS5 since the PS5 has at leasst an exclusive? Genuine question.

I put Xbox there because it has Gamepass and Gamepass has been a wealth of day 1 drops for lots of unique games from indies and 3rd party publishers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No ridiculously hot, hot takes here, but I think David Jaffe does a good job speaking for those more critical of Sonys current position in the market with the PS5.

Makes waiting a bit easier if you weren't able to grab a PS5/SX at launch.

LOCK THREAD.

JAFFE BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I spent many hours playing PS5 last night (and I played it into the early morning).

So, naturally, I made a video :).

Here's my review of the Playstation 5, from a person who puts gameplay first and from a guy who has been designing games for 20+ years:

I wholeheartedly appreciate your contribution to the industry.
That said, I believe your statement "PC>XSX>PS5" won't age well.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I put Xbox there because it has Gamepass and Gamepass has been a wealth of day 1 drops for lots of unique games from indies and 3rd party publishers.

Which raises another question for me since Gamepass is already available on PC why would you need two devices running the same services

Last edited:

Agent X

David, I enjoyed watching your video.

I've decided to sit out the launch of these new systems. There simply aren't enough compelling new games for me to justify dropping that kind of money right now. I'm content with sticking with the platforms that I already have. I'll evaluate these systems again once some more interesting games come down the pike.

Top Bottom