• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Put Gameplay FIRST? Then PC>XSX>PS5

Kokoloko85

Blood?

As far as fps like old school Doom, Prodeus is about to come out. It's an excellent game that ticks a lot of the same boxes. Though, it's coming to consoles too.

Though my favorite for quite a while has been:

So much damn fun, and an infinite number of unique .wads you can download.

--------------------------------

Next year is gonna be a stellar time to jump into PC gaming. AMD is bringing the thunder with it's new CPU's not to mention them really putting heat on Nvidia with their new GPU's.

Ooo close, but not Blood. Looks very similar. I recently went through a youtube video with the title of 100 FPS of the 90’s or something like that. and Still couldnt;t find it. I’ll probably find it on my deathbed lol.

Prodeus looks good too.

Yeah Im liking what AMD is doing, defo the reason Im getting a PC again.

Ooo close, but not Blood. Looks very similar. I recently went through a youtube video with the title of 100 FPS of the 90’s or something like that. and Still couldnt;t find it. I’ll probably find it on my deathbed lol.

Prodeus looks good too.

Yeah Im liking what AMD is doing, defo the reason Im getting a PC again.
You're not talking about Rise of the Triad or Heretic either? What else do you remember? I'm curious now... Witchhaven? Powerslave maybe?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You're not talking about Rise of the Triad or Heretic either? What else do you remember. I'm curious now.

Hmmm it Looks very similar to heretic.

I barely remember much. The main character had modern weapons, maybe a crossbow type weapon too (alot like heretic actually), but the enemies were mostly demonic not using weapons. Architecture was not modern or futuristic, but similar to hexen, castle and stone bricks etc. Damn I need to go back in time to see it, hard to explain lol.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This thread, judging by some of the responses, only reinforces how people who are fanatic for a brand end up being blind to other aspects of gaming. It's like being colorblind and thinking all the other colors are shit when you never even tried to make sense of them. I know how it is. Used to be a diehard Sony fanboy during the PS2 era (still my fave of all time but I digress). Gaming > brands.

It's not being blind, but can't see any GOTY contenders from the shovelware he mentioned. Hell, I don't even know what games are those, and some are smartphone level games.

When someone claims such a thing, it should be at least making sense. Most of his games are EXTREMELY regressive in gameplay and everything, boring and repetitive as fuck. Heck, Anthem is galaxies ahead of all of the that list in everything, it's like they are 3-4 generations apart, and that's only Anthem, the laughing stock of the sane gaming industry.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ultrakill: 1980's-like game. Extremely boring, dull, and you need to pay me $10/hour to even think about playing it, and won't take the offer.
As someone who loves these kinds of games I have to ask. What have you seen in Ultrakill that makes you think it's boring?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As someone who loves these kinds of games I have to ask. What have you seen in Ultrakill that makes you think it's boring?

Extremely barebone mechanics/animations/graphics/gameplay. Something you expect from 1990's. If you like it, that only what you need to care about. I liked ME: Andromeda so much and the majority think that saying so is a blasphemy. :messenger_winking_tongue:

lock2k

Banned
It's not being blind, but can't see any GOTY contenders from the shovelware he mentioned. Hell, I don't even know what games are those, and some are smartphone level games.

When someone claims such a thing, it should be at least making sense. Most of his games are EXTREMELY regressive in gameplay and everything, boring and repetitive as fuck. Heck, Anthem is galaxies ahead of all of the that list in everything, it's like they are 3-4 generations apart, and that's only Anthem, the laughing stock of the sane gaming industry.

I wasn't referencing you at all. Also, I don't believe in this GOTY b.s. - I just follow my gut and play what I like. I Will never care about GOTY ir GOTG or any of that crap. I don't even read reviews. It's all browsing and watching gameplay videos to decide what to play. The blind approach gave me experiencies I otherwise wouldn't have.

Just played a shit ton of Tetris Effect Connected and none of these triple A cinematic games (not just Sony, including MS stuff like the latest Gears as well) brings the Joy that this game brings to me. The whole regressive thing is debatable. Who is the gaming police that defines what is progressive or regressive?

Taste is taste and my taste became more varied when I abandoned the "should be loyal to a platform dogma" and went multiplatform. I used to talk a lot of shit about the GameCube and years later it's one of my fave consoles of all time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Extremely barebone mechanics/animations/graphics/gameplay. Something you expect from 1990's. If you like it, that only what you need to care about. I liked ME: Andromeda so much and the majority think that saying so is a blasphemy. :messenger_winking_tongue:
It has innovative mechanics, like using the blood of your enemies to heal yourself or all the alternative modes of the guns, which some are pretty original.

It's also fast as fuck, like a cheaper version of DOOM Eternal. I mean, doesn't does that sound like fun? I think cool graphics and realistic animations are nice to have, but as a secondary thing, not as a fun deciding thing.

And hey, everyone has their own tastes so good for you if you enjoyed ME:A (I didn't :messenger_grinning_sweat:). For example I almost fell asleep playing TLOU2. Very good graphics and animations but also very far of what I would call "fun". And that game will probably take the GOTY (not that I care, but most people seem to do).

lock2k

Banned
It has innovative mechanics, like using the blood of your enemies to heal yourself or all the alternative modes of the guns, which some are pretty original.

It's also fast as fuck, like a cheaper version of DOOM Eternal. I mean, doesn't does that sound like fun? I think cool graphics and realistic animations are nice to have, but as a secondary thing, not as a fun deciding thing.

And hey, everyone has their own tastes so good for you if you enjoyed ME:A (I didn't :messenger_grinning_sweat:). For example I almost fell asleep playing TLOU2. Very good graphics and animations but also very far of what I would call "fun". And that game will probably take the GOTY (not that I care, but most people seem to do).
I'm thinking It might be a generational thing. To me, the trailer of this game was phenomenal and It interests me way more than any triple A. I don't have a breakdown of age of everyone in this thread but from my anecdotal experience me and my gen X and xennial friends are mostly Into fast paced, quirky arcade shit and other gameplay intense styles, ir even jrpgs, whereas the millennial crowd who had a PS as 1st console prefers the cinematic stuff and the Alpha gen doesn't seem to care about great graphics and presentation as much. They love cartoonish stuff and freedom to do their own things in games. It's funny how my daughter's tastes in gaming are more aligned with mine than people that are 5 to 10 Years Younger. Lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wasn't referencing you at all. Also, I don't believe in this GOTY b.s. - I just follow my gut and play what I like. I Will never care about GOTY ir GOTG or any of that crap. I don't even read reviews. It's all browsing and watching gameplay videos to decide what to play. The blind approach gave me experiencies I otherwise wouldn't have.

Just played a shit ton of Tetris Effect Connected and none of these triple A cinematic games (not just Sony, including MS stuff like the latest Gears as well) brings the Joy that this game brings to me. The whole regressive thing is debatable. Who is the gaming police that defines what is progressive or regressive?

Taste is taste and my taste became more varied when I abandoned the "should be loyal to a platform dogma" and went multiplatform. I used to talk a lot of shit about the GameCube and years later it's one of my fave consoles of all time.

Tetris was fun to play so much back in early 1990's, all the games you guys are talking about are extremely old, washed out ideas, very barebone. If you enjoy it, that what really counts. At least mention something like Limbo for innovations, not those BS games that are reskinned multiple times.

Yeah, play DOOM Eternal, I won't judge you then. Well, I don't like DOOM, but looks like fun.

Story is a very critical part of gaming, also music, animations and realism, graphics. This is the problem with most of the PC guys I meat that always shit on consoles, they play old shit like moba MMORPG or whatever those games are called that nerds play. I can imagine wasting $3-5K on a PC to play that BS.

TLOU2 is a phenomenal game, and so much fun, and so immersive.

I think most of you guys are suffering from nostalgia fixation. You are the guys regressing the gaming industry by demanding old games on next gen, going even further to 2-4 generations back.

Going to PS5, won't give a fuck about PS4 games. Going from PS3 to PS4, I gave away more than 200 games to friends. Sadly, my games are 99% digital now, would love to make someone happy as I won't touch them. If I feel some nostalgia I watch like 5 minutes of old game every 1-5 years and that's enough to bring a smile and move on.

I do find the almost exclusive attention on AAA games here a bit weird. It’s like a movie forum discussing nothing but Marvel and Nolan that’s probably exactly what movie forums do. I absolutely enjoy AAA games a lot but I’m very glad that PC exists to allow for more experimentation.

Raonak

Banned
Imo, PS5 is the best place to play because you get a little bit of everything.

on PS5 I can play playing cinematic games but it also has hardcore action games, platformers, narrative adventures, racing games, fighting games, multiplayer service games, etc.

PC has more variety due to the open nature, I completely see value in having both. PS has high quality exclusives and PC has a high quantity of exclusives.

But how the exactly does Xbox do better gameplay than PS when they have almost the same library?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Dude...I haven't played Forza in a long time...I completely forgot that was a thing.
I forgot too, but I went back and played FH4 last night and while braking was thinking, damn this is a nice feature, why aren't other games using it?

lock2k

Banned
Tetris was fun to play so much back in early 1990's, all the games you guys are talking about are extremely old, washed out ideas, very barebone. If you enjoy it, that what really counts. At least mention something like Limbo for innovations, not those BS games that are reskinned multiple times.

Yeah, play DOOM Eternal, I won't judge you then. Well, I don't like DOOM, but looks like fun.

Story is a very critical part of gaming, also music, animations and realism, graphics. This is the problem with most of the PC guys I meat that always shit on consoles, they play old shit like moba MMORPG or whatever those games are called that nerds play. I can imagine wasting $3-5K on a PC to play that BS.

TLOU2 is a phenomenal game, and so much fun, and so immersive.

I think most of you guys are suffering from nostalgia fixation. You are the guys regressing the gaming industry by demanding old games on next gen, going even further to 2-4 generations back.

Going to PS5, won't give a fuck about PS4 games. Going from PS3 to PS4, I gave away more than 200 games to friends. Sadly, my games are 99% digital now, would love to make someone happy as I won't touch them. If I feel some nostalgia I watch like 5 minutes of old game every 1-5 years and that's enough to bring a smile and move on.
Good for you. I don't know why you get so worked up about It. Different strokes, different folks.

Couldn't agree more. Don't care about graphics/resolution too much as time went by. However, I like games that Nintendo puts out and xbox game pass for the unique games that come out.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I'm allergic to old games.:messenger_confounded:
Take this

daggerfall.jpg

and this

312047-test-drive-iii-the-passion-dos-screenshot-a-nice-little-back.png

It's too narrow a distinction for YOU. For me, I play games to PLAY

There is a night and day difference in the ease of playability between consoles and PC.

Forget about doing the research and taking the time to define the specs needed to play your favorite or anticipated games on PC, pressing the power button on your a controller and having your console boot up in seconds with your gaming library accessible is unprecedented and pretty much erased any gains PC gaming made this last gen in terms of accessibility with consoles.

Before you make the distinction that you were strictly speaking about quality of the games themselves, the Xbox & Playstation library is almost identical with or without gamepass. Subscription services is just another way to consume the medium and the fact that all the gaming sales charts (NPD, etc) is dominated by games NOT on gamepass shows that quantity is not what consumers are looking for. People actually prefer to buy the games they want to play (and actually have ownership and not pay $120 a year where a corporation has total control and can remove/replace games without notice, thank goodness)

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
There is a night and day difference in the ease of playability between consoles and PC.

Forget about doing the research and taking the time to define the specs needed to play your favorite or anticipated games on PC, pressing the power button on your a controller and having your console boot up in seconds with your gaming library accessible is unprecedented and pretty much erased any gains PC gaming made this last gen in terms of accessibility with consoles.

Before you make the distinction that you were strictly speaking about quality of the games themselves, the Xbox & Playstation library is almost identical with or without gamepass. Subscription services is just another way to consume the medium and the fact that all the gaming sales charts (NPD, etc) is dominated by games NOT on gamepass shows that quantity is not what consumers are looking for. People actually prefer to buy the games they want to play (and actually have ownership and not pay $120 a year where a corporation has total control and can remove/replace games without notice, thank goodness)

Do you have a PC? I don't mean that in a dick way but both things you cite are simply not true.

I've not worried about the specs of my PC in the 3 years I've had it. I go to Steam or Epic or GOG and shit just works. Maybe 1% of the time there's an issue but you're writing about PC gaming like it's still the box gaming days where you'd get it home and there'd be a 50/50 shot if the damn thing even worked.

There is nothing but mounds of evidence to easily disprove this sentence you wrote: the Xbox & Playstation library is almost identical with or without gamepass.

Do you have a PC? I don't mean that in a dick way but both things you cite are simply not true.

I've not worried about the specs of my PC in the 3 years I've had it. I go to Steam or Epic or GOG and shit just works. Maybe 1% of the time there's an issue but you're writing about PC gaming like it's still the box gaming days where you'd get it home and there'd be a 50/50 shot if the damn thing even worked.

I'm talking about prospective PC owners or people that are deciding between all three platforms. Accessibility is a huge part of the gameplay experience and is one of the reasons why the Switch is so popular right now. Which brings me back to my previous point:
Forget about doing the research and taking the time to define the specs needed to play your favorite or anticipated games on PC, pressing the power button on your a controller and having your console boot up in seconds with your gaming library accessible is unprecedented...

There is nothing but mounds of evidence to easily disprove this sentence you wrote: the Xbox & Playstation library is almost identical with or without gamepass.

Branding, pricing, ecosystem (online features, etc) and the minority of exclusives is what separates them. The vast majority of the total library is identical. That's not debatable.

Last edited:

iHaunter

I spent many hours playing PS5 last night (and I played it into the early morning).

So, naturally, I made a video :).

Here's my review of the Playstation 5, from a person who puts gameplay first and from a guy who has been designing games for 20+ years:

My friends from all over NJ literally came to my house today to try the PS5. I was the only one able to get it. The smiles on their faces playing Astro's playroom with the adaptive triggers going crazy, etc. Something you can never replace with just raw power. I generally play on PC, but the PS5 experience is so different I can't help but put it first.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I'm talking about prospective PC owners or people that are deciding between all three platforms. Accessibility is a huge part of the gameplay experience and is one of the reasons why the Switch is so popular right now. Which brings me back to my previous point:

Branding, pricing, ecosystem (online features, etc) and the minority of exclusives is what separates them. The vast majority of the total library is identical. That's not debatable.

Just to be clear, are you saying the vast majority of the games on PC are identical to the games on consoles?

Ivan

davidjaffe davidjaffe

I like your way of thinking and respect your views and I'm glad you're putting gameplay at the most important place, but I can't agree about the state of pc gaming as a whole.

I wonder if you have missed the golden age, 1994-2000. for example, or a bit earlier. If you're feeling that way TODAY, what would you say about the 90s? Just a bare look at these pictures makes me wanna cry about the current state of pc gaming.

What's even worse, I hear that pc gaming is the best that it's ever been every day. I couldn't disagree more.

Just a glance at those pictures is enough for me to realize how far we are from it.

I still love pc gaming, but I really hope we're gonna start getting real pc focused games from bigger developers again.

All those indie attempts at retro approach feel way too forced to me. Some of the greatest results were a consequence of working under real constraints, and today they are faking those constraints, be it 8-bit style or early 3D stuff that's just starting to get made by indies again. That's just not it (for me at least). It feels too fan servicey and plays on nostalgia way too much.

When some of those legendary PC games were being made, we had industry's top teams with top budgets for the time working full steam trying to make groundbreaking stuff. Small indie teams of today can't replicate that, they can just try to immitate some of the aspects.

It is not ~2008. bad for PC, but it is far from it's best years. Compare this to today's scene:

pc-gaming.jpg

pc-gaming-2.jpg

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I play on PC and PS for exclusives. I’ve never needed an XBox. Seems like a waste of money with everything being on PC.

Good console though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh bless you heart. You think anyone gives a shit if you judge them?!? That's...well, hell. That would be cute in a naive way if it wasn't so embarrassing for you.

Hey, as a person you have good vibes of a great character gaming aside. So please accept my apologies if my thoughts annoyed you. Enjoy whatever game you like, that what matters.:lollipop_raising_hand:

To me, it's like trying to convince vegans that meat is the most delicious thing, but I have many vegan friends from outside the country. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I still hate the term "gameplay" (and yeah, mea culpa I use it all the time myself) because its so vague and open to personal interpretation.

We could spend literally days hashing it out and I doubt we'd reach a consensus. Especially as its entirely possible to equally appreciate titles that take diametrically opposed approaches in terms of player agency, mechanics, etc. The things that define the way the thing is experienced.

To David's point, I agree to the extent that if you are looking for variety, PC simply can't be beat. However that being said, I prefer the low-friction, low maintenance console option as my primary device.

Mainly because as I've gotten older I've come to the realization that I'm happier with a relative handful of games that I love than a smorgasbord of titles that I kinda, sorta like.

Last edited:

trikster40

For me, I just prefer the ease and environment of consoles. Used to be a big PC gamer back in the day, but got tired of forking out for new CPUs, GPUs, ram, etc etc every other year.

I get the same experience for a fraction of the price that’s guaranteed to last me 6-7 years. Not to mention the tons of exclusives that I just couldn’t play on PC.

As forXB vs PS, right now, PS trounces XB for gameplay. I’ve got the full catalog of PS4 and PS now on top of the phenomenal launch games. Almost done with Miles Morales, about to start Demons Souls, not to mention the 5 hours I got Thursday just with AstroBot. Sackboys waiting on the shelf. And Bugsnax is legit fun esp with my kids.

Maybe David’s dyslexic or forgot that the open mouth eats the greater number and just put them backwards.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

PC is OK, but I much prefer consoles. Just easier to set up and take with you. Sometimes I might bring it over to a friends/family home to play some shit because they don’t have the system. I’m not about to pick up my PC an do the same. I probably got like 10 games on PC, mostly fighters, still I think XSX>PS5>PC in terms of gaming especially 3rd party. Sure PC will be the best in terms of performance but man sometimes setting up 2 players on PC can be a pain. Especially random errors. Never happen on console to me.

need to have game first before talking about gameplay
You can just take your pick of the 36,879 roughly available for PC if you want. Though, that's probably a bit low as I don't think Origins was included in that tally. Or the shit that isn't available via the major stores too. Or the libraries playable via emulation. Hell, you could probably tackle another 10,000 onto that number(at a minimum) if you include emulation.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Boss Man

I have neither yet, but am planning to switch to Xbox for Gamepass. I have a 4K HDR TV so I’m on the hunt for a Series X, but the value proposition of an Xbox Series S with gamepass for someone who doesn’t own a 4K TV is pretty incredible to me.

In terms of exclusives, God of War is the only PS franchise that I get excited about and the acquisition of Bethesda easily eclipses that.

The new UI on PS5 looks slick though, and I hope Xbox gets into the VR space and competes with PSVR2.

If there was a good couch gaming OS for PC I probably would have been there a few years ago, but even still the value offered by consoles seems a lot better.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I have what I consider a mid-end pc.
Ryzen 5 3600
32gb ddr4 3200
Rtx 2060 6gb oc'ed 2050/8000
Nvme drive.
Xbox One and PS4 controllers with adapters.
Game pass ultimate.

I'm feeling like I had a Series X all along... Nothing I see so far feels better than my current rig.
I wonder what make you put the XSX ahead of PS5. I mean, comparable GFX, more nextgen exclusives (the first year lineup looks insane) and an controller that is receiving universally praise. To me it's PC>XSX=PS5 at this point. If you have a somewhat decent pc like me, XSX make no sense at all, I already have access to the games, ps5 is the one who expand my access to games. If you are a console only kind a guy, either one is fine, if you have a gaming pc, ps5 is the way to go.

Top Bottom