• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think it will be possible for Nintendo to ever create a Mario game as groundbreaking as Mario64 was?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Every Mario game since then has been superb, but still not quite as magical as Mario64 was.

What will it take? VR? Some kind of next gen motion control technology? Or maybe a standard sticks and buttons game, but simply executed flawlessly?

Never thought I'd say this but Nintendo already did.

Super Mario Odyssey.

2144146.jpg

Incredible game play, graphics, play mechanics, highly refined 3D camera and fantastic musical score.

I pretty much look at Odyssey as the "big brother" to Mario 64 anyways.

Sadly we never got Super Mario 64 sequel-the urban legend worthy Super Mario 128.

Hopefully we'll get a proper Super Mario Odyssey 2

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_ojq3otnhXM1qz5u6yo1_500.gif

Calverz

Simple answer is no. The leap from 2d to 3d was so big, it cant be repeated again. The fact that each console that comes out just reiterates is proof of this.
The only thing it could do would be VR or something.

Never thought I'd say this but Nintendo already did.

Super Mario Odyssey.

2144146.jpg

Incredible game play, graphics, play mechanics, highly refined 3D camera and fantastic musical score.

I pretty much look at Odyssey as the "big brother" to Mario 64 anyways.

Sadly we never got Super Mario 64 sequel-the urban legend worthy Super Mario 128.

Hopefully we'll get a proper Super Mario Odyssey 2

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_ojq3otnhXM1qz5u6yo1_500.gif
What ground did oddessy break then? How was it groundbreaking? It's a great game, sure but that's not the meaning of groundbreaking.

carlosrox

Banned
the concept of bowswer fury came to mind and a full fledge open world mario game could be ground breaking.

Oh I see. Sorry. That makes more sense. Yeah a Mario game with one huge level as big as the botw map would be interesting.

An open world Mario game could definitely be amazing. It really just needs to be super dense with numerous forms of travel, sky and underwater stuff, great level design, and all kinds of crazy platforming everywhere.

The more the merrier. Have as many Mario enemies and items in as possible.

Let us fly super high in the sky with Cape or Raccoon Mario and then let us sky dive down and into a sunken ship with the frog suit. Let that transition from space to sky to water be seamless.

That's the best Mario game ever made. Fuck, Nintendo should hire me.

Regginator

If we're talking setting an industry standard in a revolutionary new way, just like how Mario 64 shattered the novel 3D scene back then, I don't think we'll get anything like that again. Maybe when we get another revolutionary medium, for example when VR gets mainstream, but I don't know how a Mario game would work that way. Then again, Nintendo has surprised us before.

If we're talking flawless execution, they already did in 2017, as others have mentioned already. Super Mario Odyssey is the best Mario game since 64, and arguably the best 3D platformer of all-time right now. I absolutely loved Galaxy, I still do, but Odyssey went above and beyond. I don't know how they do it and how they come up with these crazy ideas, but throwing your fucking cap around to transform is a phenomenal way of switching (no pun intended) up the gameplay in an amazing way.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
What ground did oddessy break then? How was it groundbreaking? It's a great game, sure but that's not the meaning of groundbreaking.
Odyssey's hat mechanic is a nice innovation and evolution of powerups but I will never tire of saying that moon acquisition and level structure in the game are both uneven, subpar and unsatisfying with the Bunny bosses weird and somewhat repetitive. I played it once and have no desire to replay while I have replayed both 64 and Galaxy a few times.

The music is mostly forgettable. It IS NOT worthy to be spoken about in the same breath as Mario 64 that transported you into 3D for the very first time.

No. way. in. hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom