• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the review scores will hurt Starfield's sales?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
87-88 is a very good score but many were expecting it to be Bethesda's magnum opus and a rival to Skyrim in terms of critical acclaim. Turns out it's not the case. Do you think those review scores will hurt the sales of the games or it won't make a difference?

CamHostage

Sales? Where we're going, we don't need sales...

jbareham_220118_ecl1087_stock_xbox_one_pass.6.jpg

Last edited:

TheZink

I have Gamepass. I had purchased the EA version but I canceled my pre-order this afternoon after the reviews dropped. Ill just play next week for free.

Robb

Gold Member
Definitely not. It might not be a 95+ but it’s still scoring on the upper end. If anything I think the current scores alongside word-of-mouth/buzz will only improve sales.

Dane

Need a Cyberpunk tier of shit scenario, so we need more hours in to see if its going to be fucked up, but seems that its not going to be the case.

Last edited:
I personally played that game twice and loved that game and still do. If it wasn’t for Armored Core VI it would have been my GOTY.
Both great games.

But as a LOT of users pointed out, the disappointment in some come from the fact that they were expecting something out of this world, especially after all the hype the gam has/had

Pagusas

Elden Member
No, its a Bethesda game. Once influencers and viral videos of insane scenerios and stupidly cool things you can do get out, it'll catch on like a constantly reigniting wild fire. Just like Skyrim. You'll be hearing about this game for the next 10 years.

There will be rereleases, special editions, DLC, next gen upgrades. Its going to have uber long legs, just like all Bethesda games (That TH directs).

Last edited:
It should sell very well on xbox and ofc tons of player engagement on GP, but I'm more curious how it will go on PC since the game seems to be quite heavy on both GPU and CPU.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Both great games.

But as a LOT of users pointed out, the disappointment in some come from the fact that they were expecting something out of this world, especially after all the hype the gam has/had
There is nothing wrong being hype for a game but there are people who take it to the extreme.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I actually doubt that the review scores in this instance will have any tangible effect on the sales of the game. Most are probably playing it on game pass anyways.

T4keD0wN

I dont see how sales and review scores correlate. Trailers sell games and not reviews and they had some pretty good ones.

Call of Duty and Fifa have terrible scores every year and still outsell everything.

Last edited:
I would never buy this I this state.

I don't mean the bugs. I mean the lack of space exploration. The not ability to fly away or towards a planet when in Orbit.
The lack of vehicles to explore the planets.
The partial awful looking graphics.
The Tiles on the Planets and it's maximum of five.

At the moment my expectations were fullfilled.
A game with ambitious Targets, delivers every aspect at alow level. Maybe not all, Storytelling ist good for sure. But all the rest is half baked and technically limited due to the old engine.

Holy shit, Zelda managed it to be nearly perfect cohesive.

I just can't accept that I can spend hours in the ship builder and cannot fly over the plantet.

In a world where exploration is a feature, and mankind building advanced spaceships, I cannot grab a vehicle out of the cargo bay in my ship? Seriously?

OK, this is a choice Todd made, but it simply destroys every logic and I am completely out!

In Zelda you realize that you can do more than you think, that is what gives you a good feeling.
In Starfield, without playing it, I expect the opposite.

Hopefully I am completely wrong, and my worries vaporizing when I play the game and was caught by the awesome Story.

I hope so, because I loved Fallout 3.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not massively on PC or xbox. Its going to be huge, just like fallout before it.

Game pass will affect sales though. But I imagine they will have sold loads of premium upgrades.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

The marketing and the hype behind it will carry it fine, and the game is successful. The reviews aren't in a poor state by any means. I think a lot of folks are trying to make this into a situation it's not, because they WANT it to be in a particular situation that it's not in. (They want it to fail.)

It will be more than fine.

Same as a lot of people did with FFXVI.
Imagine if some people could enjoy games instead of using them as surrogates for their console wars

The incessant shitting up of the official FFXVI thread by certain individuals was basically ignored by the mods here because they didn't like it much either so I guess it was ok

Last edited:

Killer8

This game will easily sell over 25 million copies over the next 5 years on the back of mods. Reviews don't even matter, although the game is already sitting at 87 on Metacritic so it's not like it doesn't have that going for it either.

KXVXII9X

I think with how much hype this game got and it being expected to be the next Skyrim, I can see the reviews affecting it a little. I think it will still sell a lot and if this was a regular game, the scores would definitely be decent. I only saw IGN's review and it wasn't the score that deters me but what is said within the review that makes me hesitant about even investing time in it. I can even get it free on gamePass with my Microsoft Rewards.

I know myself and I could just feel the fatigue and aimlessness just listening to the review. The animations still look subpar, and the footage shown just looks average. It didn't exactly have the atmosphere I was anticipating. For all of those developer videos and hype before showing footage talking it up, it should have a better score. It doesn't reflect well on Xbox that their biggest game of the generation is a 7. Both Xbox and PlayStation have been a let down and I still fail to see any reason to buy either console.

Eotheod

You know the vast majority don't give a shit about scores right? They care about what their friends are playing or what the tv/tiktok tells them to play. If it looks cool they'll play it.

Do people really think the general public, who fucking adore CoD and FIFA, give a shit about some journalist on a website saying words?
I bought into the hype and ordered the Premium Edition on Steam.

Now after the reviews I kind of wished I didn't....
It isn't like the game is a pile of poop or something. As an early poster pointed out, it's scoring the same as Spider-Man, which has now sold 20 million copies. Maybe don't go for hype and instead buy a game for your own interest. You'll never find any reviewer that completely meets your interest because you yourself are unique.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I don't see why it would negatively impact sales. There are plenty of glowing reviews of the game already. More important to a games success these days (from my perspective) is if streamers spend time with it.

dottme

People wonder why journalist score game so high and they don’t use the full scale.
Then you have people creating thread complaining there game didn’t get 99/100.

Seriously, 88 is really good and the game should do good.

KXVXII9X

Probably because it has too much gameplay and not much of movies so it scored lower than 90 on MC... You know which type of gamers I'm talking about
This is such a strawman argument, and you know it. Game like Zelda TotK, Elden Ring, Armored Core 6, Pikmin 4, and Baldur's Gate 3 all scored high, and they aren't exactly "movie" games. Meanwhile, games like Fort Solis and Immortals of Aveum scored fairly low. The constant whining about movie games when most games moved to Live Service, Soulslike, Roguelikes, and survival-based games is really pathetic.

Top Bottom