• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the review scores will hurt Starfield's sales?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Do you weirdos even realize how averages work? lol

This game will sale great this gen, next gen, and the gen after lol just like Skyrim.

Bry0

the boxes are getting mod support and you can hook up mouse and key to them no problem..

The 30fps is indeed disappointing, but I bet you they would've sold considerably more xbox consoles if the game was exclusive to it compared to the current situation.
And it sold considerably more copies being on steam day 1. That’s a great move to let people play on their MS platform of choice. Who cares how many Xboxes they sell if it comes at the cost screwing the massive PC market?

The more platforms the better imo.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So in the end Spider-Man 2 will score higher than this?

200.gif

noise36

Its reviewing better or similar to a lot of games that were very commercially successful this generation.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

For the launch period it'll probably have a tiny impact because there are people - even ones I'm old friends with - that won't buy a game if IGN give it less than an 8, and even at an 8 it has to be a game they can play quick and trade for most of its value.

What I think is most damaging is that the IGN US review has a lot of text to substantiate the 7/10 score, and other late reviewers will probably read that review and then consider if they agree or disagree with the text before giving a score, potentially pulling down the aggregate and impacting the long term sales and gamepass subs effect.

In many ways I suspect IGN returned to a classic review of no-free-passes for teething issues, after the internet collectively told reviewers that review scores don't matter, and IGN have used this review to recover much lost credibility after the debacle with codes being withheld from many outlets, so I'm not even sure if a performance mode hitting 60fps or a PS5 version would have inched the IGN reviewer higher on the score when it feels like a solid right up and score was for taking some journalistic integrity back.

I'll probably still test the game out via a gamepass trial at some point, if a demo doesn't become available sooner, but the IGN review saying it might take 20hours to feel compelled to keep playing killed most of my FOMO to buy or gamepass on PC at day 1. I'm currently playing the new Zelda and enjoying it, but found the first 4hrs of that game a chore and nearly benched it, so 20hrs before clicking probably isn't for me.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I would never buy this I this state.

I don't mean the bugs. I mean the lack of space exploration. The not ability to fly away or towards a planet when in Orbit.
The lack of vehicles to explore the planets.
The partial awful looking graphics.
The Tiles on the Planets and it's maximum of five.

At the moment my expectations were fullfilled.
A game with ambitious Targets, delivers every aspect at alow level. Maybe not all, Storytelling ist good for sure. But all the rest is half baked and technically limited due to the old engine.

Holy shit, Zelda managed it to be nearly perfect cohesive.

I just can't accept that I can spend hours in the ship builder and cannot fly over the plantet.

In a world where exploration is a feature, and mankind building advanced spaceships, I cannot grab a vehicle out of the cargo bay in my ship? Seriously?

OK, this is a choice Todd made, but it simply destroys every logic and I am completely out!

In Zelda you realize that you can do more than you think, that is what gives you a good feeling.
In Starfield, without playing it, I expect the opposite.

Hopefully I am completely wrong, and my worries vaporizing when I play the game and was caught by the awesome Story.

I hope so, because I loved Fallout 3.
So you wanted a spaceship simulator and all you got was this RPG?

Matsuchezz

Another 1 year delay for it to get a 90+ among all sites was needed. Phil Spencer green lighting unfinished product again. Another turd down the crapper. Gamepass quality all over it. If this was their aaa I don’t want to see their b- games straight to gamepass is the same like straight to video for movies.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I sat on the fence about buying the premium upgrade and ended up buying it after the scores were published.

It's funny (well, not really) that IGN USA gave it a 7 but the IGN in Spain and Japan think it's a 10/10 masterpiece, IGN Brasil think it's 9.5/10 and IGN France say 9/10.

I think there's enough indication that if you thought you might like the game, then you'll likely enjoy it.

Tbh, I'm surprised at the spread. To contextualize it, certified disaster, Redfall came to rest at 56. Starfield's reviews include a 58. There's something not being your cup of tea and there's wondering if you're being objective or not.

Crayon

Nah. These games are rare. Even if it doesn't meet all expectations, it's not like there are a bunch of true alternatives. This game could rate a 60 and I would be like "I'll just have to see for myself" and buy it anyway. If I decide I don't like it, fine. But I'm not taking metacritic's word for it.

twilo99

And it sold considerably more copies being on steam day 1. That’s a great move to let people play on their MS platform of choice. Who cares how many Xboxes they sell if it comes at the cost screwing the massive PC market?

The more platforms the better imo.

That is obviously their strategy and A LOT of people will disagree with you and tell you that making games console exclusive is the only way you can win in this business as a console maker. Games sell boxes and all of that .

Success

Cope.

Any person who is saying that these disappointing review scores of mid 80's won't affect sales is on the Phil Spencer Copiom Ultimate Delux Edition.

Starfield was meant to become the next Skyrim. A generational shift in gaming with high praise all around even with the Bethesda jank.

Starfield sales will be terrible for a first part big budget Bethesda game.

The needed 90+ Metacritic at least.

twilo99

I sat on the fence about buying the premium upgrade and ended up buying it after the scores were published.

It's funny (well, not really) that IGN USA gave it a 7 but the IGN in Spain and Japan think it's a 10/10 masterpiece, IGN Brasil think it's 9.5/10 and IGN France say 9/10.

I think there's enough indication that if you thought you might like the game, then you'll likely enjoy it.

Tbh, I'm surprised at the spread. To contextualize it, certified disaster, Redfall came to rest at 56. Starfield's reviews include a 58. There's something not being your cup of tea and there's wondering if you're being objective or not.

Yes so what's the IGN average score then lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
Cope.

Any person who is saying that these disappointing review scores of mid 80's won't affect sales is on the Phil Spencer Copiom Ultimate Delux Edition.

Starfield was meant to become the next Skyrim. A generational shift in gaming with high praise all around even with the Bethesda jank.

Starfield sales will be terrible for a first part big budget Bethesda game.

The needed 90+ Metacritic at least.
...is this a joke post?

twilo99

Another 1 year delay for it to get a 90+ among all sites was needed. Phil Spencer green lighting unfinished product again. Another turd down the crapper. Gamepass quality all over it. If this was their aaa I don’t want to see their b- games straight to gamepass is the same like straight to video for movies.

It would've been much worse if they didn't delay it, if anything, Phil saved it!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Do I think review scores impact sales to an extent? Obviously. If it got a 98 I am sure there are people who might not be interested who would jump on board to see what the hubub was about.

But an 88 is not low enough to deter sales. You won't see canceled pre-order or a massive backlash because the game is simply "very good" and not "game of the generation."

I think the long tail of the game is going to depend on things like post-game content, mods, expansions, streaming, and community. Those things will probably have a bigger impact on the game's continued sales than launch reviews.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Yes so what's the IGN average score then lol

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I guess it's 9.1, unless there are other IGN's I don't know about (tbh, I didn't realise they didn't just translate their USA reviews until it was pointed out today).

My point was that even across the same brand, the scores can go from 10 to 7/10. That's a pretty big indication that if you thought you might not like it, maybe don't bother but if you thought you would, go for it, you'll likely be happy.

twilo99

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I guess it's 9.1, unless there are other IGN's I don't know about (tbh, I didn't realise they didn't just translate their USA reviews until it was pointed out today).

My point was that even across the same brand, the scores can go from 10 to 7/10. That's a pretty big indication that if you thought you might not like it, maybe don't bother but if you thought you would, go for it, you'll likely be happy.

Good point.

Swings like that are expected for a game like that

Bry0

That is obviously their strategy and A LOT of people will disagree with you and tell you that making games console exclusive is the only way you can win in this business as a console maker. Games sell boxes and all of that .
people are missing the forest for the trees. I agree it would probably sell more Xboxes, but would it generate more revenue overall? os selling more Xboxes how Microsoft would actually define success for the brand? Or is this just console warz fodder?

Last edited:
87-88 is a very good score but many were expecting it to be Bethesda's magnum opus and a rival to Skyrim in terms of critical acclaim. Turns out it's not the case. Do you think those review scores will hurt the sales of the games or it won't make a difference?
Nope, they didn't hurt Fallout 4's sales nor did they stop Fallout New Vegas from achieving it's legendary status.

It seemed with the IGN review he mainly tagged them on the score for the slow boil progression since most of the other complaints seemed to tied to that…oddly enough other reviewers appreciated the slow burn.

And it’s odd him bringing up loving Fallout 4 too before complaining about not being able to sneak well, or use the jet pack, or mod equipment or create a massive settlement right away in Starfield. Like did the guy only play it modded?

I think the review was a little weird considering the preface he wrote, but at the same time fair; the guy truly didn’t like the starting grind and felt it went on too long, while ending up in the end wanting to play more in the end, and encouraged people to get past it to the good part. The score just seemed weighted to his initial impression somewhat, but it’s a number.…What number do you give something that you hate at the beginning and love at the end?

Wildebeest

Reputation and understanding the concept means a lot to people. Reviews are part of reputation, but so is recent track record, of which they don't have anything good. In terms of understanding the concept, space exploration is something that people maybe get, although generally less loved than super generic historical fantasy, but in terms of what people understand to be space exploration it seems Starfield lines up with expectations in confusing ways. There also seems to be something of a return to the Daggerfall ocean with the depth of a puddle type design rather than the more commercially proven Morrowind design of a limited open world with unique locations.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Because it did.

Bethesda is not some indie, AA, or low AAA game studio.

It is a premium AAA+ game developer.

So getting mid 80's is a tragedy relative to what they should be scoring.
That explains why you guys gets so easily disappointed in most games.

I guess don’t understand mind-set of people so much value in “scores” so much.

Hoppa

I would've got the premium edition for early access to play over the weekend if it scored in the 90s but now I'll wait - in saying this though, I'm not a Sci Fi guy and Bethesda games rarely hold my interest. Game still looks quality though so will try it out next week.

Batiman

Banned
Man some of these posts….

People really wanted this to score low. Now that it didn’t they somehow are convincing themselves it has. You’d think it was getting 60% reading some of these posts. Holy fuck people lol. People really do lose their shit over video games. Embarrassing stuff

Crayon

Honestly you should look more closely at steam reviews because that's where it's actually going to sell. And a lot of steam users trust those reviews. They can be wacky but I'll still take the steam user score average over metacritic.

xrnzaaas

I think they will matter less than with most games. The majority will play it thanks to Game Pass and the Bethesda fans already had their copies pre-ordered.

mejin

Ofc It will.

But GP and not available on PlayStation are the reasons It won't be a blockbuster like Skyrim or Fallout.

Success

That explains why you guys gets so easily disappointed in most games.

I guess don’t understand mind-set of people so much value in “scores” so much.

Exactly.

You are out of touch with how the current world of gaming works.

At least you are aware of it. Most people don't even realize it.

The reason why games like Hades and Buldur's Gate 3 blew up is because of amazing 95+ score reviews.

If either game got middling high 80's then they would not be GoTY material.

Starfield failed to produce the minimum bar of at least 90+.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Most people aren't losers on internet gaming forums and don't give a fuck about 'review scores', or 'metacritic averages'. They don't give a shit.

This is a ridiculous thread, and there are many people here who need to go outside for a bit.

Top Bottom