• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think the review scores will hurt Starfield's sales?

feynoob

Banned
Consistency is impossible for MS to achieve because they have a super high churn rate at their studios and are dead set on mainly hiring short term contractors. MS studios are doomed to failure until there is a change at the very top.
That is false.
MS issues has always been having the studios needed to fill those gaps out.
Now they have those studios, it's time to provide those 3-4 games a year.
23 studios is enough to make 4 games a year for 5-6 years.

Their problems has always been not investing on the platforms during critical periods (Og Xbox and X360). Something which I have talked alot in this platform.

You can't go out for 1 year and 9 months with just 1 AAA game, after releasing a console with no AAA game for 7 month. That is grounded for failure

Also, the current management is trash as hell. It's why I can't invest on their platform.

Flutta

Banned
Lmao pc gamer and ign has been shit for years.

Game is an easy 9
Lies No GIF

Game looks average. Needed more time in the oven That’s for sure.

Majukun

Unfortunately for MS, this game doesn't have the Fallout brand attached to it's name. It's not comparable as this is a new IP.

Also, it's not on PlayStation.
elden ring being a new franchise didn't hinder it a tiny bit.

we are long past the times where you needed a recognised brand attached to sell, baldur's gate is an historical franchise but not exactly a strong one in the present landscape and yet...

the internet makes good games known

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The real questions are :
Does not being on PlayStation hurt sells or will we see an increase in Xbox sells?

Flutta

Banned
Game isn't average.
Creation engine is limiting this game.
Constant loading screen isn't acceptable in this DNA age. Making game on creation engine is limiting their vision.

If you like Bethesda games, you will love this games aside of loading screen.
Game has more issues than loading screen.

Bad enemy AI, mediocre main story, outdated animations, bugs everywhere,
No space exploration whatsoever….do i need to continue?

Like i said average at best, just because people like certain games does not make them immunte to being average.

kaizenkko

Clearly the sales weren't enough.

Do you think that Sony would refuse to make a sequel to a game that made an insane amount of money, and was hugely popular, but didn't have a high enough Metacritic average?

Come on.
Former developers have aswers this question. lol

Speaking in a recent interview with God of War and Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe (which you can view in full below), Garvin said that “Metacritic is everything” as far as Sony is concerned, and went on to suggest that Days Gone’s low Metacritic score was responsible for both his departure and Days Gone 2’s cancellation.

Also, Rafa Grassetti, former art director of Sony Santa Monica, have talk recently about that.

Flutta

Banned
The real questions are :
Does not being on PlayStation hurt sells or will we see an increase in Xbox sells?
A bit of both, but i do believe GP is hurting the sales the most here.

If i remember correctly Phil Said that they estimated 10 mil copies being sold on PS. So there’s that.

yazenov

we are long past the times where you needed a recognised brand attached to sell, baldur's gate is an historical franchise but not exactly a strong one in the present landscape and yet...

Elden Ring had an open critics score of 95 so I don't know how this is even a good comparison between Elden Ring and Starfield. It also has a luxury of being on the most popular console which is a luxury Starfield doesn't have.

Add to the fact that you can get the game for "free" on Game pass which won't help in its unit sales no doubt.

What's up with these non sense comparisons. It's like people are trying to compare this game to games that sold well due to different factors and hope it's stick together.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

Twitch, YouTube, YouTube live, tiktok.
With all these social media, you can see the gameplay and your favorite streamers playing the game.
Plus the game is a content which can generate money for streamers. Gamepass/70$ will means more content for their channel.

A game like starfield will lit the the Internet with all these content.

feynoob

Banned
Elden Ring had an open critics score of 95 so I don't know how this is even a good comparison between Elden Ring and Starfield. It also has a luxury of being on the most popular console which is a luxury Starfield doesn't have.

Add to the fact that you can get the game for "free" on Game pass which won't help in its unit sales no doubt.

What's up with these non sense comparisons. It's like people are trying to compare this game to games that sold well due to different factors and hope it's stick together.

Man, gamepass isn't free. You are paying 17$ a month for it. And game like starfield is not enough for subscription service, considering how long it takes.
People will buy the game.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The difference is that Sony don't desesperated need a game to score that good, the overall public perception about Sony is that they develop some of the best games in the market. Microsoft, by the other side, needs to prove themselves. They have buy Bethesda for what, 9 billions? That's a lot of money and, at the end of the day, they still can't develop a game who match Sony's best studios creations (The Last of Us, God of War).
You're just presenting your own personal view and pretending everyone agrees with you. Does Microsoft need to deliver top tier first party titles? Absolutely. Is Starfield one of those? So far, it seems like it absolutely is. I'm glad you enjoyed TLOU, but I don't want Microsoft making TLOU. I'm tired of the TLOU. I want Microsoft to make games like Starfield, games like Sea of Thieves, games like Gears of War Tactics, games like Age of Empires. What Microsoft actually needs to do is deliver those titles regularly. Not three or four a generation, with years between, but three or year a year. Starfield's landed, and it's looking pretty great. If they can keep delivering good titles on a regular basis, they'll do just fine. If they get themselves into another drought, where they crawl from lacklastre trash like Halo Infinite to dumpster fires like Redfall, they'll continue to see their market share shrink.

Last edited:

Kings Field

well according to my Xbox friends list, out of the 10 that were online last night, five were playing Starfield. Don’t know how everyone else’s friends looked like but I was surprised that many people paid the early access fee.

kaizenkko

You're just presenting your own personal view and pretending everyone agrees with you. Does Microsoft need to deliver top tier first party titles? Absolutely. Is Starfield one of those? So far, it seems like it absolutely is. I'm glad you enjoyed TLOU, but I don't want Microsoft making TLOU. I'm tired of the TLOU. I want Microsoft to make games like Starfield, games like Sea of Thieves, games like Gears of War Tactics, games like Age of Empires. What Microsoft actually needs to do is deliver those titles regularly. Not three or four a generation, with years between, but three or year a year. Starfield's landed, and it's looking pretty great. If they can keep delivering good titles on a regular basis, they'll do just fine. If they get themselves into another drought, where they crawl from lacklastre trash like Halo Infinite to dumpster fires like Redfall, they'll continue to see their market share shrink.
Not even you believe in that. lol

Everyone wants good quality games. Those games don't need to be like TLOU, they just need to have the quality level that TLOU have. Microsoft proves completly unable to do that. But, as ever, Xbox fans pretending to don't care about that.

feynoob

Banned
Game has more issues than loading screen.

Bad enemy AI, mediocre main story, outdated animations, bugs everywhere,
No space exploration whatsoever….do i need to continue?

Like i said average at best, just because people like certain games does not make them immunte to being average.
Its bethesda game. Main story and enemy combat has always been shit on their games.
Exploring the world is good, if you play it more. That is what reviewers who played for long said.
Early hour is slow, but gets better the longer you play.

I would suggest you try it out, before jumping to conclusion. Experience is not the same for everyone.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not even you believe in that. lol
If you're just going to ignore what people write and tell them "you don't believe that, here's what you actually believe" then why are you posting at all?
... Those games don't need to be like TLOU, they just need to have the quality level that TLOU have. Microsoft proves completly unable to do that. But, as ever, Xbox fans pretending to don't care about that.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I see a game like Starfield, and I see the reason I love video games. I see games like TLOU, and I see the reason I stopped playing third person cinematic games.

The review scores a great, I think they’ll help the game. What will hurt it is game pass and exclusivity, losing a lot of sales from people who have GS subs and the ps fan base.

feynoob

Banned
If you're just going to ignore what people write and tell them "you don't believe that, here's what you actually believe" then why are you posting at all?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I see a game like Starfield, and I see the reason I love video games. I see games like TLOU, and I see the reason I stopped playing third person cinematic games.
He is a troll. Dont engage with him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Game will do very well, but I just don't see it doing Skyrim numbers. The novelty of "open world" is long gone, and the promise of "open universe" is just going to create disappointment and backlash as its a promise that cannot be realistically kept. There simply isn't a way to author such a vast amount of bespoke content without falling back on procedural methods which simply give a lesser result than hand-crafted scripts and gameplay.

Which isn't to say that procedural is worthless, just that its experientially not the same.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This was alway going to sell the most on steam. Gamepass is not going to hurt sales on PC people love steam also the steam version will also have the best mod support. This is not a game you play and done. People will play it time to time to play new mods hence purchase the game. Hell sea of thieves sold more than 5 million copies on steam.

kaizenkko

You just "love" Starfield because Microsoft own Bethesda. lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
It isn't Fallout 76, Microsoft is marketing it because it's important, and if it will have the same incredibly long tail that Skyrim's modding scene still to this day has (a long thought impossible breakthrough was released in the last day) then Starfield will be around at least until TES6 is released if not longer.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
If you honestly believe that any publisher prioritises Metacritic scores over sales and revenue, you are economically illiterate and a blithering imbecile.

tr1p1ex

I doubt it matters. People have bought these games in the past despite all the poor workmanship and huge amount of time required to get to all the "good" content.

Freeman76

No, the majority of people playing this game don't give a flying fuck about reviews.
100%

I watched ACGs review but only because I just moved house and couldnt play at release, wanted to see if it was anything like i hoped and his review was glowing. He is the only one i ever take seriously anyway, he does it out of love for the hobby instead of talking shit to get clicks like 99% of the mongs that do reviews these days

Top Bottom