• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else File Complaints on Xbox Live?>

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Just wondering, really, because I use the feature quite often.

I see loads of Gamertags that seem to have somehow slipped through the filter system. I saw one earlier that had the word 'cok' in it, so I filed a complain against his ass.

More importantly: The complaint system DOES work.

As a test, I got a friend to put the word 'ass' in his bio.

I then filed a complaint about his bio and the next day he couldn't sign in to Live and was prompted with the message of 'You have been banned from Xbox Live until 3rd September'; so he got banned from XBL for 24 hours and his bio, motto and name were all reset to say 'Code of Conduct'.

Anyone else use it to weed out the annoying Gamertags/bios and mottos from XBL?

Zoltrix

I do, but it's usually for voice communication stuff and glitching. Does anything ever happen there? How do they know if they actually did something wrong?

Whenever someone is blatantly cheating, like abusing glitches or lagging the game out on their host to win. Offensive usernames and people insulting my mother don't really bother me so it's not worth the time.

Yes, for the jerks I meet in online games. At the very least it tells me the guy is now an Avoided Player. Whether that means a damn, I have no idea.

I leave them for player killers in COD4 hardcore matches. That way I'm less likely to be paired with/against them in the future. Oh, and racist names like people who have three capital "K"s in their gamertag. Those guys get complaints filed against them. But I went friends only with my chat settings months ago and have loved every single minute of it.

gregor7777 said:
Yes, for the jerks I meet in online games. At the very least it tells me the guy is now an Avoided Player. Whether that means a damn, I have no idea.

What is does is that it makes it less likely that you will be paired with that person in the future when you are looking for games. For instance if there are 4 games being played that you could be placed into and 2 of them have avoided players in them, then it will put you in the other 2 games without avoided players. Now if there simply aren't enough people playing then you're SOL and will be paired with that person again.

Never used it once. I did get a 5 star rating on my gamertag fast, and I trash talk a lot of people with friends online. :lol But no to the point where I'm gay bashing or racism. More a taunt after killing someone if they can hear me just to aggravate them into playing even worse. :D

MrDaravon

I've done it on very rare occasions when it's really obvious that someone is either cheating, talking a ton of racist shit, or the username is really bad. I'm not sure if complaints for in-game conduct ever work; a full party of 8 of us reported someone one-time for beyond a doubt cheating, he was bragging about cheating, and nothing ever happened.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
gregor7777 said:
So if you file a complaint for a gameplay-related reason it still puts them as an avoided player? That's pretty good. I've only ever filed complaints for profile stuff.

OldJadedGamer said:
Oh, and racist names like people who have three capital "K"s in their gamertag. Those guys get complaints filed against them.
This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. I don't know how the hell it gets through the filter system.

Super_Chicken said:
Never used it once. I did get a 5 star rating on my gamertag fast, and I trash talk a lot of people with friends online. :lol But no to the point where I'm gay bashing or racism. More a taunt after killing someone if they can hear me just to aggravate them into playing even worse. :D
The rep system is different to filing a complaint, though. Every single person you played online with could submit a negative player review and it wouldn't do squat, but if everyone filed a complaint against you, chances are you'd get banned for a period of time.

JdFoX187

Banned
I use them for people who glitch online on Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. Seems like the only game I play online regularly at the moment, so it's the only one I notice rampant cheating on. "Offensive" gamertags don't offend me so I don't bother with them.

ampere

No, but a lot of people avoid me on Halo and then put the reason as 'unsporting.'
I don't even know what that means, am I supposed to let people win or something? :lol

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I report people as cheating when they get out of the map on Gears, Also for being racist ect.. Report for in game voice or whatever.

It has to be really bad and if there just joking with others ill let that slide, Can just tell by there tone of voice if there serious and then i report. Racism on the other hand is always instant report. I guess im a big Xbox live snitch :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Whether it be an FPS, Rock Band/GH3, or Madden I always file a quit early complaint when someone quits. It pisses me off so fucking much. ARrgh!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
NameGenerated said:
Whether it be an FPS, Rock Band/GH3, or Madden I always file a quit early complaint when someone quits. It pisses me off so fucking much. ARrgh!

Sadly those ones dont seem to do much, Only the "File complaint" section. I gave up on that one because it happens way too often.

Think its "Player review". Doesnt do anything it seems.

scarybore

I use it all the time between matches in Halo 3, so often am I giving bad feedback and filing complaints that my friends constantly joke about it. If I'm in a game with someone who is behaving like a total twat, the first thing I do when the match is over is to check their Gamercard in the hope that I have something solid to report them for, you would be amazed with some of the stupid shit people put in their motto's and bio's.

Sadly, most of the Gamertags themselves usually aren't much better. I had the bad fortune of playing against two people last week whose Gamertags were variations of I Hang N*****s. Luckily my team kicked their ass and all of us sent feedback and filed complaints, so hopefully they will have been banned by now.

I always do but nobody else does. Most games make it too hard to navigate to do it honestly. You generally have to remember a guy's name and do it post match from the recent players list which means nobody will.

Unfortunate.

The feedback system is completely useless on Live as is the complaint system. They need something radically different and better for the next Xbox system.

PacoDG

I am quick to submit player reviews on any person who quits out when I am playing against them in Rock Band (the only hope I have is it makes sure it doesn't match me up against that person again, so far it seems to work, but I have no clue if it really does).

I don't encounter problems in any other games I can think of right now, but I fear not the submit player review and file complaint buttons.

I have noticed an increase in people abusing this complaint filing system, like I have one person who has messaged everyone on his friends list, asking us all to file a complaint about his user name (as he wanted to change it but didn't want to pay a fee to do so, thus found using the file complaint as a workaround)

PacoDG said:
I have noticed an increase in people abusing this complaint filing system, like I have one person who has messaged everyone on his friends list, asking us all to file a complaint about his user name (as he wanted to change it but didn't want to pay a fee to do so, thus found using the file complaint as a workaround)

That's actually a smart way to save 10 bucks.

Haeleos

Because of Virtua Fighter 5, this pisses me off. At the end of a match, it gives you the chance to file a complaint with the player you just fought, so I have a bunch of complaints on my profile from people who lost a match against me in VF5.

Beavertown

Garbage
I've only ever used it once for some fucker that had "shewasonly7" and his motto had some equally sick shit that I can't quite remember. Not sure if he was just trying to be funny or what, but that shit aint funny.

Generally I try not to be a dick and file complaints or leave bad feedback unless someone is really acting stupid.

Shins

Banned
cjelly said:
I see loads of Gamertags that seem to have somehow slipped through the filter system. I saw one earlier that had the word 'cok' in it, so I filed a complain against his ass.
Really? Really?

cjelly said:
Just wondering, really, because I use the feature quite often.

More importantly: The complaint system DOES work.

As a test, I got a friend to put the word 'ass' in his bio.

I then filed a complaint about his bio and the next day he couldn't sign in to Live and was prompted with the message of 'You have been banned from Xbox Live until 3rd September'; so he got banned from XBL for 24 hours and his bio, motto and name were all reset to say 'Code of Conduct'.

Anyone else use it to weed out the annoying Gamertags/bios and mottos from XBL?

You sir don't deserve to play on live,did it occur to you that the person you complain about also pay the same amount of money as you,and that he has every right to call him sell what ever he wants,i wonder what happen to liberty of expression.

saunderez

Tormentoso said:
did it occur to you that the person you complain about also pay the same amount of money as you,and that he has every right to call him sell what ever he wants,i wonder what happen to liberty of expression.

There's no such thing as liberty of expression when you are on a private service and bound by a Terms of Service. If you don't want to be bound by the Terms of Service don't log into Xbox Live. It's pretty simple.

saunderez said:
There's no such thing as liberty of expression when you are on a private service and bound by a Terms of Service. If you don't want to be bound by the Terms of Service don't log into Xbox Live. It's pretty simple.

Are you allowed on the service if your surname is Cok?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Tormentoso said:
You sir don't deserve to play on live,did it occur to you that the person you complain about also pay the same amount of money as you,and that he has every right to call him sell what ever he wants,i wonder what happen to liberty of expression.

Has to be a joke :lol

Tormentoso said:

Even if racist or homophobic?

saunderez

Graphics Horse said:
Are you allowed on the service if your surname is Cok?

That one in particular is ridiculous and the guy that filed the complaint needs a hiding (as far as I know Cok is a common South African surname, the equivalent to Cook). But for people who are openly breaching the Terms of Service they deserve to be reported. I wouldn't report anything the OP has but if I did come across a gamertag I truly found offensive I'd have no issues filing a complaint.

Marjorine

I never complained about Live tags. Ever.

Then someone sent in a complaint about my tag and it got changed. Is "Momdoer" offensive? Possibly. It is also a lie, as I have never done a mom, but it was all in good fun. Then some idiot had to complain because their kid, who probably teabags and screams about jism for 4 hours a night in Halo 3, saw "Momdoer" and was scarred for life.

Screw it. I report anybody and everybody now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Marjorine said:
I never complained about Live tags. Ever.

Then someone sent in a complaint about my tag and it got changed. Is "Momdoer" offensive? Possibly. It is also a lie, as I have never done a mom, but it was all in good fun. Then some idiot had to complain because their kid, who probably teabags and screams about jism for 4 hours a night in Halo 3, saw "Momdoer" and was scarred for life.

Screw it. I report anybody and everybody now.
Yeah, I definitely would have reported that.

saunderez said:

lol..

I wonder how you would act is MS tomorrow announce that you can't complain any more and that complaining will land you a ban,maybe you would feel like the one that dude trow to the lions.

Complain about such stupid thing when live is full of screaming teens,is some how laughable more when those hardly ever get ban,if you don't like some one names just don't play them because you don't know when you your self can cross the line on something you think is stupid yet get ban for it.

And if MS ban me for something like that i would probably do the best thing one can do,stop paying for it.

Spasm

I only really use the player review feature. I avoid everyone who teamkills, or quits out early in Halo 3. Every time. My avoid list must be in the thousands... And it doesn't seem to work for shit. I get matched up with the same chronic quitter every single day.

Filing a complaint against someone based on their gamertag or motto...? If you REALLY are terribly offended by 'cok' then go right ahead. But doing it just to police Live? That's weak sauce.

saunderez

Tormentoso said:
I wonder how you would act is MS tomorrow announce that you can't complain any more and that complaining will land you a ban,maybe you would feel like the one that dude trow to the lions.
I've never complained about anyone, get your facts straight. I don't have a problem with reporting people for Terms of Service breaches because they help drag the whole system down.
Tormentoso said:
Complain about such stupid thing when live is full of screaming teens,is some how laughable more when those hardly ever get ban,if you don't like some one names just don't play them because you don't know when you your self can cross the line on something you think is stupid yet get ban for it..
Maybe if people adhered to the Terms of Service it wouldn't be so bad. Every little bit helps. If someone gets banned for racism or homophobia then they might think twice about doing it again. If enough people get banned other people might realise they're throwing their $xx down the drain and stop doing it.
Tormentoso said:
And if MS ban me for something like that i would probably do the best thing one can do,stop paying for it.
If you're openly breaching the Terms of Service they don't want you to pay for it.

Spasm said:
I only really use the player review feature. I avoid everyone who teamkills, or quits out early in Halo 3. Every time. My avoid list must be in the thousands... And it doesn't seem to work for shit. I get matched up with the same chronic quitter every single day.
Part of it is because hardly anyone does it. If someone doesn't file a report against you it's assumed you played fair. Still, I like to do my part to put a black mark on the gamertags of quitters.

saunderez said:
I've never complained about anyone, get your facts straight. I don't have a problem with reporting people for Terms of Service breaches because they help drag the whole system down.

Maybe if people adhered to the Terms of Service it wouldn't be so bad. Every little bit helps. If someone gets banned for racism or homophobia then they might think twice about doing it again.

If you're openly breaching the Terms of Service they don't want you to pay for it.

I was supposing it was not actually about you,is about any one i say you to make a point.

I agree about Rasim and other things as homophobia,and no if they actually didn't want your money they would have ban you period,in fact MS doesn't even ban pirates from live they just ban your 360,so your profile will still works that is how much they want your money.

And last but not least,i say that complaining about this is stupid more when some of the ones complaining about how other person is call,have games like GOW as favorite games so yeah i hate the word cok on some one names,it takes my concentration away from dismembering people with the chainsaw gun on GOW.

Marjorine

cjelly said:
Yeah, I definitely would have reported that.

Which I would totally get. I mean, I knew it going in that I could get my tag changed, so hey, that's fine. It's part of the deal. It's like a guy in my WoW guild getting pissed because they made him change Felchmaster. Hey. You know it's coming eventually, so be a damn adult about it. I just chose to report everyone remotely offensive as my response. Which is perfectly within the terms of service.

I just wish they did a better job policing the racist voice chat. I know it's harder to do, but if you get 5 complaints in an hour, just ban the bastard.

Why the fuck would anyone snitch over a gamertag?

Get a fucking life.

I have no probs with complaints over cheaters, racists (as funny as they can be) and homophobes, but a gamertag? really?

It's just a name.

Would you force a Chinese man name Wan Long Phuc to go and change his name? Seriously. I've seen names like this before.

Hell let me go a little further here,people that do this are not better than the woman who was complaining about Fat Prices,or the lawyer that was always busting Rockstar for GTA games,because in the end all the claims where because there were offended.

So we can't have it both ways here,much like that woman was make fun of here and the lawyer so should any one who complains about other people names on live,because they are offended.

Top Bottom