• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else really want Iron Fist to be Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

ITT: people who don't read Iron Fist demanding their own take on "Iron Fist" because of "tropes"

God how I wish TVtropes would die in a fire.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
tumblr_ntiykuCfDX1sa3raco1_500.png

its like, why give something that i didnt know i wanted?

Asbel

It would do more to break Asian stereotypes if we had the Asian supporting casts be regular and diverse people, than to have a title character be an Asian super martial artist. This is why I'd much rather they change someone like Foggy Nelson to Asian than Matt Murdock. I don't know much about Iron Fist but I hope the Asian supporting cast in his story aren't all martial artists.

Not

Banned
It would do more to break Asian stereotypes if we had the Asian supporting casts be regular and diverse people, than to have a title character be an Asian super martial artist. This is why I'd much rather they change someone like Foggy Nelson to Asian than Matt Murdock. I don't know much about Iron Fist but I hope the Asian supporting cast in his story aren't all martial artists.

That would've been neat. But it would still have kinda been a let down once
Karen kinda didn't seem into him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This thread again? :eek:

my-reaction-when-I-get-into-an-argument-with-women-homer-simpson-hide-in-bush-disappears.gif

Last one I was called a racist because I want Marvel stuff to be faithful to the comics >_>

PsychBat!

Banned
I need a non-white Mexican to headline Iron First or at least be Miguel O'Hara.

Really tired of little to no representation.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

my-reaction-when-I-get-into-an-argument-with-women-homer-simpson-hide-in-bush-disappears.gif

Last one I was called a racist because I want Marvel stuff to be faithful to the comics >_>

I highly doubt you actually want everything in the MCU to be "faithful" to the comics, unless you also want to argue about Peggy Carter having a different hair colour or the Hulk wearing not wearing purple pants.

"Faithful" just means you want to impose your own arbitrary restrictions on what can be changed and what can't. The only thing making Iron Fist Asian-American would do is make him an Asian-American that is an outsider in K'un Lun.

Platy

The problem with comics is that not even comics are faithful to comics.

Do you want Randy to be a Monkey or Daredevil ?
Do you want him to be tired after using his powers like the old days or not tired like today ?
The shitness that was Ultimate Iron Fist ?

You can't be 100% faithfull to "the comics" =P

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Do you want him to be tired after using his powers like the old days or not tired like today ?

quick question, by monkey, are you talking the marvel apes variant?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I do want him to be Daredevil on some episode :(

harSon

Banned
How about Arifin Putra?

ry81Kyz5_400x400.jpeg

He's half Indonesian, half German. His english is good, and he's able to do his own stunts. He's basically Brandon Lee.

Kin5290

Does not matter if he is latino, black or white, he should not be asian, because part of Iron Fist's basic concept is that he is an outsider to that particular (thanks to geographical locations, mostly chinese) group of people who know where the powers even come from.

Or he can be japanese, but I do not think that a Netflix-show is ready for japanese-chinese cultural clashes quite yet.
Make him an ABC who's a fish out of water among Chinese immigrants, then. Hell, it's 2015 and Chinese immigrants have been living in the states for ages now. Make him a 3rd gen, son of two rich suburban 2nd gen Chinese Americans, who suddenly finds himself in a large Chinatown community.

Hell, I'm American born Chinese. My parents immigrated to the states a few years before I was born, and I know fuckall about the cultural history of my ancestors and can only speak a little Cantonese. There is no reason why someone with a similar background couldn't be Iron Fist (and it'd be nice if Hollywood would acknowledge that people like me existed).

Nesotenso

I highly doubt you actually want everything in the MCU to be "faithful" to the comics, unless you also want to argue about Peggy Carter having a different hair colour or the Hulk wearing not wearing purple pants.

"Faithful" just means you want to impose your own arbitrary restrictions on what can be changed and what can't. The only thing making Iron Fist Asian-American would do is make him an Asian-American that is an outsider in K'un Lun.

race is something which is easy to get right.

jurgen

maxresdefault.jpg

It's a double edged sword to make him Asian because that would make one of Marvel's premiere superheroes a martial artist. The other - Amadeus Cho? He's a super-genius. They really aren't doing themselves favors as far as stereotypical Asian characters/heroes go.

I think it would be best if people realize that it's actually okay if Danny Rand is white. He's a white guy that embraces sacred Asian culture and is in one of the handful interracial relationships in mainstream comics.

Nesotenso

Why would race be something that you'd need to "get right"?

Especially when what you're "getting right" is an adherence to a more racist time where nearly every lead character was white.

because as a fan I would like an adaptation from the source material to be as close to it as possible.

and during this racist time there were lead characters who weren't white.

Cuburt

If they race swapped any character to Asian, it should have been Doctor Strange.

There wouldn't even be the same debate about making Iron Fist Asian if they did that. Besides, there already is an Asian American as a superhero lead of a TV show (Daisy Johnson/Chloe Bennet) but there is no high probile Asian superhero in the pipeline that could possibly lead a Marvel film except Amadeus Cho and we haven't even got an Incredible Hulk sequel so that's not happening any time soon.

I've argued for an Asian American Iron Fist where they tweak his origin, and I would find it far more compelling to see an Asian American as an outsider than a white American, but I really doubt they are going to change it. People are only okay with Asian male side characters and Asian female leads, but they don't want an Asian male lead.

The whole thing is bullshit to be honest because even in the "diversity" lottery, the Asian male character always is going to pick the short straw. I've never seen someone mentioning swapping Strange and I've always thought Doctor "rich white arrogant goateed" Strange treaded too much similar territory to Tony Stark's origin and was hoping they'd take another direction for the films, even without race swapping him, but I think if there was any place to plug in an Asian actor, it would have been there. No way in hell would people allow that shit to happen though.

Cuburt

Make him an ABC who's a fish out of water among Chinese immigrants, then. Hell, it's 2015 and Chinese immigrants have been living in the states for ages now. Make him a 3rd gen, son of two rich suburban 2nd gen Chinese Americans, who suddenly finds himself in a large Chinatown community.

Hell, I'm American born Chinese. My parents immigrated to the states a few years before I was born, and I know fuckall about the cultural history of my ancestors and can only speak a little Cantonese. There is no reason why someone with a similar background couldn't be Iron Fist (and it'd be nice if Hollywood would acknowledge that people like me existed).

This exactly.

If they were to actually approach the show them that perspective, I think it would be far more progressive than some martial arts stereotype would set Asians back imo.

In fact, I saw someone mentioned Danny is in an interracial relationship? You make Danny Asian in an interracial relationship and that's something you see FAR less than a white guy with a female of another race. Shit, you barely even see Asian male characters paired romantically with Asian females in TV/movies in America, let alone paired romantically with a female character of any race.

Cuburt

I would have been fine with this but the collective internet made up it's mind that having the whitest man ever was perfect for the role.

Yes, and this is around the time the discussion of diversity was really beginning to boil up; fans and the media are getting worked into a fever pitch over no Black Widow movie yet, no black leads/only support roles, and "another blond haired lead named Chris" but suddenly everyone started obsessing over the casting call for the whitest guys possible in Hollywood than can wear a goatee without batting an eyelash.

Kin5290

because as a fan I would like an adaptation from the source material to be as close to it as possible.

and during this racist time there were lead characters who weren't white.
If being white is such an intrinsic part to the character of Iron Fist then his characterization must be shallow as fuck.
Yes, and this is around the time the discussion of diversity was really beginning to boil up; people are getting worked into a fever pitch over no Black Widow movie yet, no black leads/only support roles, and "another blond haired lead named Chris" but everyone in the media started obsessing over the casting call for he whitest guys possible than can wear a goatee without batting an eyelash.
Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I've seen mostly contempt when it comes to Benedict Cumberbatch being cast for the role of Doctor Strange.

Nesotenso

If being white is such an intrinsic part to the character of Iron Fist then his characterization must be shallow as fuck.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I've seen mostly contempt when it comes to Benedict Cumberbatch being cast for the role of Doctor Strange.

well one has to fucking read the comics to know if it is shallow as fuck.

Cuburt

Any contempt I've seen was from it being Benedict Cumberbatch specifically and not because they didn't want to see another white male character lead a superhero franchise.

I followed enough of the casting rumor craziness on here to at least see that much.

Well lemme put it this way. They've shamelessly changed characters ethnicities to black, even when it skips over plot elements (making Heimdall black when he's Sif's brother...hell I would've been fine with it if Heimdall referred to Sif as 'sister' or Sig to Heimdall as 'brother' since they aren't humans, but no - they just skipped over this entirely). So if characters whose ethnicities don't seem to be important can be changed from white to black, why not white to Asian?

number47

well one has to fucking read the comics to know if it is shallow as fuck.
Who the hell are you? I dont need to know what I'm talking about to make a opinion. But I'll be damned if a white man does something!

Iron fist is Asian. Then Kun Lun is now in Mississippi. That would be a perfect trade.

Who the hell are you? I dont need to know what I'm talking about to make a opinion. But I'll be damned if a white man does something!

Iron fist is Asian. Then Kun Lun is now in Mississippi. That would be a perfect trade.

Yo don't make him go there
He'll die
OF FREEDOM

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
lol I'm more bothered by The Ancient One being the whitest woman on Earth.

Tilda Swinton isn't a human person though, she's a trans-dimensional ageless alien.

DrSlek

Come now....K'un Lun is a mysterious mountain city. It'd have to be in Canada's Yukon region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom