• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else really want Iron Fist to be Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

No joke if he could get some muscle on him Adam Scott would be legit as Danny Rand.

No he has a higher destiny
Everett-Ross.jpg

Frog-fu

Banned
I know but Freeman looks too put together, too smooth for Ross.

If he can play Ross like he did Lester Nygaard without being a piece of shit I could easily see Freeman pull it off.

edit;

Also, this exchange - which in my opinion just HAS TO BE in the film - has got Freeman written all over it to me.
Everett-K-Ross.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm still mad Purple Man aint purple

Yeah make him asian. The "outsider" thing is super played out anyway.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Considering all the palette swaps lately in the Marvel U ...I wonder why Iron Fist being white would matter at this point. Why swap the obvious palette swap.

XAL

I wonder if an Asian dude wearing a yellow bandanna would be a bit off-putting.

They'd have to do weathered black and gold mask with bright yellow highlights. Intricate designs and shit that make it look like it's been passed down a thousand years.

Loxley

I don't really want him to be any particular race - just find the best and most charismatic actor you can for the part. But Iron Fist is a character who's in a weird position in the context of the MCU. They don't have any of their major heroes played by Asian actors - so there's definitely a window for that here. But as others have said, I think Marvel will absolutely get shit thrown their way if - the one time they cast a white character with an Asian actor - it's a character that's martial arts focused ("Because that's all male Asian actors are good for in Hollywood, right?").

It would definitely be cool for the MCU to finally start getting Asian heroes in the mix, whether or not that's through Iron Fist specifically doesn't matter to me.

I wonder if an Asian dude wearing a yellow bandanna would be a bit off-putting.

The yellow mask is probably the most iconic aspect of the character's costume, so...I dunno :/

Bleepey

This endlessly likeable cockfuck of a dickhead.

Good acting chops, excellent comedic timing, trimmed body, milketoast pretty whiteboy looks. The whole package.

The thing about Iron Fist is that there are few other characters where race plays such a huge part regarding its weird, somewhat unPC appeal.

It's not just about Danny being the the second Iron Fist in a long ass lineage of strictly Asian Iron Fists (and not even a particularly amazing one at it; he kind of gets his shit really messed up half of the time), but about his personal relationships with the rest of Street Marvel, from Luke Cage to Misty. You could change his melanin levels and tint without any major issues, but much of the character's flavour would be lost in the process.

I'd rather have a Latino Spider-Man, a black Kingpin (RIP, MCD) or an Asian Tony Stark than a non-white Danny Rand.

He'd be high on my list as well. I think Iron Fist should be white, why not make a Shang Chi TV series if they want an Asian character.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't have a problem with him being Asian, or any race but I try to avoid supporting putting Asian actors in those stereotypical roles. "It's a martial arts comic, so we need an Asian actor" bothers me. It would be like introducing an Asian actress to the show and making her have a colored streak in her hair, while she carries a samurai sword.

Just use Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist, cast whoever nails the role.

mreddie

If Danny is white: Whitewashing.
If Danny is Asian: Stereotyping.

It's a thin line, if the guy can act, I'm cool with it.

Personally, yes, I'd prefer it to the comic design. Whoever it is they cast, though, better have a strong dancing/martial arts background if they want to sell the character on-screen.

Slayven

This thread jsut makes me sad Misty Knight and Danny are no longer a couple.

Ghost Chi Baby is the new One More Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom