• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else really want Iron Fist to be Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a lose lose situation.
You make him white, people will scream mighty whitey.
Make him Asian and it's a stereotype.
They should just base hi off the source to at least please the fans.

Martial Arts only becomes a stereotype if that's all there is to his character. DD is a damn ninja, most characters who show up as "fighters" are gonna have some kinda fighting style they're good at (Unless they're JJ or Luke Cage level it seems).

I mean, no one calls May in AoS a stereotype just cause she's Asian and "REALLY good at fighting".

Making him Asian and beefing up the mystical elements would be just fine.

That or pull what they did with The Ancient One and gender swap him to. Asian Girl ... that way people get too mixed up to take a stance.

Makonero

Asian American allows for the most story opportunities and fixes the inherent ickiness of having a white character as the inheritor of the Iron Fist.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Tell me about Iron Fist GAF. I read a little bit about his powers a while ago, but forgot. What is he like as a character? Funny? Always in a bad mood? Dark? What are his powers exactly? Backstory?

Slayven

Tell me about Iron Fist GAF. I read a little bit about his powers a while ago, but forgot. What is he like as a character? Funny? Always in a bad mood? Dark? What are his powers exactly? Backstory?
He light fig newtowns
tumblr_mzn6e9oQSf1r7pumio1_500.jpg

Make him Latino. Because Hulk doesn't count I don't know what ethnicity Ruffalo is lol. And the only other major Latino I can think of is ant mans friend

So make him white tiger instead?
eSi3erT.png

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We need to go back in time and get Zack Morris to play Danny Rand. He's 1/4 asian!

Looking into Mark-Paul Gosselaar's bio, I see he named his son Dekker. What's worse, Breckin or Dekker?

Goodstyle

Yeah if only because the "white man dominates in Asian martial arts" trope is kind of dated for 2015.

Ya, that's my main issue with it. I freaking hate that trope with a fiery passion, so much so that if Iron Fist is yet another rich white guy who suffers from the tragic death of a parent(s) and then goes to Asia to learn martial arts (and becomes way better at it than anyone else), I won't watch the show. I just can't sit through that white wish fulfilment garbage story again.

I'd bet you anything that if they went with that route, he'd get an Asian love interest where he'd have to rescue her from Asian men to get with her. No fucking thanks.

Slayven

Yeah if only because the "white man dominates in Asian martial arts" trope is kind of dated for 2015.

Ya, that's my main issue with it. I freaking hate that trope with a fiery passion, so much so that if Iron Fist is yet another rich white guy who suffers from the tragic death of a parent(s) and then goes to Asia to learn martial arts (and becomes way better at it than anyone else), I won't watch the show. I just can't sit through that white wish fulfilment garbage story again.

I'd bet you anything that if they went with that route, he'd get an Asian love interest where he'd have to rescue her from Asian men to get with her. No fucking thanks.

Know how i know you don't read the comics, you think Ironfist dominates martial arts.

He is the second weakest immortal weapon.

And shit he sucks compared to Libra, and Mantis.

Viewt

A major part of Danny Rand as a character is that he's a visible outsider in K'un-Lun, where everyone looks East Asian. If you cast him as an Asian, you lose a bit of that. You could recover it a bit since he could still be an outsider to K'un-Lun as an American, or even someone from elsewhere in Asia, but I don't think it would be as pronounced.

I've got no issue with race or gender-swapping characters when their race/gender isn't important to their character. Making Peter Parker black doesn't really change who he is at all. They could have cast an Indian guy as Dr. Strange and it still wouldn't change much. But Danny Rand kind of has to be white if they're trying to adapt the current Iron Fist character. I guess you could make Iron Fist Danielle Rand if you really wanted to and it wouldn't be a big deal as long as Misty Knight's down to swing that way.

I'd rather they just elevate an already-cool character like Shang-Chi if they just wanna do a martial arts series with an Asian lead.

Speaking of Asian representation, still waiting on Jimmy Woo to walk in on Agents of SHIELD and show everyone the business.

Jimmy_Woo_AoA_h3.jpg

Know how i know you don't read the comics, you think Ironfist dominates martial arts.

He is the second weakest immortal weapon.

And shit he sucks compared to Libra, and Mantis.

Cut Danny some slack. Not everyone can be the shining light in the world, Fat Cobra.

fatcobra.jpg

Slayven

A major part of Danny Rand as a character is that he's a visible outsider in K'un-Lun, where everyone looks East Asian. If you cast him as an Asian, you lose a bit of that. You could recover it a bit since he could still be an outsider to K'un-Lun as an American, or even someone from elsewhere in Asia, but I don't think it would be as pronounced.

I've got no issue with race or gender-swapping characters when their race/gender isn't important to their character. Making Peter Parker black doesn't really change who he is at all. They could have cast an Indian guy as Dr. Strange and it still wouldn't change much. But Danny Rand kind of has to be white if they're trying to adapt the current Iron Fist character. I guess you could make Iron Fist Danielle Rand if you really wanted to and it wouldn't be a big deal as long as Misty Knight's down to swing that way.

I'd rather they just elevate an already-cool character like Shang-Chi if they just wanna do a martial arts series with an Asian lead.

Speaking of Asian representation, still waiting on Jimmy Woo to walk in on Agents of SHIELD and show everyone the business.

Jimmy_Woo_AoA_h3.jpg

Folks would not be ready for some Jimmy Woo.

mrjohill

I wouldn't mind if he was Asian. You just have to characterize him as having no ties to his Asian heritage which still would make him a fish out of water when he is confronted with all the mysticism.

Mudcrab

Jimmy_Woo_AoA_h3.jpg

My man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Jimmy_Woo_AoA_h3.jpg

cant handle the woo

Trojita

I'd miss the Ebony & Ivory duo Heroes for Hire makes.

You got one guy, a brotha in a t-shirt with super strength and unbreakable skin and another guy, a white guy dressed in an asian inspired garb that knows kung-fu.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Iron Fist should be white. If you want an asian martial artist from Marvel, just use Shang-Chi.

golem

Asian kung fu lead? Watch Into the Badlands.. Heck its setting the action bar so high right now, I wouldn't want to be in Marvels shoes

Slayven

Shit we should get Ban-Luck a shot

Ban-Luck.jpg

Agent of Global Reaction Agency for Mysterious Paranormal Activity, aka G.R.A.M.P.A

They actually get shit done.

Jimmy_Woo_AoA_h3.jpg

Cut Danny some slack. Not everyone can be the shining light in the world, Fat Cobra.

fatcobra.jpg

Which is why you could just make him Hispanic. It's a win-win situation. He still gets to be the fish out of water and he could add a new race that's sorely underrepresented in the MCU. Then introduce Shang-Chi and you've got even more diversity while still staying mostly true to the comics.

Mudcrab

Which is why you could just make him Hispanic. It's a win-win situation. He still gets to be the fish out of water and he could add a new race that's sorely underrepresented in the MCU. Then introduce Shang-Chi and you've got even more diversity while still staying mostly true to the comics.

So you want a White Tiger show?

No lies detected

We can all agree Prince of Orphans be on some anime shit.

It's the next page that makes the scene.

number47

Lol. You don't know shit about Iron Fist. Quit while youre ahead with your subtle racism.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Iron Fist is to Race what Zelda is to gender.

Without this explosive weapon in their arsenal, Fedoras have no zinger.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm no expert, but isn't his skin color a big part of why he his martial arts abilities are so significant?

Slayven

I'm no expert, but isn't his skin color a big part of why he his martial arts abilities are so significant?

Signiciant they are shitty compared to others, especially other people that had the ironfist.

573409-junzo_profile.jpg

Junzo stole it and leveled a city and could use it rapidfire unlike Danny

Viewt

Iron Fist being scrub-tier when compared to the other Immortal Weapons is honestly one of my favorite things about the character. He's firmly in the "pretty good, not overpowered but very competent" tier of Marvel, but as soon as he goes home, he's the scrawny kid who never got as tall as his brothers.

I suspect they'll be many thinkpieces and outrage over Iron Fist being white

I also suspect we'll all get over it and think the actor is great in the role

Trojita

Charlie Hunnam is going to end up being Daniel Rand.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

ExVicis

Yes but really to me it doesn't matter. In the long run him being white really doesn't mean much to the character. Make him Asian, Black, whatever, it's all fine. Just don't change his personality and who he is. And of course as long as he still becomes best friends with Luke Cage, then it's all good.

Slayven

Iron Fist being scrub-tier when compared to the other Immortal Weapons is honestly one of my favorite things about the character. He's firmly in the "pretty good, not overpowered but very competent" tier of Marvel, but as soon as he goes home, he's the scrawny kid who never got as tall as his brothers.

Dude they turn being a Lovecraftian abomination into a Martial art, how can a glowing pew pew hand compete with that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom