• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else really want Iron Fist to be Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it mildly amusing, that nobody cares that Black Adam was racebended. Which is unfortunate, because he's one of the best middle eastern characters in comics.

that's because not many people are aware of that casting yet. hell i don't really believe it even though they had a press announcement lol.

if the movie/black adam gets to production then that white/black(?) washing will hit some blogs.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Never read it, but wouldn't an Asian American who doesn't speak the native language be just as much an outsider as a white dude?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just have him be Chinese, but one of us banana Chinese. It makes more sense character wise and it comes off less stereotypical. Plus the rest of us bananas can relate

DrSlek

Jeph Loeb just confirmed that Iron Fist is still going ahead. So that rumor of it being replaced with The Punisher looks to be bogus. Apparently the troubles they were having with Iron Fist were to do with how much of the mystic elements to include.

Personally I think they should go all in. Not sure what to do with season 1, but season 2 should be The Last Iron Fist and The Capital Cities of Heaven. Include 100% of the mystical bullshit, because it was awesome....would probably be expensive though in terms of CG budget.

Mudcrab

Jeph Loeb just confirmed that Iron Fist is still going ahead. So that rumor of it being replaced with The Punisher looks to be bogus. Apparently the troubles they were having with Iron Fist were to do with how much of the mystic elements to include.

Personally I think they should go all in. Not sure what to do with season 1, but season 2 should be The Last Iron Fist and The Capital Cities of Heaven. Include 100% of the mystical bullshit, because it was awesome....would probably be expensive though in terms of CG budget.

I do too. I want some wild scenes featuring the Immortal Weapons in this show.

Kevinroc

I would definitely like an Asian Spiderman.

Asian Spider-Woman?

SILK1.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
Really want? Nope

But sure, more diversity in heroes (and villains) is always welcome.

Isn't Iron Fist white in the comics? If so, then it's a lose-lose scenario for Marvel. Make the character faithful to the comics and you'll get SJWs crying more about MCU's whiteness. Make him Asian and you'll anger the fans for changing the origin, and maybe even anger the same SJWs for a stereotypical King-fu Asian person.

Just do the character justice. That's all I want.

As pointed out, a stereotypical Mighty Whitey and a stereotypical Kung-Fu Asian are not comparable. The former will result in yet another white male lead, while the latter will result in a high profile show with the lead character played by an Asian actor.

Cheebo

Banned
Depends on who is Iron Fist? If it's Danny Rand then no way.

Danny Rand can be Black, Hispanic, Arabic..etc but it would make no sense for him to be Asian. Not being Asian is a central as part of the character. It wouldn't be Danny Rand anymore.

I see absolutely no chance of Marvel making Danny Rand Asian anyway, so it's a moot point.

Fucking yes! We need some diversity. I want him to be Asian... Because he is. Idgaf what marvel was smoking making him white.
How many comics about Danny Rand have you actually read?

jackdoe

If only Iko Uwais spoke English. He would make a kickass Iron Fist, and make it one of the best choreographed comic book tv shows out there.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Iron Fist being white would be really dumb. It's not like every character has to be completely the same as their comics versions, and just because he's Asian that wouldn't mean he wouldn't be an outsider in K'un-Lun. Just make him an Asian-American and we can finally get an Asian male superhero lead.

Marvel can make Shang-Chi white though.

yes, enough with the mighty whitey shit. you can have a storyline about an asian american being othered by his by his culture if you still want to retain the outsider aspect of iron fist

Not according to Roy Thomas. He's still alive. Maybe you can ask him just what he was smoking back in 1974 when the character was created.

Because clearly he was inspired to be Asian but back in 1974, we were clearly in a historical point in time that imo, disallowed him to be Asian. Let be real....

Edit: For the record, I'm still reading Iron Fist (which I have a whole collection that I have to go through) ... I still feel like he should have been Asian. It is what it is...

Not

Banned
Depends on who is Iron Fist? If it's Danny Rand then no way.

Danny Rand can be Black, Hispanic, Arabic..etc but it would make no sense for him to be Asian. Not being Asian is a central as part of the character. It wouldn't be Danny Rand anymore.

Even like a 4th generation Asian-American?

Asian Spider-Woman?

SILK1.jpg

Silk is my 2nd favorite Spider-Hero ATM, even if her introduction was clunky

Slayven

People really need to read Ironfist, the people of the city treat Danny pretty much like a pet or cute mascot.

They be like "Aww he doing his little spinning heel kick again"

People really need to read the comics instead of the wiki.

Now that I think about it, most of the immortal weapons don't get the shine they derserve.

No one gives a shit about Dog Brother Number 1

Fat Cobra's city got rid of him as fast as possible

We don't want to know what is going on with Bride of Nine Spiders

Tiger's Beautiful Daughter rules due how their culture is set up.

suzu

He doesn't have to be another white lead, any other race could work too.

Asian American would be nice though. It's not like AA aren't also perceived to be foreign/outsiders in Asia.

The only way I see them avoiding race issues is to cast someone not white or Asian. That way the studio avoids casting an Asian person in a stereotypical role, avoids White-savior, and preserves Danny Rand's outsider status.

Or just make the show based on the character people love and roll with it.

Marvel, use your heroes of color. You have excellent yet somehow ignored possibilities. Stop the the race and gender swaps. It's embarrassing and devalues the minority characters you could be featuring.

DrSlek

Because clearly he was inspired to be Asian but back in 1974, we were clearly in a historical point in time that imo, disallowed him to be Asian. Let be real....

Shang Chi precedes Iron Fist. Back in the '70s martial arts films were incredibly popular and Roy Thomas had just seen his first Kung Fu movie. In Fact Roy made Danny Rand the Iron Fist because Shang Shi was already being published at the time and he felt he needed to be able to set the 2 characters apart from each other. He didn't want to make just another Shang Chi.

Slayven

Shang Chi precedes Iron Fist. Back in the '70s martial arts films were incredibly popular and Roy Thomas had just seen his first Kung Fu movie. In Fact Roy made Danny Rand the Iron Fist because Shang Shi was already being published at the time and he felt he needed to be able to set the 2 characters apart from each other. He didn't want to make just another Shang Chi.

Tell them

kMV5Tqh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom