• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else really want Iron Fist to be Asian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It doesn't matter what race he is.

If Donnie Yen was a good actor he would be my choice

You're right, if it mattered, they'd go through the process of finding someone who looks the part and acts well enough to be convincing.

Goldrush

The only way I see them avoiding race issues is to cast someone not white or Asian. That way the studio avoids casting an Asian person in a stereotypical role, avoids White-savior, and preserves Danny Rand's outsider status.

Frog-fu

Banned
The "white man dominating Asian culture" trope is dated as hell, but that is kind of what makes Danny Rand the Iron Fist we know. Maybe they should get a mixed half Asian/half white guy to play the role?

Tall order, I know, considering how much Asians ain't shit in Hollywood outside of stereotypical roles and how much chemistry the actor must have with Mike Colter's Luke Cage.

Not

Banned
Yes.

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really want Iron Fist to be Asian.

And I want him to make out with and fuck women onscreen.

Althane

Dog brother #1, though.

Dog Brother #1 is legit, but Fat Cobra is, without a doubt, the best of the Immortal Weapons.

Ranking of Immortal Weapons:

• Fat Cobra
  • Prince of Orphans
  • Dog Brother #1
  • Bride of Nine Spiders
  • Danny Rand
  • Tiger's Beautiful Daughter
  • Sigh... Steel Phoenix. TECHNICALLY.

Frog-fu

Banned
Charlie Hunnam is going to end up being Daniel Rand.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Now I want this to happen.

They just gotta significantly tone down the White Saviour tropiness by making good but not too good and make sure to hire plenty of Asian actors in important roles.

Not

Banned
The only way I see them avoiding race issues is to cast someone not white or Asian. That way the studio avoids casting an Asian person in a stereotypical role, avoids White-savior, and preserves Danny Rand's outsider status.

I wouldn't mind a Latino, Native American, Black, or South Asian Danny Rand. But East Asian is by far my preference

Just put the Rock

Too old and Ambiguously Asian

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I would have been so down for Owen Wilson like 8 years ago

now I can't think of anybody, should be any race tbh. Get some good auditions in.

This endlessly likeable cockfuck of a dickhead.

matt-czuchry02.jpg
x2MFzQq.jpg
EhLDBo3.jpg

tumblr_ncaayjreYI1tvelxmo1_250.gif

Good acting chops, excellent comedic timing, trimmed body, milketoast pretty whiteboy looks. The whole package.

The thing about Iron Fist is that there are few other characters where race plays such a huge part regarding its weird, somewhat unPC appeal.

It's not just about Danny being the the second Iron Fist in a long ass lineage of strictly Asian Iron Fists (and not even a particularly amazing one at it; he kind of gets his shit really messed up half of the time), but about his personal relationships with the rest of Street Marvel, from Luke Cage to Misty. You could change his melanin levels and tint without any major issues, but much of the character's flavour would be lost in the process.

I'd rather have a Latino Spider-Man, a black Kingpin (RIP, MCD) or an Asian Tony Stark than a non-white Danny Rand.

Not

Banned
Now I want this to happen.

They just gotta significantly tone down the White Saviour tropiness by making good but not too good and make sure to hire plenty of Asian actors in important roles.

As long as a white character is the lead role in a cast of mostly nonwhites, (s)he's the White Savior. There are no exceptions.

Asian-American (culturally American) is definitely the better option of the two, because of all the issues with the white savior trope in the modern day. Biracial would probably be the best option, but finding an actor for that would likely be difficult. You can always have him pull a Ken and dye his hair blonde.

Gender-swap would actually be terrible here, specifically because Asian men tend to get underrepresented relative to Asian women on screen in American media.

There are a lot more half-asian actors out there than you'd expect. And they're usually royally screwed by casting looking for either white people or stereotypical extremes.

Frog-fu

Banned
As long as a white character is the lead role in a cast of mostly nonwhites, (s)he's the White Savior. There are no exceptions.

That's really only the case if they are saving others. The thing about Iron Fist in this day and age is that it's very hard to pull of that character without invoking that trope or offending the cultures the character borrows from. Writers will have to carefully walk a line whereby they treat the cultures they are inspired by and borrow from with respect and at the same time don't make Danny Rand the saviour of those cultures. The latter especially is something they ought to avoid.

I think it would be in Netflix's best interest to just do one season of Iron Fist and then pair him with Luke Cage (after Luke's had his season) for a Heroes for Hire show, or maybe have that character just pop up in the other Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage (though I don't think Luke Cage would be best served by a show dedicated to himself, as much as I want a black superhero in charge of their own as the lead).

jurgen

Iron Fist's non-Asian race is actually a big component of the character and his origin. The fish-out-of-water trope has been played a lot in films and martial arts movies, but not to a huge extent in the MCU and could add a nice wrinkle to the Marvel formula.

And if we make Iron Fist an Asian character, this would make Marvel's most prominent Asian characters:

• Iron Fist, a martial artist
  • Amadeus Cho, a super genius
Not doing much better for stereotyping there...

Slayven

This endlessly likeable cockfuck of a dickhead.

Good acting chops, excellent comedic timing, trimmed body, milketoast pretty whiteboy looks. The whole package.

The thing about Iron Fist is that there are few other characters where race plays such a huge part regarding its weird, somewhat unPC appeal.

It's not just about Danny being the the second Iron Fist in a long ass lineage of strictly Asian Iron Fists (and not even a particularly amazing one at it; he kind of gets his shit really messed up half of the time), but about his personal relationships with the rest of Street Marvel, from Luke Cage to Misty. You could change his melanin levels and tint without any major issues, but much of the character's flavour would be lost in the process.

I'd rather have a Latino Spider-Man, a black Kingpin (RIP, MCD) or an Asian Tony Stark than a non-white Danny Rand.

Sman2099.jpg

Iron Fist's non-Asian race is actually a big component of the character and his origin. The fish-out-of-water trope has been played a lot in films and martial arts movies, but not to a huge extent in the MCU and could add a nice wrinkle to the Marvel formula.

And if we make Iron Fist an Asian character, this would make Marvel's most prominent Asian characters:

• Iron Fist, a martial artist
  • Amadeus Cho, a super genius
Not doing much better for stereotyping there...

Too be fair as super genius go Amadeus is pretty stupid.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
eh, I prefer the rich white guy trope for Iron Fist

Shang Chi would be massively more interesting as a tv show tho, for me

Khezu

No I would rather him stay white and male.
I want some proper ass Luke and Danny.

I get that people are tired of mighty whitey and white guys stealing asian girls from asian men, but as others have pointed out, Danny is a scrub and his main LO is a black girl with a cyborg arm.

As long as Marvel isn't tone deaf, I don't think it should be a problem.

It's a lose lose situation.
You make him white, people will scream mighty whitey.
Make him Asian and it's a stereotype.
They should just base hi off the source to at least please the fans.

Yeah, this is how I see it as well. It's really tricky to handle it properly.

IrishNinja

No.

If you want an Asian character introduce Shang Chi or Jimmy Woo instead.

one & done

okay wait no, this here's a really good post actually

Marvel is going to make him half white, half Asian.

...this does feel kinda likely actually
like have a white dude and then just BAM here's Vulcan Raven rollin up in a tank talking about his japanese background or some shit

Whichever gets me the Immortal Weapons on screen.

Though I'd prefer Danny Rand myself with Shang Chi as a supporting character.

Yeah, when I first read the immortal iron fist like a year ago having had no idea about who or what he was outside of mvc3 it was a big sayyy what when I realized he was white.

I still loved it, but the white guy being better at martial arts than all the asian guys is so over done it hurts.

Frog-fu

Banned

If they do, I can only hope they don't make him ignorant of his Asian heritage.

Like, I don't want no, "You're a Kung-fu Master, Danny!" moment where Danny is all shocked to find out he is the descendant of some long, mystical lineage.

I'd rather Danny have been born to an Asian father (cause I'm sick of travelling white dudes fucking local ethnic womenl) and white mother, and being considered an outcast for it, causing him to leave his home and travel to America. Or maybe his dad was banished/left of his own accord to be with his mother - it doesn't really matter so long as Danny is aware of his or in touch with his Asian heritage to some point.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like Danny Rand is really the wrong choice when it comes to subverting the race of the existing character. Most of the avengers could be any race without it really affecting the character, for example, and Spiderman's socioeconomic situation is much more important than his skin color, The X-men are mutants first and their ethnicities are largely irrelevant. Danny Rand is one of the few characters whose race actually matters when it comes to characterization and how he interacts to/relates with the supporting characters in his particular comic world. Getting rid of that aspect of Iron Fist would be sort of like making a Peter Parker that was rich and had a totally healthy, living uncle Ben.

So given that, when it comes to white hype and racial stereotype issues, for me it's really less about who should be cast as Iron Fist, and more of an issue of should there be an Iron Fist show/movie period. Because white-ass Danny Rand IS Iron Fist.

Half Asian would make it perfect.

Fits both the "he is considered an outsider at the temple" and avoids the "white man comes to save the minorities who can't fight for themselfs" cliche
The "white man dominating Asian culture" trope is dated as hell, but that is kind of what makes Danny Rand the Iron Fist we know. Maybe they should get a mixed half Asian/half white guy to play the role?

Tall order, I know, considering how much Asians ain't shit in Hollywood outside of stereotypical roles and how much chemistry the actor must have with Mike Colter's Luke Cage.
I honestly think that's the worst idea. It just reeks of Hollywood's usual, "Oh, you want an Asian? Here's half," which is honestly more of a slap in the face than to just flat out use a white guy.

If they do go with an Asian actor, though, I think they can sidestep the martial arts stereotype issue by having the actor speak proper English and adopt western mannerisms.

nicanica

I would like the series to just be a voice over of someone telling tales from the book of the Iron Fists, just telling stories from different time periods

DrSlek

I think I'd prefer Danny Rand have as little changed from the source material as possible. It annoyed me slightly when they revealed the Purple Man's real name to not be Zebediah Killgrave in Jessica Jones.

Though, regardless of race, I think I'd be happy if they can get someone who can capture this light hearted feel:

While also being able to do the serious tone that Daredevil and Jessica Jones have.

Charlie Hunnam is going to end up being Daniel Rand.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
I don't think Charlie hunnam is able to do it. I don't know if he has the acting chops for the kind of role I describe.

Edit:
This would probably be a good move, as you could have one of his parents be from K'un Lun which would simplify his origin story.

I honestly thought he already was asian. Admittedly I know nothing about the character and dont even know what he looks like under the mask.

So um...yes I'd be okay with that.

I want an Asian character, but make him a second, third, or fourth generation Asian in America. That way he's Americanized to the point where going to China and the process becomes a more poignant form of self discovery and acceptance of his heritage. That sort of conflict long assimilated minorities have where they engage some aspects of their culture, but they're distant enough that a lot of normal things to second generations aren't in their life at all. Hell, maybe he'll go far enough to be like "I'm not like that. Oh god, they embarrass me" sort of thing.

He'll still feel like a foreigner and outsider, but I feel like it's amplified this way. He looks the part, but he isn't the part on the inside.

IDK if I'm explaining this well or not. (._.) But if I were given a chance to write Iron Fist, that is the angle I would take.

I want an Asian character, but make him a second, third, or fourth generation Asian in America. That way he's Americanized to the point where going to China and the process becomes a more poignant form of self discovery and acceptance of his heritage. That sort of conflict long assimilated minorities have where they engage some aspects of their culture, but they're distant enough that a lot of normal things to second generations aren't in their life at all. Hell, maybe he'll go far enough to be like "I'm not like that. Oh god, they embarrass me" sort of thing.

He'll still feel like a foreigner and outsider, but I feel like it's amplified this way. He looks the part, but he isn't the part on the inside.

IDK if I'm explaining this well or not. (._.) But if I were given a chance to write Iron Fist, that is the angle I would take.

Oh, I like this idea quite a bit. I want this now.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Why not mirror some true life Martial Arts philosophical rivalries and tap into that emotion of an outsider and Make Danny a Brazilian... ,white,brown,black it don't matter specifically but you could certainly find someone that could fit that bill that isn't the "White European/North American" guy so many are objecting to.

entremet

I never followed street level Marvel so I thought he was Asian in the comics universe.

Guess I was wrong after reading this thread.

They didn't even let Goku be asian in the Dragonball movie. Don't give me that Goku isn't asian, he's an alien. Superman isn't white, he's also an alien.

They didn't even let Goku be asian in the Dragonball movie. Don't give me that Goku isn't asian, he's an alien. Superman isn't white, he's also an alien.

Goku looks white as hell in the anime though, and it complicates things even worse that super saiyan makes you blonde hair/blue-eyed

The idea that the kungfu asian stereotype is as harmful as the white savior stereotype is simply untrue

Because with one of those tropes a non-white actor gets to actually headline a show

Mixed would be awesome, but he's gonna be white.

I just hope Marvel is able to do enough to deal with that tricky situation. Like Immortal Iron Fist did by making a bunch of East Asian characters that were awesome and had agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom